HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joe Thornton Contract Extension: Yay or Nay

View Poll Results: Joe Thornton contract
Contract Extention NOW 67 69.07%
Sign him after the season ends 21 21.65%
Other/Do not sign him after this year 9 9.28%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Every player occasionally disappears, but Thornton consistently chokes, and has gotten a reputation for it. Therefore, the team has the reputation, therefore I'm sure they all lose their fair share of confidence in the playoffs because of the fact that they're not expected by anybody to win.
Ridiculous. So because one player has a choking reputation means that he drags all the other players down with him. Your argument would say to me that everyone else is still just as much the problem as JT because they would be very weak mentally and not pressure players. Thus, they shouldn't be around either.

In reality, that argument is baseless.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:18 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Ridiculous. So because one player has a choking reputation means that he drags all the other players down with him. Your argument would say to me that everyone else is still just as much the problem as JT because they would be very weak mentally and not pressure players. Thus, they shouldn't be around either.

Thornton is the team's most known player and is the face of the team. He also has a massive reputation of choking in the playoffs. What would you think if your team's leader had the reputation of being soft in the playoffs? Wouldn't you feel a little less confident if your top player choked in the playoffs?

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:18 AM
TheProfessor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post

not to put words into jpavs mouth for him but I think that his argument was simply that teams playing the sharks in the playoffs go in confident because they feel that the sharks are a team who will choke/not play to their potential. This confidence causes the opposing team to play better which in turn makes us look worse. The reputation can be largely, though certainly not wholly, attributed to Joe Thornton and so, indirectly, he is hurting his team.

May of over-complicated that so, simply-put, teams gain confidence when playing the sharks because of their attitude/track-record and because their leader is seen as somewhat of a choke.

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post
not to put words into jpavs mouth for him but I think that his argument was simply that teams playing the sharks in the playoffs go in confident because they feel that the sharks are a team who will choke/not play to their potential. This confidence causes the opposing team to play better which in turn makes us look worse. The reputation can be largely, though certainly not wholly, attributed to Joe Thornton and so, indirectly, he is hurting his team.

May of over-complicated that so, simply-put, teams gain confidence when playing the sharks because of their attitude/track-record and because their leader is seen as somewhat of a choke.
I meant more so that we feel less confident, but yes, same basic point.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
Thornton is the team's most known player and is the face of the team. He also has a massive reputation of choking in the playoffs. What would you think if your team's leader had the reputation of being soft in the playoffs? Wouldn't you feel a little less confident if your top player choked in the playoffs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor1 View Post

This argument basically says it's okay for me to fail because the big guy is too. That means bad leadership, bad personal accountability, and humongous individual mental weakness. That means that the players still need to go and not just JT. This is no different than with Nabokov. A team succeeds because all of the parts work together to get the ultimate. Expecting one guy to be there all the time is not only making him shoulder the blame for failures but also takes accountability and ownership away from the other guys.

If there is any player that feels less confident about their own ability to perform because JT is disappointing the team at the time needs to go just as much as JT does. There is no getting around the fact that everyone is accountable for a team failure and not one guy. Your arguments are scapegoating JT, pure and simple.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
TheProfessor1

Well whether we resign him or not, his line needs to change. I would love to see a top line of mcginn - thornton - heatley or couture - thornton - heatley. It would give the young guys a chance plus the extra energy brought by these young players, especially mcginn, could help open the ice around thornton and might help ignite the other two line mates. Obvious drawbacks incude putting pavs and patty on the same line (really the only 2 players in the top 6 with defensive awareness and skill) and splitting up mcginn and couture who have had great chemistry at multiple levels. Still, might be fun to try for 5 games or so.

TheProfessor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:44 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchequer View Post
To further PinkFloyd's point: Thornton does not have the space and time to maneuver like he does in the regular season unless his teammates create that for him. And they haven't. Which makes it really hard to value - much less, see - his contributions in the playoffs.

You gotta roll your lines in the playoffs and against the Av's, there were a couple lines doing the work but it was the second line that reaped the statistical glory.
I think Tmac has to move them around according to matchups. If we keep the same lines, i't's not too tough to defend unless we move guys up and down once in a while to confuse there D structure. CHI has practically figured us out, unless we have more movement on all our lines.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:47 AM
5H4RK5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
he has a bomb of a shot. plays well defensively too (+6 in career with NYI). has solid gvt metric numbers to support that claim. whatever people were saying about ballard, streit does better IMO. hes arguably better than boyle.

captain of the swiss national team, assistant captain on the isles.. produces great numbers on a poor team, even though other teams know hes a threat.
Here comes Getzlaf and Perry charging down the ice. Streit to the rescue.

Kopitar and Brown are licking there chops.

Doan and the entire Phoenix team is cheering us on.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 12:48 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Dw isn't trading one of the leagues only superstar's for peanuts. I hope he resigns him for marleau money.

Graveland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2010, 01:24 AM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
That's retarded...Thornton had a pretty damn good playoff this year...he was GREAT vs Detroit and good vs Chicago...He is also a great player and loves playing here...there is no way we trade him - ********

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
OrrNumber4

Saw an ESPN article where the writer mentions Bruins are discussing an extension with Chara and the Sharks are discussion an extension with Thornton...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Saw an ESPN article where the writer mentions Bruins are discussing an extension with Chara and the Sharks are discussion an extension with Thornton...
We should make a swap.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:32 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
We should make a swap.
I love Joe, but I wouldn't trade Z for him. I would lock up Joe ASAP, but my opinion doesn't matter.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote