HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Really, check your stick flex

Old
07-08-2010, 11:53 PM
jcorfive

vCash: 500
Really, check your stick flex

I just bought my first "modern" stick. An Easton S3 with the Zetterberg curve. Int. flex rated 65. I was previously using an Easton Ultra-Lite with an 85 flex. I have an extension in the Ultra-Lite about 2 inches. Both sticks are the same length.

My snap shot was not so good. Slappers were hit and miss. Wrist shot was great. (with the 85 flex)

I don't have the best technique in the world but stepping down to an int. 65 flex has tremendously improved my snap shot. Incredible amounts. I almost can't believe how much more effortless it seems to shoot now with great results. I haven't tried a slapper yet. I'm both worried about breaking my newfound awesomeness and I almost never have to take one in a game situation where I play anyway.

I don't believe my technique is that great, but using a lower flex stick made quite the improvement. This is without changing a thing in my shot. Not to mention the mental confidence boost that is given; which seems to help everything else.

Don't be worried about some guys giving you grief because you use a weaker flex than them. Try it out. I bet it'll help.

jcorfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
hoonking

Most people use sticks that are too stiff for themselves (myself included). I could go for a 65 but I'm using a 75. I don't have the money to go buy another $100 stick so I'm using the flex differential as motivation to go get bigger :p

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:05 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorfive View Post
I just bought my first "modern" stick. An Easton S3 with the Zetterberg curve. Int. flex rated 65. I was previously using an Easton Ultra-Lite with an 85 flex. I have an extension in the Ultra-Lite about 2 inches. Both sticks are the same length.

My snap shot was not so good. Slappers were hit and miss. Wrist shot was great. (with the 85 flex)

I don't have the best technique in the world but stepping down to an int. 65 flex has tremendously improved my snap shot. Incredible amounts. I almost can't believe how much more effortless it seems to shoot now with great results. I haven't tried a slapper yet. I'm both worried about breaking my newfound awesomeness and I almost never have to take one in a game situation where I play anyway.

I don't believe my technique is that great, but using a lower flex stick made quite the improvement. This is without changing a thing in my shot. Not to mention the mental confidence boost that is given; which seems to help everything else.

Don't be worried about some guys giving you grief because you use a weaker flex than them. Try it out. I bet it'll help.
Ovy uses a 79 flex no one should be embrassed to use what works for them.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 02:36 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Maybe it's just me but I swear sticks lose their stiffness over time. That's why I've never wanted to go lower than an 85.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also need to take into account the stick type...for me 75 flex low kick sticks feel similar to 85 flex mid kick sticks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:49 AM
HowToHockey

Have you noticed that it is easier to raise the puck with you slapshot with a higher flex stick?

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Other way around for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Synergy27

I've used a 110 flex stick ever since I started using composites about 10 years ago. My game is almost entirely snapshot/wrister, and for me the stiff flex makes those shots much harder. I'm at the point where even an 85 flex feels like a piece of spaghetti in my hands, and I'm not all that big of a guy (6'-0", 185lbs.). This is all about preference.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:41 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
Have you noticed that it is easier to raise the puck with you slapshot with a higher flex stick?
Yes. When I went from a 100 to an 85 I found that I had a harder time controlling my slapshots. Well, moreso than usual at least. I have a decent slapper but virtually zero accuracy if I try to raise the puck more than a few inches off the ice.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorfive View Post
No one has ever even noticed what flex I use. And I had similar results when I switched down to a 67 int. I'll never go back.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
meanolthing

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Maybe it's just me but I swear sticks lose their stiffness over time. That's why I've never wanted to go lower than an 85.
It's not you, constant flexing (through shooting or elsewhere) will eventually wear down the stiffness, but the stick usually snaps before it becomes really obvious.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Pierre Gotye

I have a 65 Int Flex. I think a 75 would be just about right.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:22 PM
IAMCANADIAN

I always thought that the "flex" was determined more by your body weight/height?

What I mean is that I thought the heavier you were (ie 220lbs compared to 160lbs) would mean you "should" use a higher flex?

My son is 12 yrs old (5' 10",130lbs approx) and went from an 75 flex intermediate stick to a 85 flex senior stick. He had ALOT more success with the higher flex senior stick.

Both sticks were gifts. I don't know much about sticks but he broke the 85 flex in his last game and now I'm "trying" to figure out what to buy this time.

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I recently switched to a 95 from an 85, and I think my shot's harder.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:12 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Switched from a 100 Flex to an 85, don't really notice a difference. I think stick handling was a bit easier with a 100 Flex.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
That's funny because I swear it's just me where the stick seems to flex way more than it should for the first couple of games, and then gets stiffer.

Stick flex is something that you should take pretty seriously though, and you should check the flex on all sticks before buying them. I got a stick that was too stiff once because I wasn't paying attention. It made my shots harder but they were so inaccurate it was pointless to use and I hated it.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:32 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

Yep it is very important, I have experimented quite a bit and I even wrote down everything I know about hockey stick flex in hopes it would help out some other lost soul.

I think the cheap (mostly fiberglass) sticks seem to lose their flex faster than the graphite/kevlar composites. I have also discovered 85 flex isn't exactly the same across the board. Maybe there's slight margin of error when rating sticks.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
GuitarAwesome

I have 85 flex sticks and 110 flex sticks. I use both regularly, depending on the game situation. Both are extremely usefl, as long as you have the correct situation for em.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAwesome View Post
I have 85 flex sticks and 110 flex sticks. I use both regularly, depending on the game situation. Both are extremely usefl, as long as you have the correct situation for em.
Examples?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieresSalary View Post
Examples?
Obviously when he is taking a slapshot he whips out the 110, but then skates to the bench for his 85 when he is ready to take a wrister.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
GuitarAwesome

I use the 85 flex when I play wing/center (most of the time)
I use the 110 when I take a shift on D, or play the point on the powerplay.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:34 PM
O23L
Worst tank ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
Ovy uses a 79 flex no one should be embrassed to use what works for them.
Ive never been fun of because I use a 75. I dont think people really look at what stick you use...

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:24 AM
ponder

Have never used anything softer than an 85, but for my next stick I'm considering dropping down to a 77 to get that whipier feel. One question though, for people who use soft sticks regularly, do you find they break more easily? I'm 6', 185 lbs, can I expect decent durability out of a 77 flex stick?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:27 PM
IAMCANADIAN

Well I ended up buying a Bauer Vapour X40 P88 (87 Flex) for my son. I've heard alot of good things about them...and while it's NOT a top of the line stick.....I think it could be considered a mid-level range stick.

Hopefully things work out. Thanks for everyones insight into the world of sticks...I'm coming from the "wood" age!

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 03:54 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Have never used anything softer than an 85, but for my next stick I'm considering dropping down to a 77 to get that whipier feel. One question though, for people who use soft sticks regularly, do you find they break more easily? I'm 6', 185 lbs, can I expect decent durability out of a 77 flex stick?
Im 5'11" 170ish+ and I have been using a one95 shaft since December with no issues and still loving the feel/flex. This is the longest lasting shaft Ive used since all my previous sticks were one-pieces and the blades would go, so I am interested in seeing how long this shaft will go and so far its doing great. Also I give my stick alot of slapshot work too and it takes my weight just fine.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote