HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather on Staal, More Moves, Voros + More

Old
07-09-2010, 08:24 PM
turcotte8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
"I thought our defense wasn’t really our big problem on our team last year,” Sather said, adding the issue was the lack of scoring, other than Marian Gaborik. “We need to get a little more offense. We can’t just depend on Marian. As far as the defense, if somebody comes in and takes the job, so be it.”

Does Sather even watch the games? The defense was horrible last year. So far he hasn't done anything to improve the team.
Our defense was 10th last year. 10th out of 30 teams means it was pretty good. I know most of it is Lundqvist, but he's part of the defense.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
frankthefrowner

The D is fine.. get a sustained forcheck in a game and perhaps it wont look so god damn bad.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
The D is fine.. get a sustained forcheck in a game and perhaps it wont look so god damn bad.
the defense may be fine but they still need some toughness, i mean i doubt these defenseman can clear the crease. how many 2ed and 3rd shot chances went in because the defense was in the wrong position or too weak to knock someone down

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Schweiker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He really seems to like Pashin and must think he has a chance going into camp. Or was he talking about another kid from Russia?
valentanko

Schweiker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
The D is fine..

I'll never believe it's fine when our younger defensemen outplay our experienced veteran defenseman.....

Staal & Girardi > Rozsival & Redden IMHO....

That's problematic on any team's roster to have your highest paid and most experienced defensemen underachieve or get outplayed like that... Imagine what our D would look like if our most senior defenseman were the biggest contributors???

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:05 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

slats is right on this one. defensively we were ok, but thats mostly hanks doing and not the quality of the collective defense.

you put an average goalie behind this d and they are bottom 10. with hank in net, many of your blemishes are hidden.

goal scoring is our achiles heel. until we address that, and we havent come close yet, we will suk.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
UAGoalieGuy

So the Eminger trade pretty much means the end of Redden? No?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
So the Eminger trade pretty much means the end of Redden? No?
I was thinking Roszival.

Think about it.

Short timer on his contract, somewhat manageable contract (7 mill over 2 years) at a cap hit of 5.

Redden? 26 mill over 4 and declining?

This is an interesting move to say the least.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I was thinking Roszival.

Think about it.

Short timer on his contract, somewhat manageable contract (7 mill over 2 years) at a cap hit of 5.

I believe that you may be right in terms of Roszival being the odd man out--sadly. I think that he is a bit of a commodity and he is a chip we could use in a bigger package maybe to acquire a center.

I also think that with the McD signing, that may also spell the end of Redden as well. I have a feeling Sather has one big move up his sleeve before the start of the season. I know when he looks at the roster he can't be happy with it so I'm expecting another forward to be added.

Something along the lines of Rosy, Gilroy, high-end prospect/pick for top 6 player (mostly likely a 1A or 1B center).

We could concievably be looking at something along the lines of:

Staal-Girardi
Eminger-MDZ
McD-Vally

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:03 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post
I believe that you may be right in terms of Roszival being the odd man out--sadly. I think that he is a bit of a commodity and he is a chip we could use in a bigger package maybe to acquire a center.

I also think that with the McD signing, that may also spell the end of Redden as well. I have a feeling Sather has one big move up his sleeve before the start of the season. I know when he looks at the roster he can't be happy with it so I'm expecting another forward to be added.

Something along the lines of Rosy, Gilroy, high-end prospect/pick for top 6 player (mostly likely a 1A or 1B center).

We could concievably be looking at something along the lines of:

Staal-Girardi
Eminger-MDZ
McD-Vally
That defense would be horrid. And, in looking at the UFA D-men via CapGeek, there is NO ONE left worth picking up. I can't envision a scenario where we move both Redden and Rozsival.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
That defense would be horrid. And, in looking at the UFA D-men via CapGeek, there is NO ONE left worth picking up. I can't envision a scenario where we move both Redden and Rozsival.
they may not be no great shakes, but the added benefit that the cap loss would provide could be used on something else.

Get a year under the belts if McD and Tank and this defence (less Eminger) is pretty interresting group.

Something is up Sathers sleeve

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
they may not be no great shakes, but the added benefit that the cap loss would provide could be used on something else.

Get a year under the belts if McD and Tank and this defence (less Eminger) is pretty interresting group.

I agree whole-heartedly. There may be one more look at the Kovalchuk front, or there may be a trade. That defense is young, but if we put a solid-enough forward group out there that could hold their own and fill up the net then any defensive mistakes can be covered up. And if worst comes to worst our last line of defense is arguably a top 5, even top 3, goalie in this league. I think that Torts will want a more mobile defense that will jump in the play more--meaning no Rosival and Redden, and I think that he will take more chances this year. I looks like Redden will most likely be waived, and I'm not sure if Eminger or McD will simply slot into that empty space, but since Rosy has some trade value I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Typical Sather.

Saying all the right things yet doing none of them.
I don't like Sather anymore then anyone else.

But:

Girardi locked up.

McDonagh locked up.

Stepan locked up.

No big name free agents signed that would play in the top 9 (forwards). And no UFA defensemen signed.

So far leaving things wide open for McDonagh, Stepan, Grachev, Pashnin/Valentenko, Byers, Weise to win spots.

I hated...HATED the Boogaard signing, and didn't agree with the McIlrath pick (have since learned why they took him, though).

But otherwise, he hasn't been bad this offseason. It looks like they're proceeding with the plan to develop these top prospects and get them in the lineup, and to lock up the young NHL roster players.

We aren't a playoff team this year. But I can handle that if the main underlying focus is to develop these young players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
I was thinking Roszival.

Think about it.

Who's to say they don't plan on carrying Eminger as a 7th defenseman or depth guy who won't see a lot of action unless we sustain injuries?

I think there's no way Rozsival or Redden are out unless Sather has someone else to spend their cap space on... It would be completely asinine to trade Rozsival or waive Redden and just sit on extra cap space while making our defense considerably weaker by adding a nobody like Eminger......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan6230 View Post

We could conceivably be looking at something along the lines of:

Staal-Girardi
Eminger-MDZ
McD-Vally

If you think MDZ's +/- was bad last season? Wait and see what'll happen if his defensive partner is Eminger.... -40

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:

I agree. Something will be done, because I don't think he's happy with the composition of the forwards. And he's brought up players like Christ and Vinny without mentioning the #1 center position.

But I think if Rozy is dealt and Redden is waived, a roster defenseman is coming to NY, in addition to Eminger.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Blazephr

i had a nice little chuckle when i read this thread.....

Marc Staal is not a pipe dream

"With the trade today and the sheet already thrown to Hjalmarsson by the Sharks, and the fact that the Rangers only have 4.4 mil in cap space, can anyone else see the Ducks throwing an offer sheet to the young defender?"

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=797833

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
chip chipperson*

eat **** sather i ****in hate you

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post

"With the trade today and the sheet already thrown to Hjalmarsson by the Sharks, and the fact that the Rangers only have 4.4 mil in cap space, can anyone else see the Ducks throwing an offer sheet to the young defender?"

No. The Rangers can go over the cap during the summer and make alterations later. All it would do is piss the Rangers off and at some point the tables would be turned.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't like Sather anymore then anyone else.

But:

Girardi locked up.

McDonagh locked up.

Stepan locked up.

No big name free agents signed that would play in the top 9 (forwards). And no UFA defensemen signed.

So far leaving things wide open for McDonagh, Stepan, Grachev, Pashnin/Valentenko, Byers, Weise to win spots.

I hated...HATED the Boogaard signing, and didn't agree with the McIlrath pick (have since learned why they took him, though).

But otherwise, he hasn't been bad this offseason. It looks like they're proceeding with the plan to develop these top prospects and get them in the lineup, and to lock up the young NHL roster players.

We aren't a playoff team this year. But I can handle that if the main underlying focus is to develop these young players.
I'm no Sather guy either but other than Kotalik (who he cleaned up) he was pretty good last summer too.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:27 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'm no Sather guy either but other than Kotalik (who he cleaned up) he was pretty good last summer too.
I am also no Sather but besides Kotalik, the Brash signing was awful, maybe even worse than Kotalik because we were able to move Kotalik, we are stuck with Brash.

I know he went overboard with Boogard because he thinks enforcing is a young man's game which is fine, almost every other contract he gave out i liked this summer so if he overpaid a couple hundred thousand and a few years I can live but everything else has been good IMO
Girardi - like it
Prust - like it
Prospal - like it
Christensen -like it
Biron - like it
McDonagh - love it
Stepan - love it
MZA - Very excited to see what he can do
Eminger - our garbage for you spare parts, 7th d-man sounds good to me

Sather has been good so far, which really scares me, he just needs to lock up Staal but I really see one more move coming, doubt its a d-man now, I can see him targeting a Richards, Ribiero, Savard... all for better or worse

Sign Staal and sign Valentenko, Here's my lines (Pipe Dream so don't kill me)

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Stepan-Callahan
Boogard-Drury-Prust

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Valentenko/Gilroy

Lundqvist-Biron

sc:Eminger, Weise, Boyle

whoever loses the 6th d-man spot ends up in Hartford

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:38 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post

Really? Guess Mr. Ryan will be getting an offer sheet from Uncle Glen then.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:25 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I'll never believe it's fine when our younger defensemen outplay our experienced veteran defenseman.....

Staal & Girardi > Rozsival & Redden IMHO....

That's problematic on any team's roster to have your highest paid and most experienced defensemen underachieve or get outplayed like that... Imagine what our D would look like if our most senior defenseman were the biggest contributors???
I actually think Sather was talking about defense as in team defense, not defensemen. And as someone pointed out, our team defense wasn't the problem... we didn't let that many goals in. Our team offense was certainly the problem. And honestly, adding another puck moving defenseman or one with a shot could help the offense tons. Of course adding a true first line center and another wing would help but all of those things are luxuries. At least for us.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Sign Staal and sign Valentenko, Here's my lines (Pipe Dream so don't kill me)

Dubinsky-Christensen-Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-MZA
Avery-Stepan-Callahan
Boogard-Drury-Prust

Staal-Rozsival
MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Valentenko/Gilroy

Lundqvist-Biron

sc:Eminger, Weise, Boyle

whoever loses the 6th d-man spot ends up in Hartford
I dont see Stepan or Grachev making the team out of training camp. Starting the Season, I see Drury as our 3rd line Center and Boyle as the 4th line center.

I think the tandem of Stepan and Grachev will light up the AHL. By game 40 when the Rangers cant score goals, those two players will be brought up.

I think Vinnie Prospal is damaged goods and will be on the DL real fast and Boyle will be waived or benched. Drury will become the 7 million dollar 4th line center and Stepan and Grachev will be a team in the NHL.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
I dont see Stepan or Grachev making the team out of training camp. Starting the Season, I see Drury as our 3rd line Center and Boyle as the 4th line center.

I think the tandem of Stepan and Grachev will light up the AHL. By game 40 when the Rangers cant score goals, those two players will be brought up.

I think Vinnie Prospal is damaged goods and will be on the DL real fast and Boyle will be waived or benched. Drury will become the 7 million dollar 4th line center and Stepan and Grachev will be a team in the NHL.
I dont think both grachev and Stepan will make the pro team out of camp, if Prospal wasn't signed then maybe, and there is still rumblings that sather isnt done.

I believe Prospal must be healthy or they wouldn't have signed him. He played when he wasnt 100% I can't fault him for trying

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:45 AM
NJDEVIL

hey guys real curious on the Staal negotiation....is he trying to price himself out of NY? I personally think hes worth the 3.5, is that what hes been offered or asking? And of all the times for Sather to get cheap?! LoL talk to me guys....

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote