HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Zherdev (one-year deal reported at $2 million)

Old
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzie11 View Post
You sure you don't want Kaber...? No?
Heh, yeah I know, we can only dream about having Giroux and JVR.

Who's contracts are gonna be up at the end of next year to enable you to sign them? I know about Gagne, who else? Though Gagne's 5 mill should be enough space for Giroux.

Are they RFA's or UFA's?
Leino is a UFA.

Add O'Donnell to the UFA list since he signed a one-year contract.

Carter is a RFA and is eligible for arbitration.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:14 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
If we need to get another Russian to make Zherdev happy (I'm referring to the article linked above), what about Afinogenov? Lotta people complained about him this time last year, but he put up 60 points in Atlanta. Not too shabby.
mmm no..... no more Russians

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Flyersfan1014

He is not Russian, he is Ukrainian. There's a difference and btw, at $2 mil we can go and sign another veteran winger or a new goalie, even though Holmgren's plan was to get a stacked defense in front of Leighton so he could be the starter.

Flyersfan1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
He is not Russian, he is Ukrainian. There's a difference and btw, at $2 mil we can go and sign another veteran winger or a new goalie, even though Holmgren's plan was to get a stacked defense in front of Leighton so he could be the starter.
He plays for Russia's national team though.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Well, he won't be russian to play defense any time soon.

Zing!

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:31 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
He plays for Russia's national team though.
Could just be he was born into the USSR and associates more with Russia than the Ukraine following the dissolution of the USSR.

I'm no history person though.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:35 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Zherdev and most Russians have the lazy and non backchecking style of play so same thing.

And at 2 million bucks we can possibly make it gagne for Zherdev, Turco and whatever holmgren can net in gagnes return (hopefully a first rounder)

Think of it that way.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Black Ice

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:41 PM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
You mean the Gagne part?

Old
07-09-2010, 08:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezzie11 View Post
You sure you don't want Kaber...? No?
Heh, yeah I know, we can only dream about having Giroux and JVR.

Who's contracts are gonna be up at the end of next year to enable you to sign them? I know about Gagne, who else? Though Gagne's 5 mill should be enough space for Giroux.

Are they RFA's or UFA's?
Here is our layout (with only pointing out re-signings of Carter, Giroux, and JVR):

2010-11 (excluding Gagne)

xxxxxxxxxx - Richards (5.75) - Zherdev (2.00)
Hartnell (4.20) - Carter (5.00) - Briere (6.50)
vanRiemsdyk (1.65) - Giroux (0.82) - Leino (0.80)
Shelley (1.10) - Betts (0.70) - Laperriere (1.16)
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - Carle (3.44)
Timonen (6.33) - Coburn (3.20)
Meszaros (4.00) - O'Donnell (1.30)
Bartulis (0.60)

Leighton (1.55)
Boucher (0.93)

TOTAL: 55.95
CAP: 59.40
SPACE: 03.45

2011-12
xxxxxxxxxx - Richards (5.75) - xxxxxxxxxx
Hartnell (4.20) - Carter (6.00) - Briere (6.50)
vanRiemsdyk (1.65) - Giroux (4.50) - xxxxxxxxxx
Shelley (1.10) - Betts (0.70) - Laperriere (1.16)
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - Carle (3.44)
Timonen (6.33) - Coburn (3.20)
Meszaros (4.00) - Bartulis (0.60)
xxxxxxxxxx

Leighton (1.55)
Bobrovsky (1.75)

TOTAL: 57.35
SPACE: 02.05

2012-13
Hartnell (4.20) - Carter (6.00) - Briere (6.50)
vanRiemsdyk (4.50) - Giroux (4.50) - xxxxxxxxxx
Shelley (1.10) - xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - xxxxxxxxxx
Timonen (6.33) - xxxxxxxxxx
Meszaros (4.00) - Bartulis (0.60)
xxxxxxxxxx

Bobrovsky (1.75)
xxxxxxxxxx

TOTAL: 50.15
SPACE: 09.25

2013-14
xxxxxxxxxx - Carter (6.00) - Briere (6.50)
vanRiemsdyk (4.50) - Giroux (4.50) - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Pronger (4.92) - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxx
Meszaros (4.00) - xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

Bobrovsky (1.75)
xxxxxxxxxxx

TOTAL: 37.92
SPACE: 21.48

NOTE: $4.50m/year for JVR and Giroux on their first big deal is the most I could see them getting unless they break out for 85+ points before then. $6.00m/year is probably the highest I see Carter getting in Philadelphia mostly because I expect him to get a Richards-esque deal. Since Richards was signed, nobody has signed in Philly at a higher cap hit. I honestly expect Carter to get $5.75m/year long-term.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
SkerZ
LGR

No troll.......2 mil one year more or less garanteed 50~60 point guy.. I would say good deal

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Zherdev is equally talented. He just doesn't have the heart or will to compete.
Absolutely not....Jester had the best post on this so not going to repeat him, but other than stickhandling, he is nowhere near as talented as Gagne. The only things he has over gagne are age/durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Gagne- Richards- Zherdev(2.75 mil)
Hartnell- briere- leino
JVR- Carter- giroux
Carcillo(1.2 mil)- betts- lappy
Nodl

Pronger- Mez
Timonen- Coburn
O'D - Bart

Turco(2.25 mil) (50-55 starts)
Leighton (27-32 starts)

I'm not at a computer, does that keep us under the cap? If it does that's a sick mf'n lineup. Even better if we can fetch a high 2nd for carle. Let boosh walk and superstar is cut.
Havent calculated it, but I would be shocked if that fits...dont foget the $1.1 for Shelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
No. YOU are kidding yourself. Zherdev has more talent, is younger, and more durable, but the motivation factor is a huge question mark.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
And look at the teams Gagne played on and look at the teams Zherdev played on. Columbus was horrible.
Right...and Zherdev was a big part of that. He wasnt a team player. Outside of Nash, their draft picks were not amounting to much, and Zherdev couldnt even standout on a team like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
You watched a 21-24 year old kid. He's going to be 26 this season and hitting his prime. Overall gagne is a much better player and always will be but as far as offensive talent, the kid is like a giroux with the puck on his stick. I'm just hoping he's matured and improved this past year and is ready to show why he deserves a big long term contract.
Ok, for arguments sake lets say I agree with you.

So who does he play with.....Giroux who likes to carry the puck, Carter who likes to carry the puck, or Richards, who likes to carry the puck. Why do you think this team has been significantly better on special teams vs. even strength (until Pronger and Lavi got here when they finally improved a bit) Their forwards just dont mesh....The Gagne Richards Knuble line worked well because you had Sniper, puck carrier, grinder.....Hartnell/Lupul worked with Carter cause neither of them needed to carry the puck to be effective. Leino/Briere/Hartnell worked because you had three ingredients there.

Now with Zherdev you have another guy that needs to have the puck on his stick.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkerZ View Post
No troll.......2 mil one year more or less garanteed 50~60 point guy.. I would say good deal
Not when that 50-60 points is from a selfish player with no heart that cant play any defense.

I sure hope something clicked in this guys brain the past year, otherwise this could be a disaster of a move.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Terence Peterman

I think it was established a couple weeks back that Zherdev has at least dual citizenship as a Russian and Ukrainian.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:54 PM
MountainHawk

I could live with this:

2010-11 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Claude Giroux ($0.822m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Jeff Carter ($5.000m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m) / * Darroll Powe ($0.750m)
Ian Laperriere ($1.167m) / * Daniel Carcillo ($1.100m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Matt Carle ($3.438m)
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Sean O\'Donnell ($1.300m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
* Marty Turco ($2.000m) / Michael Leighton ($1.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.885m; CAP ROOM: $1.453m; BONUSES: $0.938m

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:57 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I'm sanguine about this deal....for 1 year at 2M I can live with it. He does fit into Laviolette's system but the defense worries me not to mention his penchant for being a problem child. I don't know if anybody asked this but who is going to be his Russian/Ukrainian mentor/buddy in Philly on the team...surely not Bodrov or Bobrovsky considering they won't be on the roster anytime soon? I mean are they just going to pluck some random Russian in Northeast Philly to be his buddy in the locker room? Maybe the whole Russian support system is overblown but supposedly it's important? Flyers should drag Butsayev out of retirement or Valeri Zelepukin....

Anyway, he should be able to match Gagne's production offensively and with the D the Flyers will have maybe they can mitigate his bad D? Doubt Leighton will be thwarting too many odd man rushes though...

One thing he should be good at is shootouts. He should help get some more wins in that regard instead of OT losses.

Hopefully this works out like Leino.....having two guys that hold on to the puck like Leino and Zherdev should work out well in Lavy's system. I hope both Leino and Zherdev will have monster years and carry it over into the playoffs. If they do...Flyers will probably not be able to sign them unless they move Carter.

Having said all this I would still like a goalie..if they can get Turco under the cap the Flyers should be more than ok barring any major injuries. I still don't like the Shelley move and Mez head....I can understand to an extent. If Pronger or Timonen go down for any long period of time Flyers will need him....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Slowbro

so is it homer's plan to totally break up the locker room? i mean.. don't take this too seriously but, upshall got traded, lupul got traded, gagne might get traded.. IMO 3 very important guys, while 2 are role players with 20 goal potential and the other is a 30-50 goal scorer, so obviously they are important on the ice but also, their presence in the locker room is key. unhappy players mean poor results on the ice. i understand they are all professionals and play to win the game, but when you take away 3 best friends from a core group of young players, it hurts. maybe i am looking into it too far but gagne is more important than zherdev, not just points wise, but moral wise. i would rather see leighton and boucher gone and get turco and have backlund be the back up. too much to ask? i don't think so.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:23 PM
NikC

ranger fan here to give you some insight...

Zherdev can do things that few other players can, yet refuses to things that most players will. the guy has awesome stick handling and agility, ridiculous shot. Great shoot out guy. you're a more complete team so he might be able to get away with going into his own world from time to time.

For $2m you guys got at least a 50p player, possibly even 70!
he is a total disconnect though. Probably his limited english. he's practically uncoachable in certain areas of his game, especially away from the puck. You'll love the guy at times, but then you'll also see reasons why Columbus gave up on him, and why the offensively starved NYR passed up on him as well.

all the best.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
ranger fan here to give you some insight...

Zherdev can do things that few other players can, yet refuses to things that most players will. the guy has awesome stick handling and agility, ridiculous shot. Great shoot out guy. you're a more complete team so he might be able to get away with going into his own world from time to time.

For $2m you guys got at least a 50p player, possibly even 70!
he is a total disconnect though. Probably his limited english. he's practically uncoachable in certain areas of his game, especially away from the puck. You'll love the guy at times, but then you'll also see reasons why Columbus gave up on him, and why the offensively starved NYR passed up on him as well.

all the best.
In all fairness, I think the offensively starved New York Rangers would've have kept him on at $2.00m.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:45 PM
naihlflames

Great signing, especially at that price. As a Red Wings fan, I saw him alot with the Blue Jackets. His dangling skills with the puck at times reminded me of a young Datsyuk. He will give you some nice highlight real plays.

As for his attitude and reputation ..... The games I saw against the Wings he always showed up and was a presence on the ice. I think he got up for those games and played well.

Other potential positives ..... He is a few year older and hopefully more mature. He missed the NHL and wanted to come back. It is a one year contract. Listen and perform well = big contract, float and piss off a respected coach = back to KHL.

I think you will have a motivated Zherdev, which is a dangerous Zherdev. Plus you have skilled players that can play with him. He's never really had a quality center to play with.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:46 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
so is it homer's plan to totally break up the locker room? i mean.. don't take this too seriously but, upshall got traded, lupul got traded, gagne might get traded.. IMO 3 very important guys, while 2 are role players with 20 goal potential and the other is a 30-50 goal scorer, so obviously they are important on the ice but also, their presence in the locker room is key. unhappy players mean poor results on the ice. i understand they are all professionals and play to win the game, but when you take away 3 best friends from a core group of young players, it hurts. maybe i am looking into it too far but gagne is more important than zherdev, not just points wise, but moral wise. i would rather see leighton and boucher gone and get turco and have backlund be the back up. too much to ask? i don't think so.
I think it was a huge issue for a large part of last year, but a good coach helps out as you see when Lavi came in....I am definitely worried about the chemistry of this team, even on the ice. I just dont see where Zherdev fits in the lineup, but I could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
NOTE: $4.50m/year for JVR and Giroux on their first big deal is the most I could see them getting unless they break out for 85+ points before then. $6.00m/year is probably the highest I see Carter getting in Philadelphia mostly because I expect him to get a Richards-esque deal. Since Richards was signed, nobody has signed in Philly at a higher cap hit. I honestly expect Carter to get $5.75m/year long-term.
God I hope they dont give Carter a Richards like deal....I will cry.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames View Post
Great signing, especially at that price. As a Red Wings fan, I saw him alot with the Blue Jackets. His dangling skills with the puck at times reminded me of a young Datsyuk. He will give you some nice highlight real plays.

As for his attitude and reputation ..... The games I saw against the Wings he always showed up and was a presence on the ice. I think he got up for those games and played well.

Other potential positives ..... He is a few year older and hopefully more mature. He missed the NHL and wanted to come back. It is a one year contract. Listen and perform well = big contract, float and piss off a respected coach = back to KHL.

I think you will have a motivated Zherdev, which is a dangerous Zherdev. Plus you have skilled players that can play with him. He's never really had a quality center to play with.
highlight real plays dont win championships....

I will give you the maturity thing....There is alwasy a chance, but I am not holding my breath.

Old
07-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Agreed about Carter. He and Richards signed identical ELC with no bonuses, so Carter didn't have ego about wahting more because he was drafted higher. Then he signed a reasonable deal that left him RFA at the end, even when Richards signed long term. I really can see Carter be happy to defend the Cup and stay in Philly for $6M or so over 7 years, for ex.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:54 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
highlight real plays dont win championships....

I will give you the maturity thing....There is alwasy a chance, but I am not holding my breath.
Combine the maturity + missing the NHL + he knows his reputation + 1 year contract + how he does this year basically dictates his NHL future = motivated Zherdev >>> $2m

I see a 60 - 85 point season for him.

naihlflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm curious, I know Emery had problems with his team and in the locker room (even though he was having problems outside of hockey), I wonder if this same organization can fix Zherdev like they did Emery, things will be alright.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote