HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flip Kuba to the Sharks

Old
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Leave Spezza Alone
melnyk pls

vCash: 50
I don't like Seto too much. I'd glady take him, but I'd definatley choose Clowe over him.

Leave Spezza Alone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Wham City

vCash: 500
Douglas Murray is Anton Volchenkov's long lost Swedish twin. They have the exact same skating stride, body type, hell their faces even look the same. Play nearly identical games to boot, although I'd argue Murray has slightly better puck skills.

If we were ever looking for an Anton replacement he's the first guy that would come to mind.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:17 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

The misspelling of his first name actually makes sense.

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
Kuba has an excellent shot. He used to score 15 goals a year like clockwork. He hasn't been given the opportunity to use it in Ottawa + I'm pretty sure he's had some major wrist problems or something because he rarely elects to take his shot from the point when he worked our PP. Literally passes off 95% of the time which is strange because when he shoots it he's got a quality shot.
He's only scored 15 goals once, and that was the only time he broke the 10 goal barrier. He's also been given plenty of chances to use his shot, as he was the first unit PP QB for all of his first season in Ottawa and some of his second.

bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:24 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
As a Sens fan, I'd sooner bathe my nuts in hydrochloric acid.

To the OP, the Sens need a top 6 forward, the Sharks need a D-man, how about Kuba for Seto? Seto will likely sign for a similar cap hit as what Kuba makes, and it addresses a need for both teams. I've always liked Seto.

The Sens have a glut of Dmen, even with Kuba gone : Phillips, Karlsson, Gonchar, Campoli, Carkner, Lee, not to mention Cowen and Wiercioch who could be ready for spot duty in the NHL as a 7th D-man. We also could have (if we chose to sign them) : Sutton, Derek Smith, etc. We also have David Rundblad, though probably not until next year.
We need a Top-4 D-man like Kuba a heck of a lot more than a Top-6 forward. We already have Spezza, Alfie, Kovalev, Michalek, Fisher and Regin/Foligno to fight it out for the last Top-6 spot. That's more forward depth than most teams can boast.

You've only listed 6 D-men, which plus Kuba is the 7 that we need for this season... with Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba Karlsson in the Top-4, Campoli-Carkner the likely bottom pairing and Lee as the #7.

Cowen and Wiercioch will never make the team as #7's. Prospects like that either play in the NHL or play in Bingo. They don't sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Don't know enough about Kuba to know if this is a fair deal straight-up.
We don't know enough about him either. Clowe isn't worth the 2-way force that Kuba was in 2009, but he's worth more than accident prone guy we saw last season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejamin1 View Post
Kuba has an excellent shot. He used to score 15 goals a year like clockwork. He hasn't been given the opportunity to use it in Ottawa + I'm pretty sure he's had some major wrist problems or something because he rarely elects to take his shot from the point when he worked our PP. Literally passes off 95% of the time which is strange because when he shoots it he's got a quality shot.
It's a weak, low, accurate, tippable shot which is good for screens or deflections... much like Redden's was. But he's never going to be confused with MacInnis, Iafrate, M.Green or even a Souray or Corvo.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Douglas Murray is Anton Volchenkov's long lost Swedish twin. They have the exact same skating stride, body type, hell their faces even look the same. Play nearly identical games to boot, although I'd argue Murray has slightly better puck skills.

If we were ever looking for an Anton replacement he's the first guy that would come to mind.
Check out the Sharks board and see what we think of him.

You don't want him. I promise.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack81 View Post
throw in karlsson and dw might listen.
Aw, its cute that you think Karlsson is going anywhere, let alone to the Sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
Don't go there. Setoguchi isn't available unless the defenseman coming back is a young top 4 with top 2 potential.
Okay. Then sign him already. Oh wait, you have cap problems (only 6 mill to sign 5 players, including Seto). Considering Seto would get 3.5 mill minimum, that's 2.5 mill (at most) for 4 players. I would start shopping the bargain bin or call up some raw rookies if I were the Sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Burns or Staal...
Yeah, good luck with that. If you think Seto (much as I like him) gets you either of those guys without SJ adding (a LOT), you're kidding yourself. Especially Staal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher Catches Bass View Post
Setoguchi's overrated, one good season playing with thornton..
This. But I think he could do well in OTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Hell no. Add Karlsson and we'll add something else, till then, hell no.
Oh, wait... you're serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
We need a Top-4 D-man like Kuba a heck of a lot more than a Top-6 forward. We already have Spezza, Alfie, Kovalev, Michalek, Fisher and Regin/Foligno to fight it out for the last Top-6 spot. That's more forward depth than most teams can boast.

You've only listed 6 D-men, which plus Kuba is the 7 that we need for this season... with Gonchar, Phillips, Kuba Karlsson in the Top-4, Campoli-Carkner the likely bottom pairing and Lee as the #7.

Cowen and Wiercioch will never make the team as #7's. Prospects like that either play in the NHL or play in Bingo. They don't sit.

We don't know enough about him either. Clowe isn't worth the 2-way force that Kuba was in 2009, but he's worth more than accident prone guy we saw last season.

It's a weak, low, accurate, tippable shot which is good for screens or deflections... much like Redden's was. But he's never going to be confused with MacInnis, Iafrate, M.Green or even a Souray or Corvo.
Sure, we've got a good top 6 ... now. But what about 3+ years from now? Kovy will be gone, probably Alfie ( ), sure we've got Spezza/Michalek/Regin, but Foligno is at best a decent 2nd liner. We need good young forwards for the future. As we all know, the Sens are stacked on great young D. But no matter how good the D are, if the forward lines can't score, we won't win many games. If we don't get more good young forwards, I could see us in the near future becoming a one-line team (Spezza, Michalek, Regin) again.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
RBR

Quote:
Okay. Then sign him already. Oh wait, you have cap problems (only 6 mill to sign 5 players, including Seto). Considering Seto would get 3.5 mill minimum, that's 2.5 mill (at most) for 4 players. I would start shopping the bargain bin or call up some raw rookies if I were the Sharks.
The Sharks ARE going to shop the bargain bin and they're going to keep Setoguchi. The team's core is built around Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Setoguchi, Boyle, Vlasic, Couture, and Pavelski. They're keeping them long-term and replacing the other parts as the seasons pass.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:00 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
I'm kinda surprised the Shark's didn't land a big free agent. Maybe they'll end up with Kovy. That would be nuts.
Our salary cap is tied up in Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton line so Kovy coming to SJ would not make sense. Besides, we have other holes to fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilencerX View Post
I don't like Seto too much. I'd glady take him, but I'd definatley choose Clowe over him.
Odd because Seto > Clowe. Seto also has more value than Clowe, but I can understand that you want toughness over speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post

If Murray has better puck skills than Volchenkov then that's just sad.
I don't want Murray with the puck unless he's shooting it. Murray is also a very slow skater.

And for the record, Seto is NOT overrated. In fact, Seto pretty much made Milan Michalek expendable but just had a rough year with injuries.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

Okay. Then sign him already. Oh wait, you have cap problems (only 6 mill to sign 5 players, including Seto).
Where are you getting your numbers from? The Sharks only need to sign 3 players.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Stassino

Quote:
Hell no. Add Karlsson and we'll add something else, till then, hell no.
I don't know if you know who Erik Karlsson is but to us he's more valuable then anybody you could offer us..

Stassino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
Our salary cap is tied up in Heatley, Marleau, and Thornton line so Kovy coming to SJ would not make sense. Besides, we have other holes to fill

Odd because Seto > Clowe. Seto also has more value than Clowe, but I can understand that you want toughness over speed.

If Murray has better puck skills than Volchenkov then that's just sad.
I don't want Murray with the puck unless he's shooting it. Murray is also a very slow skater

And for the record, Seto is NOT overrated. In fact, Seto pretty much made Milan Michalek expendable but just had a rough year with injuries.
Haha, believe me Anton has worse hands, and Anton is not a quick player.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:42 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Where are you getting your numbers from? The Sharks only need to sign 3 players.
From capgeek.com. If they want to have a 23 man roster (12 F, 6 D, 2 G, then 3 extras to spread between F and D), then they need to sign 5 players, as they only have 18 under contract for next season. Even if they went with a roster of 22 (1 extra D and 1 extra F), that's still 6 mill for 4 players including Seto.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Hertl Power

Quote:
From capgeek.com. If they want to have a 23 man roster (12 F, 6 D, 2 G, then 3 extras to spread between F and D), then they need to sign 5 players, as they only have 18 under contract for next season. Even if they went with a roster of 22 (1 extra D and 1 extra F), that's still 6 mill for 4 players including Seto.
Sharks played most of last year with only a 21 man roster. I expect them to do it again.

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:47 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
We can get rid of Murray, Huskins, and Mitchell.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
The Sharks are probably gonna roll with a 21 man roster.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:55 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddenpsyche View Post
Sharks played most of last year with only a 21 man roster. I expect them to do it again.
I'm sure they could, but I'm not exactly sure that Couture was thrilled about bouncing between Worcester and SJ like a Superball.

Quote:
We can get rid of Murray, Huskins, and Mitchell.
Possibly, but you will have to give up something of value to get rid of them (particularly Huskins and Mitchell), and then you have to replace those roster players with something. You also need to find a team that is not only willing to take them on, but also has the cap space to accomodate them.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:56 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
I'm sure they could, but I'm not exactly sure that Couture was thrilled about bouncing between Worcester and SJ like a Superball.

Possibly, but you will have to give up something of value to get rid of them (particularly Huskins and Mitchell), and then you have to replace those roster players with something. You also need to find a team that is not only willing to take them on, but also has the cap space to accomodate them.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too difficult to give them to the Isles.

Old
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:

I think Couture was only called up/sent down 3 times. The Sharks also formed a partnership with Stockton so if they need to send someone for a day for cap reasons they can send them to Stockton.

Old
07-08-2010, 09:11 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
The Sharks ARE going to shop the bargain bin and they're going to keep Setoguchi. The team's core is built around Marleau, Thornton, Heatley, Setoguchi, Boyle, Vlasic, Couture, and Pavelski. They're keeping them long-term and replacing the other parts as the seasons pass.
The only problem with that core is see about 5 top tier forwards and 1 top tier defenseman.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Esoteric Ubiquity*

Quote:
Aw, its cute that you think Karlsson is going anywhere, let alone to the Sharks.

Aannnd that's where your argument sinks like the Bismarck. Seto won't pull 3.5 minimum, not if Pavelski pulled 4. Seto regressed due to injury last season.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
Also I doubt that Murray will be doing any trades with the SJS in the near future unless he can be 110% sure that he wins the trade or breaks even.

So you will have to give up good value for Kuba I'm sure.
If you take Cheechoo out.....Michalek and 2nd was a stupendous return for cHeatley and his remaining 5 years at 7.5 million.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:

A post riddled with absolutely no knowledge about the team being discussed. Kudos to you. The Couture comment was a nice exaggeration. Pretending like Huskins and Mitchell are Cheechoo or Souray is also very nice. Mitchell is a solid young 3rd line player at 1.3 mil. There's a market for him if the Sharks choose to move him. Huskins was a solid 3rd pairing guy. Slightly overpaid for sure but not to the point that he has negative value on the trade market especially when it's only for one season.

I understand you hate Dany Heatley and thus hate the Sharks but try to at least be reasonable when you try to discuss the team. This kind of stuff makes you look rather uninformed.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
If you take Cheechoo out.....Michalek and 2nd was a stupendous return for cHeatley and his remaining 5 years at 7.5 million.
Michalek and moving up three rounds in the draft is a good return for Heatley. Michalek is a good young player about to hit his prime. Sharks only made the deal because of how much salary they'd pay him for the remainder of it.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 05:22 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Sure, we've got a good top 6 ... now. But what about 3+ years from now? Kovy will be gone, probably Alfie ( ), sure we've got Spezza/Michalek/Regin, but Foligno is at best a decent 2nd liner. We need good young forwards for the future. As we all know, the Sens are stacked on great young D. But no matter how good the D are, if the forward lines can't score, we won't win many games. If we don't get more good young forwards, I could see us in the near future becoming a one-line team (Spezza, Michalek, Regin) again.
1) We deal with that when the time comes. There's no point blowing a hole in this team for the sake of one that is 3 years away.
2) We'll have enough "Top-6" players over the next 3 years. The real problem is 1st line players. Spezza is the only guaranteed 1st liner, but we could have a 2nd liner list including any of Michalek, Fisher, Regin, Foligno, Wick, Butler, Petersson, Silverberg, Hoffman, Bashkirov, Condra... who knows. But even with a lot of flops, we should have at least four 2nd line players and one of them will have to fill out the first line. What we need for sure is 1 elite offensive player who could carry his own line if need be. Setoguchi isn't that guy. That guy isn't in our prospect system either. When Kovalev, Leclaire and others money comes off of the books next year... a move may have to be made to bring somebody in as a UFA.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote