HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Zherdev (one-year deal reported at $2 million)

Old
07-10-2010, 07:30 AM
PhillyCurt12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
If there's no one, and I mean no one, compatible, then I still don't think you see him waived, but then the chances of something stupid go higher, like standing pat with the goalies, or trading Carter for Mikko Koivu and Clayton Stoner to further help out the Flyers in the shootout and to boost merchandise sales...
he's their richards. as much as i covet him, the wild will sadly not even consider moving him.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:19 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Don't consider this credible at all, but there's a rumor going around that Gagne leaked his destination as Tampa Bay. Again, don't buy into it's credibility.

But Gagne for Downie? Maybe?

Tampa still has $20m+ in cap space to play with and some RFAs to sign.

Still, they desperately need forwards.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
So then why would they trade a forward if they need them

If Gagne's getting traded, it's nothing but draft picks and prospects.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersflyers18 View Post
Zherdev and most Russians have the lazy and non backchecking style of play so same thing.

And at 2 million bucks we can possibly make it gagne for Zherdev, Turco and whatever holmgren can net in gagnes return (hopefully a first rounder)

Think of it that way.
Cool story.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 07-10-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:37 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Man, I don't know if this is fully hitting me till now, kind of like the Pronger thing when I fully didn't appreciate it until he was on the ice.

We signed Zherdev, Coburn, and Shelley at the expense of Simon Gagne, the one constant in our franchise for the last decade, a guy that's always been loyal, has been a PO warrior for us over the years, who did everything we ever asked of him.

This just blows.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Man, I don't know if this is fully hitting me till now, kind of like the Pronger thing when I fully didn't appreciate it until he was on the ice.

We signed Zherdev, Coburn, and Shelley at the expense of Simon Gagne, the one constant in our franchise for the last decade, a guy that's always been loyal, has been a PO warrior for us over the years, who did everything we ever asked of him.

This just blows.
Welcome to the new NHL. Unless you sign a 13 year deal, there is no such thing as constant...and even that's not necessarily true.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Welcome to the new NHL. Unless you sign a 13 year deal, there is no such thing as constant...and even that's not necessarily true.
The Flyers though as an organization have always distinguished themselves by how well they treat their players. Practically every guy who's played here raves about how great the organization and the city is (except for maybe goaltenders).

But now we're forcing a franchise great to waive his NTC so that we can sign a Russian with no heart, overpay a marginal d-man, and sign a goon. Leaves a very, very sour taste in my mouth. I mean, if we had gotten to next year and we couldn't afford to keep him, that's just a part of the league, you say your good-byes and move on. But to get rid of him so we can sign a pile of crap? Give me a ****ing break.

Anyone who expects Zherdev to show 1/100 of the heart and defensive commitment of Gags is in for a pretty nasty surprise.

Old
07-10-2010, 08:48 AM
TOCxNJ

Ok...Zherdev at $2mil for 1 year is amazing. BUT, losing Gange, picking up Shelley....not so amazing.

This move, in isolation, is outstanding in my opinion, but I'm not stoked we are probably throwing Gags to the wolves. Sucks.

I'm excited to see what this kid can do though.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:55 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
[...] a marginal d-man [...]

Anyone who expects Zherdev to show 1/100 of the heart and defensive commitment of Gags is in for a pretty nasty surprise.
Hyperboles are fun, aren't they?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:57 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
So then why would they trade a forward if they need them

If Gagne's getting traded, it's nothing but draft picks and prospects.
Downie asking for too much money?

Old
07-10-2010, 08:59 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Hyperboles are fun, aren't they?
Call me when Zherdev comes back early from a broken foot to score an OT winning goal and a series winning goal plus a couple goals in Game 5 of one of the most historic comebacks in NHL history.

In fact, call me when you see Zherdev take the body on anyone, ever.

Old
07-10-2010, 09:22 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Call me when Zherdev comes back early from a broken foot to score an OT winning goal and a series winning goal plus a couple goals in Game 5 of one of the most historic comebacks in NHL history.

In fact, call me when you see Zherdev take the body on anyone, ever.
Don't have to, I know it's not gonna happen. I know what kind of player Zherdev is. I've seen him play.
But if Gagne leaves the Flyers (I only say 'if' because technically there's still a very slim chance he stays) it's not because they signed Zherdev. Homer signed Zherdev because he plans on trading Gagne. As least that's the way how I see it. I doubt that not getting Zherdev would've changed anything. You don't have to make him worse than he actually is.

And the "marginal d-man" statement was the more annoying part of your post anyway.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:35 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Don't have to, I know it's not gonna happen. I know what kind of player Zherdev is. I've seen him play.
But if Gagne leaves the Flyers (I only say 'if' because technically there's still a very slim chance he stays) it's not because they signed Zherdev. Homer signed Zherdev because he plans on trading Gagne. As least that's the way how I see it. I doubt that not getting Zherdev would've changed anything. You don't have to make him worse than he actually is.

And the "marginal d-man" statement was the more annoying part of your post anyway.
Coburn just blew ass for 2 seasons in a row, at this point, he hasn't proven that he can handle top-4 minutes for an entire season and we're paying him 3.2 mill.

That contract is going to slide under the radar because of all the other **** Holmgren's done, but it's pathetic.

Old
07-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I really dont think you can blame Zherdev or anyone else for the reason gagne will be gone. The way I see it Homer already knows he cannot resign Gagne after this year. His priorities are Carter and Giroux and maybe Leino. The year after that is JVR and Coburn or Carle. If we are going to be letting Gagne go at the end of the season anyway, why not get something for him.

Say we get a first rounder for Gagne, this whole situation could look like this when considering what we can do with the 3.25 million cap space he saves us.

Gagne
for
Zherdev, Turco, 1st

For a guy we're going to lose anyway, thats great value.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:01 AM
BernieParent

Gagne to TBay doesn't seem to fit with Yzerman's MO. He has expressed a slow and careful rebuild, and is probably on a tight internal-cap leash. I was thinking that Carolina might be in a position to add Gagne in the hopes of a successful season and going a round or two in the playoffs, but I don't see Gagne wanting to head there.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:04 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Gagne to TBay doesn't seem to fit with Yzerman's MO. He has expressed a slow and careful rebuild, and is probably on a tight internal-cap leash. I was thinking that Carolina might be in a position to add Gagne in the hopes of a successful season and going a round or two in the playoffs, but I don't see Gagne wanting to head there.
Carolina sounds good too I guess. There are a couple places where he might be a good fit.

I'm a little confused about how this doesn't fit Yzerman's MO. Gagne is definitely an Yzerman player. I understand the slow and careful rebuild, but Gagne is definitely the kind of player Yzerman would go after if he went after anyone.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I actually fear Stevey Y's rebuilding. I sense the start of a great GM career for him there.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:09 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I really dont think you can blame Zherdev or anyone else for the reason gagne will be gone. The way I see it Homer already knows he cannot resign Gagne after this year. His priorities are Carter and Giroux and maybe Leino. The year after that is JVR and Coburn or Carle. If we are going to be letting Gagne go at the end of the season anyway, why not get something for him.

Say we get a first rounder for Gagne, this whole situation could look like this when considering what we can do with the 3.25 million cap space he saves us.

Gagne
for
Zherdev, Turco, 1st

For a guy we're going to lose anyway, thats great value.
It's not like Zherdev is going to be around after this year. He's either going to crash and burn or he'll do well and then sign for 4.5 mill somewhere else unless you want to get rid of Giroux for him.

And we should have been able to fit Turco in anyways.

How about this...

Don't sign Leighton and Shelley, sign Turco, keep Gagne. Wow, that would have been really hard I bet.

Old
07-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Tommy D

Tell you guys what..... Living in NY I got to hear/see plenty of this guy. You think Carter caught flack for his playoff <lack of> contribution? This guy was basically run out of NY.

How in the @#$% he fits in Philli <aside from a shoot out ringer> is beyond me.

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So the "new NHL" is the reason for our GM screwing our team and putting us in a situation where a guy like Gagne might get traded?

In all seriousness, I'm sick of the apologists for Homer. He ****ed up bad. We could have had Gagne and Turco or even Gagne, Turco, and Zherdev if he didn't screw up to begin with.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
trading Carle or Hartnell would make sense over Gagne.
but common sense is something Holmgren knows nothing about.
loyalty to a player who has given everything to this organization for the last decade? Holmgren doesnt care.
he would rather have a 4 million dollar 5th defenseman, a 1.1 million dollar goon and 2.4 tied up in 2 backup goalies.
Can we fire this guy already?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:51 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
So the "new NHL" is the reason for our GM screwing our team and putting us in a situation where a guy like Gagne might get traded?

In all seriousness, I'm sick of the apologists for Homer. He ****ed up bad. We could have had Gagne and Turco or even Gagne, Turco, and Zherdev if he didn't screw up to begin with.
Do you really, really think that?

Look, I understand Homer didn't do what most of us wanted him to do. I don't agree with what he did. But he didn't '**** up'. I suspect he, ownership, NHL scouts, and hopefully Lavy all sat down and decided they wanted to shake up the forward core a little bit, and added more defense. Shelley is the only true WTF move that makes zero sense from a hockey perspective.

Sure, it would be nice if they kept in mind that Gagne is a fan favorite and long-tenured Flyer, but if they think the goal of winning the Cup is best achieved by moving him along, then that's what they should do.

He has definitely taken a risky path here, making big changes to a team that got to OT of game 6 of the finals. The Penguins made a number of changes too from 08 to 09, and that worked out. If it backfires, he should go.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
But now we're forcing a franchise great to waive his NTC so that we can sign a Russian with no heart, overpay a marginal d-man, and sign a goon. Leaves a very, very sour taste in my mouth. I mean, if we had gotten to next year and we couldn't afford to keep him, that's just a part of the league, you say your good-byes and move on. But to get rid of him so we can sign a pile of crap? Give me a ****ing break.

After reading most of this thread, no one is really expecting this. I'll be happy if he hits 50 pts.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Coburn just blew ass for 2 seasons in a row, at this point, he hasn't proven that he can handle top-4 minutes for an entire season and we're paying him 3.2 mill.

That contract is going to slide under the radar because of all the other **** Holmgren's done, but it's pathetic.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
You are saying he did not blow ass? Look, a 20 game PO run doesn't really erase 160 games of suck and even during the PO run, it's not like 4 points and a -2 rating in 23 games is a massive performance.

We are paying 3.2 mill for a guy who doesn't chip in much offensively and was the worst defensive d-man on the team this past year outside of Bartulis and Krajicek.

Sure I hope he turns it around, but at this point in time, giving him that deal, particularly when we already have two other overpaid d-men who can't be trusted to anchor a pairing, was absolutely ludicrous.