HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not Dekanich?

Old
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Why not Dekanich?

I dont think we should be backup goalie shopping at all. To not give Dekanich a shot is like a spit in the face. Poile always wants to build from within...

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:14 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I dont think we should be backup goalie shopping at all. To not give Dekanich a shot is like a spit in the face. Poile always wants to build from within...
It'd be a spit in the face if Dekanich was worthy of the job. he's an inconsistent AHL goalie with a year and a half of sometimes starter, sometimes backup duty behind him. Pickard and Lindback may be younger, but I'd feel significantly safer with either in the net...though I'd still prefer to bring in a vet for a year or two.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM
cjerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It'd be a spit in the face if Dekanich was worthy of the job. he's an inconsistent AHL goalie with a year and a half of sometimes starter, sometimes backup duty behind him. Pickard and Lindback may be younger, but I'd feel significantly safer with either in the net...though I'd still prefer to bring in a vet for a year or two.
I'm not quite sure how Pickard would be signifcantly safer when his AHL play was on par with Dekanich (once Dex settled into the starter role and got past his glove troubles).

Lindback I can't comment on, but by default I would have to support him. If not him, then Dekanich only to give Pickard playing time in Milwaukee and develop more.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
I'm not quite sure how Pickard would be signifcantly safer when his AHL play was on par with Dekanich (once Dex settled into the starter role and got past his glove troubles).

Lindback I can't comment on, but by default I would have to support him. If not him, then Dekanich only to give Pickard playing time in Milwaukee and develop more.
That is exactly why I think Dekanich should at least get a shot, if he screws up then sign a veteran and send him back to Milwaukee. But at least see how he can do with a fair shot!

But Pickard should for sure get another season as head goalie in Milwaukee, being a backup goalie all season would not be beneficial to his development.

Would definitely also consider Lindback!!

Old
07-09-2010, 04:31 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

If only we could have gone 50/50 with Rinne/Nabakov.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:05 PM
AdmiralsShortShifts

Why not Dekanich?

I'd say that his bad-goal percentage at the AHL level is too high. (That should be an official counting stat.)

He recovered nicely in the second half, and made his overall stats look okay. But watching him, even in the second half, you never got the feeling that he could take over a game.

Honestly, I think a vet would be the way to go.

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Farewell Tour for Jose Theodore!!

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
That is exactly why I think Dekanich should at least get a shot, if he screws up then sign a veteran and send him back to Milwaukee. But at least see how he can do with a fair shot!

But Pickard should for sure get another season as head goalie in Milwaukee, being a backup goalie all season would not be beneficial to his development.

Would definitely also consider Lindback!!
That sounds like a sound concept to me. I wonder when we would see a move by Pollie though if he decides to go with a veteran.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:22 AM
lightning_legwand*

My point basically is that Pickard will be the future. So if Dekanich or Lindback get a shot, it should be sooner rather than later. Rinne can play 60-65 games I am confident. Let Lindback and Dekanich battle out the backup spot!

Old
07-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
What I posted in another thread a couple days ago was that IMO the best option would be to have Lindback start as the backup to Pekka this year and install Pickard as the starter in Milwaukee this season before switching them the following year to get both experienced in both roles.

Dekanich can rotate back and forth to keep everyone fresh, but honestly Dekanich and Smith don't have much of a future at present within the organization.

I think due to their similar stature and goaltending styles that being mentored by Rinne for a season could accelerate Lindback's adjustment to the smaller rinks in North America and his development time overall...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:48 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
What I posted in another thread a couple days ago was that IMO the best option would be to have Lindback start as the backup to Pekka this year and install Pickard as the starter in Milwaukee this season before switching them the following year to get both experienced in both roles.

Dekanich can rotate back and forth to keep everyone fresh, but honestly Dekanich and Smith don't have much of a future at present within the organization.

I think due to their similar stature and goaltending styles that being mentored by Rinne for a season could accelerate Lindback's adjustment to the smaller rinks in North America and his development time overall...
Very well put, I really like what you wrote and I agree bigtime!

Basically, what my position on the subject is, is that I do not want someone brought in from the outside. If Dekanich does not have the numbers, Rinne could be a superb mentor and teacher for Lindback. Promote from within!

Old
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...2/7100336/2163

It looks to me like Dekanich was alot more than inconsistent as you say.

Here is a snippet from this article,

"Dekanich, 24, has gained experience with Milwaukee of the American Hockey League. He is entering his third season and was fifth in the AHL this year with a 2.33 goals against average. He went 27-16-4 with four shutouts and a .914 save percentage"

Let Pickard headman Milwaukee next season because sitting around as a backup in Nashville is pointless for him.

I think Dekanich gets the backup nod personally, with Lindback a close call.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
there is a glut of free agent goalies.

I think poile will look at what happens in camp, and if he feels comfortable with one of the rookies, they get the nod, but if nobody looks like they can hack it poile should be able to find someone experienced for league minimum at the last minute.

Not ideal, but better than conceding a loss every time Pekka needs a rest

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:27 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
there is a glut of free agent goalies.

I think poile will look at what happens in camp, and if he feels comfortable with one of the rookies, they get the nod, but if nobody looks like they can hack it poile should be able to find someone experienced for league minimum at the last minute.

Not ideal, but better than conceding a loss every time Pekka needs a rest
Which goalies are still on the market? I know Legace is, but that's about all I know.

Do you think that since we have to get rid of some forwards (who admittedly might not be worth very much), we'd try to trade for a backup goalie instead of just signing one from the FA market?

I haven't been following which players are available or what's been happening with teams besides ours very much at all, so I don't have much idea of what the options are.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:08 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Lindback's high glove side has me a little concerned about his immediate NHL readiness. Smith has outplayed Pickard to this point in camp as well. Engren has looked pretty shaky all around.

I know it's rookie camp and all, but I don't see "NHL ready" anywhere in the group, as of now.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Lindback's high glove side has me a little concerned about his immediate NHL readiness. Smith has outplayed Pickard to this point in camp as well. Engren has looked pretty shaky all around.

I know it's rookie camp and all, but I don't see "NHL ready" anywhere in the group, as of now.
Agreed. No one has stood out to me as head and shoulders above the rest. I thought Smith struggled a bit on Day 1, but has really stepped it up from there. Maybe it was a certain media member on Tuesday innocently wishing him good luck in Cincinnati this season that has lead him to have the best camp thus far?

Whatever it is, I still hope we bring in a veteran to compete. Maybe Yann Denis from New Jersey?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Which goalies are still on the market? I know Legace is, but that's about all I know.

Do you think that since we have to get rid of some forwards (who admittedly might not be worth very much), we'd try to trade for a backup goalie instead of just signing one from the FA market?

I haven't been following which players are available or what's been happening with teams besides ours very much at all, so I don't have much idea of what the options are.
Legace
Lalime
Grahame
Toskala
Theodore
Dubielwicz
Danis
Emery
Valiquette
MacDonald
Turco

any one of those guys who still has no job as of october 1 would likely take a league minimum 1 year deal, wouldnt you think? (except maybe Turco)

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:00 AM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Legace
Lalime
Grahame
Toskala
Theodore
Dubielwicz
Danis
Emery
Valiquette
MacDonald
Turco

any one of those guys who still has no job as of october 1 would likely take a league minimum 1 year deal, wouldnt you think? (except maybe Turco)

Lalime re signed with Buffalo, he was on the top of my list for the backup!

What about Dubie or Grahame?? I think either would be decent.