HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk to the Heat? (All Kovalchuk talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2010, 07:34 AM
xxxZENxxx

vCash: 500
Math 101...

The reason Sather is probably involved in the possible negotiations is due to the lower cap hit being thrown around. Basically, it had been mentioned by Brooks on Twitter that the Devils had offered a very long deal (17 years) that would pay Kovy 10 million per for the next (let's say) 10 years and then he would take a HUGE pay decrease for the remaining (let's say) 7 years. The resulting cap hit would then only be in the 6-7.5 million range per year... which is quite doable for not only LA and NJ, but possibly other teams (i.e. the Rangers). In reality, it is basically a contract scam that should be outlawed by the league, because Kovy will be retired for much of the later part of that contract and the cap hit will come off whomever's books who sign him. BUT, it is completely 100% legal at this point... and that is probably why Sather is involed in negotiations, because now he actually might be able to fit him in if Redden and his 6.5 million cap hit is dumped in Hartford. Obviously Staal will take up the remaining cap space that we have now (approx 4.5 million). Don't be surprised if Sather deals more salary to make it happen either... although I still think it is quite a longshot. Just realize that it is possible.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:35 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Math 101...

The reason Sather is probably involved in the possible negotiations is due to the lower cap hit being thrown around. Basically, it had been mentioned by Brooks on Twitter that the Devils had offered a very long deal (17 years) that would pay Kovy 10 million per for the next (let's say) 10 years and then he would take a HUGE pay decrease for the remaining (let's say) 7 years. The resulting cap hit would then only be in the 6-7.5 million range per year... which is quite doable for not only LA and NJ, but possibly other teams (i.e. the Rangers). In reality, it is basically a contract scam that should be outlawed by the league, because Kovy will be retired for much of the later part of that contract and the cap hit will come off whomever's books who sign him. BUT, it is completely 100% legal at this point... and that is probably why Sather is involed in negotiations, because now he actually might be able to fit him in if Redden and his 6.5 million cap hit is dumped in Hartford. Obviously Staal will take up the remaining cap space that we have now (approx 4.5 million). Don't be surprised if Sather deals more salary to make it happen either... although I still think it is quite a longshot. Just realize that it is possible.
Reading comp 101 ......

Rangers post clearly detailed that based on current info KOVY DOESN'T WANT A CAP FRIENDLY DEAL. he wants 2 rival Ovy's 9.5mil hit. It's a pride thing & if he wants that type of cap hit then it's not realistically possible.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Blueblood 2

We need the goals, not the ego. Brooksie is predominantly anti-Torts and not pro-Ranger. He suspects Kovy-Torts is a match made well south of Heaven. The Truth!

Old
07-11-2010, 09:13 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Reading comp 101 ......

Rangers post clearly detailed that based on current info KOVY DOESN'T WANT A CAP FRIENDLY DEAL. he wants 2 rival Ovy's 9.5mil hit. It's a pride thing & if he wants that type of cap hit then it's not realistically possible.

Why that might be true, he isn't going to get that from anyone but the KHL. He will have to lower his demands.

Old
07-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

You know what, if this guy is being such a ***** over his contract I don't want him anyway. He's a mercenary. He doesn't give a **** about team or winning, all he cares about is his contract. If he did he would've taken the 8.5 the Devils offered.

Edit: did he not take Isles offer because he doesn't want to play for a bad team or was that 10m for 10 yrs report bogus?

Last edited by Stugots: 07-11-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old
07-11-2010, 09:46 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
You know what, if this guy is being such a ***** over his contract I don't want him anyway. He's a mercenary. He doesn't give a **** about team or winning, all he cares about is his contract. If he did he would've taken the 8.5 the Devils offered.

Edit: did he not take Isles offer because he doesn't want to play for a bad team or was that 10m for 10 yrs report bogus?
It was reported that no actual offer was made so it seems that was never truly on the table

Old
07-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

All these reports are speculative and hype. Kovalchuk and Grossman have said very little, and nada about $$$

All they said was he's narrowed down his teams.

07-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....emid=4#content

Quote:
LOS ANGELES TIMES/NEW YORK POST: reported on the current status of Ilya Kovalchuk's free agent saga, noting the rumored 17-year, $100 million offer from the New Jersey Devils, who remain the leading NHL candidate to sign him. The Times Helene Elliott suggests the trade floodgates could open once Kovalchuk is finally signed, while the Post's Mark Everson suggests there are "unspecified and silent teams still in the chase".

Old
07-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

My guesses are either the Rangers, Blues, or Panthers.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:17 AM
AJRanger

The Blues said they were out a while back, or that they were never intending to be in. Whether that's believable or not I don't know.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:21 AM
UAGoalieGuy

After the Rangers sign Staal to his extention, the Rangers have no cap space left really. They would have to move, not wait to camp and demote, Redden as well as find a taker for Brashear. That has absolutly no chance of happening.

Trading Roszival as a salary dump makes zero sense. This team's backend would be God awful. You can't have a D with possibly two second year players and two rookies.

Like i've said before, I wish the Rangers could get Kovalchuk, but there is as close to zero percent chance of it actually happening.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Oh, I didn`t know that. Thanks.

When a 35 year or older player is sent down, his salary still counts against the cap? If Brasher signed his contract when he was 33, then it wouldn`t count?
Players 35 or older when they signed a mutli-year contract. After the first season,the remaining years count against the cap. 35+ contract.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
After the Rangers sign Staal to his extention, the Rangers have no cap space left really. They would have to move, not wait to camp and demote, Redden as well as find a taker for Brashear. That has absolutly no chance of happening.

Trading Roszival as a salary dump makes zero sense. This team's backend would be God awful. You can't have a D with possibly two second year players and two rookies.

Like i've said before, I wish the Rangers could get Kovalchuk, but there is as close to zero percent chance of it actually happening.
Trade Brashear and a 2nd to a team like the islanders for nothing, a 5th or something.

Demote Redden to Hartford.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:32 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Trade Brashear and a 2nd to a team like the islanders for nothing, a 5th or something.

Still will not work with the summer cap, unless Kovalchuk takes less then $8 million per year, which he more then likely will not. Rangers cannot demote Redden until the end of training camp. Unless Kovalchuk wants to wait until training camp to sign, it's not going to happen.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post

I just think there's plenty of other moves teams trying to reach the cap floor would rather make then obtain Brashear. Especially the Islanders, our rivals, who most likely won't want to aid our cap situation and increase our likelihood of acquiring Kovalchuk.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:

At this point, I don't think it's insane to consider that Kovalchuk may still not have not picked until training camp is over and Redden is in Hartford!

Old
07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:

Not that I advocate it, but say the Rangers sign Staal at around 4.5 mil per, eating up the rest of their cap space. I'm sure they could trade Brashear and 1 of their 2nds for a 3rd round pick to a team like Colorado or St. Louis. That plus the 10% summertime overage allowance would give them about 8 mil or so to offer to Kovalchuk. Sending Redden down in September gets them back under the cap with around 500k in space and the most numerically full roster (7 d-men, extra forward) that the Rangers have had in years.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

With bonus cushion

Quote:
AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
* Marc Staal ($4.500m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)
Steve Eminger ($1.125m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP: $59.4m; PAYROLL: $62.922m; BONUSES: $2.587m; CAP ROOM: $-0.934m
No bonus cushion

Quote:
AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m)
Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m)
Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m)
Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / Brandon Prust ($0.800m)
Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
* Marc Staal ($4.500m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Matt Gilroy ($1.750m) / Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m)
Steve Eminger ($1.125m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(no bonus cushion is used in these calculations)
ROSTER: 23; CAP: $59.4m; PAYROLL: $62.922m; CAP ROOM: $-3.522m
The Rangers gave Prospal a games played bonus similar to what they gave Shanahan. The Rangers gave Shanny $2.5 million in salary plus a $2 million bonus for playing 10 games. $800,000 in playoff bonuses. $200,000 for each round the Rangers won with Shanny playing X amount of games. $4.7 million was his cap hit and the Rangers used the 2007-08 cap to carry most if not all of the bonuses. The Rangers played 08-09 $750,000 short due to Jagr's $760,000 buyout after the lockout. The Rangers had to make a decision after the lockout on whether or not to pick up 08-09 team option. They didn't so they took $100,000 cap hits for the next 3 years. However,the remaining $460,000 was accelerated into the 08-09 cap because the players took too long in the summer of 08 trying to decide whether or not to opt out of the CBA. Thus no bonus cushion. $290,000 was from Shanahan. In long winded way/point being,the Rangers do not use the bonus cushion and have the cap hit applied to the following season cap. They always leave room for the bonuses.If the NHLPA decided to not opt out before July 2008,there would have been a bonus cushion for 08-09 and the Rangers would not have taken a $750,000 penalty.

You can play with the numbers and replace players with Grachev at $816,666.Stepan at $820,333.Weise at $700,000.

Redden is being waived. Look at the numbers.

How are they fitting in Larry Brook's latest favorite player?The Rangers had $17-$18 million using the summer cap but have already spent $10 million. Have $7.9 million left. Pay Staal. Left with $4 million.

Become creative?Teams are going to do the Rangers favors.

Old
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
bscharf

offer

I dont understand why we atleast dont make a low ball offer. Every one is saying he wants to be a Ranger and be in NY

He clearly doesnt want to be an islander or a devil so why not offer something like 6.5- 7 and bury redden.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post

The Thrashers offered him 10/10 I think. Why didn`t he take it, if it`s all about the money?

Old
07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
The Thrashers offered him 10/10 I think. Why didn`t he take it, if it`s all about the money?
I still think he's being a *****. He has to realize that if he wants money he had to stay in ATL and if he wants to win he has to take 1.5-2 mil less. The good teams don't have the cap space to sign him at the deal he wants.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:12 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post
I dont understand why we atleast dont make a low ball offer. Every one is saying he wants to be a Ranger and be in NY

He clearly doesnt want to be an islander or a devil so why not offer something like 6.5- 7 and bury redden.
Who, other than Rangers fans on this message board, has stated that he wants to be a Ranger and in New York?

He wants the best deal possible. If it ends up being from New Jersey, he'll be a Devil. It has nothing to do with who he does or doesn't want to play for, the guy wants money. That much is clear.

Quote:
Because him and his agent overplayed the market and assumed they could get more by going UFA. Is that too hard to figure out?

I don't doubt Kovy thought he could get a better winning situation and his money, but now it's clear that's not going to happen. Sorry Ilya.

Old
07-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Nikita4

Sorry for the stupid question, but why does the thread title say "kovalchuk to the Heat?"
(i don't want to read the entire thread lol)

Old
07-11-2010, 11:13 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscharf View Post

Again, because the Rangers cannot fit him under the summer cap. Redden can't be waived until after camp ends. Even at $6.5 $7 million which he will more then likely never take.

Old
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
New thread up....

It's just pain.
Closed Thread