HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Clearing some things up - Two types of wrist shots

Old
07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Gino 14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
For the record the clear plastic stuff that sits on top of the boards in a hockey rink is not glass, it is plexi-glass and is roughly 3/4" thick. You can see videos of this stuff breaking on youtube. It is an anomaly when plexiglass breaks. This is not what I was talking about and I assumed that this would be obvious. Apparently I was wrong ...

Saying someone can't shoot, throw, or punch hard enough to break a pane of glass is an idiom. I am not the only person in history to use it. Couldn't break a pane of glass.

Thanks for that, it was impressive, at least to you. You missed the whole point of my post but you did get a chance to expand your post count.

Quote:
Believe what you want to believe. I have no desire to educate you.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Saying someone can't shoot, throw, or punch hard enough to break a pane of glass is an idiom. I am not the only person in history to use it. Couldn't break a pane of glass.

To get back on track. Nice post Happy Pony. I am sure that a particularly whippy one piece stick could help you make up some of the power you lose by using a short stick. Your reasons for using one are sensible and as long as you realize what you are giving up in shooting power (which I think you do), knock your sock off.

Look at Jaricks videos in the shooting challenge thread. He uses a very short stick and his shot looks very anemic IMO. Look at how handsy he has to be in order to get any power on the shot. As well his timing is poor and it is very likely because of the length of his stick.

He gets no power from the lower half of his body, just kind of falls forward into the shot. It is very hard to time a strong push off your rear foot and a proper hip torque when your stick is so short.
I misunderstood the pane of glass thing too, but I could definitely break a pane of glass. I know because I have done it before, by accident of course. I also broke a sideview mirror on my moms van when I was 13 or so.

One other thing I've noticed when using a longer stick is that my shot is much less accurate, but that could just be from not being familiar with the length, or the curve I was using.

You're spot on with the falling into the shot analogy in Jaricks videos. I would caution, and I'm sure you already know this, is that it's hard to get a good read on someones shot when they are shooting from a semi-static position in tennis shoes.

Jarick, from watching the videos once through, I'd say that it takes you a long time from when your shot starts until your make contact with the puck, especially with the big windup with the slapper. It's not necessary. I felt like the big windup on your shot is caused by how much of your power you are generating from your arms/hands and how little from your core and legs. The excessive use of arms/hands seems like it hurt your accuracy as well, since your shot wasn't a consistent motion.

If you're generating most of your power from your core/legs you're arms/hands won't be moving as much and that means a few things. The less arm/hand movement you are using the less room for error there, and the better your muscle memory becomes meaning more accuracy (similar to a golf swing in that the more correcting you're hands and arms are doing the less accurate you generally are). It also means you're generating less power because you're largest muscles are in your core and legs, so you should be maximizing them, not making your arms/shoulder muscles work harder. Finally it means you're taking a bigger/longer windup to make up that extra power you're losing by not utilizing your legs and core which means more time for the goalie to get set for your shot. I also noticed in the shots you really tried to be letting go of quickly, they seemed rushed and as a result were pretty inaccurate.

Of course, that all could be because you were in shoes on asphalt and not on the ice.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'll admit I have no clue how to use the lower body and core muscles for the slapper, especially standing still in street shoes. I never use it in game because I have no confidence in that shot. I'm pretty good with the wrist/snap shot. My goal this summer was to get a usable slapper but so far haven't come up with much.

I did sit and watch videos of a lot of NHL slappers, including a bunch of Al Macinnis, I still can't see the use of the lower body. I see that he almost seems to use the stick as a tripod, putting the weight into the stick, and he turns his back foot out as he pushes off, but I'm not seeing how he's generating power from the legs...unless we're talking about skating into the shot to generate momentum.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll admit I have no clue how to use the lower body and core muscles for the slapper, especially standing still in street shoes. I never use it in game because I have no confidence in that shot. I'm pretty good with the wrist/snap shot. My goal this summer was to get a usable slapper but so far haven't come up with much.

I did sit and watch videos of a lot of NHL slappers, including a bunch of Al Macinnis, I still can't see the use of the lower body. I see that he almost seems to use the stick as a tripod, putting the weight into the stick, and he turns his back foot out as he pushes off, but I'm not seeing how he's generating power from the legs...unless we're talking about skating into the shot to generate momentum.
The simplest way I can describe it, since I'm on my way out the door is; bend your knees, snap your hips, follow through.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Thanks for that, it was impressive, at least to you. You missed the whole point of my post but you did get a chance to expand your post count.

No, I got your point. You are saying that you don't have to have a hard shot to score goals.

The problem is you are making that point in a thread that is dedicated to proper shot technique and power is one of the main principals.

So I get your point. I just don't get why are you making it in this thread.

Also, don't quote a third of my post and claim that I am padding my post count. I addressed Ponys valid point and offered some constructive criticism to Jarick. Since he is posting his shot online I assume that is what he is looking for.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

It is the same principal as hitting a baseball, throwing a punch or hitting a golf ball. Bend your knee in your stance and then explode through the extension to drive your hips open. The rest of your body will just follow along. It takes practice to find the proper timing but once you do you will have an AHAH moment.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Awesome video, exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
HowToHockey

While we are on the topic I thought I would drop this link with some slapshot tips the article and video explains where slapshot tips comes from, how to utilize all the muscles to get maximum power, and I also included a link to the video above.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote