HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

The Adam Larsson Hype Thread

Old
07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
goforit

vCash: 500
Is the hype for Larsson the same as the one for Hedman? I mean, is he better than Hedman?

goforit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Is the hype for Larsson the same as the one for Hedman? I mean, is he better than Hedman?
He's definitely better than Hedman.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:37 PM
sg58

Hedman played with the best available players around him in order for them to help him, with Adam Larsson it's him who is helping the other guys.

Maybe I'm coloured because I think the hype and expectations on Hedman are ridicilous, but Adam Larsson is a way better prospect, and probably as good already as Hedman is.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Hermit Wizard Eater

Do you guys think he can step in to the NHL in his first year (2011-2012 season) and be a first pairing D man?

Hermit Wizard Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Hybbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Wizard Eater View Post
Do you guys think he can step in to the NHL in his first year (2011-2012 season) and be a first pairing D man?
Depends on the team and how he adapts to NA ice, but skillset wise, it's very, very likely. He looked NHL ready half way through last season imo.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 02:15 AM
Komarov47

so we can expect a total blast for Larsson next season ? Will he be a top 5 pick in 2011 Draft?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Hybbe

I hate overhyping young, talented players. I already regret writing that he could make a first pairing in the NHL right now, but I think he'll have a really strong season and be the concensual no. 1 pick for the 2011 draft, but I could be wrong. It seems very unlikely that he would fall outside top 5 though.

Hybbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2010, 11:16 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

The only way he goes outside the top 2 is if he suffers a career ending injury.

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Trotzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
so we can expect a total blast for Larsson next season ? Will he be a top 5 pick in 2011 Draft?
#1 is his to lose.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2010, 09:30 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

i've seen both guys on the ice, and im sure that hedman was better at that age (17-18).

EverybodyLovesRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loscar View Post
i've seen both guys on the ice, and im sure that hedman was better at that age (17-18).
No.
Both are much better than Vatanen though.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 227
Larsson is a beast

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

How has he looked this year?

I noticed he hasn't really gotten his point production going and that today he was on the 3rd pairing, but that doesn't tell you very much.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:02 PM
SurMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
How has he looked this year?

I noticed he hasn't really gotten his point production going and that today he was on the 3rd pairing, but that doesn't tell you very much.
He is having a really rough start... think Rundblad pre-2010..
But I'm not sure we can blame him entirely.. this year we (SAIK) don't seem to have any defensive game left to speak of..

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Names View Post
But I'm not sure we can blame him entirely.. this year we (SAIK) don't seem to have any defensive game left to speak of..
That's a shame. I hope he can turn things around.

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 02:49 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 590
Quote:
I've only seen a couple of games this season, but I think you're exaggerating. Larsson works on the defensive aspect first and foremost, and because the team hasn't had much stability offensively he hasn't been noticable on offense.

Let's take a look at Skellefteå's defense:

Player GP G A TP PIM SOG PPG GWG +/-
David Rundblad 8 2 2 4 2 17 0 2 1 (9:8)
Fredrik Lindgren 8 1 2 3 8 16 0 0 5 (10:5)
Tim Erixon 8 2 0 2 4 18 1 0 -1 (3:4)
Adam Larsson 8 0 2 2 2 5 0 0 5 (7:2)
Ivan Majesky 6 0 1 1 2 7 0 0 3 (4:1)
Pavel Skrbek 8 0 1 1 8 12 0 0 2 (6:4)
Marcus Högström 1 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 (0:0)
Niclas Burström 8 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 -3 (1:4)

Last season Larsson was the defenseman with the most SOG on AIK, 77 to Rundblad's 75. However, Larsson and Norgren both finished with -7.

I'm fine with Larsson shutting down the other team's offense, but of course I hope that the team eventually will find enough stability for him to get involved offensively.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
joe89

To be fair, he's not going to pinch for offense ever because that's just not the player he is. I like the fact that he's playing defense for the team first and foremost, there are other ways to put up offensive numbers. Like you can see on that list Rundblad likes to create offense but he is also responsible for a lot happening in his own end. Playing 7-2 is a lot more impressive than 9-8, no less when you take age into account. Is Adam even getting 2nd unit PP time? Meanwhile, there are other things much more impressive about his game.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Chrass

I know this thread is about Larsson, but Rundblad seems to have taken a step in his development. He scored again today, and from other accounts from people who are actually watching the games, they say he's really confident with his game and forcing teams to be wary of him.

Any thoughts on Rundblad vs. Larsson? A year ago people were saying they weren't even in the same league (i.e. Larsson being that much more heralded than Rundblad).

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:39 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrass View Post
Any thoughts on Rundblad vs. Larsson? A year ago people were saying they weren't even in the same league (i.e. Larsson being that much more heralded than Rundblad).
I sure wasn't one of them. I've defended Rundblad on hfboards for quite some time. For a long time it seems only us Skellefteå fans somehow noticed Rundblad when everybody was only talking about Larsson. Personally I think Larsson will probably end up a better hockey player than Rundblad, he's got so many tools mixed almost perfectly already and he is two years younger. I do however feel Rundblad has a higher (offensive) upside. Even though Larsson has had some great games and played flawlessly he's never showed the same dominating poise Rundblad possesses.

Rundblad has been the most popular player in the lineup for two seasons now, there's a reason for that.

The irony in this debate is that Larsson with his weak season opening just like Rundblad's start last year it's interesting to see how negative ppl get really fast. Rundblad bounced back and Larsson will too.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
Rundblad has been the most popular player in the lineup for two seasons now, there's a reason for that.
because the usual fan only cares about offense. a player can cause 3 goals against per game while only scoring 2 and people will still love him because of his 2 goals.

rundblad improved his defensive game a bit, but i'm still no fan of him. his offensive tools are great, no doubt about it, but i'd rather have larsson any day of the week. even though he seems to struggle so far.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 05:54 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
zecke26: I feel I should inform you that during Rundblad's earlier two seasons with Skellefteå he only had a single goal (two if you count the one McDonell stole from him against Frölunda his first year). There goes your offense theory
To make your theory even more obviously false I'll add the name Jyri Marttinen. However even if you would be right, what's bad about it?

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
zecke26

Quote:
zecke26: I feel I should inform you that during Rundblad's earlier two seasons with Skellefteå he only had a single goal (two if you count the one McDonell stole from him against Frölunda his first year). There goes your offense theory
To make your theory even more obviously false I'll add the name Jyri Marttinen. However even if you would be right, what's bad about it?
in case of rundblad it's of course more about offense. this kid can play and he can look spectacular. he's a pretty fancy player.
my goal example was of course not real unless rundblad really causes 3 goals against per game.

and there's nothing wrong with it. don't get me wrong. rundblad is entertaining to watch. i just think he needs to improve his defense even more. while i enjoy offensive hockey, i can't help but enjoy defense even more. yeah i know, that's strange.
larsson is the better 2way player and i think he will be more valuable in the NHL because he should be able to log big minutes in any situation while rundblad will be mainly an offensive defender.
hard to compare these type of players. i think you need both.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
SurMartin

First of all, let us not forget we're comparing a 20-year old with someone who hasn't turned 18 yet.
But right now I'd say that overall: Rundblad > Larsson. Rundblad is brilliant at the moment, one of the top-3 offensive defencemen in the whole SEL.
I'd still say Larsson is often better in the defensive zone though.

..oh about the popularity thing. I think you're missing another aspect. Rundblad is what you most likely, if you're a girl (or just into boys), would call cute
No but really, I think Rundblads case is a bit special. Many of us Skellefteå AIK-fans were sort of offended by the witch-hunt on Rundblad after that ridiculous wjc-thing, and because of it really "took him in" even more. We saw his every move while others only saw his mistakes.
Larsson for instance hasn't had the need to be defended like that or, like Marttinen, has had to play so self-sacrificing.

Quote:
The irony in this debate is that Larsson with his weak season opening just like Rundblad's start last year it's interesting to see how negative ppl get really fast. Rundblad bounced back and Larsson will too.
This.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
and there's nothing wrong with it. don't get me wrong. rundblad is entertaining to watch. i just think he needs to improve his defense even more. while i enjoy offensive hockey, i can't help but enjoy defense even more. yeah i know, that's strange.
Not strange at all. I believe you are German, and I've seen your guys play. It's obvious that Germans prefer to hang out in the defensive zone in a tight box! (Yes, there is an obvoius inappropriate come back to this one.)

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Ribban

Quote:
First of all, let us not forget we're comparing a 20-year old with someone who hasn't turned 18 yet.
But right now I'd say that overall: Rundblad > Larsson. Rundblad is brilliant at the moment, one of the top-3 offensive defencemen in the whole SEL.
I'd still say Larsson is often better in the defensive zone though.

..oh about the popularity thing. I think you're missing another aspect. Rundblad is what you most likely, if you're a girl (or just into boys), would call cute
No but really, I think Rundblads case is a bit special. Many of us Skellefteå AIK-fans were sort of offended by the witch-hunt on Rundblad after that ridiculous wjc-thing, and because of it really "took him in" even more. We saw his every move while others only saw his mistakes.
Larsson for instance hasn't had the need to be defended like that or, like Marttinen, has had to play so self-sacrificing.

This.
Witch-hunt or not, Rundblad has a lot to offer, no doubt. However, I think the WJC did show that if he ever wants to have a shot at playing meaningful minutes in the NHL, he better pack his bags and prepare to play some AHL for a few years. JMHO.

On the other hand, as a guy living in the NA, I always hang out the NHL as the ultimate destination for all promising hockey players. But, the reality is that quality of life and happiness is not dependent on hockey, nor should it be (life's way too short for that), so SAIK, SEL, or maybe even the KHL might just be where he prefers to play, and there is no shame or anything wrong with that.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote