HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trial on the Isle - July 8

Old
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM
agrudez*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
There's no way someone could bike 10 miles in 10-15 minutes...have you ever seen a bicycle go 40+ miles per hour? That time is still very impressive, nonetheless.
in hindsight 10 minutes was a miscalculation on my part, but 10 miles in 15 minutes is certainly doable. I do 10 miles in 40 minutes on a spin bike (added resistance+multiple, very difficult positions), which could EASILY translate to 10 miles in 20 minutes and I am not in the slightest pretending to be in Jeff Carter shape.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:37 AM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
He just bought a house in Sea Isle. He should have just stayed in Sea isle where all the ****ing ********** are.
Agreed

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
tsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
in hindsight 10 minutes was a miscalculation on my part, but 10 miles in 15 minutes is certainly doable. I do 10 miles in 40 minutes on a spin bike (added resistance+multiple, very difficult positions), which could EASILY translate to 10 miles in 20 minutes and I am not in the slightest pretending to be in Jeff Carter shape.
I agree, I think 10 in 20 would make sense, I'm around the same on the stationary bike as well...I think the fastest Lance Armstrong ever averaged was around 39mph so 10 in 20 is definitely possible, especially over such a short distance.

tsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I would like to say I would love to take that avatar if it was made for me. Sadly the Carter moment did leave a lasting impression though. I love the Flyers a ton and the last thing I want is for a player on the team I follow daily to be a jerk to me.

Anyway, I don't really mind. Besides that the event was still awesome.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

You know what, you should of told him to lighten up or something. I'm sure the management would of dealt with him if he didn't settle down.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
thomaszwei

I've never actually met a Flyer in person, but I have a story about Emery. Last season, I took a bus trip to a Flyers game, and on the bus, the held a raffle which would allow the winner to sit in the penalty box during the pre-skate. Well, I won the raffle, so I went on down and took some really good pictures. I made eye contact with Emery as he was putting down his mask - he could clearly see me setting up to take his picture. So he stopped for a couple of seconds, let me snap off a few. I flashed him a thumbs up and he went on his way. He gave me sort of a nod, acknowledged my presence. That was cool. At the end of the pre-skate, Hartnell flipped a bunch pucks to some nearby kids. I tried like hell to get one during the pre-skate, but the players weren't biting.

The other cool part about that trip was that I met Lauren Hart, who was incredibly nice and well-spoken. The guy running the trip had a grandmother who died of cancer, and he had spoken with her about doing a meet-and-greet; being a cancer survivor herself, she obliged. She really knew a lot about hockey - players, numbers, history, all kinds of stuff, which sort of surprised me - more then just a pretty face and a voice, that's for sure. She had an incredible set of pins from her years with the organization and seemingly loved explaining them to me - specifically, one with Roger Nieleson who also survived cancer. Really thinking about things, she is Gene Hart's daughter and she's around the team constantly, so it makes sense that she'd know a lot. It's just not something you'd typically think.

The rest of trip itself actually ended up being a pretty horrible experience, because the guy running the trip lost our tickets and we had to go through this huge hassle to get our seats. It didn't work out because whoever printed out what he thought were our seats actually turned out to be someone else's and we just ended up sitting down in the AT&T Pavillion. But still, the Emery and Lauren Hart moments really made the trip worthwhile.

I later wrote Lauren Hart some fanmail, telling her that was the only real highlight of my day (besides the Flyers winning), but she never replied. I imagine she gets fanmail all the time though, so that's to be expected.

thomaszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:08 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquad View Post
I agree, I think 10 in 20 would make sense, I'm around the same on the stationary bike as well...I think the fastest Lance Armstrong ever averaged was around 39mph so 10 in 20 is definitely possible, especially over such a short distance.
10 miles in 20 minutes would make sense for hockey players (super-trained legs), but the bikes they were on didn't look like proper road bikes to me. It would be really hard to hit thirty on one of those things, I don't even think they're geared to hit thirty with out pedaling your ass off.

Wow. Lance Armstrong averaged 39mph over how long a distance? Maybe a downhill stage of the Tour de France or something? That's ridiculously fast for anything other than a short sprint.

Just as a reference point, in the Summer I train on a road bike equipped with a computer (not one of the stationary ones). I am not too far better or worse than average for a cyclist, and my pace over an hour ride is usually about 19-21mph. On flat land I can't sprint above 30, but I'm a slow sprinter. The kinds of bikes they are on are probably way slower than that though.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 07-10-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:31 AM
kicksave27

Carter has always been nice when I met him. Maybe he was just having a bad day, it happens.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:49 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, I enjoy making judgments on a person after a 30 second interaction with them.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
2Claude2Giroux

anyone know if they're having it this year?

I imagine they would be since it's pretty successful, but I haven't heard anything about it and July is coming up soon.

Maybe I missed an announcement?

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea if you go to philly.com, they have the interview there. Must be hard for him when you cant understand anyone around you, and they cant understand you. I do think he will take some English classes this year, especially if he lives up to his hype.

Ok Im calling this **** right now. This season, due to an injury to our starting goalie, Bob will start an NHL game for us. Long shot? yes. But Im calling it now.
Called this ****.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote