HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne to Toronto, LA or stay?

Old
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheGooners

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Carle makes over $200K more.
Carle had a great season year and he's familiar with Ron Wilson from his time in San Jose.

But that's over 8 million in cap intake for the Leafs. I don't know if Burke would like that. I think he'd be tempted with regards to Coburn, because of his size, but I'm not sure how he views Carle.

07-11-2010, 05:33 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
Carle had a great season year and he's familiar with Ron Wilson from his time in San Jose.

But that's over 8 million in cap intake for the Leafs. I don't know if Burke would like that. I think he'd be tempted with regards to Coburn, because of his size, but I'm not sure how he views Carle.
Dont Carle and Wilson hate each other?

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
There is zero chance of Carle being traded to Toronto until Ron Wilson is gone

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
filek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If he has Riopel over Bobrovsky, then there's an IMMEDIATE red flag thrown up there in my mind.

No offense to him. A good portion of his list looks very good. You just need to realize that he's not the end all, be all. I understand you think he knows more about goalie prospects than me, and admittedly if he spends enough time watching these players and compiling a master list than he probably does.

However, just like when TSN released a team defense rankings a bit ago saying that the Capitals and Penguins had the best two defenses in the NHL, there are supposedly "astute" and "flawless" sources that just make you sit back, take a look around, and drop a huge "wtf."

Some of the players on that board being where they are makes me drop a "wtf." Goldman and his professionalism can think whatever they want.

I'm not perfect. HF isn't perfect. We will try our best, and we will do the research to bring readers the very best and most accurate information we possibly can. Goldman is only human as well.

Honestly, I was hoping to get both Rynnas and Bobrovsky this offseason and let Backlund go. I like Backlund, but having Rynnas back up Bobrovsky in the AHL would be awesome.

I will tell you this though. Rynnas put up poor numbers in the FNL before becoming a "late-bloomer" so to speak. He's also 23 right now coming off two strong years (one was spent in the U-20 in 2007-08, then in 2008-09 he was moved all around so his numbers aren't much of a standpoint, and in 2009-10 he put up great numbers in his first year in the SM-Liiga) and a number of subpar/mediocre years before that.

Bobrovsky is only 21, two years younger, and has been putting up a strong showing in the KHL for 3 years now (since he was 18). He's been performing as well on a worse team in a stronger league than Rynnas. He's been doing it more consistently, and he's younger so he has much more of a developmental curve available to him in NA (the longer a player stays in a non-NA league, the harder it is for him to adjust).

The thing most scouts liked about Rynnas is his size. He was hinted by a lot of the media as the second "Monster" to go to Toronto. That said, he doesn't come without his flaws. Size is pretty much the biggest, if not only reason, he's rated so highly. He comes with some solid talent, but you can't coach size.

Bobrovsky is 3" smaller but is much more athletic. He's a quicker goalie with stronger lateral movement, but again, he gives up a bit in the size department only being 6'1.

Will do.

By the way, your avatar is awesome.
hey Chris,

I see your points all along.

what you should not forget is that you are calling guys by their age, yet what we should really focus on is their year of birth - bobrovsky is 1988 and rynnas is 1987 which doesnt make them too different from each other.

I definitely wouldnt call Rynnas a late bloomer. Out of all people you should know that in Scandinavia young players get the protective umbrella much longer than in other parts of the world.

Until last season, when he was terrific, Rynnas played in juniors and then in the the third division of Finnish hockey with Assat juniors which was none of his fault, but was just part of the development program common to the part of the world (see your Eriksson).

I don't get what you mean by saying 'Rynnas put up poor numbers in the FNL before becoming a "late-bloomer" so to speak.' - as I said until last (terrific) season he never had a chance to play at theSM-liiga level, at which, when given the opportunity last year (when I had the chance to see him live) he thrived.

The whol conclusion of this discussion though, should be that you love your prospect, and we do love ours. And we shouldnt let the media get in between.

cheers mate

filek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
bringthecuphome

Quote:
He shouldn't be. That deal is atrocious for the Flyers.

Gagne = Kaberle basicaly.
Coburn >> Caputi,

I might consider it if you added Sweatt, and it was Carle instead of Coburn.
I would add in Sweatt, but we want Coburn, once he is switched out for Carle, that proposal goes down hill for leaf fans.

bringthecuphome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Flyerfan808

If you were Gagne would you waive your NTC to go to Toronto?

I personally do not have interest in Kaberle.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:12 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

So now that Kovy has gone to the Kings, what does this mean for Gagne?

HELLO QUICK OR BERNIER.

A man can dream.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:13 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Supposedly Kovy to LA is done, as per the twitter of Darren Millard. We'll see. If so, it certainly makes the process of trading Gagne (or whoever) more interesting.
I find it interesting that you would call that scenario (more) interesting.

If the Kings do sign Kovalchuk, that's horrible for the Flyers.

They lose the one major suitor that could have given them a piece or pieces of actual value for Gagne. Los Angeles has prospects and picks it could move.

But if they acquire Kovalchuk, forget it.

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
There is zero chance of Carle being traded to Toronto until Ron Wilson is gone
This is a correct statement.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

HELLO QUICK OR BERNIER.

A man can dream.
I don't know that the Kovy thing is for real a done deal. That just what one person tweeted.

Also if they got Kovy, why would they be willing ot trade for Gagne, and trade a piece that they didn't want to give up before they had Kovalchuk?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE0 View Post
I find it interesting that you would call that scenario (more) interesting.

If the Kings do sign Kovalchuk, that's horrible for the Flyers.

They lose the one major suitor that could have given them a piece or pieces of actual value for Gagne. Los Angeles has prospects and picks it could move.

But if they acquire Kovalchuk, forget it.
Interesting is not the same thing as good.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If they get Kovy, I really can't see how they can absorb Gagne's contract, if we do trade him. With Kovy and Moller included in the contracts for the Kings, and if they tried to add Gagne, right there, a huge chunk of cap used up.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:30 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

HELLO QUICK OR BERNIER.

A man can dream.
Kovy is a King now?

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Kovy is a King now?
He's apparently off to LA to discuss things "face to face."

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:44 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
He's apparently off to LA to discuss things "face to face."
Mortal lock that whoever signs this prima donna regrets it. Played substandard in NJ, and generally has a bad attitude. I doubt he earns his contract, whatever it ends up being.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Gberg

why would Burke trade Caputi? He's a good prospect who he -just- traded for.

Gberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
Mortal lock that whoever signs this prima donna regrets it. Played substandard in NJ, and generally has a bad attitude. I doubt he earns his contract, whatever it ends up being.
He didn't play substandard in NJ. He was a very good player for them.

However, while most NJ fans will praise him and Brodeur as the only players that showed up in the postseason, Kovalchuk trying so hard may have been their downfall.

He tried so hard that it was problematic. He didn't fit into their system, and we all knew that the moment he was traded. He's not a prima donna or your stereotypical Russian "me-first" offense-only forward.

He was trying so hard to win that he tried too hard. He did everything himself and didn't have any trust in his teammates.

I have to think he'll be a better fit in LA, but I don't think even that will necessarily be a perfect blend. He's a model competitor, but he needs a coach who will control him.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:54 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
If you were Gagne would you waive your NTC to go to Toronto?

I personally do not have interest in Kaberle.
He DOES hate the Habs, so maybe.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:19 PM
phillyfanatic

No interest in dealing coburn! I wouldn't trade him straight up for kaberle, let alone include gagne. Brutal deal. Gagne if traded will be for picks and prospects, we need every dollar for Turco, powe, asham, etc

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
He didn't play substandard in NJ. He was a very good player for them.

However, while most NJ fans will praise him and Brodeur as the only players that showed up in the postseason, Kovalchuk trying so hard may have been their downfall.

He tried so hard that it was problematic. He didn't fit into their system, and we all knew that the moment he was traded. He's not a prima donna or your stereotypical Russian "me-first" offense-only forward.

He was trying so hard to win that he tried too hard. He did everything himself and didn't have any trust in his teammates.

I have to think he'll be a better fit in LA, but I don't think even that will necessarily be a perfect blend. He's a model competitor, but he needs a coach who will control him.
He wasn't a good fit with the Devils from the get-go. Having a guy who plays the entire 2 min of a PP and isn't of much use on defence on a team like that was a bad fit.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
I'm not dead bent on giving up Caputi either. He's gonna remain a part of the Leafs. He's a home town kid who was ecstatic when he got traded to Toronto.

I think the reason Coburn was included was due to the salary cap.
Caputi sucks

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:56 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Sorry, but the Leafs will not be trading you Rynnas after we just signed him. If any goalie prospect is coming your way, it sure is not coming from us, and if it is, it'll be Reimer. Burke has said he wants 5 young goalies in the system at a time, we now have 5, if we give one to you, then well you do the math.
I'd be pretty pumped if we traded for Reimer but I doubt it will happen. He has stepped up his development every year and has always with one exception been on horrible teams. The one exception was Sou Car at the end of last year where he set a ECHL record for shutout time and was the MVP of the playoffs as they won the championship. There were games in the WHL where he was outshot 50-20 and won the game. He was the highest player on the Rebels for 3 star selections the last 2 years he was there. He has had winning records on truly abysmal teams ie Reading and and the Rebs. He's a super humble kid and looks gigantic in the net.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
crazyaces*

What the Hell is Philly doing?? Has anyone figured it out yet?

Are the trying to do what Chicago did, screw themselves with the cap??? And yet they keep adding lots of $$$ with nothing going out?

crazyaces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:09 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Kovalchuk to LA now?
LOL.
Holmgren is even more ****ed trying to deal Gagne.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Kovalchuk to LA now?
LOL.
Holmgren is even more ****ed trying to deal Gagne.
Not really, they'll need to make a lot of room for future signings for their other players. So they get another really good LWer in Gags to go for a cup, trade off some guys who would end up being cap casualties and at the end of the year give the Gagne money to the guys who need raises.

They are the 2nd coming of the Blackhawks.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote