HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2010 Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2010, 12:04 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

vCash: 500
Is it possible that Nash is playing this card to get a 1 way deal worth more cash, but would still be willing to go to the A if need be. "Sure ill go to the AHL but im going to be making 500k when i do it." Maybe this is about cash and not where he actually plays.

I have no idea i just thought i would throw it out there.

Old
07-08-2010, 12:07 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I think there is a middle ground here, where Nash sees a good opportunity to start in Raleigh whereas he'd likely start the season in OKC with Edmonton. Even if he's beaten out by Matsumoto and Dwyer, there's a good opportunity to play as the season progresses whether due to injury or a regular rotation of younger players like we saw last year.

Is a 1-way contract even an option? Doesn't Nash have to accept the standard entry-level contract that is 2-way?
thats likely the hangup for him. if he doesnt know he has a spot and he doesnt want to hang in the minors he can wait a year and go ufa to sign a one way. id think if he is ufa he wouldnt be required to be two way, but someone else probably knows better about that. sounds like he wants to be nhl or college, and he does have the leverage to make that choice right now. we have two spots for grabs, he is likely good enough for one of them which gives us time for skinner and dalpe to not be rushed.

Old
07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerodynamic View Post
Is it possible that Nash is playing this card to get a 1 way deal worth more cash, but would still be willing to go to the A if need be. "Sure ill go to the AHL but im going to be making 500k when i do it." Maybe this is about cash and not where he actually plays.

I have no idea i just thought i would throw it out there.

If that is the case i'd really not be happy with him. You don't just get handed (or demand) a 1-way for $500,000 when you're unproven at no level higher than NCAA. I am pretty sure when Blake Wheeler came out of NCAA and signed with Boston it was 2-way with a base salary of around $875,000 + bonuses at the NHL level. I don't know all of the details on his deal, however. TSN says it was an entry level contract.

It would be no different if Boychuk had of said 'I want a 1-way contract/guaranteed roster spot or I will go back and play in Lethbridge and end up back in the draft and try and get it from whoever drafts me because I feel I am ready and don't want to play in the AHL'. Or Jamie McBain saying 'I want a guaranteed roster spot or I'll finish playing NCAA in Wisonsin because I don't want to play in the AHL'. I just don't agree with it whether it be a little leverage on his side or not. Most 21 year olds arent looking for leverage, they're more drive-focused on doing what it takes to get their name on an NHL roster by putting in the work to do so and accomplish that life long dream. It's possible I just see it in a different light.

With all this being said, I really want the kid here as I too believe he could play in the NHL at the 3rd line center spot. All else being said, I just want him to have to prove he is worthy of it. I just don't like the idea of giving him anything when it isn't really warranted.

Last edited by Guerzy: 07-08-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old
07-08-2010, 05:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Just got back from the prospect camp skating session, here are some of my thoughts on the new guys:

Danny Biega #41 - didn't really notice him out there, he didn't have any exceptional skillset that stood out to me but also didn't really have any negatives that stood out. Would have to really focus on the defensemen for me to make note of anything.

Tyler Stahl #64 - positioning wasn't bad, skating was a bit awkward. Fairly well composed with the puck on his stick and a decent passer, but didn't really stand out as being exceptionally strong in that area.

Austin Levi #51 - huge frame and he was skating very well at the start. May have some conditioning issues as he was slowing down the longer the practice went on. Struggled with handling the puck and it really showed in the quick passing drill the defenders did. It seemed like he was reacting to the puck being on his stick rather then planning on what to do with it before he had it. Defensively he was impressive though doing a good job of closing the passing lanes on the 2 on 1 drills.

Justin Faulk #42 - Good skater, good passer, monster of a shot but needs to work on his accuracy.

Lalonde-McNicoll #58 - Odd to say but his reaction time seemed to be a bit slower then the other forwards. Other then that he didn't really stand out.

Jared Staal #34 - The more I saw of him the more I thought his lack of production was more due to the Sudbury team he was on. Didn't do anything exceptionally well but with his frame and with the fact that he didn't really struggle with anything I saw that leads me to believe he was playing with inferior talent ala Sutter with Red Deer.

Riley Nash #23 - Good size, good skater, good passing, but he really didn't stand out as being the best forward out there. Needs some work on his shot if he wants to make the team. Personally I think he'd be better suited playing a year in the AHL, there's little more for him to learn at the college level.

Justin Shugg #52 - Didn't have much of any exceptional skill set but very sneaky player that seemed to get himself in the right places at the right times any time Cam or whoever the other goalie was gave up a rebound. Will benefit from being the go-to guy on Windsor next season.

Jeff Skinner #53 - His skating needs some work, more in terms of the type of stride he takes then in the actual power behind his strides. Sick wrist shot and very creative with the puck behind the net. Very strong passer on his forehand but on his backhand he seemed to struggle.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-08-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old
07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Just got back from the prospect camp skating session, here are some of my thoughts on the new guys:

Danny Biega #41 - didn't really notice him out there, he didn't have any exceptional skillset that stood out to me but also didn't really have any negatives that stood out. Would have to really focus on the defensemen for me to make note of anything.

Tyler Stahl #64 - positioning wasn't bad, skating was a bit awkward. Fairly well composed with the puck on his stick and a decent passer, but didn't really stand out as being exceptionally strong in that area.

Austin Levi #51 - huge frame and he was skating very well at the start. May have some conditioning issues as he was slowing down the longer the practice went on. Struggled with handling the puck and it really showed in the quick passing drill the defenders did. It seemed like he was reacting to the puck being on his stick rather then planning on what to do with it before he had it. Defensively he was impressive though doing a good job of closing the passing lanes on the 2 on 1 drills.

Justin Faulk #42 - Good skater, good passer, monster of a shot but needs to work on his accuracy.

Lalonde-McNicoll #58 - Odd to say but his reaction time seemed to be a bit slower then the other forwards. Other then that he didn't really stand out.

Jared Staal #34 - The more I saw of him the more I thought his lack of production was more due to the Sudbury team he was on. Didn't do anything exceptionally well but with his frame and with the fact that he didn't really struggle with anything I saw that leads me to believe he was playing with inferior talent ala Sutter with Red Deer.

Riley Nash #23 - Good size, good skater, good passing, but he really didn't stand out as being the best forward out there. Needs some work on his shot if he wants to make the team. Personally I think he'd be better suited playing a year in the AHL, there's little more for him to learn at the college level.

Justin Shugg #52 - Didn't have much of any exceptional skill set but very sneaky player that seemed to get himself in the right places at the right times any time Cam or whoever the other goalie was gave up a rebound. Will benefit from being the go-to guy on Windsor next season.

Jeff Skinner #53 - His skating needs some work, more in terms of the type of stride he takes then in the actual power behind his strides. Sick wrist shot and very creative with the puck behind the net. Very strong passer on his forehand but on his backhand he seemed to struggle.
Thanks for the thoughts..... i know many of us who cant make it out there appreciate it.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:01 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:

Nice write up. What did you think of Kivisto and Rissanen? I think Stahl is more sound in his own end than Rissanen and to be honest I don't see much of a future for him. Kivisto on the other hand is a very intriguing pick.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:12 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Lebron, in a shocking move, has announced he has signed a contract to play left wing for the Carolina Hurricanes.

Old
07-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Incubation

Send a message via MSN to Incubation
Quote:

Tnx DaveG!

Old
07-08-2010, 08:02 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
Nice write up. What did you think of Kivisto and Rissanen? I think Stahl is more sound in his own end than Rissanen and to be honest I don't see much of a future for him. Kivisto on the other hand is a very intriguing pick.
Rissanen didn't really stand out much to me, we'll see what comes of it though. There wasn't a lot of hitting (nor is there typically in a camp like this) and that's frankly his game in juniors. He's not that great on the puck though that's for sure. Hopefully we see more of his game at the WJCs and in Traverse City.

Kivisto on the other hand, and I've said it for a while, was a steal. He's damn solid defensively already and while he's not a very fast skater he's strong on his feet and has good positioning. He was good at breaking up play around the net today. He's a lot like Wallin IMO.

Old
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I didnt know he retired either. He started out hot for Albany in his first stint in the AHL in 2006-2007. He played 11 games and accumulated 1 goal & 6 assists. After that, nothin'.
Babin had knee problems in his first pro season and then he had concussion problems as well as the result of a cheap shot iirc. Think he got suckered and broke his jaw.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 950
Random thought for the day... Has anyone heard anything about Aaron Ward? I can't imagine many teams being interested in signing a pylon, but haven't heard of any retirement either. Is there some team out there desperate/drunk enough to sign him, or does he get to retire due to lack of interest?

Old
07-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post
Random thought for the day... Has anyone heard anything about Aaron Ward? I can't imagine many teams being interested in signing a pylon, but haven't heard of any retirement either. Is there some team out there desperate/drunk enough to sign him, or does he get to retire due to lack of interest?
There are tons of players like him hanging around out there looking for work that will ultimately be forced to retire or accept well below their market value. Jay McKee is another guy in the same situation.

His days of making $2 million per season are done. If he can't swallow his pride and accept that, then he's forcibly retired. At this stage, I wouldn't trust him for anything except spot duty.

Speaking of which, I heard a report that Mike Van Ryn will sit out the 10-11 season. He may be done for good. Sometimes there are cases where the hockey Gods balance the score. I have never heard of a case where a player circumvented the draft process to pick their own destination where it didn't come back on them.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Walker's another one that has yet to be signed. Legace as well

Old
07-09-2010, 10:20 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
I thought he looked pretty decent out there. He seemed confident and poised compared to some of the others. Not a great skillset, as you said.

Quote:
Austin Levi #51 - huge frame and he was skating very well at the start. May have some conditioning issues as he was slowing down the longer the practice went on.
He also has a hell of a shot.

Quote:
I wasn't impressed, can't see this guy up against NHL competition.

Quote:
It was a treat to see him torch Cam, though

I thought Rissanen looked pretty weak as well, at least from a skillset point of view. If he's a hitter, maybe we'll see more out of him in camp.

Old
07-09-2010, 10:21 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Speaking of which, I heard a report that Mike Van Ryn will sit out the 10-11 season. He may be done for good. Sometimes there are cases where the hockey Gods balance the score. I have never heard of a case where a player circumvented the draft process to pick their own destination where it didn't come back on them.
I thought he was out with a knee injury?

Old
07-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I thought he was out with a knee injury?
He is going to sit out with injury this upcoming season, but I can't see interest being very high for a player who has missed two consecutive years of hockey and part of the third with injuries. He'll have to go somewhere to try out if he wants to play. A comeback attempt would have to start at 32-33 years old.

I was talking about the number he pulled on the Devils, who drafted him, that he circumvented to play with the Blues. His career turned for the worse after that and now at 31, he's potentially out of hockey for good simply because he was trying to expedite the passing of his entry level contract so he could start making the big bucks.

Old
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Post #1117? Looks like time for a new thread no?

Old
07-09-2010, 11:34 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Sheesh, I had no idea he was 31 already. How time flies.

Old
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Sheesh, I had no idea he was 31 already. How time flies.
Want to feel even older? David Tanabe turns 30 in July.

Old
07-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
Post #1117? Looks like time for a new thread no?
Good call; I always forget about that rule.