HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gagne has played his last game as a Flyer

Old
07-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It makes us a lot better in my opinion. Healthy, he's better than anything we have upfront. And it energizes the fanbase and the Habs' players seeing Gagne coming in to help them. The GM gave them zero help thus far to start the season and it will puts even more pressure on these players, especially those playing on the first two lines. Habs are starting the season with slingshots. Again.
What he did was add some offense on our bottom 6. Boyd and eller will provide much needed secondary scoring. Also hoping we sign another bottom 6er like torres or moore.

Our top 2 lines are fine.
We have two 30 goal scorers (some can argue cammy is a 40g guy), two 20+ goal scorers, and Pouliot who can definitily hit 20 as well. Not to mention 2 centers capable of hitting 70pts, and playing well defensively at the same time.

That being said, I would still love Gagne on our top 6, but we don't need him.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Captain Saku

I can't believe ppl saying Gagne is garbage lol.

He's better than any of our forwards except Cammalleri.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 05:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I can't believe ppl saying Gagne is garbage lol.

He's better than any of our forwards except Cammalleri.
He's good, no doubt. I do believe durability has become an issue (and before someone says "then so is Markov", I agree with that statement as well so it's moot to argue that with me).

I'd take Plekanec over Gagne, given this. Not enough love for Pleks here.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Rumor has it that LA is pursuing Gagné, which would kill their Kovalchuk run.

That would leave the Isles and Devils.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCammalleri View Post
What he did was add some offense on our bottom 6. Boyd and eller will provide much needed secondary scoring. Also hoping we sign another bottom 6er like torres or moore.

Our top 2 lines are fine.
We have two 30 goal scorers (some can argue cammy is a 40g guy), two 20+ goal scorers, and Pouliot who can definitily hit 20 as well. Not to mention 2 centers capable of hitting 70pts, and playing well defensively at the same time.

That being said, I would still love Gagne on our top 6, but we don't need him.
Our top two lines are not fine. Our guys would be second banana in any teams. To think there's so much money invested there and no genuine stars.

Also Gagne is a much better, more complete player than Cammy. He has had a more constant postion in the league's top scorers. The only place I would give Cammy the edge it's in the age category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
He's good, no doubt. I do believe durability has become an issue (and before someone says "then so is Markov", I agree with that statement as well so it's moot to argue that with me).

I'd take Plekanec over Gagne, given this.
I'd take a sometime injured Gagne for what he can bring more to the dance. What he could add to our team. He's not a small guy. And he can do it all(pass, score, forecheck, he can be a good body presence).

Quote:
Not enough love for Pleks here.
I think most people like Plek and what he brought to the team. But it's when you look at the rest of our forwards as far as lack of size and lack of grit that Plek can become a dime a dozen. You can say well he fits our team that's based on speed. But then you can say "well all our players are the same and that ingredient doesn't make you win cups".

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:14 PM
couris

Pouliote + AK for Gagne

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 02:17 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Gagne is a much better, more complete player than Cammy. He has had a more constant postion in the league's top scorers. The only place I would give Cammy the edge it's in the age category.
Defensively, Gagne could be better.

But as for the top scorer's claim, Cammy IS younger, so it's not fair to compare more than 4 years back.

06-07
Gagne 68 pts in 76 games
Cammy 80 pts in 81 games

07-08
Gagne 18 pts in 25 games
Cammy 47 pts in 63 games

08-09
Gagne 74 pts in 79 games
Cammy 82 pts in 81 games

09-10
Gagne 40 pts in 58 games
Cammy 50 pts in 65 games

09-10 playoffs
Gagne 9-3=12 in 19 games
Cammy 13-6=19 in 19 games

In summary, Gagne has played fewer games in every one of the last four seasons than Cammalleri, has fewer points per game in every one of the four years, and while he had a good playoff in 2010, Cammy had a GREAT one.

Gagne is a good player and someone will pick him up. Just don't over-rate his offence compared to Cammalleri. And the durability issues cannot be totally dismissed, either.

Last edited by BaseballCoach: 07-04-2010 at 02:30 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Jimmy Ballzilly

C. Desjardins + 1st in 2011

=

Gagné

Jimmy Ballzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
It makes us a lot better in my opinion. Healthy, he's better than anything we have upfront. And it energizes the fanbase and the Habs' players seeing Gagne coming in to help them. The GM gave them zero help thus far to start the season and it will puts even more pressure on these players, especially those playing on the first two lines. Habs are starting the season with slingshots. Again.
Ouate de phoque are you talking about?

09-10 season
Gionta 28 goals in 61 games, 0,46 goals per game (14th)
Cammalleri 26 goals in 65 games, 0,40 goals per game (30th) (26 in 56 before his injury, 0,46 gpg)
With 2010 playoffs :
Gionta 37 goals in 80 games, 0,46 goals per game
Cammalleri 39 goals in 84 games 0,46 goals per game

How are those two just slingshots?? How many teams have two guys close to 40 goals? Not that many. After signing big contracts too, I might add, so their chances of repeating are good.

Plekanec is a regular 20 and can go 30
Gomez is a regular 15

With those 4 players, you're already close to 1,50 goals per game if they all play 82 games, 2 other players have to contribute for the remaining 0,50-0,70 goals per games missing on the top 6. That's pretty much doable with the wannabe top 6 players that will battle it out.

One or two of Eller, Pouliot, AK and MaxPac will have to step up, still, the market isn't finished yet. Switching from AK to let's say Frolov will only cost 1,25m/1,75m more than AK.

Pouliot had 15 goals in 39 games, and if he can come back to form, could easily get 20 in.

AK had his worst season so far in terms of goals, if he rebounds, could hit 20 goals.

And then you'd have two lines, producing at 2 goals per game pace, when everyone is healthy.

Having both Markov and Subban in the lineup will give a boost to offense as two lines will be getting better offensive support from the point, rather than just one.

Our offense is nowhere near perfect, still it's nothing as bad as you make it sound.

Mr Nordics fan, did you even watch the playoffs this year? Cammalleri was the definition of clutch, and was more dominant than Gagne was. Sure, in his hayday Gagne would be a notch over Cammalleri, but this isn't 2005, and I'd take Cammy any day of the week over Gagne. Would I take both if Gagne is willing to lower his cap hit? For sure.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 07-04-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Horatio Caine

Per Darren Dreger's Twitter :

Some NHL execs think Philly will place Gagne on waivers, if a trade isn't found very soon.

---

I don't want to restart the debate about Gagne to MTL, but if that's the case, Gauthier has, somehow, to go after him via a trade.

I think Holmgren wants to sign Zherdev and Asham with Gagne's salary.

I know he's expensive, be he's worth it, for now. If he can be placed in waiver, so does Hammer by the time Markov is back.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

I would take him. 1 year short term. You would HAVE to find a way to get rid of Hamrlik if thats the case.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Andros777

I would absolutely grab Gagne at this point, even if we have to buy out Hamrlik.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Stradale

I want him.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Ok, I really want him. Haven't wanted much else this off-season... but I think Gagne would be amazing here. Grab him and worry about cap later. Be aggressive. Kthx.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
any chance flyers let go Hartnell instead ? AK vs Hartnell straigh up . Flyer will save 1M$

they could also trade Mike Richards for Jaro Spacek, they would save roughly 2 Millions!!!!

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
le_sean

Waive Gagné? That's real low. He pretty much won them the Boston series. He would look good with Gomez and Gionta. G3.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
prairie hab

If Gagne actually gets waived (which I find hard to believe), there is no way Montreal ends up with him. There are way too many other teams who could snatch him up first and who let alone would have more cap space.

Assuming we could get Gagne through trade is also a long shot. Philly would actually have to want something we have, and for a player who is injury prone, a high cap hit, and has only one year left on his current contract, the offers for Gagne can not be all that impressive. Flyers will not want anything back in terms of a cap hit, and likely would only want picks/prospects. I think MTL would be foolish to start dishing more picks and prospects for a one-year band-aid/stop gap player for their top 6.

Gagne = Pipe dream

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
If Gagne actually gets waived (which I find hard to believe), there is no way Montreal ends up with him. There are way too many other teams who could snatch him up first and who let alone would have more cap space.

Assuming we could get Gagne through trade is also a long shot. Philly would actually have to want something we have, and for a player who is injury prone, a high cap hit, and has only one year left on his current contract, the offers for Gagne can not be all that impressive. Flyers will not want anything back in terms of a cap hit, and likely would only want picks/prospects. I think MTL would be foolish to start dishing more picks and prospects for a one-year band-aid/stop gap player for their top 6.

Gagne = Pipe dream
You make it sound like it would cost the farm to acquire Gagne, the same player the Flyers are apparently so desperate to get off the books that they are ready to waive him if nothing comes up.

I doubt the Habs will even contact the Flyers about him, but still, it wouldn't be anywhere near impossible IMO. There are ways to clear cap space. He'd be a great fit, so I hope I'm wrong about the Habs and Gauthier finds a way!

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
And hopefully he won't play any as a Hab.
with the habs? no thanks.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
Kostitsyn for Gagne

/ thread!
no thank you.

Old
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
No thanks. Should have drafted him instead of Chouinard, but its too late to want him now.
Chouinard was rated higher than Gagné at the time. Chouinard was considered an offensive zone killer. Anywhere near the net with the puck and it's in.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:00 PM
habtastic

not saying i'm hoping that this happens or that I think it's plausible, but based on some comments I've read, just wanted to put it out there that Gagne is one the best players in the league. The Flyers were done without him. First game back, he scores the winner and the rest is, well, a history we'd become familiar with. I dunno why people would't want him on our team. I think the concussions thing is slightly overblown. Certainly a concern, but if it was for a short amount of time, I would have no problem. This, of course, in hypothetical land. If only AK could turn into a Gagné. Has the tools.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Horatio Caine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
not saying i'm hoping that this happens or that I think it's plausible, but based on some comments I've read, just wanted to put it out there that Gagne is one the best players in the league. The Flyers were done without him. First game back, he scores the winner and the rest is, well, a history we'd become familiar with. I dunno why people would't want him on our team. I think the concussions thing is slightly overblown. Certainly a concern, but if it was for a short amount of time, I would have no problem. This, of course, in hypothetical land. If only AK could turn into a Gagné. Has the tools.
In my opinion, Gagné is not one of the best players in the league. The reason is simple ; injuries.

If he wasn't injured that often, he would be as important or recognized a la Zetterberg.

He slowed down, but has the tools to be an important asset to a contender. He can be lethal when he's at the top of his game, both offensively and defensively.

But I understand what you are trying to say.

Horatio Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
AntonCH

Here's a scenario to consider

Gagne has 1 yr left
AK has 1 yr left

Gagne + for Ak (taking cap relief into consideration)
IFthe habs think that there is enough in the system coming up to replace him and HAVEindeed given up on AK .
Why not take a chance on Gagne?
I'd do it in a heartbeat.
And if philly didn't want him i'm sure someone else would take AK

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote