HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile's cleaning out the closet.....Now what?

Old
07-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Any word on our RFAs? Im getting worried about Hornquvist, Franson, and SK. Whats the hold-up?

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Any word on our RFAs? Im getting worried about Hornquvist, Franson, and SK. Whats the hold-up?
There's no pressure, aside from a potential offersheet (really only a threat for Horns). We've had RFAs going into the beginning of October. If this gets done tomorrow or in August, it's all the same.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
There's no pressure, aside from a potential offersheet (really only a threat for Horns). We've had RFAs going into the beginning of October. If this gets done tomorrow or in August, it's all the same.
Regardless, I'd feel much better with Horny and Co. under contract. If we knew the $ amounts on these guys, we could really see how much cash we still had, plus we'd know we locked down our top scorer. Get it done Poile!

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 09:46 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
Regardless, I'd feel much better with Horny and Co. under contract. If we knew the $ amounts on these guys, we could really see how much cash we still had, plus we'd know we locked down our top scorer. Get it done Poile!
RELAX!!!!!!!!

With a panicky fan base like ours, who needs Red Wings?

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Poiles closet is now overflowing again.

Time for a garage sale.

Wonder if Poile can foist off Smithson, Spaling and/or Oreilly for a defenseman and/or backup goalie??

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:11 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

*looks at his predsheet and blinks*

*He looks at it again and finds the file*

*Clicks and drags the sheet to the recycle bin and empties the trash*

Seriously, I have no friggin idea. Would make sense to trade someone for a vet d-man and a backup goalie.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Poiles closet is now overflowing again.

Time for a garage sale.

Wonder if Poile can foist off Smithson, Spaling and/or Oreilly for a defenseman and/or backup goalie??
I'd like to keep spaling ... but maybe that's just me ... the other two I'm down with giving the boot too

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I'd like to keep spaling ... but maybe that's just me ... the other two I'm down with giving the boot too
its more a matter of who poile can get the best value for. for that reason ward may be on the block as well, though i think if we keep wardo he'll have a good year since its a contract season.

makes more sense to trade guys who cant go back to milwaukee. anyone know if spaling would be exposed to waivers this year? how about santorelli?

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2010, 10:31 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
its more a matter of who poile can get the best value for. for that reason ward may be on the block as well, though i think if we keep wardo he'll have a good year since its a contract season.

makes more sense to trade guys who cant go back to milwaukee. anyone know if spaling would be exposed to waivers this year? how about santorelli?
Spaling is still on his EL so he can go back to Milwaukee.

EDIT: Note, the Preds have 8 picks next year in a weak draft. one extra 2nd from NJ. Something tells me Poile may try and score more picks.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:31 PM
lightning_legwand*

Dumont and Smithson for a veteran defense?

The way I see it our forward lines are,

Sullivan Lombardi Kostitsyn
Erat Wilson Hornqvist
Ward Legwand O'Reilly
Tootoo Goc Spaling

So that leaves Dumont and Smithson out. I have been hearing that the Sens may be willing to get rid of Campoli and I think he would be a great addition to our blueline! Small contract, decent size, young, and could benefit from a change in scenery. I have heard Ottawa fans say they like Dumont and I think he would fit in well in their system. Just a thought.

But is there any decent defensemen that we could possibly acquire for Dumont and Smithson??

If not, what do we do with the two extra forward bodies??

And if not, Blum is a shoe in to make the roster!!

We could even throw in Klein in a deal with Jerred and JP.

Blueline would be,

Weber Suter
Bouillon Franson
Blum Parent

Thoughts???

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post

Erat Wilson Hornqvist
Ward Legwand O'Reilly
Tootoo Goc Spaling

So that leaves Dumont and Smithson out. I have been hearing that the Sens may be willing to get rid of Campoli and I think he would be a great addition to our blueline! Small contract, decent size, young, and could benefit from a change in scenery. I have heard Ottawa fans say they like Dumont and I think he would fit in well in their system. Just a thought.

But is there any decent defensemen that we could possibly acquire for Dumont and Smithson??

Blueline would be,

Weber Suter
Bouillon Franson
Blum Parent

Thoughts???
Our top 9 are better if we keep Dumont than the lines you have as your top 3. O'Reilly has yet to prove himself at the NHL level and has never put up any sort of season of 60 or more points. In 4 years, Dumont has been over 60 twice, 70 once and dropped off last year to the 40 range. Even if he has another 40 point season, that would be better than what O'Reilly would probably produce. I have a gut feeling that Dumont is more likely to rebound into the 50-60 point range than O'Reilly even hitting 40.

The other issue I would have is trading Klein. He's cheap and the staff likes him. Why else would they have re-signed him for the contract they did? If we're worried about Bouillon playing too many minutes, how do you feel about Franson playing second pairing minutes? I like Franson but I don't know he's ready for second pairing minutes.

Also, are we sure Blum and Parent are ready to be a third pairing? I have no issue with Blum but we're putting faith in him to be ready.

You've also failed to account for Andersson in all of this. Belak was obviously left off as a permascratch. Also, you make a trade with Smithson and Dumont and we lose some of the depth that we have up front. We don't have a ton of top line talent but we'd be able to run 3 second lines night in and night out and for me, other teams will have a tough time keeping up with us.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:11 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Our top 9 are better if we keep Dumont than the lines you have as your top 3. O'Reilly has yet to prove himself at the NHL level and has never put up any sort of season of 60 or more points. In 4 years, Dumont has been over 60 twice, 70 once and dropped off last year to the 40 range. Even if he has another 40 point season, that would be better than what O'Reilly would probably produce. I have a gut feeling that Dumont is more likely to rebound into the 50-60 point range than O'Reilly even hitting 40.

The other issue I would have is trading Klein. He's cheap and the staff likes him. Why else would they have re-signed him for the contract they did? If we're worried about Bouillon playing too many minutes, how do you feel about Franson playing second pairing minutes? I like Franson but I don't know he's ready for second pairing minutes.

Also, are we sure Blum and Parent are ready to be a third pairing? I have no issue with Blum but we're putting faith in him to be ready.

You've also failed to account for Andersson in all of this. Belak was obviously left off as a permascratch. Also, you make a trade with Smithson and Dumont and we lose some of the depth that we have up front. We don't have a ton of top line talent but we'd be able to run 3 second lines night in and night out and for me, other teams will have a tough time keeping up with us.

O'Reilly has never put up 60 points in a season but neither had Peverley when we dealt him...

I think O'Reilly needs a fair shot, this season, with decent linemates like Legwand.

Also, you are right about Andersson, where will he fit in??

I prey we have Spaling full time next season!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:48 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
O'Reilly has never put up 60 points in a season but neither had Peverley when we dealt him...

I think O'Reilly needs a fair shot, this season, with decent linemates like Legwand.

Also, you are right about Andersson, where will he fit in??

I prey we have Spaling full time next season!
I'm not going to get into a Peverley discussion because I felt he was never given a fair shake here either but, guys who play here, because we are cash strapped team, have to be good two way players. Look at the trades and acquisitions of Lombardi and SK. We are getting two players that can play all three roles instead of Arnott, who could only play even strength and PP and in the process saved money doing so.

I'd love to see O'Reilly given a shot as I think he's got some great puck handling/playmaking skills but if that's all he brings to the table, he won't last long here. We have a logjam at forward now and competition will be fierce come training camp. By all accounts, he's number 5 or 6 on the depth chart up the middle. Unless he moves to wing or we use Wilson on the wing, I just don't know where he fits in. We didn't sign Lombardi to not be a top 6 or top 9 forward. Legwand and Wilson are the other top 2 centers we have. Goc is fourth in my opinion, ahead of Smithson and O'Reilly because of his two ability. So then you have Smithson and O'Reilly as 5 and 6. Depth is a good thing to have as is versatility. Spaling can play wing or center as well which makes him valuable.

At the end of the day, if we do move O'Reilly, I at least hope we trade him for a prospect or a pick as opposed to letting him walk like we did with Peverley. Honestly though, if that's one of Poile's biggest blunders as a GM, I think I can live with that at the end of the day.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Mirepoix

What might it take to get Smithson on the Canucks? Draft pick? Or if the Preds are looking for a lower-pairing defenceman, would Shane O'Brien at 1.6m be of interest?

Mirepoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Whalewood View Post
What might it take to get Smithson on the Canucks? Draft pick? Or if the Preds are looking for a lower-pairing defenceman, would Shane O'Brien at 1.6m be of interest?
You... you actually WANT Jerred Smithson?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
predfan24

Preds fans need to get over the whole Peverly situation. That type of thing was the exception rather than the norm. Another thing is I don't see O'Reilly's skillset transferring to the NHL level anywhere at anytime. Peverly wasn't successful here but you could see the skillset that would allow him to be successful. Fast, good hands, smart, good shot. The only great assets O'Reilly has is good hands and great vision/playmaking skills. That is it. He is small psychically and weak and can't create space for himself. He can be a problem in your own zone because he can't and won't take anyone off the puck. He doesn't shoot the puck and relies to greatly on his passing skills. I just don't see him ever being a NHL regular and fully expect him and Sulzer to not be on the team when the regular season starts.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Mirepoix

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
You... you actually WANT Jerred Smithson?
What's the word on Smithson? Was he not good for you guys last season? Honestly, I can't say I follow the Preds too closely. Vancouver needs some solid bottom-six guys and Smithson seems like he'd be a good fit as our fourth-line pivot.

Mirepoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:25 PM
predfan24

Quote:
What's the word on Smithson? Was he not good for you guys last season? Honestly, I can't say I follow the Preds too closely. Vancouver needs some solid bottom-six guys and Smithson seems like he'd be a good fit as our fourth-line pivot.
Smithson is the type of player Trotz has wet dreams about. His value is nothing but I would be SHOCKED if he was moved. Solid 4th line grinder/PK guy. The dude is all effort.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:07 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Preds fans need to get over the whole Peverly situation. That type of thing was the exception rather than the norm. Another thing is I don't see O'Reilly's skillset transferring to the NHL level anywhere at anytime. Peverly wasn't successful here but you could see the skillset that would allow him to be successful. Fast, good hands, smart, good shot. The only great assets O'Reilly has is good hands and great vision/playmaking skills. That is it. He is small psychically and weak and can't create space for himself. He can be a problem in your own zone because he can't and won't take anyone off the puck. He doesn't shoot the puck and relies to greatly on his passing skills. I just don't see him ever being a NHL regular and fully expect him and Sulzer to not be on the team when the regular season starts.
Well said! I've had my problems with Trotz on some issues but on this one I don't have any qualms with him at all. He tried to give Jones and O'Reilly plenty of time to pitch in and score and they didn't and haven't. It's not about giving somebody ice time they have to earn it. Wilson wasn't handed a job he earned it. He contributed it bits and pieces and more ice time was given and his talent showed up. All that time that Wilson was hurt and rehabed O'Reilly could have put in some goals but he didn't. He may go on and do well but he never has been a big time scorer in his career why should we expect to all of sudden score 20 goals. For every Peverly there are plenty of players that didn't do well after they left here.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:37 AM
roseyc

Quote:

Erat Wilson Hornqvist
Ward Legwand O'Reilly
Tootoo Goc Spaling

Blueline would be,

Weber Suter
Bouillon Franson
Blum Parent

Thoughts???
On your first line you have three guys who have never played together
Your second line should be your first line
You've got it wrong O'Reilly is odd man out
JP is twice as good as O'Reilly
Smithson is ok if he stays on the 4th line. He's a good penalty killer
What's wrong with Klein? He's only been in the league for 2 years. Since he is not a offensive D his skills get overlooked. Did you remember that pass he made to Sully in Game 3 of the playoffs off the boards that broke Sully and Legwand out on a two on one and Sully fed Legwand for the score. Defenseman take more time than forwards do. Blum will make his mistakes. You know more players get more playing time due to injury than performance. Also the pairing of Hamhuis and Klein never worked. Just like Erat and Legwand don't work. Why is there panic about our D? Most teams play rookies. We played Franson and Sulzer last year. Trotz is a defensive coach his forte is fixing defenses.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:07 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Just sign one of two dozen or so free agents who can do the exact same things he does.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

A trade will have to be made in order to not send vets down to Milwaukee, you would think, right?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote