HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Simon Gagne to Rangers (if waived)

Old
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Bort Sampson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
You're just angry because Dregs is reporting something you don't want to hear. Problem for you is Dregs has always been very credible. He's not a rumour monger. He posts things that are more or less 95% a lock to end up happening.

The wording is important. If they can't find a trade waivers it is. He also posted that it seems they are waiting to announce a Zherdev deal after they move Gagne.
Who's angry? I was angry when it was reported that the Flyers asked Gagne to waive his NTC. This, just like that, is pure speculation.

I don't really care about rumors. I'll be angry when something bad actually happens.

The only thing I got angry(not even, but I digress) at was the OP trying to explain to me how Dreger's twitter account, in which he credits the speculation to "NHL execs", has unquestionable credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adversary View Post
I think the logic in this is that maybe Gagne isn't willing to waive his NTC so the flyers are dangling playing in edmonton to get him to waive it.

I don't think he will be waived, but I'm not calling Dreger a liar because it is conceivable that the flyers would put this out there to try to get a trade done IMO
Who's calling Dreger a liar? I like Dreger, but nothing's happened yet, and this is hardly something to even discuss.

But you are right, it's probably just a semi-threat. If Gagne is going to be unloaded for cap relief, the team getting him is getting a very good player. That doesn't come free. Homer is an idiot but he's not that much of an idiot.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Erika

Flyers Waiving Simon Gagne ?! Really ?! keep dreaming people !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:18 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Somebody flash the Burke/Nonis signal in the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Trunitsyn View Post
Flyers Waiving Simon Gagne ?! Really ?! keep dreaming people !!

Is S.Kost the Captain in Minny?

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:19 PM
icechips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelsman View Post
I would be shocked if he got waived. If he did I would assume the Oil pick him up and try to trade him. If not, let him play and take them out of the lottery
I personally believe that he wont get waived.

However, if he does Edmonton would take him with the first opportunity. They could let him play, mentor some of the young kids, and assure him that he could be dealt at the deadline to a contender as a rental player if he desired (since he is in his last year of his deal). The Oilers have the cap space, and since Tambo has shown that he has common sense I could see this happening. There is no downside to picking him up other than he might win the Oilers some games this year.

icechips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:23 PM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
darren dreger is scum, he is less credible than eklund. dreger makes tsn look like poop, he is the anti-mackenzie. he makes stuff up he has no sources and is a liar.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Makes sense if they don't think he has a role in the organization moving forward and they feel that the capspace is more valuable this year. Sounds like Dreger heard that Philly wants to replace Gagne with Zherdev this summer, no matter what. If they are dead set on moving him and he doesn't want to waive, it could very well happen. Dreger doesn't make stuff up, it's not worth the risk to his reputation.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
icechips

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
darren dreger is scum, he is less credible than eklund. dreger makes tsn look like poop, he is the anti-mackenzie. he makes stuff up he has no sources and is a liar.

icechips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:01 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

0 chance of this happening....some team would give Philly at least 7th rd pick for him before they'd let him go to waivers

(Get on that Burkie!)

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If he were waived, unlikely, but the Oilers with their 13 Million in cap space would gobble him up so fast noone would know what happened.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
JVR21
G

Why is this not in the "All Simon Gagne Talk" thread?

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:31 PM
crazyaces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I'm thinking about making a thread about the Flyers picking up Crosby if he gets waived...
Only a Philly fan would think Gagne = Crosby

crazyaces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:35 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaces View Post
Only a Philly fan would think Gagne = Crosby
Funny crazy, I thought you said you were a Philly fan?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:36 PM
crazyaces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
DG (Dreger In case you feel like correcting me), is one of the most well connected insiders in Hockey.

However the poster was obviously upset, and was just spewing nonesense.

In a salary cap world, you have to do what you have to do. Will Gagne be waived obviously not. The may have to take a really soft trade, if there isn`t a market for him, but he would def. be traded (leafs anybody, squeeze ol`burkie for a pick or something)

Old
07-08-2010, 11:38 PM
crazyaces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
The same way Leafers think they`ll get Bobby Ryan and a 1st round pick for Kaberle.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
crazyaces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
But I`m also a Pens fan before i`m a Philly fan.

Old
07-08-2010, 11:42 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Why are so many people talking out of their behinds in this thread? It's IF Gagne is waived and last i checked IF is not an definitive answer, If a guy like dreger (very reliable) says gagne COULD be waived, why do so many of you gotta get up in the OP's face about it? geez.

Yes it's possible he'll get waived, Although the same can't be said about his chances of not getting picked up by the time the list gets to the rangers.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
0 chance of this happening....some team would give Philly at least 7th rd pick for him before they'd let him go to waivers

(Get on that Burkie!)
The problem is that Gagne has a no trade clause, right? And he said recently he never has waived it...

So if they can't trade him because he's being a jerk, they probably want to waive him....who knows...he could want to be only traded to a division rival or something...

I'm just speculating though...I don't know this situation that great (I don't follow the Flyers much at all) but that's what I thought the current situation here is...the NTC is the problem (if it's still intact??)

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
The problem is that Gagne has a no trade clause, right? And he said recently he never has waived it...

So if they can't trade him because he's being a jerk, they probably want to waive him....who knows...he could want to be only traded to a division rival or something...

I'm just speculating though...I don't know this situation that great (I don't follow the Flyers much at all) but that's what I thought the current situation here is...the NTC is the problem (if it's still intact??)
He hasn't officially waived, but a quote from him seemed to indicate that he would be willing to waive if the situation was right.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
He hasn't officially waived, but a quote from him seemed to indicate that he would be willing to waive if the situation was right.
Thanks for the clarification

So...just as an outsider looking in, maybe the Flyers are thinking addition by subtraction....They get rid of Gagne and waive him, someone defeinitely picks up his salary, and they are able to sign a RFA or their own free agents (if they have any left)

I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that they could get rid of him. If he doesn't want to play ball with his NTC, just set him free and some crap team will take that salary off Philly's hands forever without even having to appease/talk to Gagne at all.

It makes sense from both standpoints. It sounds like Gagne is playing somewhat hardball with them though if they're threatening to waive.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:56 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I know I'd waive my NTC if it meant not having to live in Edmonton...

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:58 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
It sounds like Gagne is playing somewhat hardball with them though if they're threatening to waive.
See, that's the thing. Its never been said that the Flyers are "threatening" to waive Gagne. Its all speculation from some random execs who likely have no knowledge of the inner workings of Philly management.

Its pure speculation at this point.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
decadentia

Quote:

So...just as an outsider looking in, maybe the Flyers are thinking addition by subtraction....They get rid of Gagne and waive him, someone defeinitely picks up his salary, and they are able to sign a RFA or their own free agents (if they have any left)

I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that they could get rid of him. If he doesn't want to play ball with his NTC, just set him free and some crap team will take that salary off Philly's hands forever without even having to appease/talk to Gagne at all.

It makes sense from both standpoints. It sounds like Gagne is playing somewhat hardball with them though if they're threatening to waive.
It's all speculation at this point. Gagne's quote indicates he never waived his clause, but again if the situation were right he may consider it. He even acknowledges the cap issues and why he could be a likely target.

However, and this is very important, there was only speculation from Dreger who says and I quote...

Quote:
Some NHL execs think Philly will place Gagne on waivers, if a trade isn't found very soon.
It's all speculation, no indication of any kind that Philly hasn't threatened him etc. Simply how a situation could possibly pan out by "NHL execs".

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mercury

Quote:

If they trade Gagne for picks/prospects, I think they sign Zherdev and Turco, waive Boucher, and re-sign Carcillo. Not a horrible chain of events, but I have loved Gagne's game for a decade.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Selke

No way he gets past the first three or four spots in the waiver wire -- if it actually happened -- which it wont. Somebody...anybody...heck, the New York Islanders aren't at the cap floor. Why not add Gagne and stick it to 'em if this is the case?

Now that would be an interesting story this off-season.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Gardebut30

I like how this one tweet has caused multiple paged threads on some team boards, where they are convincing each other that this could actually happen.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote