HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Brock Trotter & Mathieu Carle - Must clear waivers to be sent down...What happens?

Old
07-11-2010, 09:48 PM
HABitual Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Yeah, Carle and Weber will battle it out for the 7th dman role at the beginning of the year. As much as i prefer Weber's shot, Carle impressed me more last year, I thought he looked pretty steady out there.

Trotter is kind of useless in the bottom 6 because he's not scrappy enough and too small to boot. I find Desharnais more imposing somehow, just because he gets his nose dirtier. With Trotter we're just going to have to hope he clears waivers, but i dont think it will be that big an issue.

With two guys everyone has penciled into the top 2 lines that struggled at the end of the season in Pouliot and Kostitsyn, I don't see the organization taking the risk of losing a goal scorer who could win that spot if one of the two slumps out of the gate.
Since the 4th line lacks toughness anyways, no harm in keeping Trotter there to begin the year, and perhaps he can give some secondary goal support when matched up with other teams' 4th liners.

HABitual Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
With two guys everyone has penciled into the top 2 lines that struggled at the end of the season in Pouliot and Kostitsyn, I don't see the organization taking the risk of losing a goal scorer who could win that spot if one of the two slumps out of the gate.
Since the 4th line lacks toughness anyways, no harm in keeping Trotter there to begin the year, and perhaps he can give some secondary goal support when matched up with other teams' 4th liners.
I guess it's possible you can carry him on the team as an extra forward, but at the end of the day, we're inevitably going to lose some forwards, sacrifice them if you will. We have a glut of good, talented but not great AHL forwards right now. The ones that get older and waiver eligible we're going to either let go or trade (see D'agostini), and pick up younger non-waiver eligible players (see Palushaj). It would be great if we we're allowed 60 not 50 contracts, but such is life. I like Trotter a lot, but unless he has a phenomenal camp, he's going the way of the waiver wire, pure and simple.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Habs13

I don't understand all this Carle vs. Weber talk... asset management says that if you have two decent young defenceman that both have potential to help the team in the near future, like is the case here, and one of the two could potentially be lost to waivers, well that's the guy you give the chance too. Regardless if Weber out plays Carle or as much as it would suck to be Weber, you don't draft and spend years grooming a guy just to say "meh.. whatever". The smart move is to give Carle a shot at being the extra defender and see how he does. Once Markov returns and we have 8 defenders - then you make your move. Trade somebody or waive Carle, whichever. But you give the kid his shot.

Weber will be in the same situation soon enough.

Trotter? As was mentioned, we kept Chipchura, Stewart and D'Agostini up last year for similar reasons.

What about Ben Maxwell? Was he waiver eligable last season? Or did we just keep him up because we reached the maximum number of call-ups possible and by sending him down, wouldn't be able to call up anybody else?

EDIT: A lot of people here don't understand how waivers work, it would seem. Folks! Waivers are in effect at the start of EVERY season - it dosen't matter if the big club has called them up or not.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:19 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

The Habs already have 7 D once Markov is good to go, which we won't know until we get closer to October. But even if he misses some time, he should be back a few weeks into the season, and once he's back we are set on D. So that means something will have to be done with Carle.

Personally I think he would clear waivers because most NHL teams are set by October, so they would be picking up someone that has never played more then 64 games as a pro and is coming off a season with two major injuries and only played in 31 games in the AHL, plus he has only 3 games of NHL experience. I understand that he has potential and it only takes one team to really like him or if one team has an early injury, guess we'll see what happens.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:26 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Trotter: AHL until needed to cover for injured players and that would need to be a lot of injuries.
Carle: 6th or 7th Dman with the team all year long.

Nothing against Trotter, but Dmen just have more chances to make it next season and we have quite a few forwards ahead of him. Can't say the same about Carle.
Brière once cleared waivers...

you really worried? don't lose sleep on that man.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:08 AM
habsrock76

Carle is made of glass and wont make it out of training camp healthy.

Look at his games played http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=74571

He's a write off prospect in my books.

You might be able to swap prospects (see D'Ago & Locke) or get a mid to late pick.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:17 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
The Habs already have 7 D once Markov is good to go, which we won't know until we get closer to October. But even if he misses some time, he should be back a few weeks into the season, and once he's back we are set on D. So that means something will have to be done with Carle.

Personally I think he would clear waivers because most NHL teams are set by October, so they would be picking up someone that has never played more then 64 games as a pro and is coming off a season with two major injuries and only played in 31 games in the AHL, plus he has only 3 games of NHL experience. I understand that he has potential and it only takes one team to really like him or if one team has an early injury, guess we'll see what happens.
I agree but if recalled....he is gonna be picked up....garanti

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:28 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Carle is NHL ready, he just needs to stay healthy.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:23 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Carle is NHL ready, he just needs to stay healthy.
is it a François Beauchemin case again?

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
well hopefully there's no NHL lockout and one of our AHL rivals doesn't pick him off waivers to hurt the Dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I agree but if recalled....he is gonna be picked up....garanti
I would think it highly unlikely that he will get that much money in his contract that he would need to clear recall waivers, so I'd be surprised if that happened.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:36 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
No I don't think so. Carle's issue is just that he can't stay healthy enough to make the big leagues. I think skill wise the guy is ready, no doubt. And he has the heart to make it happen too. I'm a big, big fan of his. Guy is a TANK and amazing offensively...But unfortunately he also seems to be made of glass.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I know for sure that Trotter and Carle have to clear waivers this season. There may be more, but these 2 I'm sure of.

What happens with these guys? Trotter could possibly make the team in a bottom 6 role, and I can honestly see a team claiming him if they try to send him down. Carle on the other hand, is unlikely to make the team out of camp. There is just simply no room for him in our top 6/7 D. Does a team claim him?

How do you see this playing out?
ya know what happened? Timmins and Gainey draft them !

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:54 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
ya know what happened? Timmins and Gainey draft them !
Trotter was signed as an UFA.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

With all the young players we have coming up, are we really worried Carle or Trotter will get picked-up?

I mean, for Carle, it would be kind of a ***** to lose him, still, it's not like we don't have many D righties coming along (Subban, OB, Weber).

As for Trotter... dime'a'dozen

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Trotter was signed as an UFA.
no big deal then

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Carle? Never was a fan, still am not a fan of him. Extremly fragile, he reminds me of a poor-man Brisebois. Which we don't need. He's awful at positioning himself in the d-zone, he's attracted to the puck like a magnet or a pee-wee player.

We also have plenty of PM type of d-men with guys like Weber, Subban, Bennett and Ellis.
Same thing for me. I don't see anything special in Carle

Anyway he won't be claimed. There is no way that he is good enough to crack an NHL top 6. Also, I bet that most teams would give a chance to some of their young players rather than a guy like Carle.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Carles more likely to make the team than Trotter.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:29 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Same thing for me. I don't see anything special in Carle

Anyway he won't be claimed. There is no way that he is good enough to crack an NHL top 6. Also, I bet that most teams would give a chance to some of their young players rather than a guy like Carle.
Pretty much, yeah. He's fragile as hell and weaker than any player. He's got no instincts without the puck. We have two better offensive players, who happen to be better in the defensive end of the ice as well, in Subban and Weber. Both have a better shot than Carle and both have had many good experiences in International tournaments, as well as in the NHL.

Last edited by TankEller*: 07-12-2010 at 12:35 PM.
TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
With all the young players we have coming up, are we really worried Carle or Trotter will get picked-up?

I mean, for Carle, it would be kind of a ***** to lose him, still, it's not like we don't have many D righties coming along (Subban, OB, Weber).

As for Trotter... dime'a'dozen
Trotter is in no way a dime'a'dozen kind of player. He's still young, but for some reason, nobody gives him enough credit for what he just did.

He happens to be a late bloomer, who showed very good things when re-called in the NHL this winter. He has good instincts and reads the ice very well, which is why he gets so many scoring opportunities in the AHL.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Pretty much, yeah. He's fragile as hell and weaker than any player. He's got no instincts without the puck. We have two better offensive players, who happen to be better in the defensive end of the ice as well, in Subban and Weber. Both have a better shot than Weber and both have had many good experiences in International tournaments, as well as in the NHL.
I think you meant Carle, no?

Old
07-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Trotter is in no way a dime'a'dozen kind of player. He's still young, but for some reason, nobody gives him enough credit for what he just did.

He happens to be a late bloomer, who showed very good things when re-called in the NHL this winter. He has good instincts and reads the ice very well, which is why he gets so many scoring opportunities in the AHL.
In the AHL, he isn't a dime'a'dozen, but in the NHL he is. There are dozens of players like him trying to make it on the late side. I know he played well here, better than Locke did at the time, but I still see Trotter as a hopeful NHLer who probably won't make it.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:36 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I think you meant Carle, no?
My mistake.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Before losing those 2 on waivers for nothing, I would hope they would be given a half season to see what they can do. A guy like Trotter could surprise people with his speed and skill.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
GordonGraham

Trotter would clear no problem, Carle im not sure

Does Weber need to clear to be send down?

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....tive=&confId=0

AHL top scorers :

1.K.Aucoin
2.A.Giroux
3.C.Locke
4.J.Samson