HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Simon Gagne Thread -- Rumours & Rumblings

Old
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
dookie88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I think everyone's waiting on Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk comes off the market, Gagne suddenly becomes a goldmine for the Kovalchuk loser.
That's what I'm thinking, too.
The price for Gagne will only get higher as soon as Kovalchuk is off the market.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Shoeny

Per ESPN insider rumors:

The Philadelphia Flyers are looking to deal Simon Gagne and one suitor might be the Los Angeles Kings, especially after they dropped out of the Ilya Kovalchuk race.

Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir writes that the Kings could send prospect Thomas Hickey to the Flyers for Gagne, which would work well for the Kings since he would either sstart the year in the minors or play in the NHL with a minuscule cap hit.

But we know the Flyers have to deal Gagne to get under the cap, so the Kings -- and other suitors -- might wait them out for a few weeks to get a better deal from them.

That would be a good enough return for me as long as the Flyers use that money on Turco.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Hickey for Gagne straight up?
pass.
I like Hickey, but no way could you do that deal straight up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:35 PM
TheTaekster

**** trading Gags. Let's just trade Homer. Homer and a 2nd for a middle seat in coach on a 1 way flight to Minnesota. Thanks for the memories. Now get the **** outta here before you destroy this team

TheTaekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:35 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Per ESPN insider rumors:

The Philadelphia Flyers are looking to deal Simon Gagne and one suitor might be the Los Angeles Kings, especially after they dropped out of the Ilya Kovalchuk race.

Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir writes that the Kings could send prospect Thomas Hickey to the Flyers for Gagne, which would work well for the Kings since he would either sstart the year in the minors or play in the NHL with a minuscule cap hit.

But we know the Flyers have to deal Gagne to get under the cap, so the Kings -- and other suitors -- might wait them out for a few weeks to get a better deal from them.

That would be a good enough return for me as long as the Flyers use that money on Turco.
Hickey + Teubert for Gagne + Carle + Bourdon/Bartulis

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
Maroon/Testwuide - Carter - Giroux
Powe - Betts - Laperriere
Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Hickey - Teubert
O'Donnell

Turco
Leighton

Maybe in my dreams?

Takes care of our future at blueline. Now we'd just need to address wingers in the draft.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:59 PM
PhillyCurt12

i wouldn't be surprised if we included a dman in a trade w/ LA. they never got the memo that the worthwhile UFA dmen would sign before kovy.

what about gagne and carle for quick and hickey? we would likely need to add for LA to consider it.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:00 PM
daynus

kinda bummed

that we are pretty well forced to trade gagne, the guy gave er all for 11 seasons. but this is a move out of necessity, will help us down the road when we need to resign likes of giroux, and if we land turco, combined with that D, wow that is gonna be a strong team for next season.

i myself would prefer Teubert as a starting point from LA. i don't think by waiting from the kings pov, will cheapen any deal. i think we can work out something, pretty fair with ron hextall and the LA Kings. I'd love to see him go there, kings are my western team, my 2nd favorite team.

one of my great gagne memories was many of the new years eves games i watched in Vancouver. if my memory serves me, the season before we smashed the canucks 8-0, then the next season the game was tied up 0-0 for 59 mins 58.8 seconds, 1.2 on the clock, simon gagne scores a nice wrap around for a 1-0 win.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Cleary84

Quote:

Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Hickey - Teubert
O'Donnell

Turco
Leighton
That's beautiful right there.

I like Hickey a lot!

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
JABEE

Eklund just posted this.

Flyers interested in Bernier?

Rumors persist that if the Flyers move Gagne, they could go hard in a trade for Kings backup Bernier....

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:11 PM
daynus

ecklund

yah bernier would/could be a good long term goalie, but we are built to win now.

riginally Posted by Chris Shafer

Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Hickey - Teubert
O'Donnell

Turco
Leighton

chris's trade looks very good. is LA really interested in carle. that would turn the kings into a contender sooner than later team, we are a win now type of team. those 2 young studs on D, is really temping, but complicate resigning these/our guys down the road.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
those 2 young studs on D, is really temping, but complicate resigning these/our guys down the road.
Not necessarily. In three years we're likely to be floating in unused cash, particularly from Carle and/or Coburn (6.84m) and Timonen and Hartnell (10.53m).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 03:53 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:

Shelley

Pronger - Meszaros
Timonen - Coburn
Hickey - Teubert
O'Donnell

Turco
Leighton

Maybe in my dreams?

Takes care of our future at blueline. Now we'd just need to address wingers in the draft.
That Richards line would be so weak defensively it isn't funny. I'm sorry. JvR's defense is not good, he is a weak backchecker and blew plenty of assignments in the playoffs. Zherdev's reputation as being weak defensively only makes things worse.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Flyersguru

Holmgren had decided on trading Gagne back in March.

Flyers have no intentions of re-signing him after his deal was up and believe (as do I) that he isn't worth close to his $5.25 million price tag.

He is not being traded or are we being forced to trade him because of the salary cap so please stop posting it, it's been part of the plan the entire time. You don't wake up one morning and say he are going to trade Simon Gagne.

Just wanted to pass that tidbit along.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post

Flyers have no intentions of re-signing him after his deal was up and believe (as do I) that he isn't worth close to his $5.25 million price tag.

He is not being traded because of the salary cap so please stop posting it, it's been part of the plan the entire time.

Lolz. Okay. Did Holmgren tell you he had decided on that? I don't ever remember seeing it.

While he isn't worth quite $5.25 million, he is still worth a lot. He is a reliable scorer and is quite responsible defensively.

And he is being traded due to poor management (I.e. signing Shelley and Leighton, both of whom could have replaced on the market by far more talented options for the same or cheaper price). If this had happened, we wouldn't be facing the decision to trade Gagne.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
ArmchairGM

Would Ottawa be interested in Gagne? Maybe something based around Gagne +4th Round Pick for Nick Foligno + Patrick Wiercioch + Erik Condra.

I think that could be a good return for Philadelphia. Considering Foligno will most likely get around 1.8 (RFA), we would still have room to re-sign Carcillo/Powe and sign Turco.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:29 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
That Richards line would be so weak defensively it isn't funny. I'm sorry. JvR's defense is not good, he is a weak backchecker and blew plenty of assignments in the playoffs. Zherdev's reputation as being weak defensively only makes things worse.
hartnell-briere-leino is a defensive disaster on paper, but they actually were fairly responsible. i agree that i would be hesitant to throw jvr on that line, but stranger things have worked.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 04:46 PM
sg12lw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
hartnell-briere-leino is a defensive disaster on paper, but they actually were fairly responsible. i agree that i would be hesitant to throw jvr on that line, but stranger things have worked.
key word(s)

in the finals 12 18 17 was our worst line offensively and defensively

and 19 48 22 was our best

its weird, but thats why they play the game, right??

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:10 PM
clodejirew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
Per ESPN insider rumors:

That's what happens when you keep making signings when you don't have the cap room. Now there is no way we can get full value for Gagne since everyone knows the Flyers need to shed salary. I don't see Holmgren's train of thought for all of these moves. They should have waited to sign Leighton, Shelley, and Zherdev until they had the cap room to sign them.

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:19 PM
King Fish

I think the Flyers are asking for Hickey or Bernier to be the main part of the trade and LA is standing firm.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
That's what happens when you keep making signings when you don't have the cap room. Now there is no way we can get full value for Gagne since everyone knows the Flyers need to shed salary. I don't see Holmgren's train of thought for all of these moves. They should have waited to sign Leighton, Shelley, and Zherdev until they had the cap room to sign them.
I think you're right, in some respects, about the timing of the Leighton signing. That said, I don't think they could've realistically waited out the Kovalchuk situation (which is still going on) for a lot of teams to gain interest in Gagne. Zherdev and Shelley would've most likely signed elsewhere by now. Not that Shelley, with all due respect to him, would've broken my heart by signing elsewhere.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
getting interesting. Not sure gagne will waive to go to the team flyers are talking too.. more to come.
http://twitter.com/Eklund/status/18227435875

Hmm...

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Does anyone think the Flyers might pull a switch on us and get rid of Hartnell and replace him with Maroon for next season? Maroon has the body to replace Hartnell, but needs a chance to prove himself.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Does anyone think the Flyers might pull a switch on us and get rid of Hartnell and replace him with Maroon for next season? Maroon has the body to replace Hartnell, but needs a chance to prove himself.
Not a chance. You don't do this with/to a player and then bring him back. Trading him is business, but doing that and then trying to bring him back, now that would be dirty.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
All this talk of Maroon and Testwuide being in our starting lineup is worse than Leighton being our starting goalie. What's the fascination with putting these kids in major roles?? Give me Bill Guerin for a million over these guys.

Last edited by healthyscratch: 07-10-2010 at 07:09 PM.
healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post

He is not being traded or are we being forced to trade him because of the salary cap so please stop posting it, it's been part of the plan the entire time. You don't wake up one morning and say he are going to trade Simon Gagne.

I'm sure i'm not alone in saying this...you posting your opinion as fact gets very old fast. Especially since all of your posts make it sound like they are coming directly from Holmgren.

Though I could be wrong, maybe you do know all the facts, though you'd think we'd see a lot more links coming from you if this were the case.

There's a difference between being delusional and a guru.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote