HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2010, 03:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Orange Team Lines

Wellwood-Ginand-Hanson
Rowe-Holmstrom-Testwuide
Ranford-Flynn-Gal

Gustafsson-Lauridsen
Blidstrand-Banwell
Hostetter

Riopel
Phillips

Black Team Lines

McGinn-Pither-Harper
Sheen-Mountain-Labrecque
Rinaldo-Chaput-Dowling

Bourdon-Beattie
Marshall-Dudas
Luukko-Hill

Morrison
Rawlings

Overall, I wasn't that impressed by anybody. Everyone kind of blended together and nobody stood out all that much, but that's to be expected because we have no blue chip prospects. The Testwuide & JVR comparisons are far fetched if you ask me. JVR is a much more skilled player, and Testwuide is much bigger(weight wise), stronger, and more physical. They are both American, went to college, and are 6'3". That's where the similarities end if you ask me. Testwuide knows how to use his size, JVR doesn't. Rawlings was really the only tryout that stood out to me.
All week the players that impressed me the most were:

1) Testwuide
2) Bobrovsky
3) Marshall
4) Gustafsson
5) Holmstrom

And no, JVR and Testwuide are nothing alike.

Old
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
did JVR piss in your cornflakes BS?
JVR>>>>>>>>>Testwuide.
not even close

Old
07-11-2010, 04:32 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
did JVR piss in your cornflakes BS?
JVR>>>>>>>>>Testwuide.
not even close
JVR is clearly a better player than Testwuide. My point was Testwuide actually uses his body, JVR doesn't. That should come at no surprise because Testwuide is more physically mature, being 2 years older. Their skill sets are miles apart, JVR is a better skater, shooter, and passer. I'm not JVR's biggest fan by any stretch, but he's a better player. I fully agree with Chris that the comparisons between the two really don't hold any water, I was just pointing out the differences between the two that make them quite different.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I think most people on here realize that JVR and Testwuide are two entirely different players. Testwuide plays a more typical power forward type game and JVR plays a real finesse type game. And honestly, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't understand that rationale that one has to be a physical grinding player when you're 6'3. I don't think being a finesse player at that size is anything bad. You can use your reach to your advantage and can poke check and stick handle around people more effectively at that size.

I'm liking what I'm reading about Testwuide though. I'm really starting to think he's going to get a legitimate shot at cracking the lineup and that he's going to be ok. Let's just hope he doesn't get star struck at the main camp.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Cleary84

Can we do some justice to JVR by saying that we've seen him play an entire NHL season and we've seen Testwuide play a few O&B scrimmage games?

I'm ecstatic to hear that Testwuide is using his body well but I'm also optimistically hoping that JVR finally adapts fully to the NHL game and becomes a physical force this coming season.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Orange Team Lines

Wellwood-Ginand-Hanson
Rowe-Holmstrom-Testwuide
Ranford-Flynn-Gal

Gustafsson-Lauridsen
Blidstrand-Banwell
Hostetter

Riopel
Phillips

Black Team Lines

McGinn-Pither-Harper
Sheen-Mountain-Labrecque
Rinaldo-Chaput-Dowling

Bourdon-Beattie
Marshall-Dudas
Luukko-Hill

Morrison
Rawlings

They played 2 25 minute periods, running clock. Black team won 4-2, when I got there the score was 1-1. The other goals were scored by Kevin Marshall on a pinch from the point, Andrew Rowe on a wrist shot from the slot, either Chaput or McGinn with a scramble in front of the net and it was down the other end, I couldn't tell which one it was. Then an ENG was scored by Everett Sheen. Here are some guys that stood out to me:

Testwuide-Might have been the best player on the ice. He always seemed to be around the puck and he worked well down low in the corners, always forechecking. The Rowe-Holmstrom-Testwuide line for the Orange team was by far its most effective. They did a good job pinning the other teams in their offensive zone.
Marshall-looked much better this time than I thought he did last prospect camp. He took the body more and had a couple of nice hits. He also had a goal.
Rinaldo-he destroyed Holmstrom with a nice but somewhat questionable hit. Easily the best hit of the game. He went on to fight Holmstrom a shift or two later. I would definitely give the decision to Rinaldo in that fight, he got a couple in early and after that it wasn't really a fight. Say whatever you want about him, I bet you that he will be a Flyer one day.
Wellwood-had good speed and made some good passes. He had a penalty shot and made a decent move but Rawlings read it all the way and slid the pad over and Wellwood shot it right into his pad.
Lauridsen-he's huge. For being that big, I didn't think his skating was all that bad. He does look a little bit awkward, but that's to be expected. He's a project, but I think he's definitely making progress.
Hanson-he played well. He has good speed and was close on a couple different chances and had a penalty shot(penalties are penalty shots) that he shot high.
Bourdon-I thought that Bourdon looked good, he made some nice outlet passes and wasn't afraid to skate the puck. I think the issues with his skating are being overblown, he looked fine to me.
Gustafsson-he is tiny. I didn't see a whole lot of him because he was down the other end most of the time, but seems to be a good skater that made some nice outlet passes.
Luukko-he looked a little bit tentative if you ask me. He looked like as soon as he got the puck he wanted to get rid of it and made a couple turnovers but none that caused goals. That's to be expected, he's an 18 year old that's used to playing against high schoolers, not guys like this.
Morrison-played the first period, and let up one goal. He wasn't really tested all that much, but made the saves when he had to. Same thing with Riopel
Rawlings-of all the tryout guys, he looked the best out of everybody. The black team took at least 4 or 5 penalties, and he didn't let up any penalty shot goals. He's got really good size and covered the bottom of the net very well.
Phillips-looked pretty mediocre to me. Let up 2 goals, and both probably could have been saved.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed by anybody. Everyone kind of blended together and nobody stood out all that much, but that's to be expected because we have no blue chip prospects. The Testwuide & JVR comparisons are far fetched if you ask me. JVR is a much more skilled player, and Testwuide is much bigger(weight wise), stronger, and more physical. They are both American, went to college, and are 6'3". That's where the similarities end if you ask me. Testwuide knows how to use his size, JVR doesn't. Rawlings was really the only tryout that stood out to me.
Thanks for the report. Testwuide and Marshall are two that I have my eye on. TW has a shot at the big club if he plays his cards right. Keven is what a year away?

Old
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He was the fastest 2 mile on the team last season. But he was really out of shape in the playoffs. Two broken feet at the end of a grueling season... that sucks. He didn't choke in the playoffs. He was just that hurt and that out of shape. Hindsight is 20/20 but the coaches should not have let him play.

He'll come back really strong this upcoming season.
I could have sworn Coburn was far and away the player with most running endurance the last couple seasons at those races?

Oh well, Carter works too.

Old
07-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post
Can we do some justice to JVR by saying that we've seen him play an entire NHL season and we've seen Testwuide play a few O&B scrimmage games?

I'm ecstatic to hear that Testwuide is using his body well but I'm also optimistically hoping that JVR finally adapts fully to the NHL game and becomes a physical force this coming season.
I hope JVR stayed in the gym all summer and worked out because he can be a monster if he applies a more physical game to his repertoire and he needed more strength to do that.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I hope JVR stayed in the gym all summer and worked out because he can be a monster if he applies a more physical game to his repertoire and he needed more strength to do that.
more importantly, i hope he is eating beastly quantities of food to match a beastly gym effort. it would be nearly impossible for a youngin' like him or giroux to get fat while training hard. it would be much easier for them to not eat enough and burn out.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:19 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Didnt Bob play in net today? I read on BSH that Bob played in net, and played VERY well.

Heres the excerpt:

Quote:
Sergei Bobrovsky (G, Novokuznetsk) was the star of the game as he made several key saves. He let in a Dudas goal that might have deflected, but pinged off the crossbar through traffic. Tough to fault him on that. He looked a little shaky early, but he changed his blocker and glove from practice to the scrimmage. At some point, he has to feel comfortable in his equipment.

He stopped two penalty shots in overtime, then didn't allow a goal on five shootout attempts. He stopped Pither, then made a nice stop on Kyle Mountain (C, New Hampshire, tryout) in OT. In the shootout, he stopped Bourdon, Dowling, Chaput, Rinaldo, and McGinn. Only Chaput put the puck wide.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:39 PM
jb**

Testicles= This years Pat Maroon, as far as the hype machine goes. He will be this years darling.

Old
07-11-2010, 09:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Testicles= This years Pat Maroon, as far as the hype machine goes. He will be this years darling.
Huh? What hype?

Old
07-11-2010, 10:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

http://www.philly.com/philly/video/B...474851001.html

Meet Gustafsson.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:14 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
All week the players that impressed me the most were:

1) Testwuide
2) Bobrovsky
3) Marshall
4) Gustafsson
5) Holmstrom

And no, JVR and Testwuide are nothing alike.
Were you there all week Chris? If so what were your first impressions of the new draft picks.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Were you there all week Chris? If so what were your first impressions of the new draft picks.
I wasn't there everyday, but I got to a few days and read accounts of other things. HF is going through a cleaning, and I'm one of the lead members. It's going to be a busy summer, but I'm trying to clear time for the entire Rookie Camp.

Anyway, I really wasn't that interested in our newer prospects. We won't have a good bearing on them from this camp anyway. I was focusing more on our signed free-agents. I noted that Luukko looked really nervous and almost out of place because of this. Even so, he's not the first to go through that at these camps.

Blidstrand was better than I expected. Chaput didn't impress me at all. Most of the newer guys were pretty quiet. It felt as if they were there just to experience it and get used to it as opposed to actually learning anything.

Biggest disappoint of the camp was clearly Pither. I was hoping he'd show some signs that he was indeed trying to mold himself into a more dynamic player. He has the talent, but scoresheet moochers don't make good NHLers. He's got the talent to be a real weapon. He needs to take over things.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I wasn't there everyday, but I got to a few days and read accounts of other things. HF is going through a cleaning, and I'm one of the lead members. It's going to be a busy summer, but I'm trying to clear time for the entire Rookie Camp.

Anyway, I really wasn't that interested in our newer prospects. We won't have a good bearing on them from this camp anyway. I was focusing more on our signed free-agents. I noted that Luukko looked really nervous and almost out of place because of this. Even so, he's not the first to go through that at these camps.

Blidstrand was better than I expected. Chaput didn't impress me at all. Most of the newer guys were pretty quiet. It felt as if they were there just to experience it and get used to it as opposed to actually learning anything.

Biggest disappoint of the camp was clearly Pither. I was hoping he'd show some signs that he was indeed trying to mold himself into a more dynamic player. He has the talent, but scoresheet moochers don't make good NHLers. He's got the talent to be a real weapon. He needs to take over things.
Hmmm really? From alot of the things I was reading (the philly.com guy and BSH, Im pretty sure, both would agree), most people praised the guy for his playmaking skills and finishing and said he didnt have a bad camp.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hmmm really? From alot of the things I was reading (the philly.com guy and BSH, Im pretty sure, both would agree), most people praised the guy for his playmaking skills and finishing and said he didnt have a bad camp.
It's not that he was bad, I just wanted to see more from him. He has the talent to be a real NHL monster offensive threat.

Maybe it's because I had a little higher hopes for him. I really wanted to see if he could come in and absolutely "wow" people. Know what I mean?

Hopefully I'll get to see more from him. He's guaranteed to get some serious Adirondack time this season.

EDIT: Basically I wanted him to give me an excuse to rank him higher. In my opinion, he didn't do that.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:49 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'll pitch in that I thought Pither was one of the better players there with the McGinn-Pither-Harper line being one of the most talented put together. That being said, it wasn't like he was running the entire game and going through the entire team to score. He looked slightly above average, but not amazing.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:54 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

A lot of the new kids are pretty young too I suppose. From the bits I've read it sounded like McGinn was slow on take off and didn't impress very much. I would have expected more from him since he is older than the other new picks. Chaput and Ranford are both 18 (I think) so I wouldn't be surprised to see them not excel against the college grads.

I heard Holmstroms name quite a few times in a positive light so thats a bit of a pleasant surprise.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Kaktus*

Fans think Testwuide - 23 years old (that averaged a goal every 2.9 games in college) is going to make a splash in the NHL?

I haven't seen him play yet so I do not know.

Old
07-12-2010, 09:50 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
It's not that he was bad, I just wanted to see more from him. He has the talent to be a real NHL monster offensive threat.

Maybe it's because I had a little higher hopes for him. I really wanted to see if he could come in and absolutely "wow" people. Know what I mean?

Hopefully I'll get to see more from him. He's guaranteed to get some serious Adirondack time this season.

EDIT: Basically I wanted him to give me an excuse to rank him higher. In my opinion, he didn't do that.
Chris, I think you're asking a bit much from an undrafted free agent signing. If he were indeed a monster offensive player, some team would have taken a chance on him in the 6th/7th round at least. I hope Pither becomes an NHL regular, and I like his game, but I'm not putting unrealistic expectations on him.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Bodrov went back to Russia

Old
07-12-2010, 10:47 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Bodrov went back to Russia
Really? that is clearly disappointing. you can probably remove him from any future with the orginization.

Old
07-12-2010, 10:49 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Huh? What hype?
I will play along and assume your kidding. All through the summer and into camp he was hyped up by Shooter (as eh should but it was all lip service), the fans on these boards on how he will make the team or he has a great shot to make it, will be an early call up and the like.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I will play along and assume your kidding. All through the summer and into camp he was hyped up by Shooter (as eh should but it was all lip service), the fans on these boards on how he will make the team or he has a great shot to make it, will be an early call up and the like.
No not at all. There might have been 1 or 2 people who thought he would make the team but thats not really considered hype. I guess most of his "hype" comes from the scouts who watched him in college and said he was the most NHL ready out of all the college free agents, not due to his skill, but because of the way he uses his body. There are alot of big bodied players that dont know how to use their bodies at all. Teswuide does. That being said, do I think he will start the season off on the NHL? No. I can easily bet money though that he will be a call up.

Closed Thread