HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2010, 06:43 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

All I'm saying, is that it's not the end of the world, but kinda just made a few small F ups, when they could have done a few good small things things, and possibly a big good thing if they had waited to move Wolski at another time in a package deal for something.
Agreed 100%, Foppa. Not moving Svatos and one defenseman was poor asset management. Just like not moving Laperriere at the deadline last season. Dumb.

-AB

Old
03-04-2010, 07:22 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Agreed 100%, Foppa. Not moving Svatos and one defenseman was poor asset management. Just like not moving Laperriere at the deadline last season. Dumb.

-AB
There was no market for Svatos. What playoff team would waste a pick and 2m in cap space for him? I'm surprised a defenseman was not moved though, I thought Clarke or Salei would have been gone for sure.

Old
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Just from watching all the trade rumors, I think the possibility of trading guys for picks is really overblown.

Teams that are high up in the standings are doing well because there's team chemistry, set lines, and guys have been playing well together all year long. I don't think if I was a team contending for the cup I would really want Svatos, give away a pick, plus stick him on my third line while removing a guy whose already on my team and winning.

Old
03-04-2010, 07:48 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJoe View Post
There was no market for Svatos. What playoff team would waste a pick and 2m in cap space for him? I'm surprised a defenseman was not moved though, I thought Clarke or Salei would have been gone for sure.
Any team wouldn't have wasted $2M in cap space for Svatos.

-AB

Old
03-04-2010, 08:42 PM
54toscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
Question to AB and Foppa: do you think any team made any kind of offer whatsoever for Svatos? If so, what do you think they offered? Same question regarding our expendable D-men.

Looking around the league at the trade deadline: Scott Walker (7th), Milan Jurcina (6th), Mathieu Schneider (6th + low prospect), Frederick Modin (7th), Petteri Nokelainen (6th), Stephane Yelle (6th), Martin Skoula (5th), Derrick Morris (4th), Aaron Ward (4th + Pogge).

When I look at that list, I would say in all honesty that I think Marek Svatos is less useful than all four forwards listed. Unfortunately, they don't make 8th round draft picks any more.

With defensemen, it's a little trickier to predict relative market value, especially since Salei hasn't been healthy and would have been a risky pickup.

Old
03-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Everything Greg Sherman touches turns into gold.

Old
04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
CapGeek is reporting that Shattenkirk's three year entry level deal has a $1.3 M cap hit. He's got a $875k base, with a $400k bonus in the first year, $425k in the second, and $450k in the third.

http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...d=105410&pos=D

Old
06-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Foppa2118

Added 2010 draft picks and trades, along with some of the popular picks around at the time, so we can track whether they made the right choice or not.

Old
07-12-2010, 05:03 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Interesting article I found over at THN...

Campbell's Cuts: Kovalchuk still talking to Kings and a new NHLPA constitution

At the bottom there is this...
WHY THERE ARE SO MANY SHORT-TERM CONTRACTS

Speaking of the CBA, it’s no coincidence we’re seeing a plethora of one- and two-year deals being signed, particularly by young players coming out of entry level contracts who have very little leverage.

Teams might normally want to lock those players up long-term, or at least avoid a few arbitration-eligible years, but there is plenty of talk around the league that teams are, as they did the last time they had this negotiating dance with the players, trying to limit the number of contracts they have beyond the summer of 2012.

The Colorado Avalanche, it has been rumored, are unwilling to give anyone anything more than two years, which means when burgeoning power forward Chris Stewart is signed, it will be on a short contract. The Avs have already signed Kyle Quincey and Brandon Yip to two-year deals, as did the Phoenix Coyotes with Wojtek Wolski.

It would be almost impossible for the NHLPA to prove the league is colluding to keep these contracts short-term, but there’s little doubt teams are counting on the financial landscape changing once again after 2012 and they want as few commitments as possible when those changes come.

The only flaw in that theory is the CBA doesn’t expire until Sept. 15, 2012, meaning teams will have to sign and re-sign players that summer in the event a work stoppage is avoided.

Old
07-12-2010, 05:23 PM
thedoctor
                    

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
stuff
Great find, thanks for sharing.

Old
07-12-2010, 06:24 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
Great find, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, I thought it was in keeping with the lack of movement the AVs have made. We've got some young great kids and while a true stud locked up for a few years would make some sense at this point I think the AVs believe their might be another hard negotiation between the Players Union and the Owners. The fallout of the salary cap really hurt the AVs both on the ice as well as from a media stand-point. Tugeon and Brisbois for Forsberg and Foote? At that point in time? Please...

I don't think the NHL will survive if there's another blackout, but I do believe an international league could evolve with several countries hosting leagues that offer their best up to an international tourney yearly.

Canada, US, Russia, and whatever you want to break down the other European countries into....

I'm not saying I'd like to see it, but if there is another lockout, I can't see the NHL coming back as we know it. If there is another lockout, I'm going back to college hockey and as my bread and butter. Four years max doesn't give a player a lot a time to break a heart.

I might sound pessimistic, but the owners got their salary cap a few years ago and look what they've done with player salaries since...they simply can't help themselves. GMs and owners acting like GMs are handing out contracts with dollars and years like there is no tomorrow...which I believe will be the future of the NHL if this continues. There will be no tomorrow. Best situation for the NHL would be a no-stoppage deal that includes a "Franchise Player" clause that allows each team one player that does not count against the cap, in addition there should be no guaranteed contracts (imagine a mini-UFA day every Oct 5th when every team releases its final roster) and there should be no penalties to teams poaching RFAs. Either a team matches or they don't...no penalties involved. Make the GMs well, you know...work for a change.

Last edited by expatriated_texan: 07-12-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old
10-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

I'm sure it's been posted, and I just missed it, but for anyone else who might have missed it...

Looks like Ol' Yeller is working as a scout for the Avs:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2010...-for-avs/4741/

Old
11-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Well so far I'm giving the Sherminator and Billington an A+++. They've got a fantastic coaching staff in place and have continued to build from within. I criticized their failure to address the lack of a powerful shot apart from Mueller, but it looks like the answer lies within on that front as well. He also made a masterful under-the-radar move in getting Daniel Winnik.

So far, Sherman has not yet made the big move, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On a side note, while I did not like Francois Giguere as a GM (I truly felt he botched negotiations with both Theodore and Brunette, even if those moves paid off in hindsight) it's obvious he did a good job in drafting. Or am I giving him too much credit--how much control does Rick Pracey have when it comes to the draft? It seems like he has a lot more control than you'd expect a scouing director to have, at least to me. Not that I'm complaining mind you, he's managed to fill the "cubbard" in a relatively short amount of time.

Oh, I see he has a Twitter feed...hasn't posted on it though. Bummer.

Old
11-30-2010, 07:41 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Well so far I'm giving the Sherminator and Billington an A+++.
How 'bout now?

Old
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
How 'bout now?

Yah...not sure at this point. I actually like both trades (even though, again, I'm not a huge fan of Fleischmann) BUT as I just criticized a fellow poster about evaluating the new additions/subtraction before a single game is played, I'll have to change the grade to N/A for now.

Old
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I think at this point we can do some further assessment.

Even knowing what we know now I still think the Hannan/Flash trade was a winner. Flash at the very least was a major contributor to come crucial wins during his short stint, and honestly I think it'd be a mistake not to retain him this offseason.

However, I think it's safe to say Sherman & Co. miscalculated the impact of losing Hannan would have on the defense and PK. We were still a crappy defensive team WITH Hannan here, yes, but things have gotten that much worse with him gone, and unfortunately management overestimated the ability of guys like Wilson and Foote to make up for Hannan's absence, and of course Hannan's "replacement," Matt Hunwick, hasn't made us forget.

I guess it's fair to ask if Flash's presence has won more games than Hannan's absence has lost.

As for the Hunwick deal, I can no longer defend it. It was a noble try, but this trade was a complete and utter FAIL. Not advocating we go out and get another d-man now, but it's a shame he's turned out to be such a complete and utter waste of time. Hopefully Colby Cohen never makes it as an impact defender so the trade ends up being a wash (I do hope the Avs either trade him or just don't tender a qualifying offer after the season).

Old
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
niwotsblessing

Hannan was traded when Quincey was still healthy, and Q was working nicely paired with Shattenkirk. I'd argue that Quincey's injury hurt us more than Hannan's move to DC, because without Quincey Shatty has had ratty partners, and his play has suffered as a result.

Old
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Hannan was traded when Quincey was still healthy, and Q was working nicely paired with Shattenkirk. I'd argue that Quincey's injury hurt us more than Hannan's move to DC, because without Quincey Shatty has had ratty partners, and his play has suffered as a result.
True, I had forgotten about Quincey when I posted that.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I was reading the 2009 draft thread and everyone called O'Rielly a bad pick.

Old
01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was reading the 2009 draft thread and everyone called O'Rielly a bad pick.
Really? I thought a lot of people on here were really excited about that pick, where did you read this?

Old
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Really? I thought a lot of people on here were really excited about that pick, where did you read this?
Right when he got picked. Everyone was whining that we passed up on more talented players for a 3rd liner.

I believe its 3rd version of the 2009 draft found in the op.

Old
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Right when he got picked. Everyone was whining that we passed up on more talented players for a 3rd liner.

I believe its 3rd version of the 2009 draft found in the op.
I was one who thought they took him too high. Not that he wasn't a good player just that guys like Budish, Roussel, and Shore were still on the board. I am glad the Avs don't listen to me for the most part.

Old
02-13-2011, 01:33 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

How quickly times, and therefore grades, change.

Deadline's coming up. I imagine Sherman's very job might be on the line depending on what he does (or does not) do.

He's already given up two prospects, one trade worked out (O'Byrne), the other of course has been just about the worst I can remember the Avs ever doing. Seriously, I think only the Vrbata-for-Battaglia swap ranks worse than this one. Hopefully Sherman can parlay this fail for a valuable asset, much like Lacroix packaged a 1st round bust and Battaglia's useless carcass for Konowalchuk.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:27 AM
54toscore

If there's a silver lining to how this season is going down, it's that we should be able to re-sign our RFAs and UFAs whom we'll want to bring back for much cheaper.

Old
02-13-2011, 04:51 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54toscore View Post
If there's a silver lining to how this season is going down, it's that we should be able to re-sign our RFAs and UFAs whom we'll want to bring back for much cheaper.
But at the same time we will be quite unattractive to other UFAs (perhaps ours too). Meaning we have to overpay to get them to come to Denver.

Closed Thread