HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, it's funny how both writeups you posted have different opinions on practically every player.

Interesting to see us going the NCAA route, while I don't think there's a lot of Bozaks lurking in the NCAA, there's a lot of big kids that can skate and work hard defensively and as we saw last year, having a great 4th line can be a nice luxury.
Yea I did find that interesting. The one thing though is that alot of people liked Testwuide. Its JVR without the skill. They said he can use his body EXTREMELY well, which, even if he doesnt have the puck skills, can be very usefull in the future.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:19 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea, Ive been reading the guys assessments for around 2 years now. Last year when JVR went, he said JVR was so dominate he thought he would make the team. This was when alot of people thought he wasnt. He was right.

Im pretty sure he goes daily, so he is going to do it again on Friday (Billy is going then also, so we will have multiple sources)
After that scrimmage against the Washington Capitals' prospects, it was obvious JVR was going to make the Flyers.

He was dominant all camp, but that game he flat out made everyone on the ice look like complete amateurs, including John Carlson.

If any journalist missed out on that obvious display of sheer domination by JVR at that game, then they weren't doing their job. I'm pretty sure it was set in stone from that point on that JVR was going to force his way onto the roster.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
From what I have seen from some of these guys, I think we have a lot of NHLers in this particular group. Nothing top end, but lots of solid responsible 2 way guys and some solid 2-3 pairing defensemen. The goalies are the real wildcard though
It seems like every year there is someone who sort of separates themselves from the pack. This group is like the others in the past in that some are real NHL potential guys and others are scrubs who will never amount to anything. In the last few years I remember JVR standing out, Downie, Parent, Giroux, and Sbisa. I don't think this group this year has any potential stars but like you said maybe some 3rd liners and character guys. I have a feeling from others observations that by the end of the camp we'll be the most excited about Testwuide and Gustafsson. I should point out that they should be the best at the camp. They are cetainly not kids like Chaput and Ranford. I think I read this was Testwuides 4th prospect camp (2 with was and 1 with Mon). I'm quite excited though that Gustafsson and Testwuide did not cost us draft picks. As for the goalies who knows.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

NHL Flyers twitter:

Quote:
The winning group at the Trial on the Isle was Jeff Carter (bike), Mike Testwuide (kayak) and Mike Banwell (run). Time was 48:01.

Old
07-08-2010, 12:40 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
After that scrimmage against the Washington Capitals' prospects, it was obvious JVR was going to make the Flyers.

He was dominant all camp, but that game he flat out made everyone on the ice look like complete amateurs, including John Carlson.

If any journalist missed out on that obvious display of sheer domination by JVR at that game, then they weren't doing their job. I'm pretty sure it was set in stone from that point on that JVR was going to force his way onto the roster.
Yeah but wasn't that game at Rookie camp? This guy had had him penciled in after the prospect camp already. The majority of us had Maroon in there right up until he was injured.

Old
07-08-2010, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Yeah but wasn't that game at Rookie camp? This guy had had him penciled in after the prospect camp already. The majority of us had Maroon in there right up until he was injured.
That's true, it was at Rookie Camp.

He really had JVR penciled in this early?

I had Maroon as well until he got hurt.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yea I did find that interesting. The one thing though is that alot of people liked Testwuide. Its JVR without the skill. They said he can use his body EXTREMELY well, which, even if he doesnt have the puck skills, can be very usefull in the future.
Testwuide has skill though. He's got a wicked wrist shot and the man can really skate for a big guy. His hands might not be as good as JVR's, but in time, he's easily Knuble/Hartnell good.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:12 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Testwuide has skill though. He's got a wicked wrist shot and the man can really skate for a big guy. His hands might not be as good as JVR's, but in time, he's easily Knuble/Hartnell good.
Oh no when I meant skill I ment not AS MUCH skill. He is also alot more aggressive then JVR is.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Article on Wellwood:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...own_goals.html

Quote:
After all, it isn't often that Eric - a Flyers draft pick in 2009 - is mentioned in a sentence without his brother being introduced.

Aside from the last name, Wellwood knows the comparisons don't hold weight - and he is fine with that.

"Every time they talk about me, they bring up my brother," Wellwood said yesterday after wrapping up the first day of on-ice conditioning at the Flyers' annual prospect camp. "It's funny when people try to compare us, we're total opposites.
*rimshot*

edit: the article doesn't say a whole lot

Old
07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
jb**

Quote:
Considering Testwuide is like what 23 he should be able to dominate physicaly against 18-20 year olds.

I love when people make comparison liek he is JVR without the skill. Well then he isnt JVR or even close to him then. What does that mean JCR without the skill.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:28 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I highly doubt he even comes close to being that good. Hope he does but very doubtful.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
NHL Flyers twitter:
But Carter is lazy.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:58 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Considering Testwuide is like what 23 he should be able to dominate physicaly against 18-20 year olds.

I love when people make comparison liek he is JVR without the skill. Well then he isnt JVR or even close to him then. What does that mean JCR without the skill.
Meaning, less stick skills. Not going to dangle anyone out of their skates. It'd be nice if the specific skills were mentioned, but when people just say skill they mean flashiness usually. As far as the age difference, it's partially true, but he is so big that he could still be physically dominant on the pro stage against older players.

Old
07-08-2010, 02:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I highly doubt he even comes close to being that good. Hope he does but very doubtful.
I have no doubts in my mind he can be that good. I know Knuble lit it up in the NCAA, but another guy who played for the Flyers also played NCAA hockey and he didn't really light it up there. Actually, his numbers were pretty similar to Testwuide's. His name was John LeClair......

Old
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Carter might be the most physically fit guy on the team

Old
07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
FlyHigh

I'm trying to find the words to describe how Briere looks in that picture. It isn't pretty.

Old
07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Better trade him fast before he makes his out of shape teammates look bad again....

Old
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I'm trying to find the words to describe how Briere looks in that picture. It isn't pretty.
An athletic Nathan Lane?

Old
07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
He was the fastest 2 mile on the team last season. But he was really out of shape in the playoffs. Two broken feet at the end of a grueling season... that sucks. He didn't choke in the playoffs. He was just that hurt and that out of shape. Hindsight is 20/20 but the coaches should not have let him play.

He'll come back really strong this upcoming season.

Old
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He was the fastest 2 mile on the team last season. But he was really out of shape in the playoffs. Two broken feet at the end of a grueling season... that sucks. He didn't choke in the playoffs. He was just that hurt and that out of shape. Hindsight is 20/20 but the coaches should not have let him play.

He'll come back really strong this upcoming season.
Pretty sure a lot of us were saying that at the time.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Don't know if any of you check out any of the prospects on facebook or if this photo has been posted before but here it is, the future of Philadelphia Flyers defense:

Yes, that's Bourdon on the left and Marshall on the right. Glad they are good friends, I think they compliment each other's styles on the ice.

Old
07-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Beastieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Don't know if any of you check out any of the prospects on facebook or if this photo has been posted before but here it is, the future of Philadelphia Flyers defense:

Yes, that's Bourdon on the left and Marshall on the right. Glad they are good friends, I think they compliment each other's styles on the ice.
Bourdon's should read "moutarde"... would be nice to see these guys get a few games with the Flyers this year, if they earn a shot.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I was taking a look at the Trial On The Isle pics on the Flyers website and holy man, Testwuide is one big dude. There's no way he's only 210 pounds. His upper body alone makes him look like he's about 220 to 225. As well, from the reports I've read, he's looked very good on the ice. Same with Gustafsson. All of a sudden, I'm feeling kind of relieved about missing a first round pick the past two seasons. Hopefully Hanson can heat up a bit and land himself a deal as well.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

EDIT: Someone posted videos in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Broad Street Hockey posts some videos everyday of the practices, here are two of Bobrovsky if anyone cares.

Pretty standard, but cool to see.

Last edited by CS: 07-11-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Orange Team Lines

Wellwood-Ginand-Hanson
Rowe-Holmstrom-Testwuide
Ranford-Flynn-Gal

Gustafsson-Lauridsen
Blidstrand-Banwell
Hostetter

Riopel
Phillips

Black Team Lines

McGinn-Pither-Harper
Sheen-Mountain-Labrecque
Rinaldo-Chaput-Dowling

Bourdon-Beattie
Marshall-Dudas
Luukko-Hill

Morrison
Rawlings

They played 2 25 minute periods, running clock. Black team won 4-2, when I got there the score was 1-1. The other goals were scored by Kevin Marshall on a pinch from the point, Andrew Rowe on a wrist shot from the slot, either Chaput or McGinn with a scramble in front of the net and it was down the other end, I couldn't tell which one it was. Then an ENG was scored by Everett Sheen. Here are some guys that stood out to me:

Testwuide-Might have been the best player on the ice. He always seemed to be around the puck and he worked well down low in the corners, always forechecking. The Rowe-Holmstrom-Testwuide line for the Orange team was by far its most effective. They did a good job pinning the other teams in their offensive zone.
Marshall-looked much better this time than I thought he did last prospect camp. He took the body more and had a couple of nice hits. He also had a goal.
Rinaldo-he destroyed Holmstrom with a nice but somewhat questionable hit. Easily the best hit of the game. He went on to fight Holmstrom a shift or two later. I would definitely give the decision to Rinaldo in that fight, he got a couple in early and after that it wasn't really a fight. Say whatever you want about him, I bet you that he will be a Flyer one day.
Wellwood-had good speed and made some good passes. He had a penalty shot and made a decent move but Rawlings read it all the way and slid the pad over and Wellwood shot it right into his pad.
Lauridsen-he's huge. For being that big, I didn't think his skating was all that bad. He does look a little bit awkward, but that's to be expected. He's a project, but I think he's definitely making progress.
Hanson-he played well. He has good speed and was close on a couple different chances and had a penalty shot(penalties are penalty shots) that he shot high.
Bourdon-I thought that Bourdon looked good, he made some nice outlet passes and wasn't afraid to skate the puck. I think the issues with his skating are being overblown, he looked fine to me.
Gustafsson-he is tiny. I didn't see a whole lot of him because he was down the other end most of the time, but seems to be a good skater that made some nice outlet passes.
Luukko-he looked a little bit tentative if you ask me. He looked like as soon as he got the puck he wanted to get rid of it and made a couple turnovers but none that caused goals. That's to be expected, he's an 18 year old that's used to playing against high schoolers, not guys like this.
Morrison-played the first period, and let up one goal. He wasn't really tested all that much, but made the saves when he had to. Same thing with Riopel
Rawlings-of all the tryout guys, he looked the best out of everybody. The black team took at least 4 or 5 penalties, and he didn't let up any penalty shot goals. He's got really good size and covered the bottom of the net very well.
Phillips-looked pretty mediocre to me. Let up 2 goals, and both probably could have been saved.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed by anybody. Everyone kind of blended together and nobody stood out all that much, but that's to be expected because we have no blue chip prospects. The Testwuide & JVR comparisons are far fetched if you ask me. JVR is a much more skilled player, and Testwuide is much bigger(weight wise), stronger, and more physical. They are both American, went to college, and are 6'3". That's where the similarities end if you ask me. Testwuide knows how to use his size, JVR doesn't. Rawlings was really the only tryout that stood out to me.

Closed Thread