HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Changes in Hartford Continue!

Old
07-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Burke1

vCash: 500
Changes in Hartford Continue!

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,711595.column

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-n...0,942850.story

Last edited by Burke1: 07-03-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Burke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Captain Esoteric

Hmmm...AEG and an independently-owned Wolf Pack. Could we be looking at the 2011 affiliate of the LA Kings here?

That's not to say Manchester would be left without a team. I imagine they would not have any trouble landing another affiliate or owner in the 2011 shakeup. It could even end up something like what happened in Reading in the ECHL when the Kings moved their affiliate to Ontario, California but kept an ownership interest in the Reading Royals.

Just one of the many scenarios that may play out in Hartford next season.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Esoteric View Post
Hmmm...AEG and an independently-owned Wolf Pack. Could we be looking at the 2011 affiliate of the LA Kings here?

That's not to say Manchester would be left without a team. I imagine they would not have any trouble landing another affiliate or owner in the 2011 shakeup. It could even end up something like what happened in Reading in the ECHL when the Kings moved their affiliate to Ontario, California but kept an ownership interest in the Reading Royals.

Just curious - why on earth would LA leave Manchester to go to Hartford?

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
Just curious - why on earth would LA leave Manchester to go to Hartford?
If AEG wants to partner with Baldwin to give him a post-Ranger affiliate to play in the AEG-managed XL Center. Reports from Courant sports reporters notwithstanding, many have forseen the imminent ending of the Rangers tenure in Hartford (be it through sale of the team to Baldwin or something a little more sinister).

In other words, think of it being similar to the reason the Wolf Pack ended up in Hartford in the first place, only replace MSG with AEG.

Old
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:

That would be my DREAM come true!! I really hope that's what happens!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:12 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
If AEG wants to partner with Baldwin to give him a post-Ranger affiliate to play in the AEG-managed XL Center. Reports from Courant sports reporters notwithstanding, many have forseen the imminent ending of the Rangers tenure in Hartford (be it through sale of the team to Baldwin or something a little more sinister).

In other words, think of it being similar to the reason the Wolf Pack ended up in Hartford in the first place, only replace MSG with AEG.
you forget one very important point, Esoteric, doesn't AEG ALREADY OPERATE in Manchester as well as VWA, they'd have to divest themselves also of the LA Kings, how stupid will it be to the affiliate of the Kings if they don't own them, also how foolish is tht in the scenario where the Kings send players up through a 3rd AEG Owned FRANCHISE, aka the Reign, think about it longgggggggggggg AND HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDD,

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you forget one very important point, Esoteric, doesn't AEG ALREADY OPERATE in Manchester as well as VWA, they'd have to divest themselves also of the LA Kings, how stupid will it be to the affiliate of the Kings if they don't own them, also how foolish is tht in the scenario where the Kings send players up through a 3rd AEG Owned FRANCHISE, aka the Reign, think about it longgggggggggggg AND HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDD,
i remember one very important point, Anhutch, can't AEG OPERATE ELSEWHERE in Hartford as well as XL Center, they can divest themselves also of the MANCHESTER Monarchs, how smart will it be to the affiliate of the Wolf Pack if they own them instead, also how intelligent is tht scenario where the Kings send players up through an Arena MANAGED by AEG not SMG, aka Verizon Wireless Arena did I ever thunk about it farrrrrrrrrrrr AND WIDEEEEEEEEEEE,

Old
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
That would be my DREAM come true!! I really hope that's what happens!
It could happen, but there are many other scenarios that can play out.

For example:

in 2011...
Rochester dumps Florida to pick up the Rangers from Hartford
With Florida available, Norfolk kicks Tampa Bay to the curb and grabs the Panthers
Baldwin and whoever his investors are get stuck with the Lightning

I guess we will have to wait and see

Old
07-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Rumblick

Quote:

I understand the rangers may leave Hartford. What I'm asking is, why would AEG, who owns the Kings and operates the VWA, leave the newer arena in Manchester to settle into the much older building in Hartford?

Quote:
It could happen, but there are many other scenarios that can play out.

For example:

in 2011...
Rochester dumps Florida to pick up the Rangers from Hartford
With Florida available, Norfolk kicks Tampa Bay to the curb and grabs the Panthers
Baldwin and whoever his investors are get stuck with the Lightning

I guess we will have to wait and see
You're getting a real early start on the silly season.

Old
07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
I understand the rangers may leave Hartford. What I'm asking is, why would AEG, who owns the Kings and operates the VWA, leave the newer arena in Manchester to settle into the much older building in Hartford?
SMG manages the VWA. My theory was that AEG would move out on supporting their competitor and pledge the team to a AEG-managed facility.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that Howard Baldwin never purchases a team with his own money (look up "Schlegel" and "Iowa Stars"). I wonder who it is this time financing Howard's hockey endeavors. It could be AEG so they can ensure they have a tenant for their arena.

Quote:
You're getting a real early start on the silly season.
Ninety-five degree temperatures + poolside WiFi + beer = an early silly season indeed

Old
07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Quote:
SMG manages the VWA. My theory was that AEG would move out on supporting their competitor and pledge the team to a AEG-managed facility.
Oops - sorry. I was misinformed. I still don't think the Kings would want their affiliate moved from Manchester to Hartford, but at least I grasp the thought process now.

BTW, if the Rangers leave Hartford, I agree that it'll be to place a team in NY State, but I don't seriously consider Rochester an option for them.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:

One thing I forgot to mention before is that Howard Baldwin never purchases a team with his own money (look up "Schlegel" and "Iowa Stars"). I wonder who it is this time financing Howard's hockey endeavors. It could be AEG so they can ensure they have a tenant for their arena.

Ninety-five degree temperatures + poolside WiFi + beer = an early silly season indeed
YOU'RE STILL MISINFORMED, Esoteric, going back to your original post and all the way back to 1997, as well.... the Rangers bought the franchise, didn't they back then as the current operators or stewards of the Binghamton Senators, know quite well tht Ottawa owns the AHL Senators and it's a lease through the Senators that allow tht to occur... Hasn't the point been raised when the Rangers came to Hartford tht it's a lot closer to MSG than Binghamton.

2) Baldwin sold the Stars, didn't he, after tht 1st season in Des Moines which was convieniently forgotten in tht plan of yours.

3) since when has Louisville or Iowa, for tht matter, been an issue, but to serve as an ugly reminder of how not to operate a pro franchise as the Schlegels, and the Afr's before proved, and why, in essence it took 4 seasons, and a failed payment to Florida to terminate the Panthers in 2001, all the Schlegels did was force the AHL into something it rarely wants to do, when the Stars were involuntarily terminated because they broke league bylaws... the only reason this particular franchise is being remotely discussed is due to the contract the AHL signed allowing Texas to compete... no one knew until tht point where or if Texas was a 1 yr experiment once Edmonton made it known tht OKC is their destination...

4) Manchester isn't going anywhere, nor will they allowed to be sold and no other affiliate but the Kings will be their affiliate..... now I fully understand after what transpired w/ Lowell's relocation, it's not a surprise tht Manchester indirectly may have led to tht, but tht was going to happen no matter who operated the franchise in Lowell, this was an inevitability, much as the move to Hartford is to the Rangers back in 1997.

the possibility remains tht Baldwin buys the Wolf*Pack from MSG, but it likely doesn't change the spectrum anywhere.

Old
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Oops - sorry. I was misinformed. I still don't think the Kings would want their affiliate moved from Manchester to Hartford, but at least I grasp the thought process now.

BTW, if the Rangers leave Hartford, I agree that it'll be to place a team in NY State, but I don't seriously consider Rochester an option for them.
that's where you had the Sabres looking at Albany, before NJ settled there, but at this point unless something drastic changes in either Albany or Syracuse, Rochester's the only option still active, because other NY areas have either been tried or would be virtually an upgrade , if even interested (Utica).

Old
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

He managed to get Louisville into the conversation.....

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
keithLGA

it's amazing and funny that we're starting the "silly season" a year early now and almost everything has some sort of merit to it.

keithLGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
He managed to get Louisville into the conversation.....
Actually, I was really hoping it would be the Kentucky Thoroughblades

Old
07-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
the current operators or stewards of the Binghamton Senators, know quite well tht Ottawa owns the AHL Senators and it's a lease through the Senators that allow tht to occur...

Where is the smilie that chugs the bottle when you need it?

Old
07-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
I'm curious then...do you see Rochester and Florida together for a long time or is someone else waiting to grab up the Amerks when available?

Old
07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
I'm curious then...do you see Rochester and Florida together for a long time or is someone else waiting to grab up the Amerks when available?
and you seem to forget, Eso, Rochester wanted Buffalo gone, and had the ownership's internal squabbling (Styres), the Americans almost folded a few years ago, also, something very few franchises would consider an option. you also seem to forget tht Florida has a horrible track record in terms of stability in affiliations (the Afr's, then the incident w/ micromanaging the Rampage to the point tht the Spurs said ENOUGH)....

Old
07-07-2010, 09:54 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Actually, I was really hoping it would be the Kentucky Thoroughblades
YOU MEAN Worcester or the infamous Peoria Journal Star report tht made the Ice Cats, tank, Eso, a few years back, really, I'm glad we have credible ppl who cover the league than listen to your rambling, incoherent rants....

tell me how, Eso, if you're tht good at predictions, then, who does Manchester get sold to then, according to you, if the Kings end up in Hartford

Old
07-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:

Where is the smilie that chugs the bottle when you need it?
This one has the same effect =

07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Frank Booth

Quote:
your rambling, incoherent rants....

Frank Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I certainly won't answer for Rum, but, yes, I do not think that the Florida/Rochester affiliation will be a long-term one.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
and you seem to forget, Eso, Rochester wanted Buffalo gone, and had the ownership's internal squabbling (Styres), the Americans almost folded a few years ago, also, something very few franchises would consider an option. you also seem to forget tht Florida has a horrible track record in terms of stability in affiliations (the Afr's, then the incident w/ micromanaging the Rampage to the point tht the Spurs said ENOUGH)....
Buffalo wanted to leave Rochester not the other way around since they basically had to almost force Rochester into bankruptcy in order to get paid the money they were owed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I certainly won't answer for Rum, but, yes, I do not think that the Florida/Rochester affiliation will be a long-term one.
I do not think the Florida Affiliation will be a long one at all.

Tommy Hawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Shado75

Quote:
YOU'RE STILL MISINFORMED, Esoteric, going back to your original post and all the way back to 1997, as well.... the Rangers bought the franchise, didn't they back then as the current operators or stewards of the Binghamton Senators, know quite well tht Ottawa owns the AHL Senators and it's a lease through the Senators that allow tht to occur... Hasn't the point been raised when the Rangers came to Hartford tht it's a lot closer to MSG than Binghamton.
Get your facts straight.....Ottawa DOES NOT own the AHL Senators. Local ownership owns the franchise, members of which were basically forced into selling the Rangers franchise to MSG in 1997. Ottawa sold their dormant PEI franchise to this group in 2002.
And for the hundredth time, the reason that MSG forced the sale of the Binghamton franchise was that it was a condition of them purchasing and operating the Civic Center that they had to find a primary tenant for the building. The affiliation agreement was going to expire and NYR gave the ultimatum to either sell or we're walking anyway. It had absolutely nothing to do with proximity to the franchise location.

Shado75 is offline   Reply With Quote