HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sanguinetti to Canes for #157, WSH 2nd 2011

Old
06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
while im not a fan of picard, based on many of the reasons everyone else lists....most ranger fans had similar complaints about sangs. not to say with more experience he wont turn the corner as picard has played more games, its just all three of mcbain, sangs, and picard are at interesting turning points in their young careers. while picard is third on my list here, he reminds me a bit of young seids, who was sloppy and kind of all over the place early in his career just to recently truly hit his stride as a top 4 guy. my choice would be to keep picard over bringing babs back, though we may be able to get by without either. i guess all im saying is while picard hasnt impressed maybe we're pushing him away a little too easy, and we shouldnt assume too much from sangs. he still is on a two way, and it wouldnt surprise me if he spends at least a little time in the ahl for us too.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
well, whether or not we are in favor of giving Picard a shot (I'm kindof neutral), it does sound like we qualified him. So our defensive situation is going to be really interesting next year, and at the worst we're going to be able to ice one hell of a blueline relay speedskating team between Sanguinetti, Picard, Pitkanen and McBain.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
Interesting...just read that the Rangers were having a bit of difficulty on resigning Marc Staal.
No biggie, they have Dylan McIlrath now.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Interesting...just read that the Rangers were having a bit of difficulty on resigning Marc Staal.
so I just have to ask....do we have the space on our d corps, and do we have the money to throw him an offer sheet? not that i think it is a reality that we would get him, but just curious.....we'd be 3 out of 4

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:50 PM
MD
#woofwoof

we have the room and money but it wont happen

MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
we have the room and money but it wont happen
just following some tweet conversations, specifically abramsdoug and scott cullen, talking about what we would need to do to be able to fit M. Staal, i.e. brindy, samsonov, whit all gone.

abramsdoug, you seem to think we have a better chance trading our 2011 1st and 2nd rd picks for him rather than prospects....are you saying we have no chance, or do you really think that is what it would take to get him? saying same thing on twitter to ya....

Old
06-27-2010, 04:05 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
well, whether or not we are in favor of giving Picard a shot (I'm kindof neutral), it does sound like we qualified him. So our defensive situation is going to be really interesting next year, and at the worst we're going to be able to ice one hell of a blueline relay speedskating team between Sanguinetti, Picard, Pitkanen and McBain.
Speaking of Picard and qualifying, anyone hear anything on Carson. He needs to be qualified as well, right?

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Speaking of Picard and qualifying, anyone hear anything on Carson. He needs to be qualified as well, right?
Apparently JR has offered him & Peters 2-way contracts. Not sure what Carson thinks about that, but Chip has said that Peters wants a one-way.

Old
06-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

If we are not bringing Legace back, and with JR saying that he is going with Peters as the backup, why in the world are we offering him a 2-way? It doesn't make sense to me. Unless his real plan is to give Peters and Murphy rotating time on the big club with 2-way contracts and very short commute between Charlotte and Raleigh....

Old
06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
If we are not bringing Legace back, and with JR saying that he is going with Peters as the backup, why in the world are we offering him a 2-way? It doesn't make sense to me. Unless his real plan is to give Peters and Murphy rotating time on the big club with 2-way contracts and very short commute between Charlotte and Raleigh....
I was confused by this too, I would assume that Peters earned a 1 way contract. There is no use in having him play any more AHL games, because I think he has done all he can at that level. Murphy and Pogge definitely aren't ready for the NHL, and need plenty of starts in the AHL. There's just no point in sending Peters down next year.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
JR most likely wants a 2-way on Peters for contract flexibility. He'll be a rookie here in the NHL and there's no guarantee that he'll be an effective backup, although I'd say he likely will be. JR would prefer a 2-way because if he does stink it up he can be sent to the AHL and not be making an NHL salary, so it makes it much easier to replace him.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
JR most likely wants a 2-way on Peters for contract flexibility. He'll be a rookie here in the NHL and there's no guarantee that he'll be an effective backup, although I'd say he likely will be. JR would prefer a 2-way because if he does stink it up he can be sent to the AHL and not be making an NHL salary, so it makes it much easier to replace him.
Good points on Peters. Though I am a little confused with Carson on a two-way. Unless JR feels better going with Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, Babchuk, Picard and Harrison and again, having flexibility with two-way contracts. However, I can't see Carson wanting a 2-way when he paid his dues in the AHL, developed well, and played in 54 NHL games last season and did well for what was asked and how the team performed. A two-way deal for Carson doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as he is at the point now where he is a serviceable bottom pairing, 5/6 defenceman who can even step into the 4 slot if need be and not hurt you tremendously. Obviously he isn't a top 4 guy today and likely never will be, but he is a guy I can see as someone who can be plucked into the role for a short period of time if need be.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
bleedgreen

carson is a tweener. he earned a spot on the team as far as i'm concerned, but if he went somewhere else there would still be a strong chance he could be up and down to the minors. i dont know how much leverage he has, especially with sangs and maybe babs too.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Both Babchuk & Sanguinetti are the 'sexier' picks, but in my opinion Carson tops them both in the defensive end among other areas. They've all got their pros and cons but i'm fairly certain Carson is the safest, most reliable, polished defenceman who can help you more than hurt you in terms of looking at the big picture as of today. Babchuk carries the heavy shot, but not much else. Sanguinetti has yet to prove anything in the NHL even though i'm in love with his upside and potential. Carson is the safer bet for me and based on how our defence is constructed, I want him here. I'll be rather pissed if Carson is on a 2-way and in Charlotte. If I were Carson, i'd be demanding a one-way and if that couldnt be met i'd ask for JR to play the field and field offers from teams who would give Carson a solid and fair shot at NHL playing time. If JR believes there is no room for Carson based on his own beliefs than fine, but i'd hope he could find him an opportunity before plucking him in Charlotte. If he couldn't find that opportunity and there simply isn't any interest in Carson based on him not being proven enough for the liking of other clubs, than fine, it is what it is and only so much can be done. Carson showed he can play in the NHL, there is no reason he should be back in the AHL so long as we own his rights. He's spent enough time there and developed enough there to the point where more time really doesn't benefit him nor do him much good. His test now is a full time gig in the NHL until he proves he can or can't do it. So far he's proved he can. **** or get off the pot for both sides, Carson and JR. I just don't want to see JR jerk him around. If you're going to gift wrap a 1-way contract for Jay ****ing Harrison, you'd better give one to Carson.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Babchuk carries the heavy shot, but not much else.
I wouldnt rule out that Babs might have improved defensively a little over the past year, the KHL is a pretty low scoring league and its possible that he developed more over there. To be fair, I am being a little hopeful with him, but its not impossible that he could have improved aspects of his game since we last saw him.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
I wouldnt rule out that Babs might have improved defensively a little over the past year, the KHL is a pretty low scoring league and its possible that he developed more over there. To be fair, I am being a little hopeful with him, but its not impossible that he could have improved aspects of his game since we last saw him.
Absolutely. I would love nothing more than for Babs to come back a more polished defenceman. At this point in his career he should be turning that corner. More so than less I'm just going by the Babchuk we last saw. Yah, yah.. he was great for a solid stretch but until it can transpire to a consistency I'm not sold on the guy, 16 goals and all.

Old
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
geehaad

Do we know, for a fact, that these guys are being offered 2-way deals, or is this assumption being made from their qualifying offer?

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Do we know, for a fact, that these guys are being offered 2-way deals, or is this assumption being made from their qualifying offer?
JR said Carson and Picard will be qualified on 2-way deals, and Chip tweeted that Peters had been qualified on a 2-way deal. I think this is a case of doing the bare minimum to keep their rights, I'm sure that Carson and Peters will have 1-way deals, they've earned it. Don't know what will happen with Picard.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

Pitkanen
Gleason
Babchuk
McBain
Sanguinetti
Carson

not lookin too bad here boys

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
Pitkanen
Gleason
Babchuk
McBain
Sanguinetti
Carson

not lookin too bad here boys
Might need to adjust the above now... UGH

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

eh, who knows what will happen July 1. We might get surprised with a Lydman

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:02 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Weathers View Post
eh, who knows what will happen July 1. We might get surprised with a Lydman
I really hope we do if Carson is gone.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Rangerfans

Really liked this kid for the Rangers.

Good luck with him, guys. Wish you all the success.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote