HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Briere instead of Gagne

Old
07-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
is there really SPECULATION out there that this may happen? Or is this what you would like to see?
Thats what i would like to see .... If I heard something I would have put Rumor there.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The only thing I disagree with is the notion that we can just dump him on a team like the Isles to help them reach the salary floor. I constantly hear people repeat this, but when do teams ever take bad contracts just to reach the salary floor? It doesn't happen.
It hasn't happened yet, but the floor hasn't been as high as it is now ... Burke took on bad contracts to get additional draft picks, why shouldn't "poor" teams use contracts that have higher cap numbers than average salary to reach the floor?

Old
07-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
It hasn't happened yet, but the floor hasn't been as high as it is now ... Burke took on bad contracts to get additional draft picks, why shouldn't "poor" teams use contracts that have higher cap numbers than average salary to reach the floor?
I could see them doing it for picks in return, but other than that they can sign players to their own terms. Why take on Briere for the next 5 years when he could potentially hinder their ability to sign RFA's 3-4 years down the line?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
I could see them doing it for picks in return, but other than that they can sign players to their own terms. Why take on Briere for the next 5 years when he could potentially hinder their ability to sign RFA's 3-4 years down the line?
To safe money ... if someone would trade for Briere now they safe $1.25MM per year towards the cap they don't have to spend, $6.25MM for the remainder of the contract.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:55 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Much rather trade Gagne. Plus, as Gagne is about to learn, a NTC is much much different than a NMC, because the team can always threaten to waive you and then you end up in Edmonton.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:09 AM
16Clarke16

Don't care which of them they trade...just DO NOT move:

Giroux
Richy
JVR
Pronger
Kimmo
Zherdev (yes I said Zherdev)

and to a lesser extent...

Meszaros
Bobrovsky
Legein
Marshall

16Clarke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Briere is a heck of a playoff performer, but he'll never have that type of playoff again. That's why it was so historic.
I love it when people state things like this, as if they are fact

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:42 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
ya, trade the guy that led the playoffs in scoring, but hold onto Jeff Carter, who always pulls a disappearing act come playoff time
I'm starting to wonder if 50% of your posts are about trading Carter

As for Briere, I think we're living in the moment too much if don't at least consider trading him. He clearly can still perform, but i'm afraid of his inevitable decline attached to a 6.5 mil paycheck. I'm on the fence between holding onto him for a 2-3 more years and hoping another team does us a favor, or cashing in when stock is high.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:43 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
If we had to trade 1, I'd rather trade Simon. I wouldn't even give it a second thought really.

Danny Briere is not replaceable. He simply shines brightest at the most critical times and on the biggest stages. I know Simon is not too shabby in the playoffs, but Briere is a must have and a must need if we ever make another run at the cup. I don't care about his salary and until his clutch level and playoff performance goes down I DO NOT WANT Danny traded.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
I absolutely agree that trading Briere makes the most sense out of anyone. His cap hit really hurts our salary structure. He has the highest cap hit, but he is not a top 3 forward or a top 2 center on this team. He is also turns 33 in a few months and has 5 more years left on his deal. It's still going to be a huge albatross in the end. When he hits his decline he isn't going to be very useful. At least Gags has his defense to be useful when he is no longer an offensive performer.

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that we can just dump him on a team like the Isles to help them reach the salary floor. I constantly hear people repeat this, but when do teams ever take bad contracts just to reach the salary floor? It doesn't happen.

Also trading Carter over Briere is the dumbest thing I've heard.

Briere is a heck of a playoff performer, but he'll never have that type of playoff again. That's why it was so historic.
He always had those types of playoffs, no matter where his team ended up. Even in Buffalo. He slaughtered everyone.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:13 PM
CTU2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
As for Briere, I think we're living in the moment too much if don't at least consider trading him. He clearly can still perform, but i'm afraid of his inevitable decline attached to a 6.5 mil paycheck. I'm on the fence between holding onto him for a 2-3 more years and hoping another team does us a favor, or cashing in when stock is high.

Exactly. Yes he had a nice playoff, and I will even grant that he's historically been a producer in the playoffs, but that comes at a price. For all the offense he provides, he gives up as much between his inability to cover his man or hold his own in the faceoff circle. If you can move him now you absolutely do it, because it won't be long before he's a complete albatross of a contract. In fact he may be unmoveable now; I wonder what kind of response a "Value of Danny Briere" thread would get on the main board.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I would rather keep Gagne.

When you compare both Gagne, and Briere the first thing that comes to mind is, Gagne's two way play. Then I think about Danny's two way play..not so good.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I would rather keep Gagne.

When you compare both Gagne, and Briere the first thing that comes to mind is, Gagne's two way play. Then I think about Danny's two way play..not so good.
how about brieres ppg total in the play-offs, not that we need any of that

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:02 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

briere>gagne

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
briere>gagne
how do you figure? they put up similar offensive numbers and gagne is leaps and bounds ahead of briere on defense. a magical playoff run vs an injured playoff run is not the best indicator.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
captainpaxil

why not hartnell? if were going to get a ****** return hes the guy id expect to see the least value out of coming off the year he had. id be less diapointed in a hartnell for a 2nd deal than i would gagne for simmonds or any of teh other junk returns im seeing on the trade boards

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Philadelphia Flames

Why not Carter?

Yes he is a young guy with a huge upside, and you hate to
EVER have to trade a guy like that. However, he has a 5M/year Cap Hit and is a RFA after this season.

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flames View Post
Why not Carter?

Yes he is a young guy with a huge upside, and you hate to
EVER have to trade a guy like that. However, he has a 5M/year Cap Hit and is a RFA after this season.
True story ... Gagne has a $5.25M cap hit and is a UFA. If we lose Carter next year, we might get 4 first round picks, or at least multiple 1st rounders.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Mgkibbles

No, I think we all saw in the Playoffs Briere is still a 80-90 point player at center, and he needs to play his natural position. Gagne will never be an 80-90 point player again, and we just signed Zherdev - another wing - Gagne has to be the one to go at this point.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Danny Briere has been in the conference finals or better three of the past four years. I love the guy. I like Gagne as well, but he has only recently come back to the Gagne of old. For much of this season, he was playing afraid to get another concussion. It is a tough decision, but clearly we need to move someone. All things being equal, my team would look like this:

Gagne-Richie-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Laps-Betts-Powe
Rookie

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Odonnell-Rookie

Turco
Leighton

We have money for that. Shelley and Meszaros are not required. That 5.1 million gives you more than enough to sign Turco + Powe + keep Gagne + Keep Briere + Zherdev. Seriously, do we really need another 24 year old 4 million d-man? A 1.1 million fighter? Keep them both.

Meszaros is well worth his contract and Shelley isn't. Regardless - they were both just signed and aren't going anywhere. They will both be on the ice on opening night.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:45 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
No, I think we all saw in the Playoffs Briere is still a 80-90 point player at center, and he needs to play his natural position. Gagne will never be an 80-90 point player again, and we just signed Zherdev - another wing - Gagne has to be the one to go at this point.
Wait, so his point production in the playoffs is indicative of something...

You were arguing in another thread that playoffs are too small a sample size? (with regards to Gagne of course)

Last edited by decadentia: 07-11-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old
07-11-2010, 01:31 AM
gonnaneedsomewine

Trade Briere while his value is high. He's overrated, overpaid, and that contract is crazy. You could probably get something decent for him due to his great post season

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:33 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I'm starting to wonder if 50% of your posts are about trading Carter

well, why shouldnt they be? 95% of the threads over the past month are discussing who we should trade

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:04 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
well, why shouldnt they be? 95% of the threads over the past month are discussing who we should trade
I guess I was referring to your hard on to trade Carter. I have no % rebuttal.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
DenverBoone

If the goal is winning the cup, trading Briere is one of the last things you should consider.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote