HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Demitra Wants Rangers (Report: Headed to KHL)

Old
07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
haveandare

vCash: 500
I don't want an older guy potentially taking the spot of a younger player so that we can (maybe) get a few extra points in the standings, still leaving us as not being a serious contender. I see 0 reasons to do this.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
free0717

Id invite him to training camp on a tryout basis. If he has something in the Tank, Id sign him to a one year 1.5 million dollar contract max. A one year stopgap till Stepan is ready. If he is done, he gets no contract.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Closest thing to a full season he's played since 02-03 is 71 games FYI. I'm ambivalent on this matter seeing as how we probably wouldnt be much better or much worse with or without him. The only thing I'm worried about is Anisimov losing ice time because of this.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't want an older guy potentially taking the spot of a younger player so that we can (maybe) get a few extra points in the standings, still leaving us as not being a serious contender. I see 0 reasons to do this.
THANK you. Why is this so hard to understand? Either get meaningful players who can help on the long-term path toward building a contender or play the kids and let 'em sink or swim.

The whole "sign stopgaps" plan is BS - if you're in favor of signing a Pavol Demitra or the like, then you are in favor of doing whatever is necessary to barely sneak into the playoffs... and then lose, and then get a ****** pick.

Rinse, repeat, wait 54 years.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:06 PM
The Thomas J.*

Demetria, Gabs & Prospal, & that my friends is a solid 1st line

Perfect!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
If Brash goes to the KHL then his cap hit goes away with him

Can we trade him with those f***ing spies?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Id invite him to training camp on a tryout basis. If he has something in the Tank, Id sign him to a one year 1.5 million dollar contract max. A one year stopgap till Stepan is ready. If he is done, he gets no contract.
Kinda like Nedved?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'd have been happy to have him 5 years ago. lol

Personally I'd rather let the kids play.
What kids? Grachev scored 28 points in 80 games in the AHL last season. Stepan is coming straight out of college. MZA may literally die if he isn't ready for the physicality of the NHL, lol.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Yeah, he can want to come to the Rangers, but there is no room for him unless he wants to take a deal similar to Prospal. I'd rather him center the 1st line then Christiansen.
We have one spot open in the top 6, ya know, the one everyone insists on penciling MZA into.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:07 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Don't we already have 3 third line centers?
Demitra's a 2nd line wing at this stage in his career sooo not sure what that has to do with anything.

Old
07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Demetria, Gabs & Prospal, & that my friends is a solid 1st line

Perfect!
Looks pretty fragile to me.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM
RangerFan10

I don't think people are very familiar with Pavol Demitra...saying no at the league minimum, saying to have him come to camp on a tryout basis...once Kovalchuk signs the Kariya's, Frolov's, Ponikarovsky's, Stempniak's, etc. are going to sign and teams that still need some help at forward are going to be drooling over a guy like Demitra at a discounted rate just because he couldn't stay healthy last season.

And I say this everytime Demitra comes up, it'd be a mistake to put Demitra on Gaborik's line if we sign him. They were never that great together, except maybe when they played the Rangers

W/MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Demitra-Prospal/Anisimov-MZA
Avery/Drury-Prospal/Anisimov-Callahan
a 4th line of Avery/Drury, Prust, Boyle, Byers, Boogard, Weise on any given night depending on who's playing well and who we're facing.

w/o MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Demitra-Prospal/Anisimov-Callahan
Avery-Prospal/Anisimov-Drury
Byers/Weise-Boyle-Prust
Boogard (I would say he gets 50/60 games next year)

that being said, doesn't really matter if we sign him or don't. All the "kids" that we talk about could use the extra year in hartford and would benefit more from playing together than playing with the big club the entire season IMO

Old
07-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

actually, Demitra would not be the worst thing.

we arent competing anyway. sign him up, and then when we sell, sell, sell at the deadline, our kids will have had more seasoning before they take his spot, and he could net us a 2nd or 3rd rounder (if hes having a good year)

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't think people are very familiar with Pavol Demitra...saying no at the league minimum, saying to have him come to camp on a tryout basis...once Kovalchuk signs the Kariya's, Frolov's, Ponikarovsky's, Stempniak's, etc. are going to sign and teams that still need some help at forward are going to be drooling over a guy like Demitra at a discounted rate just because he couldn't stay healthy last season.

And I say this everytime Demitra comes up, it'd be a mistake to put Demitra on Gaborik's line if we sign him. They were never that great together, except maybe when they played the Rangers

W/MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
a 4th line of Avery/Drury, Prust, Boyle, Byers, Boogard, Weise on any given night depending on who's playing well and who we're facing.

w/o MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Byers/Weise-Boyle-Prust

that being said, doesn't really matter if we sign him or don't. All the "kids" that we talk about could use the extra year in hartford and would benefit more from playing together than playing with the big club the entire season IMO
I agree 100%, especially the bolded.

I don't see a top 6 forward prospect being ready at the start of this season (I think Stepan and Grachev both start in the AHL), which means we need 1 more top 6 forward. We could do MUCH, MUCH worse than Demitra.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post

W/MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik

w/o MZA:
Dubi-Christensen-Gaborik
Byers/Weise-Boyle-Prust

So why does anyone want him? The only possible reason to want Demitra is to do the same exact thing we did this year. "Oh, oh, oh fight for the playoffs 'cause anything can happen!" Uh, no. What can happen is we can either barely miss the POs or barely make the POs and lose - and either way get a **** pick and continue the unending mediocrity.

And I disagree about the kids. Play them - there are 3 possible results:

1) they overachieve and we make the playoffs. Great - it means their development is accelerating, they're as good as we hoped and the future is bright!
2) they struggle, but learn, we miss the playoffs get a great pick and move onwards and upwards next year.
3) they are absolutely overwhelmed, you demote them to HFD and promote whatever career minor leaguers or waiver wire guys (like Christensen) you can get in season, play out the string and, again, get a great pick and move onwards and upwards next year.

All of those are good results IMO.

There is no reason to sign anyone who is not young enough to be part of the future. ESPECIALLY no forwards.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-11-2010 at 08:53 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:02 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
So why does anyone want him? The only possible reason to want Demitra is to do the same exact thing we did this year. "Oh, oh, oh fight for the playoffs 'cause anything can happen!" Uh, no. What can happen is we can either barely miss the POs or barely make the POs and lose - and either way get a **** pick and continue the unending mediocrity.

And I disagree about the kids. Play them - there are 3 possible results:

1) they overachieve and we make the playoffs. Great - it means their development is accelerating, they're as good as we hoped and the future is bright!
2) they struggle, but learn, we miss the playoffs get a great pick and move onwards and upwards next year.
3) they are absolutely overwhelmed, you demote them to HFD and promote whatever career minor leaguers or waiver wire guys (like Christensen) you can get in season, play out the sting and, again, get a great pick and move onwards and upwards next year.

All of those are good results IMO.

There is no reason to sign anyone who is not young enough to be part of the future. ESPECIALLY no forwards.
We'll be in this "mediocore" field next season unless Hank or Gaborik get hurt for an extended period of time. OR if we lose a few guys at once like Callahan, Staal, Dubinsky, etc.

I don't see the harm in making Grachev, MZA, or Stepan force Sather's hand. If they're tearing it up in Hartford then you can move Prospal, Demitra, Christensen, whoever I'm sure. I don't care if these guys have a great camp, anyone can have a great camp. Grachev did last season and completely flopped in the AHL. Unless you're the type of player that has the type of background that makes them good candidates to skip the AHL, they need to show SOMETHING in the minors first. MZA MIGHT fit that profile, but it's questionable. Grachev and Stepan need to show something in Hartford to really deserve a call-up, and then a permanent spot if they show something here.

Old
07-11-2010, 08:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

as long as we can move capt quaalude to 4c and sit or move boyle, i would take pavol demitra on a decent 1 year contract.

he would instantly become one of our most offensively talented forwards. without question.

he would give us a guy who could play with gaborik. or if not, he give us another smart top 6 player who can skate and create.

he would help our pp. alot.

hes had some injury issues recently, but since his shoulder surgery, hes says hes fully healed and he played well the end of the season last year and certainly looked good in the olympics. in fact, he played damn good hockey in the olympics.

again, 1 yr affordable deal and i take him without hesitation.

dubi demitra gaborik
prospal ec mza
avery arty cally

and hope like hell either stepan and/or grachev can make this team outa camp.

thats certainly alot better than what we had.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Let some friggin kid's play for christ sakes. Jesus christ this UFA offseason is a big friggin joke.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I like Demitra but I would stay away after resigning Prospal. If Vinny P left I would be more open to it but since I feel both players are on the same level of play now at thier ages IMO Vinny in the better bargain.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Jed of course I know the difference between an elite level player, and a good one who has been on the decline for awhile. My comment was in regards to the people who have spent the last two weeks devising a plan to fit Kovalchuk onto the roster (I appreciate your efforts it was a good counter point for some of us on the fence to consider). But that we dont have "room" for Demitra without him taking a big cut in pay. I don't want Demitra within 5ft of this team, but I am sure that we could afford a 3m stop gap much easier than an 8m player. Thanks for the history lesson though and stay classy champ.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
AXN

If Zherdev can sign for two mil then so can Demitra. And that is with bonuses.

Prospal Demitra Gaborik
Dubinsky Christensen Callahan
Avery Drury Aasen
Boogaard Anisimov Prust

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Hell no. Just another band-aid on a couple of broken legs.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
BlueHavok

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
If Zherdev can sign for two mil then so can Demitra. And that is with bonuses.

Prospal Demitra Gaborik
Dubinsky Christensen Callahan
Avery Drury Aasen
Boogaard Anisimov Prust
where does boyle factor?

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:31 PM
The Perfect Paradox

**** no. I would rather see Anisimov or Chirst have his time on the first line.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:35 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Umm, we have $4M in cap space and we'll have to be creative to keep Staal... No way we sign this dude.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote