HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Spain vs Netherlands

Old
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Roke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post

Newcastle is (was?) top 20 amongst the world's richest clubs and was playing championship soccer this year. They have been an average to below-average team since Shearer retired.
The top 20 turnover were based upon the 08/09 season, when Newcastle was still in the Premier League. Their biggest problem in recent years has been piss-poor ownership, from Freddy Shepard and now Mike Ashley.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Roy Keane is the only player of whom I've owned an Original Shirt. I prayed every saturday/sunday to Roy ... hehehehe

That game in the semifinals of the Champions League 99 vs Juventus in Turin is still the single most amazing performance in club football that I've seen live or on TV.

Here is what Ferguson said about that performance:

"I did not think I could have a higher opinion of any footballer than I already had of the Irishman but he rose even further in my estimation at the Stadio Delle Alpi. The minute he was booked and out of the final, he seemed to redouble his efforts to get the team there. It was the most emphatic display of selflessness I have seen on a football field. Pounding over every blade of grass, competing as if he would rather die of exhaustion than lose, he inspired all around him. I felt it was an honour to be associated with such a player."

I am 100000% sure WhiteSnake would have loved him .. lol
You mean this?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
The top 20 turnover were based upon the 08/09 season, when Newcastle was still in the Premier League. Their biggest problem in recent years has been piss-poor ownership, from Freddy Shepard and now Mike Ashley.
The point is, it's not all about the money.

It's about the players the teams put on the pitch. Now, money helps a lot, but it's not like only a few teams have the money to bring in great talent.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Nidema

Quote:

It's about the players the teams put on the pitch. Now, money helps a lot, but it's not like only a few teams have the money to bring in great talent.
Exactly. Take a look at Real Madrid a couple of years ago when they had Ronaldo, Figo, Beckham, Zidaine, Roberto Carlos and Raul. They didn't win their league iirc.

Just like hockey, it's about the best collection of team players not talents.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:36 PM
SonOfGom

The biggest problem for English players? all heart, no brains.

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Roke

Quote:

Not many teams can spend over £100 million in two straight years, and City certainly don't have the revenue to do so. They were moving in the right direction before the money came along, but they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now without the £200+ million in transfer fees over the past 2 years. I haven't read reports about City's revenues, but I would be surprised the transfer fees weren't 75% or so of revenue.

It's not all about the money, but money does play a big role. Without the moneybags, City would probably be just above mid-table right now.

The better example would be Spurs, as they have spent their money pretty well (and a fair bit of it) but without the huge benefactor owners, and now they find themselves in Champions League qualifying for next season. Villa have been successful at build

Old
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You mean this?

Yes

Highlights don't do it justice though. He was all over the pitch, like the quote says, literally he refused to lose.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Not many teams can spend over £100 million in two straight years, and City certainly don't have the revenue to do so. They were moving in the right direction before the money came along, but they wouldn't be anywhere near where they are now without the £200+ million in transfer fees over the past 2 years. I haven't read reports about City's revenues, but I would be surprised the transfer fees weren't 75% or so of revenue.
Yes, but the way the EPL is ran, all teams start the year with 50+M$ (possibly more, I'm unsure) since they split the TV rights. That's a lot of additional money to spend on players.

Of course, teams like Chelsea, Man U and such top tier revenue teams will stay atop the league, but the other teams can still afford solid players from around the world. Games are a lot tighter between the top and middle in the EPL than la Liga or Serie A matchups.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Roke

Quote:
Yes, but the way the EPL is ran, all teams start the year with 50+M$ (possibly more, I'm unsure) since they split the TV rights. That's a lot of additional money to spend on players.

Of course, teams like Chelsea, Man U and such top tier revenue teams will stay atop the league, but the other teams can still afford solid players from around the world. Games are a lot tighter between the top and middle in the EPL than la Liga or Serie A matchups.
$50 million sounds about right. I can't remember where I was reading (probably the Guardian), but Germany actually has comparable TV rights distribution for the mid-to-lower tier leagues, and is actually better money for the lower teams in the league.

I agree on your 2nd point, especially with La Liga. England isn't quite at Germany's level when it comes to parity, but it's still a competitive league from the top to mid-table.

Old
07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

vCash: 555
ugh at the diver comments. Both teams did it. Every single team does it, get over your selves. The goal was clean too because he was onside when he touched the ball. The better team won, yes robben had 2 breakaway's (what are the odds?) and got denied twice (i was so happy robben is the worst whiner in the whole sports industry), but the difference was Spain capitalized when it was needed most.

Also, I was happy the ref did let the red cards be for a bit, but when a guy kicks another person in the chest you have to wonder for a second why just a yellow? It was intentional because he was facing right at him and it wasn't a upward motion, but a foward one.

Both teams played solid, Ref wasn't bad, Both teams dived, Robben whined, Casillas proved why he is the best in the world at doing what he does, and Iniesta's message was a great one (Dani Jarque always with us, he had a heart attack previous to a 2009 preseason game, he was spains defender.)

Was a decent game, Was better since i went to a friends to watch all 120+ mins of it.

Also i mainly wanted Nederlands to lose because of Robben whining/diving. And I do agree that diving needs to be something that needs to be enforced more. But both teams did it equally, and the ref just either said play on/stopped it with no card which i was fine with as it was consistent with both teams.

Also LOL at Robben freaking on the ref because he missed his 2nd breakaway, every defender somewhat holds you, you got by but still missed it's your fault get over it and take it like a man.

So just leave it at a good game, that was reffed equally and the team who stopped 2 breakaway's and capitalized on a goal when it mattered, won.

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Captain Saku

Oh man oh man, I remember the Juventus vs Man Utd game as well as Juventus vs Real Madrid game like they were played yesterday. Indeed Nedved had a brilliant game.

Serie A in my opinion was the best league in the world 10 years ago, with up to 7 teams that could compete to win the title:

Juventus
Internazionale
AC Milan
Lazio
Roma
Fiorentina
Parma

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It was a pretty good game. I called a 1-0 Spain victory... now if only I had bet on it

There were alot of twists and turns. Robben was terrific for the Dutch again, but at the end of the day, Spain was just more deeper and the better team came on top.. its as simple as that.

The Dutch didnt have much control of the play but they certainly could have won this match with their counterattack chances. Robben is going to have nightmares especially.

I'm a big fan of beautiful football and nobody seems to pull it of better than Spain these days. Its a pleasure to watch and I'm happy that this style of play was rewarded a world cup.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Which begs the question: Why does the English national side perform so poorly? How good would the EPL be with no imports?

That appears to be a problem when international play comes a knockin'.
No doubt, the EPL relies heavily on foreign imports. England is a good national side, but I am always at a loss for words when I hear them considered as legitimate contenders for the world cup.

When you watch Spain play tactically, its similar to watching Barcelona, and considering the large Barcelona contingent on the national side, Spain should take less time to come together as a team, which is a big advantage over a side like England.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:02 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
No doubt, the EPL relies heavily on foreign imports. England is a good national side, but I am always at a loss for words when I hear them considered as legitimate contenders for the world cup.

When you watch Spain play tactically, its similar to watching Barcelona, and considering the large Barcelona contingent on the national side, Spain should take less time to come together as a team, which is a big advantage over a side like England.
That is indeed Spain's huge advantage. Xavi and Iniesta play together all year long, as do Puyol and Pique. The backbone of the team down the middle knows each other extremely well.

I just read something today that amazed me. Out of the 117 EPL players who entered this world cup, only 6 made it to the semifinals. Clearly the fact that the EPL has no winter break, the fact that they have a more loaded schedule than the other leagues (FA CUP, Carling CUP, Champions League, League play, etc..) + the fact that it is a far more physical and competitive league is hurting the players who play in the EPL.

Look at how many EPL stars entered this tournament injured, Drobga, Essien, Torres just to name a couple.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:09 PM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

Paraguay 2010 World Champs

There, I said it

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
That is indeed Spain's huge advantage. Xavi and Iniesta play together all year long, as do Puyol and Pique. The backbone of the team down the middle knows each other extremely well.

I just read something today that amazed me. Out of the 117 EPL players who entered this world cup, only 6 made it to the semifinals. Clearly the fact that the EPL has no winter break, the fact that they have a more loaded schedule than the other leagues (FA CUP, Carling CUP, Champions League, League play, etc..) + the fact that it is a far more physical and competitive league is hurting the players who play in the EPL.

Look at how many EPL stars entered this tournament injured, Drobga, Essien, Torres just to name a couple.
Its a neat fact.

I just want to make sure that I dont come off as a person taking credit away from Spain though. Spain plays a highly skilled brand of football and imo are the best team that Europe has to offer on paper as well as on the field.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGom View Post
The biggest problem for English players? all heart, no brains.
That and square feet. They don't have a midfielder with the first touch and passing ability of Xavi or Andres Iniesta.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
That and square feet. They don't have a midfielder with the first touch and passing ability of Xavi or Andres Iniesta.
Yup, their two best are Gerrard and Lampard who are more shoot-first kind of guys. Aaron Lennon and Wright-Phillips are just fast.

Doesn't help that your only good striker is Rooney, there is not much depth up front.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
HomaridII

There is a kind of a spanish tradition, the first person to interview Casillas after every game is actually his girlfriend, who is a sports reporter. They have always been very professional about it, after the loss to Switzerland she actually asked him right off the bat "How could you as a team have played so poorly" etc..

This is today's post game interview .. wait until about the 40 second mark .. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GxlTC73IfU

Old
07-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Nedved

people complain about the diving but the dutch did it to themselves. they had a ton of terrible tackles to start the game and that influenced the refs decisions on challenges. spain deserved to win and even with the world cup win, they only played 1 great game, against germany.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Slick Nick

Football won against anti-football... people complain?

NJ Devils forum------>

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:24 AM
Max Levine

WC thread was closed quickly, lol

I'm quite disappointed with the way the Dutch have played today. Van Marwijk said a couple days ago that they weren't afraid; well, he lied. So many fouls, numerous bad passes, kicking the ball away; the Netherlands didn't make it a beautiful game at all. The whole match should have been played the way they did in extra time. Obviously, everyone was too tired to tackle.

Poor Webb. It was obvious he didn't want to be involved in the result which surely explains his inconsistency: yellow cards where there shouldn't have been, red card on De Jong missed, other obvious fouls that would have deserved a yellow. But again, the anti-play made his job difficult.

Van Marwijk wasn't as lucky as Del Bosque with his substitutions. While Navas and Fabregas were very efficient, Elia wasn't a factor and Van Der Vaart found himself right in the middle of the play that lead to the goal.

I understand Mathijsen's frustration for the free kick deflected that should have been a corner kick but that play didn't lead to the goal. In the end, the best team won. The Dutch had their chances. The Spaniards had as many if not more. I only wish the show would have been much better.

Congrats to Spain! They have certainly shown why they were the European Champions and why they were rated #1.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:00 AM

posting live from Amsterdam, just waking up the day after the game...it was NUTS, i was in a sea of orange, so many people...

I drank waaaayyyy too much though, rough night and even rougher morning lol

we got to watch the game on a huge screen in the middle of Amsterdam at Museumplein, the atmosphere was great and the dutch people were very nice even with a few spain supporters.

oh well...would of been nice to be here while they won, but Spain are a great team and deserved the win.

I'll enjoy the rest of my vacation here

later

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
That was the worst World Cup final in history.......
lethargic and boring!

Couldn't have had two worst teams playing on that day! Both teams played well below expectation and talent level.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
That was the worst World Cup final in history.......
lethargic and boring!

Couldn't have had two worst teams playing on that day! Both teams played well below expectation and talent level.
How much soccer do you actually watch?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote