HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Re-Sign F Tanner Glass to 1-Year Deal, $625,000

Old
07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
RobertKron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
blizzard would be the obvious choice, and move ryp to wing
Mario ****ing Bliznak is an "obvious choice" to do the same things that Tanner Glass does?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:28 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Not exactly pleased with this signing, rather bring up a prospect, who would basically do the same thing, and maybe much more
Which prospect will lead the team in hits by a wide margin next year?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:34 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
He's a good 4th liner but i was hoping he wouldn't be resign. Not saying that because there's any issue with Glass. He's a great 4th liner and should be on our 4th line... only problem is AV for some strange reason loves playing him on the 3rd line over Hansen and even at times slotted him in the 2nd line. Glass realistically has little offensive skill and should only be on the 4th line. I hope AV finally learns that this season.
Let me blow your mind and tell you why AV puts Glass on the third line:

When the going got rough last year, which inevitably it always will, we need some extra jam on the third line. While Glass wasn't the optimal choice for this, he was the coaching staffs only viable option. The general manager didn't give the coaching staff the tools necessary to create the kind of third line necessary to make some room on the ice.

Is this Glass' fault?No. Would any similar player be put in the same position? Yes.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:57 PM
IComeInPeace

It doesn't matter who is on the 4th line. Every once in awhile coaches bump guys like that up, replacing a more skilled player, simply to send a message of 'get your head out of your butt' or 'if you won't bust your butt, we'll replace you with someone who will'.

In an 82 game season that stuff happens.
It's not the coaches fault, nor is it the 4th liners.
It is the fault of the skilled player who is in a funk, or not competing hard enough.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Furthermore, Glass specifically was the one promoted from the 4th line to 3rd because he distinguished himself above the likes of Hordichuk/Johnson/Rypien/etc.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Tanner Glass did everything he was asked to do and then some, and did it well. Our best 4th liner by far in 2009/10 (along with Hansen).

He's worth every penny (NHL wise) of the $625,000 he'll get paid.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Mario ****ing Bliznak is an "obvious choice" to do the same things that Tanner Glass does?
first of all, calm down,

Mario bliznak has played extremly well in the AHL, gillis said multiple times he has impressed him, the coaches staff at the moose also said he has drastically impressed them with his hard work ethic, tenacious fore checking and great PK skills.

This kid just needs a chance

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
first of all, calm down,

Mario bliznak has played extremly well in the AHL, gillis said multiple times he has impressed him, the coaches staff at the moose also said he has drastically impressed them with his hard work ethic, tenacious fore checking and great PK skills.

This kid just needs a chance
Again, how does that fill Glass' role? And I like Bliznak and think he has a good shot at the 4C this coming season, but that sounds more like Ryan Johnson's job than Glass.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:23 PM
keslehr*

Glass
Rypien
Hordi
Oreskovich
Perrault
Tambellini
Bolduc
Bliznak

How many people do we need auditioning for the 4th line?

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
VanEric

What's wrong with some competition? A couple will make it and the rest will be in Manitoba.

The coaches like Glass because he doesn't try to do too much if he's bumped up the lineup. There are plenty of 4th liners who get bumped up to the 3rd line, they try to do more, and they just wind up making mistakes. Rypien has been guilty of this, IMO. Whenever he plays more or plays centre, he handles the puck too much and he's just not that good at it.

That's been my main beef with Hordi since he's been here. Too often he'll get the puck on his stick in his own zone and instead of just chipping it out, he tries to make a play beyond his skill level and turns it over. Glass wasn't nearly as guilty of this and thus had some more trust from the coaching staff.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Agree with people saying 4th liners doing too much when getting promoted. Get the puck deep, and go forecheck. Wear down the dmen with hits and make them think twice about getting the puck in the corner with their head down.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:23 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
The 4th line is looking atrocious. The 3rd with Malhotra/Hodgson/PLUG doesnt look good either.
I completely disagree with your assessment of our 3rd line. Barring anymore upgrades I'd be fine with a Hodgson - Manny - Hansen 3rd line. It would be MILES better than last year.

Hodgson > Bernier
Malhotra > Wellwood
Hansen = Hansen

Right now I think all we need is a solid 4th line guy. Someone like Asham.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I completely disagree with your assessment of our 3rd line. Barring anymore upgrades I'd be fine with a Hodgson - Manny - Hansen 3rd line. It would be MILES better than last year.

Hodgson > Bernier
Malhotra > Wellwood
Hansen = Hansen

Right now I think all we need is a solid 4th line guy. Someone like Asham.
Agree.
Wellwood and Bernier were useless on the 3rd, how could it be worse? Thank god our 2nd powerplay unit wont contain those two as well.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Looks like I'll be seeing him at the Starbucks on Robson and Thurlow.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Scurr

I love that we have so many roster players early in the summer, it sure gives these guys a lot of motivation to train hard. Glass is an easy guy to like, and he's paid reasonably, what's not to like?

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
HANSENISBEST

Summer: when HFBoards gets in-depth about the signing of Tanner Glass. Decent 4th line plug, although I'm surprised its not at the league minimum.

HANSENISBEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBernier View Post
Summer: when HFBoards gets in-depth about the signing of Tanner Glass. Decent 4th line plug, although I'm surprised its not at the league minimum.
I kind of like HFBoards in the summer. It's quieter, and only the most hardcore fans remain (generally, fans who know a little more than the average person).

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 08:29 PM
m9

Glass sucks, I was very unimpressed with him last year. Too slow to hit, no touch, and is even a below average fighter.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsOfBernier View Post
i watched a prospect practice with no sound for a hr, I am dieing for hockey

Old
07-10-2010, 11:37 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
Glass sucks, I was very unimpressed with him last year. Too slow to hit, no touch, and is even a below average fighter.
Pretty much. I wouldn't call him slow he just lacks hockey sense. He did throw a few nice hits but most were pretty soft.

He's a solid 12/13 forward but nothing more. All we kept hearing all season was how he hadn't scored since November. Overall he's much better than Hordichuk, but who isn't.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Elliot20

Glass is a pretty good 4th liner. He wasn't very noticeable, but for 4th liners, that's a good thing. If you notice them too much, they are probably making mistakes on the ice.

I'd be fine with a line of Glass - Perreault - Oreskovich with Rypien and Hordichuk subbing in for tougher match-ups.

Elliot20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Cogburn

I think Glass got misused last year, be it because of the coaching staff or management. Wellwood with Glass and Bernier/Demitra is a line with almost nothing in common all the way across, I usually called it the "spare parts line". For 625k, if Glass does what he did last year, I will be ecstatic. If he some how winds up on Keslers line, or filling in for a Sedin, then I'll have a problem, but again, that won't be with him.

Cogburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Glass is a pretty good 4th liner. He wasn't very noticeable, but for 4th liners, that's a good thing. If you notice them too much, they are probably making mistakes on the ice.

I'd be fine with a line of Glass - Perreault - Oreskovich with Rypien and Hordichuk subbing in for tougher match-ups.
glass blizzard oreskovich is my fourth line atm.

Old
07-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

On a deep roster Glass is 14th forward/callup material. On a shallow roster (like the Canucks have had every year since about 02/03) Glass is a competent 4th liner. Poor hockey sense, average skater (straight ahead speed is very good, agility is bloody awful), fearless attitude, good teammate and solid body checker.

To be fair to him he may actually be a slightly better player than he showed last season, as getting saddled with full-blown AHL talents like Johnson and Hordichuk will drag anyone down with them.

My only problem is that carrying 4 guys on your roster who are not good enough to play penalty kill and are only there for toughness (Glass, Rypien, Hordichuk, Oreskovich) is exceedingly stupid. There should an absolute maximum of two of these types on your roster at once. Good teams have guys who can play on their fourth line, not a bunch of middleweight goons.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
In Gillis We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
My only problem is that carrying 4 guys on your roster who are not good enough to play penalty kill and are only there for toughness (Glass, Rypien, Hordichuk, Oreskovich) is exceedingly stupid. There should an absolute maximum of two of these types on your roster at once. Good teams have guys who can play on their fourth line, not a bunch of middleweight goons.
Victor Oreskovich doesn't belong in the "only bringing toughness" group with Rypien, Hordi, and Glass. In his 50 career NHL games hes has 26 PIM's. Not really numbers that scream "goon" to anyone. This kid isn't a bad player at all. He's a good skater who finishes his hits often and finishes them hard. He'll drop the mitts when needed but I think anyone expecting him to fight like Rypien will be dissapointed. On the contrary, if you're expecting Rypien-type hockey skills you'll be more than pleasantly surprised.

In Gillis We Trust is offline   Reply With Quote