HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR Off-Season Thread Part 2

Old
07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

vCash: 500
He needs a smaller place now that Voros moved out.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
SELLER: Sean Avery
PRICE: $1,695,000
SIZE: 1,123 square feet, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms

http://realestalker.blogspot.com/201...ery-lists.html
My opinion before Avery joined the team was that, based on his reputation, he was going to cause problems in the locker room.

My opinion now, nothing other than pure speculation based on things various beat writers have said, is that such a problem does exist and that the team would likely be better off with someone younger taking up his roster spot.

I know people love his game, and he is a nice asset to have on the ice at times, especially at his cap hit, but I just wonder about what happens when he steps off the ice.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:52 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

I'm still bummed we didn't sign Lombardi. He's really the only free-agent I wanted... Got a little more than Prospal and EC combined. 3.5M is a very fair price for a sub-30 year old top-6 Center. Surprised he didn't get more.

Would have loved to see us go after Versteeg as well. I wonder if the Hawks had any interest in Sang's.. Seems like something could have been done to make it happen from my keyboards POV.

Both these guys could have helped this team tomorrow, and down the road. Affordable, productive guys that would have bolstered our top-6 without breaking the bank, or potentially giving up vital assets.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:30 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
My opinion before Avery joined the team was that, based on his reputation, he was going to cause problems in the locker room.

My opinion now, nothing other than pure speculation based on things various beat writers have said, is that such a problem does exist and that the team would likely be better off with someone younger taking up his roster spot.
Link? There hasn't been a single thing written/reported by any sports journalist, especially during his 2nd stint with NYR. Nothing, not a peep. During parts of the year when the team was struggling, he stepped up in a minor role as a leader on the team. Your post is purely 100% speculation on your part and NOT based on what some beat writers have said. Because there's been nothing said whatsoever.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Blazephr

scroll down to "New Joint"

http://seanavery.com/blog

Old
07-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Link? There hasn't been a single thing written/reported by any sports journalist, especially during his 2nd stint with NYR. Nothing, not a peep. During parts of the year when the team was struggling, he stepped up in a minor role as a leader on the team. Your post is purely 100% speculation on your part and NOT based on what some beat writers have said. Because there's been nothing said whatsoever.
Absolutely untrue. There was plenty written about the problems Avery caused in the locker room between his first and second stints with the Rangers. Zipay in particular had articles about him which are no longer accessible (whether it be because of the change to a pay site or because he became a Ranger again, who knows). Articles such as his and this one were to be found aplenty: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,141775

The problems he caused in his first stint were talked about far and wide. Never DURING the time he was a Ranger, only after. Just as now, no one from the Rangers' beat would actually talk about anything negative within the locker room. Only once he leaves the team for the second time would those articles be written.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Absolutely untrue. There was plenty written about the problems Avery caused in the locker room between his first and second stints with the Rangers. Zipay in particular had articles about him which are no longer accessible (whether it be because of the change to a pay site or because he became a Ranger again, who knows). Articles such as his and this one were to be found aplenty: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,141775

The problems he caused in his first stint were talked about far and wide. Never DURING the time he was a Ranger, only after. Just as now, no one from the Rangers' beat would actually talk about anything negative within the locker room. Only once he leaves the team for the second time would those articles be written.

The only thing I remember was the NYR PR machine was in full tilt with guys like The Maven throwing dirt in Avery's direction after he left for Dallas. Before he left, Fischler was on the Avery bandwagon. Bunch of B.S. if you ask me.

From the link you provided to Puck Daddy......

"We decided to ask a variety of the Rangers' top bloggers and columnists about New York's struggles and what Avery's return could mean for the team. Joining us for this roundtable are Dubi Silverstein of Blueshirt Bulletin; blogger Scotty Hockey; from Kukla's Korner and several other sites, Patrick Hoffman; blogger The Dark Ranger; from 5-hole.com, Eric Roitman; NY Sports Day editor-in-chief Joe McDonald; and from the terrific Beyond the Blueshirts, Laurie."

Those are not beat writers/journalists. ALL bloggers.

and here's what they had to say about Avery/locker-room.

DARK RANGER: Eight. As I see it, though Sean would not be greeted in the locker room with open arms (Stephen Valiquette, Wade Redden, Marcus Naslund to be specific -- they hate the guy); and though Avery's stats and stints are not that of any all-star -- no one can overlook THE FACT that when Avery played in the lineup as a Ranger, the Rangers won games. BLOGGER

ROITMAN: I'd say it's about a nine on the desperation scale. Around the time Avery was gathering a group of reporters to discuss the finer points of what it means to be first (and not second), the Rangers were 17-7-2 and the general consensus towards Avery was "Good riddance... not our problem anymore." BLOGGER

SCOTTY: He wouldn't fit into the lineup well, or into the locker room at least, but that is what they need. BLOGGER

SCOTTY: I was about to say Gomez, since there is no one else stupid enough to take his contract but that goes doubly for Drury unless he somehow puts up a Conn Smythe before your three years are up. Gomez could have an incredible Olympics next season and that would show people that he just needs a change in scenery. Avery isn't here so he can't be picked ... but at the end of the day, I can't see Renney being fired. Boy, was this "blogger" off.

and of course you chose to cite Newsday, which is now a pay site. Can't look up old articles.

Last edited by Blazephr: 07-11-2010 at 06:51 AM.