HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Full 2 Minutes

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2005, 04:21 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

vCash: 500
Full 2 Minutes

After all of the rule changes, and suggested rule changes that the NHL is trying to adopt to open up the game, how about serving a full 2 minute penalty? Years ago, a player would serve the full 2 minutes no matter how many goals got scored while they were in the box. Instead of making the nets large, or some other weird idea, maybe serving a full 2 minutes would be better? How you guys feel about that?

Old
04-01-2005, 04:34 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie
After all of the rule changes, and suggested rule changes that the NHL is trying to adopt to open up the game, how about serving a full 2 minute penalty? Years ago, a player would serve the full 2 minutes no matter how many goals got scored while they were in the box. Instead of making the nets large, or some other weird idea, maybe serving a full 2 minutes would be better? How you guys feel about that?
Agree 110%.

And while were at it(I'm not even sure myself, just want to know your tought) why not upgrade to 3 full penalty minute. It would make the players think twice before taking a dump hooking or a nasty slashing call. The players would respect themselves more and would in a certain way open the game.

Old
04-01-2005, 04:41 PM
mert

But the way it is now, isn't it the Montreal rule? As I remember it, they started that rule after someone, I'm thinking Beliveau but maybe the Rocket, scored a bunch of goals during one penalty in a game? And so as a result they changed the rule. It would be a shame to change that

But on the other hand, maybe it would stop penalties as well as make the game a higher scoring game.... Which is what "they" want to bring in new viewers... Personally I don't like the idea. I like the fact that one goal is so important in hockey... Not like basketball, where one basket in the 2nd quarter has no effect on the outcome. But hey, who am I to complain?

Old
04-01-2005, 04:53 PM
CGG

I like it. I really don't think it would mean a huge increase in goal scoring. Power plays these days click at about 15%, the odds of scoring two goals during one two-minute PP are pretty small. It wouldn't even be a new rule, it would be reversing a prior rule change, so it's not a drastic change to the game.

Old
04-01-2005, 04:54 PM
eddy

I like that idea it will increase scoring and i'm down for any alterations that will increase scoring without doing things such as making the nets bigger and whatnot.

Old
04-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Fraser would love that, imagine the power he'd now wield.

Old
04-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Stan

I think these are good ideas, but it's important to look at the possible fallout of the rule. I think referees are less likely to call penalties if the punishment is more severe. If they called it by the book, there wouldn't be a problem. In my opinion the league, players, coaches, and officials need to get together on this. They should have a post-game meeting with the captains of each team, coaches, referees, and league rep to discuss the penalties called and those that were not. They need to increase communication and all get on the same side...IMO

Another idea would be to reduce a penalty to one minute, but make it a full minute. This is just an idea...maybe it's a bad idea....I don't know. I just think a referee would be more likely to call more penalties if the punishment wasn't so severe.

Just some thoughts

Old
04-01-2005, 05:12 PM
jcpenny

how about whenever there is a penalty (including fights) we play 4 on 4 or 3 on3 and no more of the coincidental minor crap.

Old
04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
how about whenever there is a penalty (including fights) we play 4 on 4 or 3 on3 and no more of the coincidental minor crap.
I like that idea

Old
04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:

So....your star player takes a stick to the face, he is sent to the hospital, there's a penalty called, and.. the other team takes off a skater AS WELL as you..?

Old
04-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
They should really go back to that IMO.

Old
04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
So....your star player takes a stick to the face, he is sent to the hospital, there's a penalty called, and.. the other team takes off a skater AS WELL as you..?
I'm not sure but I think what he meant was if two players get into a fight then we play 4 on 4 instead of 5 on 5 like Let's say Domi and Langdon fight...

Old
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I'm not sure but I think what he meant was if two players get into a fight then we play 4 on 4 instead of 5 on 5 like Let's say Domi and Langdon fight...

That's what I thought but he said "(including fighting)" so what else would it include?

Old
04-01-2005, 07:38 PM
larue*

It would be nice but what I can see happening is this. There wont be any penalties called in the last half of the third period if the game is tied or one team is down by one. There would be too much pressure on the ref. It puts more pressure on the referees, especially in crucial games.

Old
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
That's what I thought but he said "(including fighting)" so what else would it include?
thanks for rectifying

Old
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

All we do is reverse the Habs and Oilers rules that were put into place because both teams were so good at both situations. I think it would help out some, how much, I'm not sure. Anything would be better than enlarging the net. IMO

Old
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Habs13

..or why don't we get rid of the instigator rule, and let the goons police the guys that want to swing sticks around? Then you'll see goals increase. Think! When did the goals start to decrease? Oh yes! The same time the players where allowed to assault star players without fear of being hunted down.

Old
04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13
..or why don't we get rid of the instigator rule, and let the goons police the guys that want to swing sticks around? Then you'll see goals increase. Think! When did the goals start to decrease? Oh yes! The same time the players where allowed to assault star players without fear of being hunted down.
I agree totally, that the instigator rule should be tossed too. Do all 3 and see what happens.

Old
04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Corey

I don't think the full 2 minutes idea is so good. Some penalties have nothing to do with contact, such as too many men on the ice, delay of game, etc. Giving the opposing team a chance to score 2 goals on those penalties is overkill. You wouldn't like to see the Habs fall 2 goals behind on that, would you? I'd bet you wouldn't even like that to happen on a tripping call.

Old
04-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

How's about full 2 minutes on obstruction, hooking, holding, etc calls in the neutral or defensive zone only? To open the game up in more ways than one. While incidental traditional "dumb" penalties and offensive zone penalties can still be 2 minutes-or-less.

Anyway, it's a tough choice, because there's nothing I hate more than a game which is just an endless string of powerplays. I actually prefer a reasonably-hard-played 1-0 snoozefest to that. I don't really know how you change things, though, since the players have been trained to play that way for a long time now and nobody from the refs to the coaches to the administration have the patience to fix things all the way. Maybe getting some of the Swiss league replacement players in here would actually help on that front too.

Closed Thread