HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Yuck

vCash: 500
I'd be ok with 4.5m per, but it for 6 years. A 4 year deal should be cheaper.

Old
07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
any update on Staal and Girardi?

Old
07-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Cermi

4.5M for 6+ years is OK with me...

Personally, I'd give him 3.5M for 4 years.
Then he'd probably get a raise - say 5.5 - 6M, which means that it would be about the same if he signed a 6-year contract (4.5 per) and much better for Rangers if it was a longer term.

Old
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
DangleBerry94*

now that girardi is signed, glen has to be full throttle on getting staal locked up. not really sure what to believe in the rumors that have been floated, whether staal wants bigger money than we want to part with or is ok with less money until he is a ufa.

personally, i say give him seabrook type money taking account inflation, so say somewhere between3.6-4.4, depending on the years. i would like to see him turn a corner with his play though. he's so gifted and his defensive zone hockey iq is off the charts. the little plays made to get the puck and get it out of the zone are chronically underrated and hes got quite a few in his arsenal. but he also seems to be going through the motions a lot of games. sure he'll have a great game by most dman standards, but he plays at another level on only 4 occasions: when he plays ovechkin, when he plays crosby/jordan, when he plays eric, and when he gets run. one of his greatest performances was the game against the kings when dustin brown tried several times to run him through the boards and just bounced off staal. meanwhile, staal kept posession of the puck and calmly proceeded with his breakout. he also took a license plate and attempted to wreck brown later but only got a piece of him. regardless, i want that attitude all the time if he's getting big time money. his balance and defensive prowess are outstanding though and he still has some untapped offensive potential - maybe somewhere in the 40pt neighborhood. give him 2 options, 3.6 range now til ufa or 4.4 range a few years into ufa. he has no leverage in the negotiations, make him earn the big money over the next couple years or overpay slightly for prospective growth longer term.

Old
07-09-2010, 03:38 PM
turcotte8

AGrossRecord from twitter

#NYRangers GM Glen Sather on RFA D Marc Staal: "If somebody gives him an offer sheet, we're going to match it."

Old
07-09-2010, 03:38 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Duguays Flow View Post
now that girardi is signed, glen has to be full throttle on getting staal locked up. not really sure what to believe in the rumors that have been floated, whether staal wants bigger money than we want to part with or is ok with less money until he is a ufa.

personally, i say give him seabrook type money taking account inflation, so say somewhere between3.6-4.4, depending on the years. i would like to see him turn a corner with his play though. he's so gifted and his defensive zone hockey iq is off the charts. the little plays made to get the puck and get it out of the zone are chronically underrated and hes got quite a few in his arsenal. but he also seems to be going through the motions a lot of games. sure he'll have a great game by most dman standards, but he plays at another level on only 4 occasions: when he plays ovechkin, when he plays crosby/jordan, when he plays eric, and when he gets run. one of his greatest performances was the game against the kings when dustin brown tried several times to run him through the boards and just bounced off staal. meanwhile, staal kept posession of the puck and calmly proceeded with his breakout. he also took a license plate and attempted to wreck brown later but only got a piece of him. regardless, i want that attitude all the time if he's getting big time money. his balance and defensive prowess are outstanding though and he still has some untapped offensive potential - maybe somewhere in the 40pt neighborhood. give him 2 options, 3.6 range now til ufa or 4.4 range a few years into ufa. he has no leverage in the negotiations, make him earn the big money over the next couple years or overpay slightly for prospective growth longer term.
I love that username man

Old
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM
DangleBerry94*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
I love that username man
haha, thanks man. grew up long past the duguay days but in the height of the "every good hockey player has sick flow" era and when me and some friends were watching old ranger highlights at some point we saw ron duguay for the first time, that was it. an idol was born. guy had flow for days.

#NYRangers GM Glen Sather on RFA D Marc Staal: "If somebody gives him an offer sheet, we're going to match it."

and in regards to that quote from slats, is it just me or is that an invitation for a team with a lot of cap space to give him more than he deserves. obviously there is a point where you may say that's just too much to justify keeping him. but still, i feel like its an invitation to get stuck in the buffalo-vanek situation. certainly that's the thought i want glen to have, but to put it out there in public is just drawing unnecessary attention to the situation where someone could offer him the highest amount that can be justified and screw up our cap even more than it already is when we match.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Anyone a little concerned about the potential $$$ Staal will get now that Girardi got 3.325M?

Before the season's end, I was hoping we can sign Staal for a little more than that amount. I have a feeling we'll see something like 4.5M for Marc. Too much, too soon. I won't hesitate for a split second for that amount, but man.. That's a lot of dough..

Old
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Anyone a little concerned about the potential $$$ Staal will get now that Girardi got 3.325M?

Before the season's end, I was hoping we can sign Staal for a little more than that amount. I have a feeling we'll see something like 4.5M for Marc. Too much, too soon. I won't hesitate for a split second for that amount, but man.. That's a lot of dough..
I see that, too. What Girardi got is a ****ing joke.

Old
07-09-2010, 06:27 PM
RESPECT THE SHIELD10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Duguays Flow View Post

I don't know if I've ever agreed with a post as much as this one... Although I'm pretty o.k with a good dman most nights and a superb one on those

Old
07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

2 of the best sources for Rangers info

Larry Brooks

Quote:
Rangers bought 3 yrs of Girardi UFA. Looking to buy at least 2 from Staal.
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/18131700363

Quote:
4 at $3.325 fair deal for both parties.Staal 6 at 4.5 or so would be same.
http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/status/18132656463

Arthur Staple

Quote:
Girardi stumbled a bit early last season but was one of coach John Tortorella's most counted-upon players as a penalty-killer and shutdown right-side defenseman. The four-year deal with a $3.325-million average annual value carries Girardi through his potential entry into unrestricted free agency and leaves roughly $4.5 million of salary-cap space to sign Staal.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...nger-1.2093071

6 years/$4.5 million cap hit/$27 million

The Rangers would have $4.2 million remaining in the $65.34 million summer cap by giving Staal $4.5 million for 6 years which would include 2 years of group III.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If we sign Staal for 6 years at 4.5, I'll be happy with that. It means, essentially, Redden is done as a Ranger.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
terrrrrible

According to capgeek, Rangers only have slightly less than 4.5mil available for next season. Would they have to back load Staal's contract now? 4mil this year, and then up to 4.5/5 as more cap space becomes available throughout the years? Also makes me think, he's getting a 3.7mil raise?! I know he's our best D-man, just crazy to think about.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
NYRC68

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
According to capgeek, Rangers only have slightly less than 4.5mil available for next season. Would they have to back load Staal's contract now? 4mil this year, and then up to 4.5/5 as more cap space becomes available throughout the years? Also makes me think, he's getting a 3.7mil raise?! I know he's our best D-man, just crazy to think about.
Cap hit is the average of the total contract amount/years. Front-loading it does not affect the cap hit. If I am wrong, someone let me know.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:02 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
AGrossRecord from twitter

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colorado extended him an offer sheet and announced, "this is for Joe Sakic."

Old
07-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Levitate

They have that summer cap cushion, so not a big deal to think about a deal around $4.5 mill cap hit. They'd just need to tweak the roster by the start of the season to get under the cap (sending players down, or making a trade)

As for Staal getting a huge raise, well, he is a first pairing defenseman now, so it's kind of to be expected

Old
07-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRC68 View Post
Cap hit is the average of the total contract amount/years. Front-loading it does not affect the cap hit. If I am wrong, someone let me know.
Your correct. Front loaded just lets players get more money earlier so they can invest or whatever.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Staal for 6 at 4.5 is acceptable, but not exactly a steal.

Volchenkov just got 6 for 4.25, all UFA years.

This deal is a win for the Rangers if Staal continues to improve and becomes a top 20 dman in this league, but if he stays where he is at it is a bit of a net loss.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

This deal is a win for the Rangers if Staal continues to improve and becomes a top 20 dman in this league, but if he stays where he is at it is a bit of a net loss.
yep.

id prefer to give him a deal similar to what girardi ust got...maybe 250-500k more.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:34 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Staal is a much more well-rounded d-man than Volchenkov is. Also, Staal is just starting to tap into his offensive potential. IMO, 4.5M per for 6 would be a fine deal.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:49 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Colorado extended him an offer sheet and announced, "this is for Joe Sakic."
Oh God, don't even say that. Smith would probably get a big kick out of that though.

I could just see Sathers response. Sitting, scratching his head, wondering when the hell he gave a guy named Joe Sakic a huge contract offer.

"Sakic... Sakic... I know that name. Is he that Czech fellow I gave 9 million dollars to a few years back?"

Old
07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

I would be fine with 6 years @ 4.5 for Staal. Too much for this season and next, but it'll average out over time.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Oh God, don't even say that. Smith would probably get a big kick out of that though.

I could just see Sathers response. Sitting, scratching his head, wondering when the hell he gave a guy named Joe Sakic a huge contract offer.

"Sakic... Sakic... I know that name. Is he that Czech fellow I gave 9 million dollars to a few years back?"

hahahahahahahahhaha

Well done gentlemen

Old
07-12-2010, 02:02 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post

Slainte!

Old
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Staal is a much more well-rounded d-man than Volchenkov is. Also, Staal is just starting to tap into his offensive potential. IMO, 4.5M per for 6 would be a fine deal.
He might be more well-rounded, but Volchenkov is the best defensive defenseman in the league. Staal is very good defensively, but he's not as good as Volchenkov.

Closed Thread