HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette - Questions Linger about Halak Trade

Old
07-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post
What's concerning to me is how unwavering it seems we were in our pursuit of Eller. For us to be that high on him we must of compiled some convincing scouting reports. That's what scares me. Our piss poor scouting staff couldn't identify high-end offensive talent if it punched them in the face. This deal could be a potential disaster both hockey-wise and PR-wise.
How can this turn out to be a disaster?

Maybe Eller ends up being nothing more than a decent 3rd line center, I'd be a little disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

Maybe Price can't handle the pressure and we don't make the playoffs this year. All that means is that we get JS Giguere and maybe a prospect like Pechurski in the off season and start over with clean slate.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:50 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
You are comparing oranges with apples. Halak is proven, Eller is not. "Being proven" must have more trading value than "having potential", don't you think?
"Being Proven" is not having a good season, followed by a great one with a great playoffs. Jim Carey was proven. In fact, it isn't totally out of left field to see a goalie go from great to bad from year to next (raycroft, Mason, Theodore, Carey, Price, etc.)

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:56 PM
RE-HABS

This is just a reporters opinion, and McGuire is an expert?

Last time I checked he was an analysis for TSN and NBC, and got shot down for the Wild job and wasn't even considered for any others.

The guy isn't an GM, and many teams can say they were interested and didn't get a call, but were they willing to give up one if not their top prospect and another prospect with potential for Halak?

Probably not.

Montreal worked fast on this as Mason could have easily been re-signed or the Blues could have went after another UFA without losing players.

The journalist and McGuire both say Eller has to be a top 6 if not the deal is a dud. What happens if Halak goes to St. Louis and fails?

Has that scenario ever been thought of?

He now is a #1, no legit back up there to steal the job, is now getting paid to get those wins and is playing behind a far weaker team than that of the Habs. Plus the West is a more offensively talented conference with more speed and more of an open game than that of the tighter checking East.

Too many in Montreal are all putting the "Deal Breaker - Hype to Live Up To" on Eller and Gauthier and nothing on Halak and the Blues.

And a final note, Gainey is an advisor. Gauthier is the GM, if he didn't want Price he would have dealt Price or kept both. It is like the journalist is forgetting that Gauthier was a GM in Ottawa and Anaheim, he isn't a guy learning the ropes or a guy wanting to salvage a friendship...the NHL is a business and Gainey would be the first to tell you that as he wasn't afraid to fire good buddy Carbo.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Do you realize they got a proven & young top 4 defenseman (Allen) and a proven power forward (Bertuzzi), and this is still considered like a steal from Vancouver?

For our own potential franchise goalie, we got... 2 unproven kids??? And according to a few fans on this board, this is supposed to be fair??
Do you realize that Allen is no where nere a top 4 defenseman on a good team and that Bertuzzi was starting is decline when traded?

Eller is worth more than those 2. As for Halak being a franchise goalie, lol, so many people get excited way too quickly over guys with 1 year wonders. Yes, he potentially can be good, but I doubt he ever comes near franchise type. He will look even smaller in net next year with the new equipment rule. Let's see how he does after a full year of being number 1, and then we'll talk.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
"Being Proven" is not having a good season, followed by a great one with a great playoffs. Jim Carey was proven. In fact, it isn't totally out of left field to see a goalie go from great to bad from year to next (raycroft, Mason, Theodore, Carey, Price, etc.)
Agreed, and even still it's a little one sided for McGuire to base his entire argument on "if Eller doesn't pan out, it's a terrible trade for Montreal"

Well that's pretty freakin obvious now isn't it? If the main piece of a trade coming our way doesn't end up being a good NHLer then yah, the trade wasn't such a good idea...

But the notion that Eller might actually turn out to be a pretty darn good NHLer never seems to enter the discussion. Not only that, McGuire goes on about "Team needs" with the Price bit, then fails to mention that the Habs acquired someone who fills an exact team need with the Halak deal if all works out.

Funny thing is, I agree completely with Pierre that the timing of the deal was completely bizarre. Waiting for the draft would have probably upped the return or at least given Gauthier a better feel for the market. Yet still, somehow, he makes me feel dirty for agreeing with him.

Make your arguments Pierre, but for crying out loud take a look at both sides of the coin when you do!

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:07 PM
RE-HABS

McGuire fails to state that there were little to no trades at the draft. So why would that have made or opened a market for Halak?

Plus he also fails to state that the signings of the UFA goalies out there were very, very low. If the teams interested in Halak were some of the teams that signed Ellis, Mason, Leighton and Niittymaki for the low dollar amouts they paid then they were not offering a lot in trade, and the quick signings of those goalies also limited Montreal with trading partners.

If anything Gauthier anticipated the market correctly as he knew there was a good UFA goalie pool this year and acted properly by getting the best value for Halak ahead of the draft and the July 1st UFA day.

McGuire got schooled in that article. Shows his genius for sure and why he'll never be a GM.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Pee-air McGuire is doing the dancing turd again.

A few years back, Bryzgalov was said to be of golden worth on the trade market, as he had an impressive playoffs. After much speculation, he went on the waiver wire to get picked-up for peanuts.
Well, I think he proved the entire league retarded on that one, having come in second in Vezina voting this year, and earning a post season 2nd all star team berth. Not sure how much I'd rely on this situation to "determine" the worth of goalies in trades, as I'd imagine there are at least a few teams that would "up the ante" or at least put in a bid if they could go back in time.

Quote:
Ever since, goalies have gone for much lower than their market value. The full and complete realization that goalies' worth on the trade market was now at an all-time low, hit when Luongo got traded for much much lower than his market value.
I still don't know how much lower than his "market value" I consider that return. Bertuzzi, after coming back from his suspension and dealing with all that drama, had just put up his 3rd best season (statistically) and was still only 30. Allen was still a 24/25 year old former 4th overall pick and top defensive prospect coming into that season. Finally, Auld, a former 2nd round pick, was still only 25 and had provided some pretty reliable (yet unspectacular) goaltending up to that point.

Flip it around, and you have Auld, who (minus the incredible post season) was essentially in the same position as Halak was this year (25 year old who "stole" the starting job from the expected #1, Cloutier). They had to add a still producing Bertuzzi and Allen (still a top defensive prospect/project that season) to get Luongo and a 6th round pick. That's a bit low of a return for Luongo, perhaps (especially if you're one of those firmly on his jock considering him a goaltending god), but not horrible.

Quote:
The return we got for Halak, is almost as good Florida had for Luongo...
I think I showed above that this is probably not the case, but that's just my opinion, and I'm not going to fight to defend it tooth and nail.

Quote:
Anyone saying Saint-Louis got the advantage in that trade are smoking some really good stuff... really, they did? Please bring out a list of all goalie trades in the post-lockout era, you will see just how much your bias is blinding you.
Well, let's be honest. They added one of the best goalies in the league to their roster without having to give up a roster player to do it. That has to be considered an "advantage", no matter how good Eller is projected by many to be in the future. It's up to Eller's development and potential to justify the trade now, and not the other way around.

And I don't think a list of goalie trades is going to provide very much insight. Everyone should have trouble finding suitably comparable deals in which such a young promising goalie, coming off a remarkable season helping lead his team to such heights, and still expected to be very affordable once signed, was traded by a team. Many seem to involve goalies in their UFA (not RFA) years, and that obviously affects value/potential return.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:34 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...037/story.html

"What surprised me the most about this whole thing is that (the Canadiens) didn't take their time to move Halak," McGuire said.

"If the Canadiens think that was the best deal they could have got for Jaroslav Halak, I would beg to differ, and I would argue that with them because I know of some teams that were absolutely shocked that he was traded and they didn't even get a call."
Me too. Where was the rush ? Halak's value was at least a good solid second line player who is already NHL proven.

If really the St.Louis was the best partner, why not switcjh their mutual 1st round picks. So, we get Tinordi (or someone elese) and keep our second pick in the process.

And Price is not signed yet ?....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Haberdashery

I was shocked to see Pierre taking a shot at Montreal management...he never does that does he? ;-)

Frankly I'm getting tired of hearing every time we make a trade that there are GM's out there who were surprised they didn't receive a call first....much like the Rivet trade when Burke got all huffy...there's no way in hell he was going to send back more than a 1st rounder (Paccioretty) and Georges, but he whined about not being called anyway.

If these GM's are so interested in a player ...why the hell don't they call that team's GM? Did the other teams not have an inkling that one of Montreal's goalies was going to be dealt? Hardly! Are we seriously supposed to believe that GM's call the other 29 teams first every time they deal a player?

Every GM has certain teams he deals with more often than others - where there's some trust built up. Army was mentored by Gainey...Jarmo worked under Gauthier in Ottawa alongside Trevor... there are some strong connections there. I don't think for a minute that Trevor and/or Pierre didn't talk to Jarmo about this trade, especially now that he's no longer with the Blues. Jarmo had Eller 6th overall on his list in his draft year, and still likes him a lot!

I also wouldn't be shocked if the D'Agostini for Palushaj deal wasn't a precursor to this one. Perhaps PG agreed to deal a goalie to St. Louis after the season...wanting Halak for the possible playoff run..while the Blues were already out of the playoff hunt, so could afford to wait for the goalie in the offseason. Dags and Halak for Palushaj, Eller, Schultz and more cap space to sign Plekanec in hindsight doesn't look like that bad a deal. I know Jarmo thinks the Habs fared rather well in those deals...time will tell....Price needs to keep developing/maturing obviously.

Eller may be our best center prospect since Koivu, and before him Lemaire. That's open for debate, but I did some digging, and there hasn't been many..... To get that for a goalie the team feels in the future won't be as good as one already in the organization... may turn out to be a helluva deal...like the Rivet one.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Nice, i bet some people won't let it go for the next 2 yrs. Especially if Halak does well and Price bombs. It's always like this.. some people still want Koivu and Kovalev back.
It just goes to show that some should just get lobotomized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdashery View Post
I was shocked to see Pierre taking a shot at Montreal management...he never does that does he? ;-)

Frankly I'm getting tired of hearing every time we make a trade that there are GM's out there who were surprised they didn't receive a call first....much like the Rivet trade when Burke got all huffy...there's no way in hell he was going to send back more than a 1st rounder (Paccioretty) and Georges, but he whined about not being called anyway.

If these GM's are so interested in a player ...why the hell don't they call that team's GM? Did the other teams not have an inkling that one of Montreal's goalies was going to be dealt? Hardly! Are we seriously supposed to believe that GM's call the other 29 teams first every time they deal a player?

Every GM has certain teams he deals with more often than others - where there's some trust built up. Army was mentored by Gainey...Jarmo worked under Gauthier in Ottawa alongside Trevor... there are some strong connections there. I don't think for a minute that Trevor and/or Pierre didn't talk to Jarmo about this trade, especially now that he's no longer with the Blues. Jarmo had Eller 6th overall on his list in his draft year, and still likes him a lot!

I also wouldn't be shocked if the D'Agostini for Palushaj deal wasn't a precursor to this one. Perhaps PG agreed to deal a goalie to St. Louis after the season...wanting Halak for the possible playoff run..while the Blues were already out of the playoff hunt, so could afford to wait for the goalie in the offseason. Dags and Halak for Palushaj, Eller, Schultz and more cap space to sign Plekanec in hindsight doesn't look like that bad a deal. I know Jarmo thinks the Habs fared rather well in those deals...time will tell....Price needs to keep developing/maturing obviously.

Eller may be our best center prospect since Koivu, and before him Lemaire. That's open for debate, but I did some digging, and there hasn't been many..... To get that for a goalie the team feels in the future won't be as good as one already in the organization... may turn out to be a helluva deal...like the Rivet one.
My question to those "shocked GM" would be....Why did you not call Montreal knowning there was a surplus of Goalies?......I dont always buy everything that Pierre McGuire says...and this is one of the thing I strongly question....

Last edited by Darz: 07-11-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Perhaps a bit more than just "open for debate", considering the Leblanc pick last year, and how highly Ribeiro was touted coming off his 67 goal, 167 pts in 69 games performance for the Huskies in his draft year, followed by 18 goals, 49 pts in 23 games when he was sent back down to the Q as a 19 year old. Furthermore, look at Ribeiro's numbers at age 20 with Quebec in the AHL and tell me you don't notice a remarkable similarity to what Eller did last year down there.

edit: and now that I think about it, wasn't Higgins originally drafted as a centre, and did he not have a similar track record to Eller when looking at draft position, success internationally (WJCs), and performance in the AHL at 20 before joining the Habs? I don't think many have been mentioning him up to now.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 07-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old
07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
AntonCH

Mcguire is evolving into the Rush Limbaugh of Hockey
Some substance and a lot of hot air combined with an expanding bottom.

Bobby Mac is the one Hockey pundit to pay attention to, the rest? MEH!

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Darz

a) It was a smart move by management to make the trade before July 1st. If Halak would of went to RFA status, it could of allowed a team to get him with an offer sheet. If St. Louis offered him a deal similiar to the one he signed, the habs compenasation, if they didn't match the offer, would of been a 2011 1st and 3rd round pick. Eller and Shultz, imo, are worth alot more than the picks in a weak draft year. And if the habs would of matched the offer, now they have to look to trade a goalie who has signed a 4 year deal....and if a good deal couldn't be found we would run into a problem with RFA offer sheets to Carey Price, or if the goalie trade market dries up, making a move just to make it.
I think PG made the trade at the right time.

b) the 'we didn't get a call' crap doesn't make any sense. Every team in the NHL knew for a LONG time that one of the habs goalies were going to be moved. Any team that was serious about getting into the Halak sweepstakes would of called PG and let them know their intent very early on, they wouldn't of sat back waiting for a phone call. That would be very, very stupid.

07-11-2010, 02:02 PM
BLONG7

How will Halak perform, now that he has alot of pressure? He is their # 1 guy, he gets paid a cap it of 3.75M.......he had no pressure in Montreal the way Price did.......I think Halak could be in tough, now that there are alot of expectations......and at the end of the day, I continue to say, we kept the right guy, just ask Scotty Bowman...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:03 PM
JackZap

Problem PG had is he couldn't take in salary for Halak, so he had to go with prospects. Let's hope they did their homework on Eller.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
How will Halak perform, now that he has alot of pressure? He is their # 1 guy, he gets paid a cap it of 3.75M.......he had no pressure in Montreal the way Price did.......I think Halak could be in tough, now that there are alot of expectations......and at the end of the day, I continue to say, we kept the right guy, just ask Scotty Bowman...
Disagree completely. St.Louis has only made the playoffs once post-lockout. That's all he'll have to help them do to meet most of the expectations, and a first round elimination probably wouldn't disappoint them greatly leading them into the next season (given their youth). I have to think that there is incredible pressure in Montreal to both a) make the playoffs next year, and b) avoid a first round exit. Oh, and it's still St.Louis, not Montreal, so he no longer has any of the pressure that is lumped in that ball of wax.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Haberdashery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Perhaps a bit more than just "open for debate", considering the Leblanc pick last year, and how highly Ribeiro was touted coming off his 67 goal, 167 pts in 69 games performance for the Huskies in his draft year, followed by 18 goals, 49 pts in 23 games when he was sent back down to the Q as a 19 year old. Furthermore, look at Ribeiro's numbers at age 20 with Quebec in the AHL and tell me you don't notice a remarkable similarity to what Eller did last year down there.
I hear ya - I would consider Leblanc to be the second best center prospect since Koivu.

Bringing out Rib's Q numbers made me laugh - Jacques Cossette once scored more than 200 points in the Q...so is he Pittsburgh's best-ever winger prospect?

Eller is significantly bigger, significantly better defensively, significantly more mature, significantly better skater, significantly grittier and a better goal scorer than Ribs. I would say Ribs is/was probably a better playmaker, and that's it.

The only reason Ribs played in Mtl in a teenager was because our depth sucked at that time

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I hear ya - I would consider Leblanc to be the second best center prospect since Koivu.

Bringing out Rib's Q numbers made me laugh - Jacques Cossette once scored more than 200 points in the Q...so is he Pittsburgh's best-ever win prospect?

Eller is significantly bigger, significantly better defensively, significantly more mature, significantly better skater, significantly grittier and a better goal scorer than Ribs. I would say Ribs is/was probably a better playmaker, and that's it.

The only reason Ribs played in Mtl in a teenager was because our depth sucked at that time
None of this changes the fact that at the same age (I guess we'll use 20, since that's how old Eller is... until tomorrow), they were/are (should be/should have been) easily considered similar calibre prospects. In the end, both Ribeiro and Higgins were 20 goal scorers in their first full seasons with the Habs, and both were drafted as centres since Koivu. Not absolutely ranking them in any order, but if someone is going to claim that Eller is definitely the best centre prospect since Koivu or Lemaire (lol), I'm not going to hesitate to fill in the noticeable gaps of those who merit inclusion in the discussion.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Let me give you a hand.

Why is it the English media constantly bash the Habs organization? It's because of the English media that the Canadiens can't attract free agents and that the pressure is too much for our young players. I think the Canadiens should ban all the English media from getting credentials to cover the team. That would teach them a lesson. And they don't even right goodly.
I see what you did there

But most people won't..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
How can this turn out to be a disaster?

Maybe Eller ends up being nothing more than a decent 3rd line center, I'd be a little disappointed but it's not the end of the world.

Maybe Price can't handle the pressure and we don't make the playoffs this year. All that means is that we get JS Giguere and maybe a prospect like Pechurski in the off season and start over with clean slate.
Nothing is really the end of the world, but that scenario you outlined above would be the closest to it if Halak did extremely well in St-Louis to make matters worse.

It would actually be pretty devastating because the players would feel that the GM is throwing wrenches at them and sabotaging the team. They wouldn't say it out loud, but every night we lost because of our goalies, the players would think of that trade. And that great chemistry that was apparently built in the playoffs, I'll be curious to see how long it lasts.

Last edited by Des Louise: 07-11-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:32 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Disagree completely. St.Louis has only made the playoffs once post-lockout. That's all he'll have to help them do to meet most of the expectations, and a first round elimination probably wouldn't disappoint them greatly leading them into the next season (given their youth). I have to think that there is incredible pressure in Montreal to both a) make the playoffs next year, and b) avoid a first round exit. Oh, and it's still St.Louis, not Montreal, so he no longer has any of the pressure that is lumped in that ball of wax.
So, we will have to agree, to disagree...Halak had zero pressure in Montreal, and although St Louis is no Montreal, he will now expected to perform, and perform well...

In Montreal, if we got a good game, or anything positive from him, it was a bonus, he was the backup with no expectations....in St Louis he will be their Carey Price, should be interesting in the upcoming season...

Old
07-11-2010, 02:41 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
So, we will have to agree, to disagree...Halak had zero pressure in Montreal, and although St Louis is no Montreal, he will now expected to perform, and perform well...

In Montreal, if we got a good game, or anything positive from him, it was a bonus, he was the backup with no expectations....in St Louis he will be their Carey Price, should be interesting in the upcoming season...
I guess so. I just don't see where the pressure is going to be coming from in St.Louis. Certainly not the GM, coaches, and teammates. The fans/media? Maybe if they had given up someone like Backes or Oshie (who have had the chance to endear themselves as fan favourites of the St.Louis public), instead of someone who simply represented a piece of the future that they saw for 7 games, they'd expect more from him. Playing in the tougher Western conference might prove to be more difficult, but I don't think "pressure" is the proper phenomenon to explore here.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:44 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
I guess so. I just don't see where the pressure is going to be coming from in St.Louis. Certainly not the GM, coaches, and teammates. The fans/media? Maybe if they had given up someone like Backes or Oshie (who have had the chance to endear themselves as fan favourites of the St.Louis public), instead of someone who simply represented a piece of the future that they saw for 7 games, they'd expect more from him. Playing in the tougher Western conference might prove to be more difficult, but I don't think "pressure" is the proper phenomenon to explore here.
I think the pressure comes from the 3.75M and the expectation of doing something along the lines of what he did in the playoffs, but now in the regualr season...I think he is a good goalie, but not as good as we saw in the playoffs, and to do that through an 82 game schedule, where he will play 55-60 games...we are definitely going to be talking about this all season long....

Old
07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Turboflex*

This article is such a collection of HFboards fail it could pass as satire. It's like all the worst posters here got together and collaborated on writing it, making sure all their idiotic personal distortions and grudges got included:

-Appeal to majority, cuz we all know "the fans" must be right. Hell if a team would only let all decisions be made by polling fans on the street they would surely win a cup every season.

-Revisiting 2009 sweep vs Bruins, if Halak had played we might've won!!! LOL. toss is cheapshot with W/L record, like it matters for goalies.

-More Gainey bashing, the Gazette editorial staff seems to have a lot of these guys for some reason. Maybe cuz they are morons.

-Appeal to the authority of Pierre MacGuire. Pierre gives good colour commentary during broadcasts but is terrible trying to analyse front office decisions, which is maybe why he can't get a job in a NHL front office (not for lack of trying). Pierre is another guy with a grudge against the Gainey regime. Both his poor strategic analytical ability & his grudge were quite evident when he went bonkers over last summer's moves.

-Pierre goes on to 2nd guess the return for Halak, while at the same time mentions he has no idea what was going on or what the market could've been. No mention that Eller is a blue chip, close to value of JVR who the Flyers wouldnt agree to trade for Halak.

-Pierre then adds another classic HFboard fail, retroactively drafting, 20/20 hindsight. Saying Habs shoulda taken Kopitar or Staal instead of Price. Staal is kind of laughable anyways, and 6 other teams passed on Kopitar, and most of their picks are disappointments while Price still has all star potential.

-More harping about big centres, even tho the only centres over 6'2 in the final four were Thorton & Carter, both guys who didn't do anying. Phlly's best centre? Briere the smurf. Big centres are not essential, a smaller centre who is well built and willing to play dirty is just as effective. Size does not matter as much as strength, balance and grit.

Basically another overall terrible article from the Gazette, people getting paidmoney (!!) to churn out crap that would get laughed off HFboards. Look forward to Jack Todd's weekly excrement tomorrow, brought to you by the Gazette, one of the worst newspapers in the country.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I think the pressure comes from the 3.75M and the expectation of doing something along the lines of what he did in the playoffs, but now in the regualr season...I think he is a good goalie, but not as good as we saw in the playoffs, and to do that through an 82 game schedule, where he will play 55-60 games...we are definitely going to be talking about this all season long....
I don't think that's a fair one, either, as that contract is the furthest thing from a handcuff on St.Louis management. They already have 16 players signed (with only Johnson and Perron left to sign among their important pieces), and they're only at $38 million against the cap. Regardless of how the season goes down, I don't expect St.Louis fans to spend lots of time speculating/complaining as to how an extra million bucks should have been squeezed from Halak and applied to another area. In fact, I think it's fairly universally believed that Halak's deal is a bargain, so I doubt any "pressure" that falls on Halak derives from the contract.

As for pressure to repeat his performance from last year, a lot of the "experts" around here (meaning the Habs board) don't expect him to ever come close to repeating last year, so why should the rest of the laypeople? In all seriousness, though, if the expectations aren't considered to be realistic, then you can't really expect there to be a lot of pressure to meet them, can you.

Old
07-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Yeah, I am sure that none hockey initiated HF board poster would see it that way.

However, the reality is more like internally and with St-Louis fans, the expectations will indeed be very high since they traded a great prospect taken in the 1st round in Eller (13th overall) plus a 3rd (Schultz) to get Halak....they will be looking for a decent return now....

I have no clue where you take your hockey notions...Do you just wake up in the morning having dreamed that crap?

Quote:
Anyone that has actually played the game will tell you that teammates, the fans and media will have great expectations given what they gave up to get Halak...PLUS, Halak just had 6 weeks of pure godness.....

Again, its a case of not knowing the game and the prevaling environment....yet, its hockey 101

If Montreal had traded a second round (say PK Subban) for a player, would we not all have increadible expectations on the acquired player?.....really, its childs play yet you do not seem to get it....

Last edited by Darz: 07-11-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote