HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk deal rejected by league!!!

Old
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

vCash: 500
The league can't possibly allow that... that's ****ed up.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:37 PM
habtastic

....but....but....WHY?

I'm sure he'll somehow add to scoring, but I don't think he's part of of a Devil's system, particularly for that long, unless they are re-inventing themselves.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhf1 View Post
That is insane. They should make a rule against contracts over 5 years that would run after a player turns 40 or something like that.
kovalchuk is 27 year old....27 + 17 = 44.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:43 PM
weskoot

Oh Please!
Stop this madness.
Can't these fools see that crap like this will destroy the game?

weskoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
kovalchuk is 27 year old....27 + 17 = 44.

He doesn't mean 5 years over 40, but rather 5 years contract lenght when said contract will bring the player over the age of 40

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
NewHabsEra*

It looks like a desperate move from Lou..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
shutehinside

So if I understand the math correctly, all $100M will be paid in the 1st 10 years. What would he get for the remaining 7 years of the contract, $0!?

If that's the case and the Devils get a cap hit of $5.88M for the remianing 7 years than I hope they do it. It will mess them up for YEARS to come. Let's face it, as good as Kovy is, he's not a game changer. If NJ wants to blow all that money on him, I as a Habs fan couldn't be happier

I'd expect this bonehead move from Snow or Sather but NOT Lou. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for him?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
So if I understand the math correctly, all $100M will be paid in the 1st 10 years. What would he get for the remaining 7 years of the contract, $0!?

If that's the case and the Devils get a cap hit of $5.88M for the remianing 7 years than I hope they do it. It will mess them up for YEARS to come. Let's face it, as good as Kovy is, he's not a game changer. If NJ wants to blow all that money on him, I as a Habs fan couldn't be happier

I'd expect this bonehead move from Snow or Sather but NOT Lou. I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for him?
I'm pretty sure Lou got his orders from above, George told him, "give him what he wants, just do what you need to, to lower the cap hit."

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:54 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

You understand the math correctly, but not the rule. If Kovy retires after 10 years, the 5.88M per year will NOT be on the cap at all because he was not over 35 when the contract began. Essentially, NJ could get hit with only $59M of cap for $100M of salary, which is why everyone is in agreement that this is an abuse of the intent of the cap rules.

Actually, there has to be a SMALL salary in the final 7 years, say 0.525M or so, but it doesn't change the essence here.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
LOU

wtf 10M$/ year for kovalchuk ?Rolf this is just too retarded.Kovalchuk is not Ovechkin,Crosby or Malkin , he won't save a franchise. If Lou wants a franchise player , he should make a rebuild by trading most of the player execpt Parize and Zajac and draft Couturier/Larsson and sign one great UFA next year ( thorton ,richards,semin) with the 10M$
The last thing Lou needs is any advice on how to build a winning franchise.

HabsHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
The last thing Lou needs is any advice on how to build a winning franchise.
Actually he does, he has gone insane since the lockout. He is now on his 5th head coach since then. All those utterly bad signings on the FA market. His work at the 2003 and 2004 drafts is saving his arse big time right now.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Actually he does, he has gone insane since the lockout. He is now on his 5th head coach since then. All those utterly bad signings on the FA market. His work at the 2003 and 2004 drafts is saving his arse big time right now.
They have made the playoffs in all but two of his 23 seasons as GM and appeared in the Stanley Cup finals in 1995 (won), 2000 (won), 2001 (lost), and 2003 (won).

Yeah clearly needs help making a winning team

Old
07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Habs13

Insanity or using a massive loop-hole to your advantage. If I'm correct, the CBA expires after this coming season, so I expect some sort of a "patch" to address this sort of deal. Hossa, Pronger and now potentially Kovalchuk have exploited the system with their contracts - good for them. Bad for the game. What this says is "Yeah, we screwed up pre-CBA and didn't learn a damn thing from it".

I wonder if any wise-guy GM out there tries a sneeky deal for a lesser talent before season starts... it's one way to get another winger under contract!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Habit11

Quote:
They have made the playoffs in all but two of his 23 seasons as GM and appeared in the Stanley Cup finals in 1995 (won), 2000 (won), 2001 (lost), and 2003 (won).

Yeah clearly needs help making a winning team
That is ridiculous when you think about it.

If most teams weren't up against the cap, Kovalchuk would have offers from way more teams obviously because only Ovechkin has more goals than him in the last 5 years...

I wouldn't be surprised at this point if he signs a 1 year deal, and then hits the market again next year.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Insanity or using a massive loop-hole to your advantage. If I'm correct, the CBA expires after this coming season, so I expect some sort of a "patch" to address this sort of deal. Hossa, Pronger and now potentially Kovalchuk have exploited the system with their contracts - good for them. Bad for the game. What this says is "Yeah, we screwed up pre-CBA and didn't learn a damn thing from it".

I wonder if any wise-guy GM out there tries a sneeky deal for a lesser talent before season starts... it's one way to get another winger under contract!
It's actually a good thing because that's the only way to fix these loopholes. They weren't going to get it perfect on the 1st try, no one does. Now just fix the problems that occur.

Old
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Lou's drafting has been amazing since 2003 and the Devils are consistently competitive every season. Despite those bad signings he's still managed to unearth gems like Andy Greene, Johnny Oduya, and David Clarkson.

Lou has always run through head coaches. The period from 97-03 saw five different head coaches.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
in theory:

10x10, 5M, current league min x 6.

adds up to around 108M over 17 years, cap hit of 6.353M

07-10-2010, 04:57 PM
HabsHockey

If he Lands Kovy at 6 mill cap hit, incredible pick up. Just weird system for Kovy though.

Old
07-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Ubercron9000

Are you guys jealous or something? Who cares if he gets a long term contract with a loophole. The guy is as good as Malkin. Bravo to Lou for trying his best to get the 5th best player in the league. Teams that can afford these contracts and don't mind should be able to use this loophole to make there team better.

In essense the montreal Canadiens should try and give him a contract comparable to NJ.

Ubercron9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
If he Lands Kovy at 6 mill cap hit, incredible pick up. Just weird system for Kovy though.
If this is indeed the case then Gauthier needs to lock in Markov ASAP before they fix the loophole.

The fix is quite simple.

For every year of contract past age of 35, salary can only depreciate by certain amount. Say.. 30% per year with contracts not being able to extent past the age of 40 (a study would indeed prove that in the past 10-15 years there has only been a select few players that we're still playing past 40, and very few of them had significant impacts on the ice).

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:29 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
If this is indeed the case then Gauthier needs to lock in Markov ASAP before they fix the loophole.

The fix is quite simple.

For every year of contract past age of 35, salary can only depreciate by certain amount. Say.. 30% per year with contracts not being able to extent past the age of 40 (a study would indeed prove that in the past 10-15 years there has only been a select few players that we're still playing past 40, and very few of them had significant impacts on the ice).
No, we actually don't need this because of the guys we have coming up. we just need to lock him up for another 5 years and hopefully the kids are just as good that we can trade him while he's value would be still high and still not that old for hockey. 5-6 year deal, maybe trade him after 3-4.

Old
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Wow...if this becomes reality, the league starts becoming a joke. Add to that he is not worth anything near this....crazy stupid.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:47 PM
HabsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Wow...if this becomes reality, the league starts becoming a joke. Add to that he is not worth anything near this....crazy stupid.
I'll take the 2nd best goal scorer for a 6 Mill cap hit anyday.

Old
07-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
It's like noobtube in Call of duty; it's cheap, not everyone uses, but until they get rid of it, it's still part of the game and doesn't prevent you from using it.
Someone Photoshop Lou with the noobtube

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

Hi I'm Rick DiPietro and my contract just look completely decent after earing this.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote