HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Ryan McDonagh-3 year ELC

Old
07-07-2010, 07:29 PM
LyNX27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichManitoba View Post
The team wore "Playoff Mustaches" instead of beards.
Yup, I thought it was pretty impressive to be honest...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:26 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
i said it before and ill say it again. we made a mistake on saguinetti. too soon to bail on a kid we took in the 1st round and way too soon to move him for the meazly return we got.

i continue to believe there was something torts did not like about this kid and once that happens, you are good as gone.

that episode in camp last year comes to mind.

he wasnt a torts guy and he now hes gone.
We gave him 4 years, how much more time did you want to give him? He showed no signs that he'd be anything significant in the NHL. We waited any longer and it would have been difficult to get much at all for him.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I don't think we should have moved Sang's, but a 2nd+6th isn't a bad return considering he didn't do much to earn a spot on our roster.

How many players collapsed last camp besides Bobby? I know Torts likes to push his players to the limit, but I recall no other player taking it like a *****. You're a professional athlete in your early 20's, and guys like Voros+Brashear, Prospal+Redden, and MDZ+Gilroy proved they were in better condition than you.

You're digging for reason's to dislike Torts.
On top of that, didn't Sangs get the first call-up when we needed a defenseman?

Old
07-07-2010, 09:29 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Gilroy needs to play wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkMZdmOKuE

There is room for something like this on our roster. Because we are not spending our extra cap this summer, I think Slats is planning on carrying a full 23 man team. both McDonagh and Gilroy can be in NY.
Just what we need. A third line winger!

Old
07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Erickson > Redden
Redden>Ericksson>Gilroy is more like it.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:43 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
We gave him 4 years, how much more time did you want to give him? He showed no signs that he'd be anything significant in the NHL. We waited any longer and it would have been difficult to get much at all for him.
yeah because there were so many d spots open for him the last 2 years.

last year mdz made the team and gilroy was the chosen one. no room for bob.

the year before that, im sorry but exactly where was he going to play ? we had kalinin and mara both signed.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 06:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Yeah sending Redden down without using the cap space doesn't make sense.

If someone wants to argue for Gilroy over Redden it's based purely on hope and age.

The hope that he will improve and the fact that he's still young enough to do so.

Then again, any reporter who supposedly watched the team last year suggesting Gilroy should even be in the NHL might be the better argument.
The cap space would be used to pay Staal and Girardi. Especially if Staal goes from $760,000 to $4 million. Factor in the MZA $1.75 million in salary and bonuses and McDonagh will $1.3 million in salary and bonuses. Leave $1 million to play with for injuries,trades and call ups.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Levitate

Last year Gilroy and Del Zotto outplayed Sanguinetti in camp and provided the Rangers with what they were looking for. They wanted puck moving defensemen with some offensive flair. Sanguinetti didn't give them that in camp. That's all there is to it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:37 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
yeah because there were so many d spots open for him the last 2 years.

last year mdz made the team and gilroy was the chosen one. no room for bob.

the year before that, im sorry but exactly where was he going to play ? we had kalinin and mara both signed.
It wasn't because Torts hated him or anything. Lisin just did close to nothing to warrant him being in the lineup. Oh wait, we're talking about Sangs now? Same arguement, different player.

Sangs was clearly outplayed each year in camp. Last year he was outplayed by both MDZ and Gilroy. When we was a callup, he didn't prove much either. Sure I would have liked him to still be in the system, but do you honestly think he was going to get the pick over McD this year?

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Just what we need. A third line winger!
Its really hard to tell at this point. I think he has the opportunity to be a 2nd line winger.

Whether or not Tortorella sees the same player I do is something else entirely though. Not that im a torts basher, but we have different ideas on how to coach in some instances (See Eriksson on the PP to end the year)

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
It wasn't because Torts hated him or anything. Lisin just did close to nothing to warrant him being in the lineup. Oh wait, we're talking about Sangs now? Same arguement, different player.

Sangs was clearly outplayed each year in camp. Last year he was outplayed by both MDZ and Gilroy. When we was a callup, he didn't prove much either. Sure I would have liked him to still be in the system, but do you honestly think he was going to get the pick over McD this year?
This is the case. I did expect him to be dealt. I did still think he had a shot, but he doesn't now. I'm fine with the return of Fasth and a 2nd because, frankly, I dont think he will have much on an NHL career.

McDonagh, or even Valentenko or Sauer are much closer to what our D needs right now than a Sanguinetti. You could argue that we need an offensive dman for the 2nd pairing; that is a secondary problem to having a defense with 3 offensive minded dmen on it, which is too many.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Last year Gilroy and Del Zotto outplayed Sanguinetti in camp and provided the Rangers with what they were looking for. They wanted puck moving defensemen with some offensive flair. Sanguinetti didn't give them that in camp. That's all there is to it
You mean Gilroy signed a one way contract worth $3.5 million and Sanguinetti was easily able to be sent down?

I'm not saying Sanguinetti proved he deserved a shot last year, but that wasn't all there was to it.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Levitate

Gilroy could have easily been sent down as well. In fact the Rangers did send him down later.

In any case, it didn't matter because Gilroy outplayed Sanguinetti

Old
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
DekeR

I think that Sanguinetti signed his own epitaph when he showed up to camp in the beginning of last season out of shape and expecting to work himself into shape as camp progressed. That didn't sit well with Torts at all.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:27 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The cap space would be used to pay Staal and Girardi. Especially if Staal goes from $760,000 to $4 million. Factor in the MZA $1.75 million in salary and bonuses and McDonagh will $1.3 million in salary and bonuses. Leave $1 million to play with for injuries,trades and call ups.
Prospal's bonus too. We don't want that rolling over if we can avoid it.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

torts didnt like bob. period. once the clown turns on you, you are toast.

this will all come back to hurt us until the clown is fired and slats retires.

this team is going no where with slats and torts running the show.

im not the only one with this opinion.

Bobby showed up to training camp out of shape. (Summer vacation, Jersey kid, Jersey shore...stuff happens) and Torts was upset. And once you get on Tort's bad side, it's hard to get off of it. But one bad camp should not define a career and the kid has a ton of talent and could really be a keeper for you guys. When the Rangers drafted him, he was looked upon as a potential savior... local kid, played for team USA in junior championships, first round pick, what could be better? But when he turned out not to be a superstar immediately, many fans turned on him. Of course it takes longer for defensemen to develop but some fans were impatient. That's why some of the negative backlash about him now.

http://www.canescountry.com/2010/6/2...by-sanguinetti

Old
07-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
I think that Sanguinetti signed his own epitaph when he showed up to camp in the beginning of last season out of shape and expecting to work himself into shape as camp progressed. That didn't sit well with Torts at all.
I've seen this mentioned several times but I sure as hell dont' remember it happening.

I remember he cramped up during one of the conditioning skates, but that's a far, far cry from being out of shape

Cramps don't equal being out of shape

edit: if anyone can dig up reports of him being actually out of shape, go ahead, but I just remember the leg cramps

Old
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I've seen this mentioned several times but I sure as hell dont' remember it happening.

I remember he cramped up during one of the conditioning skates, but that's a far, far cry from being out of shape

Cramps don't equal being out of shape

edit: if anyone can dig up reports of him being actually out of shape, go ahead, but I just remember the leg cramps

His legs gave out on him at one point, there was even video of it, they played it on msg.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 11:35 AM
haveandare

Quote:

Bobby showed up to training camp out of shape. (Summer vacation, Jersey kid, Jersey shore...stuff happens) and Torts was upset. And once you get on Tort's bad side, it's hard to get off of it. But one bad camp should not define a career and the kid has a ton of talent and could really be a keeper for you guys. When the Rangers drafted him, he was looked upon as a potential savior... local kid, played for team USA in junior championships, first round pick, what could be better? But when he turned out not to be a superstar immediately, many fans turned on him. Of course it takes longer for defensemen to develop but some fans were impatient. That's why some of the negative backlash about him now.

Please, for the love of god, talk about something else. Almost all you do is complain about mediocre players and how they're mediocre, not because of their complete lack of ability at the NHL level, but because of a coach.

Its okay to show up to camp out of shape? Of course, as long as its part of a bigger argument about Torts sucking. Wake up. Sangs is a professional, I don't give a **** where you vacation, you come to your JOB ready to work, especially when you know ahead of time that you need to outcompete other professionals who have experience doing something that you're dreaming of doing yourself.

Once again, Torts is the coach, not the GM. He does not sign or trade players.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Please, for the love of god, talk about something else. Almost all you do is complain about mediocre players and how they're mediocre, not because of their complete lack of ability at the NHL level, but because of a coach.

Its okay to show up to camp out of shape? Of course, as long as its part of a bigger argument about Torts sucking. Wake up. Sangs is a professional, I don't give a **** where you vacation, you come to your JOB ready to work, especially when you know ahead of time that you need to outcompete other professionals who have experience doing something that you're dreaming of doing yourself.

Once again, Torts is the coach, not the GM. He does not sign or trade players.
but he has alot to do with whether they play or not.

Old
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

You think anyone here cares about Bubba's opinion? The guys a joke.

Like I said, Bobby decided to **** around during the summer and went into camp expecting a job. Is it Torts's fault he went to camp completely unprepared? Didn't all camp-invitees receive a memo from Torts saying that Camp was going to be grueling? Bobby's a big kid. He's a professional athlete being paid to play hockey. He had a roster spot and he let it get away.

Only a fool would blame a head coach for not handing a kid a job that ultimately didn't earn it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
You think anyone here cares about Bubba's opinion? The guys a joke.

Like I said, Bobby decided to **** around during the summer and went into camp expecting a job. Is it Torts's fault he went to camp completely unprepared? Didn't all camp-invitees receive a memo from Torts saying that Camp was going to be grueling? Bobby's a big kid. He's a professional athlete being paid to play hockey. He had a roster spot and he let it get away.

Only a fool would blame a head coach for not handing a kid a job that ultimately didn't earn it.
agreed. well said.

also i think Torts was far more forgiving of youthful mistakes than i would have been.

the amount of chances he gave to Lisin, and Parenteau, were beyond anything i would have given. also MDZ probably plays a whole hell of a lot less than he did if i were teh coach, and Gilroy doesnt make the team out of camp if it were up to me...Sauer does.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
but he has alot to do with whether they play or not.
So does their offseason work ethic.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

... I don't even get the arguement here by ODC. Sangs was outplayed by both Gilroy and MDZ. So Torts shouldn't have picked the top performing players to make the team?

I know a lot of people soured on Gilroy over the course of the season, but you all have to remember the optimism in the preseason. The guy was looking like a diamond in the rough. Then there was MDZ. And then there was Sangs - same story, different opportunity.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Levitate

and I still don't get the "Sanguinetti came to camp out of shape" narrative. I looked back at the training camp thread...Sanguinetti cramped up in one of the conditioning skates but still finished, and was praised for gutting it out. Another spin on it was that he went too hard for the first part and then cramped up at the end stretch.

From there it became "Sanguinetti was out of shape!" and things took off from there for some reason, and now we're at the point of saying "yeah he was just partying on the beach and it's totally understandable" which for some reason is being used to both excuse his not making the team and to crucify him for not making the team.

Also, Sanguinetti trained with Kris Draper that summer, he flat out states that, so no he wasn't just hanging out at the beach getting fat or something.

I still kinda like Sangs, but there's some rewriting of history here. He got outplayed, and he didn't display the offensive skills the Rangers were really looking for, while Del Zotto and Gilroy did.