HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Development Camp - July 6-11th - Roster Announced

Old
07-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Hard life
According to another tweet this evening a larger group of prospects (lead by Geoffrion) spent the day helping rebuild the Bellevue Inline Hockey rink destroyed in the recent flooding. I'm sure at least another group visited at the Children's Hospital and many others were scattered across the community.

When people ask what the Predators bring to the community it is the little acts of kindness and humility that go largely unnoticed until they are gone. Kudos to all the prospects for their efforts today!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Scottyk9
Stuck in purgatory.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Any word on how Halischuk is doing ? I'd be watching you guys closely this yr if he makes the team.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Any word on how Halischuk is doing ? I'd be watching you guys closely this yr if he makes the team.
He didn't skate on Wednesday, but someone told me they saw a #19 skating on Thursday. I didn't see that player though...so I'm hoping we catch him this weekend.

Halischuk is a player I'm looking forward to seeing. He is a guy I remember liking from the WJCs and look forward to seeing where he fits in here. Likely to start the year in Milwaukee, but should be high on the recall list at wing...

Old
07-10-2010, 01:21 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
any reports from, today's scrimmage?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
There was no scrimmage ... (Left @ 12:40), probably scrimmaging tomorrow

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstreet View Post
luckily they had names on the backs of jerseys today.

spent a lot of time catching up with people, so reports are just minimal impressions. I don't have the tech knowledge to analyze.

blum didn't stand out in any good way.

Ryan Ellis, Josi, Bourque seemed to stand out. (in a good way) So did Watson and Geoffrion.
(seemed like there was an interesting line of Geoffrion, Ellis and Chelina? (that blonde guy)----at the end of the time when they did those short scrimmage like things with 2 goalies and going the width of the rink--- they seemed to click...)

Latta was intense and was really getting pissed off when he lost a face off in a face off drill.

We tried to talk Paul McCann into announcing a goal by Shea Freakin Weber next season.............he got a kick out of it, but it sounded like he was pretty handcuffed by what he could say......and keep his job.
He said he was thinking about organizing a road trip to the Carolina game. But this was just mentioned in passing.

I think we're so lucky to have Gelinas........he looked to have a great relationship with the guys and looked to be having a good time out there.
It was funny when he would be defending and just with little movements prevent a frustrated rookie from getting around him.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
luckily they had names on the backs of jerseys today.

spent a lot of time catching up with people, so reports are just minimal impressions. I don't have the tech knowledge to analyze.

Ryan Ellis, Josi, Bourque seemed to stand out. (in a good way) So did Watson and Geoffrion.
(seemed like there was an interesting line of Geoffrion, Ellis and Chelina? (that blonde guy)----at the end of the time when they did those short scrimmage like things with 2 goalies and going the width of the rink--- they seemed to click...)

Latta was intense and was really getting pissed off when he lost a face off in a face off drill.

We tried to talk Paul McCann into announcing a goal by Shea Freakin Weber next season.............he got a kick out of it, but it sounded like he was pretty handcuffed by what he could say......and keep his job.
He said he was thinking about organizing a road trip to the Carolina game. But this was just mentioned in passing.

I think we're so lucky to have Gelinas........he looked to have a great relationship with the guys and looked to be having a good time out there.
It was funny when he would be defending and just with little movements prevent a frustrated rookie from getting around him.
me and patty started laying the roots for a carolina roadie at the skate of the union

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

(seemed like there was an interesting line of Geoffrion, Ellis and Chelina? (that blonde guy)----at the end of the time when they did those short scrimmage like things with 2 goalies and going the width of the rink--- they seemed to click...
Blum and Engren are having the two worst camps IMO. For Engren it's more a case of him being slightly off and could be as minor as working on something with Korn that's throwing him off...but, for Blum...he looks uninterested and at times upset to be here. If Blum brings the same attitude to training camp he'll assure himself a spot in Milwaukee.

Cehlin again impressed me today. Really reminds me of a younger Erat. Just in case anyone is wondering...Coach Blais has them continuing to work on power skating and as a result...they incorporate "delays" (spin-o-ramas) into virtually every drill to work on edge work...

Change of plans. I'm driving back Monday now...so...scrimmage here I come!!!

Old
07-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Blum and Engren are having the two worst camps IMO. For Engren it's more a case of him being slightly off and could be as minor as working on something with Korn that's throwing him off...but, for Blum...he looks uninterested and at times upset to be here. If Blum brings the same attitude to training camp he'll assure himself a spot in Milwaukee.

Cehlin again impressed me today. Really reminds me of a younger Erat. Just in case anyone is wondering...Coach Blais has them continuing to work on power skating and as a result...they incorporate "delays" (spin-o-ramas) into virtually every drill to work on edge work...

Change of plans. I'm driving back Monday now...so...scrimmage here I come!!!
Slake - make sure you see me tomorrow. I will have something for you. I'm baking tonight.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM
hockey diva
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll be there as well. Blum wasn't smiling at the Skate of the Union either. If he is going to have that sort of attitude can we just trade him now before he becomes a headache?

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Slake - make sure you see me tomorrow. I will have something for you. I'm baking tonight.
Definitely! Very cool. Thank you!

Had a great time today hanging out and meeting with Spank303, Jeremy from Section 303, Ryan from RLD Hockey, AJ from Pull My Fang Finger, Jackson from PredsOnTheGlass, and Mark from The View From 111. Also met PattyPred in the parking lot and enjoyed talking with her briefly as well before the sky started opening up on us...

Couple more observations tonight before I go to bed.

Due to my extended stay in NC after my seizure in December, I don't currently have phone, TV, or Internet service at the house and have been typing this all out on my iPhone. Therefore, my posts have lacked significant detail, but I promise I'll do something more extensive early next week when I get back to NC. I will be returning to Nashville full-time hopefully towards the start of August and barring anything else unexpected...will be at the arena all year next season. It's really meant a lot to meet all of you this week and has me even more excited for the start of the hockey season!

- If Ryan Ellis goes to camp and plays a little less aggressively/picks his spots better in the exhibition season...he will force the Predators hands and likely earn at least a 9 game tryout. I cannot see the team keeping him next season, but it is clear he is ready for the challenge and I think provided he continues his current development track...he will be rewarded and get a taste of NHL hockey. Ryan Ellis is the real deal.

- Foss plays with quite the nasty streak to his game. Drove two players through the net in a drill today and then another quite forcefully a little later. Doesn't shy away from contact. Plays a simple game, but hadn't seen that side of his game till today.

- Klasen has two dynamic skills. First are his hands and stickhandling ability. Guy simply creates offense with the puck on his stick, but will start in Milwaukee this season as he adjusts to the smaller North American rinks. Linus does have a tendency to try too hard to make something happen and cause turnovers. The second talent though is skating. Klasen doesn't have top end breakaway speed, but two very important keys to his game are his ability to hit the turbo button and accelerate at will and second is his shiftiness on his skates. Watch Klasen as he shoots. Everyone uses some type of head fake or other method of distraction to trick the goalie, but at this level it doesn't work too well. What Klasen has down to a science is that he always does something with his skates/feet. It's one of the cues a goalie uses to judge your release. Move your upper body and the goalie doesn't likely have to move much, but shuffle your feet or take a couple quick strides to your left or right and the goalie has no choice but to react. Get the goalie moving...open up holes. Watch it tomorrow.

- Nick Oliver, admittedly the biggest disappointment from last year's draft class. Had his scholarship to St. Cloud State deferred a year and will be returning to the USHL. Had impressed me several times this week in drills and I was really getting perplexed as to why he didn't perform better...then the SAG's started today and he looked like a fish out of water. Has a lot to prove this year on the ice. Can't have a repeat of last season's lack of production...

- Ian MacKenzie is in his third prospect camp and fifth overall if you add in training camp the past two seasons. He has definitely improved since turning pro, but is still a LONG way away from cracking an NHL roster. MacKenzie must first concentrate this season on being a full-time AHL Ayer after being assigned to Cincinnati for at least half the season the past two years.

- Cam Reid has impressed me in both camps he's attended and has definitely refined some of his skating and puck skills from last season. Starting as a freshman at SCSU in the fall, Reid needs to fill out his frame. Honestly the thinnest player in camp...

- Jani Lajunen is attending his third camp and is signed and scheduled to play in Milwaukee this season. Problem however is that AGAIN he isn't participating in the full camp. Missing on Day 1 and only seen as one of Mitch Korn's designated shooters with Colin Wilson the rest of the week for goalie drills. Has missed time in all three camps.

- Michael Latta became one of my favorites last year and has done nothing to disappoint this year. Seems to have grown both in terms of on-ice skills and also physically. Plays with an edge. Doesn't like to lose. Solid skill base to go along with intensity, grit, and projectable frame. Latta will be an NHL player.

That's all for tonight. Gonna get to sleep. It's early, but I'm exhausted after spending the whole day travelling around Middle Tennessee today with my family after leaving the rink. Looking forward to getting back to the rink tomorrow. Hope to see all of you there!

Old
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Seth Lake

Last note about Foss. He owned Oliver with the hit of the day in a 2 on 1 w/backchecker drill today. Oliver was coming in down the wing with the puck, Foss read support from the backchecker picking up the second forward and stepped up as Oliver tried to cut to the middle with his head down as bobbled the puck in his feet. A clean open ice hit that leveled Oliver. Lambert immediately stopped and changed the drill up. Could've been by design, but I think he really read the situation and didn't want anything to break out in terms of retaliation. That hit hurt...

Old
07-10-2010, 11:07 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Taylor Beck has impressed me. The kid loves to shoot the puck. He's got a good hard wrister and has a knack of going to the net in drills. I think he's a sleeper from last years draft.

Zach Budish is a big kid who also likes shooting and going to the net. He doesn't have the shot that Beck has but he's an imposing force with a good competitive streak. During faceoff drills, he gave it his all and didn't like getting beat, even though he's a winger.

Mark Santorelli has his brothers knack of putting the puck in the net in practice but I don't think he's got the size or strength to make it to the next level.

Rask has been a very nice surprise as has Cehlin. Both have very good skills and are ultra competitive.

Foss and Ekholm on the blue line have both looked pretty solid. Nothing spectacular but solid. Foss goes to RPI which has a tendency to put out players who are good defensively. Could be a nice find if he pans out. Good defensive defenseman.

Josi and Ellis could make a very dynamic pair in time. Josi is smooth out there and Ellis has top notch skills. He is always able to get a good shot on net. How he gets it through traffic or allows his guys to tip it are amazing to me but for a little guy, he's gonna be a good one. He also doesn't mind getting physical and picking his spots when he does.

Blum has looked disinterested as others have stated. Just looks bored more than anything.

Roussel and Watson have looked better to me as camp has moved on. They just didn't have any flow on Wednesday but today I think they started to find their stride.

I will say this, after being at camp the last bunch of years, I notice we have more guys with talent so certain guys don't stand out as much now. Before, you could always tell the really good players from the guys that never had a chance. Now I watch these camps and notice the depth of players we have coming up in the system. It's really fun to watch to be honest and the competition is going to make everyone play and compete harder which will make everyone better in the long run because nothing is a given as far as making a roster spot whether it be here, in Milwaukee or in Cincinnati.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:04 AM
OpenWheel

Thanks for the reports guys! I love the sounds of it as far as depth.

I'm glad Ellis is showing the skills and grit to have a good chance to make it someday soon. When Poile said "if he was three inches taller" I was thinking "well he's not three inches taller, and when you're three inches shorter you have to have greater skills." Sounds like Poile was right and he has them.

Blum could have really set himself up, with a great camp. It would have the coaches thinking of him the rest of the summer as a likely roster spot and not look around as much or be thinking of the other young defenders. If he hasn't had a great prospect camp, he'll have much less room for error in the fall camp, and will still have to set himself apart.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-11-2010 at 12:10 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:53 AM
kivaerijo

all these statements about blum...so you think that they have already told him that he doesnt have a spot this year (maybe just to test him)? not that that would be a good reason for him to act this way, but...

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:56 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
- If Ryan Ellis goes to camp and plays a little less aggressively/picks his spots better in the exhibition season...he will force the Predators hands and likely earn at least a 9 game tryout. I cannot see the team keeping him next season, but it is clear he is ready for the challenge and I think provided he continues his current development track...he will be rewarded and get a taste of NHL hockey. Ryan Ellis is the real deal.

!
meaning you think they will trade hime next year? or is that suppose to be "keeping him down next year"?

Old
07-11-2010, 02:02 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
meaning you think they will trade hime next year? or is that suppose to be "keeping him down next year"?
Not keeping him in Nashville. He can't play in Milwaukee because he's 3 days too young so he either has to go back to the OHL or play in Nashville.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:28 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Not keeping him in Nashville. He can't play in Milwaukee because he's 3 days too young so he either has to go back to the OHL or play in Nashville.
This. He misses the deadline by less than 24 hours being born on January 1st! Ellis has a very bright future ahead here in Nashville.

Old
07-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
all these statements about blum...so you think that they have already told him that he doesnt have a spot this year (maybe just to test him)? not that that would be a good reason for him to act this way, but...
Honestly...No, I don't think they've told Blum anything. Pure speculation on my part, but I think Blum just completed his first pro season and likely is disturbed by having to be here this week instead of being allowed to continue recouping and training on his own. Between prospect and training camps...I think this is Blum's fifth since being drafted. Geoffrion has gone through five prospect camps and is just now getting ready for his first training camp...

Old
07-11-2010, 08:49 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
just got back from a 16 hour d on 4 hours sleep...thats what i get for posting in that condition. surprised it didnt come out....ojoghr rtiu g ssdfh irti vnkdgksgk kkf d jg jgg.

well...off to work again.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:53 AM
AdmiralsShortShifts

We're really surprised to hear the reports about Blum seeming disinterested. From our experience with him, he's been professional off the ice and never acted like a diva in any sort of way. On the ice, at least in games, he always seemed to keep emotions in check, which has good points and bad points. Never got to see him in practice though. But we'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's just Manny being Manny, and looks might be a bit deceiving.

But yeah, we're not there, so we're not seeing what you're seeing.

But we're excited to hear the positive buzz about a lot of the folks that will probably be in Milwaukee this year. Thanks for the reports! Looking forward to reading about the scrimmages today!

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:23 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Im out of town so the reports have been great to read, thanks!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
hattrix40

This is Blums 7th camp and everyone is ripping on him. He is not looking good out there? Could it be that most players don't usually skate during July? Blum is coming off an outstanding season in Milwaukee, where I think he showed Nashville that he is going to be an outstanding Dman for there team. Could it be Blum is preparing himself for main camp to show Nashville he is ready to play? Nashville already knows what Blum is about from this last season in Milwaukee. So just wait until main camp where Blum will be a top Dman throughout the camp.

And Hockey Diva calm down sorry there wasn't a smile for you, i'm pretty sure the thousands of other people got a smile.

hattrix40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrix40 View Post
This is Blums 7th camp and everyone is ripping on him. He is not looking good out there? Could it be that most players don't usually skate during July? Blum is coming off an outstanding season in Milwaukee, where I think he showed Nashville that he is going to be an outstanding Dman for there team. Could it be Blum is preparing himself for main camp to show Nashville he is ready to play? Nashville already knows what Blum is about from this last season in Milwaukee. So just wait until main camp where Blum will be a top Dman throughout the camp.

And Hockey Diva calm down sorry there wasn't a smile for you, i'm pretty sure the thousands of other people got a smile.
Blum had a much better day today, but I don't think it was any coincidence that it was because they had a 3 on 3 tournament instead of drills to close out the camp. He simply looked bored this week. I don't blame him, but it was very evident. As for signing autographs at the SOTU, I too failed to see a smile and went through the line significantly after HockeyDiva. As a matter of fact, she was talking to me for 20 minutes as I made my way up to the table.

Bottom line is that Blum didn't appear to want to be there this week and was likely perturbed that he didn't get the "veteran" treatment Wilson received having only to serve as the designated shooter for Coach Korn during goalie drills. I didn't get that either and also never found out why Halischuk or Spaling didn't attend either.

Blum will compete and be given every opportunity to fight for the No. 6 role in training camp two months from now. Parent doesn't have that job locked down and I expect a vicious battle between Blum, Parent, and Josi for the spot. I think what caught many offguard this week was that Blum didn't appear to want to try to impress anyone this week and put forth a subpar performance.

We've all seen him play. We know what he can do. Problem is that this week he didn't bring it and for a guy with the possibility to crack the roster this year...that's not gonna cut it. Better bring it as you say come September...

Old
07-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Seth Lake

Austin Watson was missing from camp today and word comes via Twitter this afternoon that Austin's mother gave birth today to her 10th child!!!

Word also comes that Blake Geoffrion will be on NewsChannel 5's Sunday sports show tonight and Jon Blum will appear likewise on WKRN's Sunday night sports show...