HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Spain vs Netherlands

Old
07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Pretty incredible that it started with a Swiss win against Spain....and then this. It's never over.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For somebody that "green" as far as soccer is concerned, how's the EPL any different? Less diving?
Much less.

A lot more scrappy players.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Man. I hate Iniesta so much.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

These guys should be ashamed of themselves, grown men falling to the ground "in pain" like they are 3 year old girls.

Pathetic.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Much less.

A lot more scrappy players.
Thanks. I'll try to watch it more this year now that RDS is having it.

Still, I'm with you a little as far as the rest. FIFA is really hard to understand. Why wouldn't you want to penalized the obvious diving? How the hell are you distributing yellow cards like they are candies when you get 2, and you don't play the next freakin one? I mean, NHL is way too permissive, but that's just stupid. Especially when the yellow card is always given because the guy down looks like he's dying. Why wouldn't you start distributing the cards to the divers? Who are totally laughing at you when doing it?

I mean it's just laughable to see the FIFA president saying that they won't allow the replays 'cause it will kill the flow of the game....what? How about 20 dives a game and 20 near-death experiences? How's that for the flow of the game?

Old
07-11-2010, 04:08 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ellerection View Post
These guys should be ashamed of themselves, grown men falling to the ground "in pain" like they are 3 year old girls.

Pathetic.
Italy did it in 2006 and they won. Now Spain. The tactic has proven once again to be effective.

Nice guys finish last.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Gil Gunderson

I'd be going ******* if I was Dutch. Wow, what a ****** finish.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Italy did it in 2006 and they won. Now Spain. The tactic has proven once again to be effective.

Nice guys finish last.
Every teams does it,people notice every 4 years cause that's the only time they watch.Soccer in Europe is played like this everyday,not that I agree with it but it's the truth,every single country takes advantage of this diving crap

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

I can't believe this is the most popular sport in the world.

People keep saying how it's more than 0-0 ties and divers, but that's all I saw today. A bunch of fakers falling down as if they have been shot when somedy is near them. Barely any scoring chances, saves, etc.

And I don't blame Spain for diving it, the the ref keeps handing out yellow cards and everybody seems to be fine with the way the sport works.

Still makes for a hooribly boring, frustrating sport to watch.

La Grosse Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Nice guys finish last.
The fact that it's been succesful and that the sanctioning bodies of Football/Soccer have done absolutely nothing about it speaks volumes. I thought the NHL's old boys club mentality of "if it isn't broke don't fix it" was terrible.

It's really hard to admire what's actually happening on the field when you have 20/30 year old men fall to the ground because a hand touched their shoulder and then pretend like they hurt their ankle.... And the officials buying every minute of it.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Aarex

Frustrating, the biggest diver gets the goal

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Never bet against the Octopus.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:20 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Every teams does it,people notice every 4 years cause that's the only time they watch.Soccer in Europe is played like this everyday,not that I agree with it but it's the truth,every single country takes advantage of this diving crap
Yes but some are notorious to push it a step too far.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

LMAO Algerian flag behind the Spanish team

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
I can't believe this is the most popular sport in the world.
I've always thought that.. it's fun to play but to watch? i'd rather do.. anything else. From what i read online it seems like the ref stole the show. Imagine how we feel when the NHL refs blow it, now imagine the whole world watching it when they do.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
gusfring

Quote:

Nice guys finish last.
Really? They didn't win the semi or final like this...

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So...

Howard Webb is the Chris Lee of soccer?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:26 PM
linp

My favorite team is Barcelona. Happy to see Spain won. As a team, Spain is better. Robben could have scored. Puyol could have a red card when he pulled Robben with his hand. People said Robben dives. If he dives like Iniesta, Spain would be playing 10 men much earlier.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
So...

Howard Webb is the Chris Lee of soccer?
It would appear that way.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Roke

I'm a big soccer fan. When I don't have a rooting interest, it's my favorite sport to watch because there's a lot more flow to it and less stoppages, and you know that a regular-time match will be over in just under 2 hours. No commercial breaks during play is a huge incentive in my watching the match.

That said, dreadful match, and an example of why physical football sucks. So many stoppages because of fouls, and when you have that many stoppages is just opens up the opportunity to dive to get even more freekicks. The referee didn't help things, and his not giving a red card to De Jong for the kick to the chest was his biggest miss of the match.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
My favorite team is Barcelona. Happy to see Spain won. As a team, Spain is better. Robben could have scored. Puyol could have a red card when he pulled Robben with his hand. People said Robben dives. If he dives like Iniesta, Spain would be playing 10 men much earlier.
Thats just what i was thinking. Of all times to fall, Robben didn't. Puyol would have had his second yellow there if Robben just falls. Crazy how the game basically comes down to who dove better. Ugh.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:32 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks. I'll try to watch it more this year now that RDS is having it.

Still, I'm with you a little as far as the rest. FIFA is really hard to understand. Why wouldn't you want to penalized the obvious diving? How the hell are you distributing yellow cards like they are candies when you get 2, and you don't play the next freakin one? I mean, NHL is way too permissive, but that's just stupid. Especially when the yellow card is always given because the guy down looks like he's dying. Why wouldn't you start distributing the cards to the divers? Who are totally laughing at you when doing it?

I mean it's just laughable to see the FIFA president saying that they won't allow the replays 'cause it will kill the flow of the game....what? How about 20 dives a game and 20 near-death experiences? How's that for the flow of the game?
EPL is the toughest league in the world. A lot of world class players like Forlan have tried and miserably failed in the EPL. It is a fast paced game where the refs don't call every little foul. The other leagues might have better teams at the top now (Barcelona - Real Madrid - Inter Milan - Bayer Munich, etc..) but top to bottom, I would take the EPL over the other leagues.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Megaforce

The Dutch were lucky not to be playing with 10 men after the karate kid manoevre in the first half.

On the Ineista red card penalty against the Dutch: the Dutch defender hit the Ineista's back foot with his hand.

I thought the reffing was good.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
EPL is the toughest league in the world. A lot of world class players like Forlan have tried and miserably failed in the EPL. It is a fast paced game where the refs don't call every little foul. The other leagues might have better teams at the top now (Barcelona - Real Madrid - Inter Milan - Bayer Munich, etc..) but top to bottom, I would take the EPL over the other leagues.
I did watch la Ligue 1 de France on TV5 a few times last year and didn't particularly liked it as far as the caliber of the play. Again though, don't ask me who it was, possible that I caught a game between 2 bottom feeders....What stuck me the most was how little impartial the commentators were. I mean if Houde and Brunet would have been like they were, they'd be laughed at so hard.

As far as caliber and all, how's France compared to others? If you have to do a ranking of the most important leagues, what would it be? Not putting you on the spot here, don't know if you follow every leagues out there, but if anybody can answer, would be great.