HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Gagne?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
  #1
Fan of The Game
Registered User
 
Fan of The Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,231
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
What about Gagne?

Not saying this is in the works but I was just wondering with the signing of Zherdev in Philly today, if we would be a good team for Gagne? If so what do you think we would have to give for him. I was just thinking that he would certainly help in the goal scoring department. Not that I take alot of ESPN rumors seriously but there has been speculation they would put him on waivers if they couldn't trade him.

Fan of The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:25 PM
  #2
Milly79
Registered User
 
Milly79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbia, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Considering last years records, I don't think Nashville would ever get a shot at getting him via waivers.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 09:33 PM
  #3
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 500
Yeah, we might put in a claim, but I doubt Gagne would get to us.

I would love to add him to the mix, though, even if it's just for the one year.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
  #4
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Well if Philly was going to put him on waivers, rather than just let them do that, why not just offer them a pick and prospect for him??

Then at least Philly gets something and we basically get Gagne for next to nothing...


Also,

If Zherdev only wanted $2 million, why didnt we take a run at him?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:39 AM
  #5
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Well if Philly was going to put him on waivers, rather than just let them do that, why not just offer them a pick and prospect for him??

Then at least Philly gets something and we basically get Gagne for next to nothing...
Because if we really wanted him we'd do that, but the only reason we'd put in a waiver claim would be because we could get him for the waiver fee.


Quote:
Also,

If Zherdev only wanted $2 million, why didnt we take a run at him?
Explain, why do we want an underachieving headcase for $2 million? With that money, Poile can find 4 other players in free agency that would contribute more to the team and take the league minimum for it...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
  #6
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Because if we really wanted him we'd do that, but the only reason we'd put in a waiver claim would be because we could get him for the waiver fee.



Explain, why do we want an underachieving headcase for $2 million? With that money, Poile can find 4 other players in free agency that would contribute more to the team and take the league minimum for it...
That's the thing about a player like Zherdev. He supposedly has the talent to be a game changer and he should be in the 5-6 ml category but since he has had problems from the begining he is a risk at only 2ml. Yeah Poile could find 4 players at 2ml but can any of them put the puck in the net. That's the reason teams are willing to give this guy another chance.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:52 AM
  #7
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
That's the thing about a player like Zherdev. He supposedly has the talent to be a game changer and he should be in the 5-6 ml category but since he has had problems from the begining he is a risk at only 2ml. Yeah Poile could find 4 players at 2ml but can any of them put the puck in the net. That's the reason teams are willing to give this guy another chance.
Also, the fact that we took a chacne on Kostitsyn should show that a measly 2 million on Zherdev should be an easy chance to take as well. Zherdev has more potential than SK.




Another fact,

Do you think Gagne may want to come to Nashville because he would have the chance to play with fellow province men Lombardi and Dumont?? Also was in same draft class as Legwand. He would be the centre of attention here and would be nicely complimented by Hornqvist and company...

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
  #8
Soundgarden
Registered User
 
Soundgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,233
vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Also, the fact that we took a chacne on Kostitsyn should show that a measly 2 million on Zherdev should be an easy chance to take as well. Zherdev has more potential than SK.
When will you get that we don't have a measly 2 million to spend?

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:37 AM
  #9
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Well if Philly was going to put him on waivers, rather than just let them do that, why not just offer them a pick and prospect for him??

Then at least Philly gets something and we basically get Gagne for next to nothing...


Also,

If Zherdev only wanted $2 million, why didnt we take a run at him?
Are you daft?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:20 AM
  #10
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Also, the fact that we took a chacne on Kostitsyn should show that a measly 2 million on Zherdev should be an easy chance to take as well. Zherdev has more potential than SK.




Another fact,

Do you think Gagne may want to come to Nashville because he would have the chance to play with fellow province men Lombardi and Dumont?? Also was in same draft class as Legwand. He would be the centre of attention here and would be nicely complimented by Hornqvist and company...
This team doesn't have an extra $2 million lying around, and even if it did we need another defenseman and a back up netminder before we need Zherdev or anyone else like him. Kostitsyn was a good risk because he took a $550k contract. THAT is measly.

Also, I'm pretty sure even with Gagne either Weber or Tootoo would still be the center of attention here.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:40 AM
  #11
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Also,

If Zherdev only wanted $2 million, why didnt we take a run at him?


PLEASE. Go ahead. Add Zherdev to the Preds roster. We'd LOVE it.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:42 AM
  #12
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This team doesn't have an extra $2 million lying around, and even if it did we need another defenseman and a back up netminder before we need Zherdev or anyone else like him. Kostitsyn was a good risk because he took a $550k contract. THAT is measly.

Also, I'm pretty sure even with Gagne either Weber or Tootoo would still be the center of attention here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
When will you get that we don't have a measly 2 million to spend?
Well basically what my point to this was we had 3.5 million to spend on Lombardi, and I bet that Zherdev puts up more points than him for 1.5 million less.

This team needs offense.

Not complaining about the Lombardi signing, just saying we could have done alot better with $3.5 million.



And as far as Tootoo and Weber being the centre of attention still if we got Gagne, you are absolutely right! But do you not think Gagne would get some spotlight?? as well as Horny and Wilson??

Weber is the man in Nashville, no matter who we acquire,

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
  #13
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Lombardi is 5x the player Zherdev is. Zherdev has more skill but is a selfish player and doesn't have close to the overall game Lombardi does. Not only is Zherdev selfish but he is also inconsistent and I would bet puts up similar numbers as Lombardi this year.

This team is set on forwards. We have too many as it is right now. The only type of forward worth picking up now is a prominent one and for that to happen Dumont would have to be dealt.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM
  #14
FaceOfTheFranchise
Registered User
 
FaceOfTheFranchise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Well basically what my point to this was we had 3.5 million to spend on Lombardi, and I bet that Zherdev puts up more points than him for 1.5 million less.

This team needs offense.

Not complaining about the Lombardi signing, just saying we could have done alot better with $3.5 million.
Who do you think we could've possibly signed for $3.5 mil that's "better" than Lombardi? I was excited about this signing and we now have the personel to run 3 defensively-responsible scoring lines.
SK was a gamble that only cost $550K and the coaching staff and Poile seem to believe the guy can succeed in Nashville. I don't see the point in spending $2 mil (even if Zherdev wanted to play here) on a player that disappears for long stretches and has no defensive game to speak of...at all. Especially when, as others have stated, there could be a need for a backup goalie and veteran defenseman.

FaceOfTheFranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
  #15
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Lombardi is 5x the player Zherdev is. Zherdev has more skill but is a selfish player and doesn't have close to the overall game Lombardi does. Not only is Zherdev selfish but he is also inconsistent and I would bet puts up similar numbers as Lombardi this year.

This team is set on forwards. We have too many as it is right now. The only type of forward worth picking up now is a prominent one and for that to happen Dumont would have to be dealt.
What if we were able to aqcuire Gagne, then deal Dumont and Smithson for a veteran blueliner???


Also,

Not saying Lombardi was a bad pickup, if you read my post, just saying that I felt Zherdev would put up more points for 1.5 mill less. Only time will tell though. I like Lombardi.



Also,

For the just over $5 million that Gagne makes, I would loooooooove to see him in a preds uniform.


If we got Gagne for his 5.2 million dollar contract, then if we dumped Dumont and Smithson, and went with Lindback or Dekanich as backup goalie, I think we would be looking very good on paper and be in compliance with our self implied cap!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
  #16
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
If he does put up more points than Lombardi it won't be a lot and Lombardi's overall game makes him the superior player and helps your team way more than Zherdev could ever dream of so I still don't see your point?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
  #17
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Can we please stop the discussion of "dumping" Dumont?!?!

JP, like Arnott and every other player, had an exit interview at the end of the season. JP discussed his role and the direction of the team with Poile and Trotz and did not ask for a trade. He and his family love it here and Dumont will be a member of the Predators come September because he has an NMC and Poile, like Burke in Toronto, will not ask a player to waive it...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
  #18
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,951
vCash: 500
I got bored and created a little stat to measure one's offensive ability. Simple stat, might have an actual name but you take the total season point divided by TOI/G. Pure and simple, it measures how much offensive punch a player has per minute of game ice time. You can use it for comparables. #1 for the Preds Hornqvist. #2 Dumont.

Nashville is not trading Dumont. Hell, if any big name goes its Sully. He's on the last year of his contract and his money pays for Weber.

And what do the Preds need? Seriously, the center, stacked, wings crowded. Defense could use a vet. Goaltender could use a back up vet.

It's not flashy but when cheap is what you are aimming for it's pretty damned effective.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:46 AM
  #19
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I got bored and created a little stat to measure one's offensive ability. Simple stat, might have an actual name but you take the total season point divided by TOI/G. Pure and simple, it measures how much offensive punch a player has per minute of game ice time. You can use it for comparables. #1 for the Preds Hornqvist. #2 Dumont.

Nashville is not trading Dumont. Hell, if any big name goes its Sully. He's on the last year of his contract and his money pays for Weber.

And what do the Preds need? Seriously, the center, stacked, wings crowded. Defense could use a vet. Goaltender could use a back up vet.

It's not flashy but when cheap is what you are aimming for it's pretty damned effective.

Do you think our team is a playoff team currently that can make it past the first round?

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:41 AM
  #20
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think our team is a playoff team currently that can make it past the first round?
Yes, I feel we are currently as strong as we were to end last season and in a position to exceed that level of play out on the ice if Trotz makes the adjustments to our new found wealth of speed and skill and turns us back into a speedy, two-way counterattacking team again. Special teams will be revamped as well...

So to answer your question...YES! Tell me why we aren't? Just because we're lacking sexy doesn't mean we are lacking a large cache of skill and depth. Sexy just isn't the Predator Way...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:28 AM
  #21
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think our team is a playoff team currently that can make it past the first round?
Of course! We gave Chicago there toughest run in the playoffs and in reality probably should of won the series. We got faster by losing Arnott and adding Lombardi. Kostitsyn has potential to be a very solid point producer for us. We know Leggy, Erat, Sully, and Dumont (I expect a bigger year than last) can all score. Hornqvist potted 30 last year and I dont see a player of his style just falling off the score sheet like some people have worried about. Wilson is only 20 and we saw what he can do, especially in Milwaukee and the 2nd half of the season. Wardo and Goc can also put the puck in the net for us. Then you have Webers shot and Suters playmaking skills. Also you have Franson who has a great shot and Josi, Blum, and Ellis (long shot) who all have shots to crack the line up and they are all very talented offensively. We may even see some Geoffrion this next year and he just won the Hobey Baker so you know hes a good player. Not to mention I cant really name 1 player out of this list who isnt good defensively they are all solid and we have 2 of the best shut down d-men on 1 pairing. Then you have Bouillon who is just all hustle and doesnt make to many mistakes. Klein is honestly my only iffy player on the team because his mind makes a lot of odd choices. We also got what I believe to be a true number 1 goalie. So yes I do believe we have a playoff team without question.

Now I do not know why I have not gone to sleep yet but I must.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:33 AM
  #22
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think our team is a playoff team currently that can make it past the first round?
I want a deep play off run as bad as any Predator fan I know, but it still just annoys me when people have that foremost on their mind. I want an entertaining season. This team has the potential to be a top five WC team with our well-known team defense, our improved speed, our added offensive depth, and our goaltender who has had many MANY flashes of brilliance over two seasons. The trick is all of those things have to work exactly like we know they can. Let's worry about opening night, then game two, three, four, and so on before we start trying to decide if this team is going deep into the play offs, shall we? Trades can be made up until the end of February.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:32 AM
  #23
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Do you think our team is a playoff team currently that can make it past the first round?
Yes, yes I do. Like I projected this team can score 230 goals which means top 10 offense in the NHL. The forward core is deep and should drive team's nuts trying to decide which line the top defensive unit gets to cover. I expect the top line to get 17 minutes a game, second line 17 minutes a game and the 3rd line 15-17 minutes a line. Which line is going to get the defense? The 3rd line can be above average offensively while play phenomenal defense. Everyone craps on Smithson but with him and Goc there is enough offense to add a little punch. Milwaukee is stacked. Rinne's situation is resolved. Defense is young and frankly that's the only thing that scares me. I fully expect a Klein/Franson/Parent to be traded mid season for Blum. Shear fact is that Blum is ready and they need to make a roster spot.

I really like the way this team is built. The only player who fails the "One of these things is not like the other" test is O'Reilly and he can be dumped or sent to Milwaukee at the beginning of the season. I will not cry about losing O'Reilly. The gambles at Kostitsyn and Andersson. SK has the biggest pressure but if he wants to get paid he plays his friggin head off. Andersson has less expectations. Be Smithson with more goal scoring.

If Andersson fails, bring up Spaling. If SK fails.....oy. Trade the forward depth for a player.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:47 AM
  #24
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Yes, yes I do. Like I projected this team can score 230 goals which means top 10 offense in the NHL. The forward core is deep and should drive team's nuts trying to decide which line the top defensive unit gets to cover. I expect the top line to get 17 minutes a game, second line 17 minutes a game and the 3rd line 15-17 minutes a line. Which line is going to get the defense? The 3rd line can be above average offensively while play phenomenal defense. Everyone craps on Smithson but with him and Goc there is enough offense to add a little punch. Milwaukee is stacked. Rinne's situation is resolved. Defense is young and frankly that's the only thing that scares me. I fully expect a Klein/Franson/Parent to be traded mid season for Blum. Shear fact is that Blum is ready and they need to make a roster spot.

I really like the way this team is built. The only player who fails the "One of these things is not like the other" test is O'Reilly and he can be dumped or sent to Milwaukee at the beginning of the season. I will not cry about losing O'Reilly. The gambles at Kostitsyn and Andersson. SK has the biggest pressure but if he wants to get paid he plays his friggin head off. Andersson has less expectations. Be Smithson with more goal scoring.

If Andersson fails, bring up Spaling. If SK fails.....oy. Trade the forward depth for a player.
I don't think SK failing is going to be that detrimental to our team honestly. I think that his upside could really help us, but with his small, one year contract I don't see him dragging us down. It's such little money the contract could be bought out in reality.

I'm with you about the concerns on D. Weber and Suter will be fantastic once again, but I don't think we're equipped quite yet to lose one of them for an extended period of time. If we sign a reliable vet then maybe it softens that hypothetical blow. Blum could always come in and impress. It's just a scenario I'd rather not be forced into.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:38 PM
  #25
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
I just think we need a gamebreaker, but only time will tell.

I just look at what we gained and lost in offseason and its not as impressive as we are letting on.

We got,

Lombardi (50 point guy)

Kostitsyn (big probs in montreal, has yet to play a full season or net 10 goals in season)

Andersson (has never played 5 games in the NHL)



We lost,

Jason Arnott (big body, always averages at least .8 points per game)

Dan Hamhuis (very solid defenseman overall and will be greatly missed)

Dan Ellis (very reliable back-up goalie)



I admit though, it should be interesting, I just personally do not think we will have a better team than last season, but I want to be proven wrong!


We will be as good as last season or better if,

Blum can step up and kill it!

Wilson can put up 50+ points

Hornqvist can repeat with 30 goals





But we cannot expect a ton out of Andersson and Kostitsyn, we can hope though!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.