HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sather on Staal, More Moves, Voros + More

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2010, 09:46 PM
  #76
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so with the Hawks scareeeeeeeeeewed on the cap yet again does this re-open the Sharp interest?
I'd love Sharp on this team but the only way you go get him is if you think we can lock him up to a contract extension. I don't think money would be a big issue considering the year he's eligible for free agency is the year Drury comes off the books. It's just important we don't give him Drury type money.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
  #77
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'd love Sharp on this team but the only way you go get him is if you think we can lock him up to a contract extension. I don't think money would be a big issue considering the year he's eligible for free agency is the year Drury comes off the books. It's just important we don't give him Drury type money.
That's what concerns me the most.... He's a very nice player and would be a solid addition to any team but his value is going to be very high and as soon as he hits free agency he goes from a $3.9 cap hit a year to a $5-5.5 mil cap hit on his next contract.... I'd prefer if the team used that kind of money on a Center or a Veteran defenseman in the not too distant future... Would hate to lose any valuable asset to get a player one year before he hits FA... If Sharp were signed at that $3.9 mil cap hit for another 2 or 3 years, that's a whole different story.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:55 PM
  #78
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That's what concerns me the most.... He's a very nice player and would be a solid addition to any team but his value is going to be very high and as soon as he hits free agency he goes from a $3.9 cap hit a year to a $5-5.5 mil cap hit on his next contract.... I'd prefer if the team used that kind of money on a Center or a Veteran defenseman in the not too distant future... Would hate to lose any valuable asset to get a player one year before he hits FA... If Sharp were signed at that $3.9 mil cap hit for another 2 or 3 years, that's a whole different story.
He is signed for another two years.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:58 PM
  #79
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That's what concerns me the most.... He's a very nice player and would be a solid addition to any team but his value is going to be very high and as soon as he hits free agency he goes from a $3.9 cap hit a year to a $5-5.5 mil cap hit on his next contract.... I'd prefer if the team used that kind of money on a Center or a Veteran defenseman in the not too distant future... Would hate to lose any valuable asset to get a player one year before he hits FA... If Sharp were signed at that $3.9 mil cap hit for another 2 or 3 years, that's a whole different story.
As it's already posted he's signed for another 2 years and the hope would be that we can lock him up for longer than that. I don't think $5.5 mil for Sharp per year would be bad at all if the cap continues to go up like it did this off-season.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM
  #80
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
He said no to Sean Avery at $4mil per year and managed to get him half price less than a year later. Can you imagine how quick everyone would've gone from "I can't believe Sather won't give Avery his money and is going to let him walk!!!" to "I can't believe Sather paid this average 3rd liner $4mil per year!!!"

He does a lot of the right things then ruins them with truly boneheaded, knee jerk signings that I sometimes think James Dolan has just as much to do with as Sather does. Outside of free agency, it's been a long time since Sather has made a truly stupid move.
Two good points... Fans would be livid if we were paying $3.5-4 million for the Avery we got last season.... Also, people like to hate on Sather but they should at least acknowledge that it's one aspect of his General Management that is highly questionable, his FA signings... Post he has retained all of our highest potential prospects and not traded away any of the core players that we've wanted retained (Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan), despite there being a definitive demand... It's okay to not like Sather but I at least wish people would give him credit where credit is due and criticism where criticism is due.... I'm not even sure I like the guy but I can't hate him entirely because I think he has managed our young players very well, and I'm the guy with the signed and now retired Prucha jersey hanging up in my closet.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
  #81
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
As it's already posted he's signed for another 2 years and the hope would be that we can lock him up for longer than that. I don't think $5.5 mil for Sharp per year would be bad at all if the cap continues to go up like it did this off-season.
That changes things a little bit... Which one of these players are you ready to part ways with in any potential trade - (Dubinsky, Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, MDZ) ? Surely the Hawks are asking for one of those players and a pick.... I left out Callahan because he has the highest salary...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
  #82
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
More Roszival fluffing. Like it's 1 mistake in 30 games, please. If he could hold the puck on the blueline he would get a break but that's asking too much. I'd be happy if he just showed up before January.

We can totally afford to move a 2nd pair defenseman making $5m. He is our most tradable asset that can deliver the most cap space. His contract, while large and undeserved, is now an asset for teams hovering near the cap floor. Just move him if you can, his minutes will be tough to fill but its not like this team is on the verge of anything positive.

Sharp or Savard is exactly what this team needs. Cap relief is the single biggest asset we can deliver. If Sather can pull off another Gomez miracle, we are in line to have a 1st line center.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
  #83
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That changes things a little bit... Which one of these players are you ready to part ways with in any potential trade - (Dubinsky, Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, MDZ) ? Surely the Hawks are asking for one of those players and a pick.... I left out Callahan because he has the highest salary...
They could ask, but they are not going to get it. They are in cap hell. If they have to move Sharp, which I do not know if they really have to, they will not get full value for him.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:08 PM
  #84
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so with the Hawks scareeeeeeeeeewed on the cap yet again does this re-open the Sharp interest?
Gosh, I hope so. One of my NHL friends told me there was a lot of talk at The Finals that Sharp should have won the Conn Smythe. If he's reasonably priced (?) I'm sure interested

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:13 PM
  #85
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
That changes things a little bit... Which one of these players are you ready to part ways with in any potential trade - (Dubinsky, Stepan, Kreider, Grachev, McDonagh, MDZ) ? Surely the Hawks are asking for one of those players and a pick.... I left out Callahan because he has the highest salary...
I'd be willing to part with Grachev in a deal for Sharp. I'd prefer to see what McDonagh does this season before we entertain any deals with him involved. If we were to send Stepan to Chicago I'd hope we'd be getting more than just Sharp somehow.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
  #86
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,347
vCash: 500
Sharp would be a great pick up. Versatile, great speed, can play both ends of the ice, and is a right handed shot. Not to mention he's on a great contract.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:23 PM
  #87
malfobi88
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
The pro-Sauer crowd maybe needs to take a second look...in reality the kid probably isn't that good...otherwise he would have been up already.

Give the Rangers staff credit...how many prospects have totally flourished after we "gave up" on them? Most just disappear into the hockey abyss.
I agree with this statement, within the past 5 years no one has really flourished. That was the Ranger M.O. about 10 years ago Knuble,Savard, and to a degree Sundstrom.

You don't see that going on anymore.

malfobi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:25 PM
  #88
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'd be willing to part with Grachev in a deal for Sharp. I'd prefer to see what McDonagh does this season before we entertain any deals with him involved. If we were to send Stepan to Chicago I'd hope we'd be getting more than just Sharp somehow.
Hush your mouth!

I've made my peace over the last two years with the fact that we might trade Grachev. But damn it, it better be in a deal to acquire a true all-star... not just a solid, versatile top six player.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 12:14 AM
  #89
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hush your mouth!

I've made my peace over the last two years with the fact that we might trade Grachev. But damn it, it better be in a deal to acquire a true all-star... not just a solid, versatile top six player.
Grachev put up 28 points in 80 games last season at Hartford, it doesn't get much better than Sharp in terms of return for Grachev at this point, and while I'm not ready to give up on him who knows if his value is at its peak right now.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:31 AM
  #90
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Grachev put up 28 points in 80 games last season at Hartford, it doesn't get much better than Sharp in terms of return for Grachev at this point, and while I'm not ready to give up on him who knows if his value is at its peak right now.
one year of the AHL does not a career make.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:04 AM
  #91
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
one year of the AHL does not a career make.
It's still a pretty abysmal year for a guy that's supposed to pan out to be a top 6 goalscorer.

And I'm pretty high on Grachev, but he's starting to raise questions and doubts.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:44 AM
  #92
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Speaking of Staal, I received an infraction from one of the Sharks moderators because he couldn't accept the fact the Rangers aren't trading Staal to them for one of their 2nd line players...LOL.

And thus, is the reason its IMPOSSIBLE to "like" another team...you come to realize they have fans that can't accept reality.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:54 AM
  #93
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Grachev was 19 & 20 last season.

Its difficult me for me to disappointed with a player that young in the AHL.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:04 AM
  #94
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's still a pretty abysmal year for a guy that's supposed to pan out to be a top 6 goalscorer.

And I'm pretty high on Grachev, but he's starting to raise questions and doubts.
Based on what?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:25 AM
  #95
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
They could ask, but they are not going to get it. They are in cap hell. If they have to move Sharp, which I do not know if they really have to, they will not get full value for him.
Chicago is not going to give up Sharp for nothing. They have been in cap straits the entire summer. Has Stan Bowman made a bad deal involving any of the players he traded? He added a good young player in Stalberg in the Versteeg and a plethora of #1 round picks/#2 round picks/good prospects for players the Hawks couldn't afford.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
  #96
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Chicago is not going to give up Sharp for nothing. They have been in cap straits the entire summer. Has Stan Bowman made a bad deal involving any of the players he traded? He added a good young player in Stalberg in the Versteeg and a plethora of #1 round picks/#2 round picks/good prospects for players the Hawks couldn't afford.
As the summer drags on and the season draws closer, the return for players will drop, not drasticly where a 2nd round pick would do it, but the return would not be full value.

I think the Hawks have something like $100K in cap space (According to Tim Sassone) and have to sign another 5 or 6 players. That is regular season cap space I believe, so they really have like $5.5 million counting the summer cap. Once Neimi gets his arbitration decision, things could change big time.

Quote:
#Blackhawks have about $100,000 in cap space with 5-6 players to sign - big problem for Bowman
http://twitter.com/TimSassone

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:44 AM
  #97
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
Trading Sharp isn't going to solve the Hawks problems. They are going to have to move Campbell or Hossa. Good luck with that.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:46 AM
  #98
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,458
vCash: 500
Slats can probably get Sharp for a 1st + prospect, but then he'd half to dump a d-man and Rozsi might be tradeable for a 2nd or 3rd, but then who would take his minutes?

Grr.... gotta wait for Drury's stupid contract to expire!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
  #99
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Slats can probably get Sharp for a 1st + prospect, but then he'd half to dump a d-man and Rozsi might be tradeable for a 2nd or 3rd, but then who would take his minutes?

Grr.... gotta wait for Drury's stupid contract to expire!
I don't see why the Rangers would have to then trade Roszival if they got Sharp. They would just have to send Redden to the minors when training camp is over.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / * Patrick Sharp ($3.900m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($4.500m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Steve Eminger ($1.125m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP: $59.4m; PAYROLL: $60.322m; BONUSES: $2.587m; CAP ROOM: $1.666m

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
  #100
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Speaking of Staal, I received an infraction from one of the Sharks moderators because he couldn't accept the fact the Rangers aren't trading Staal to them for one of their 2nd line players...LOL.

And thus, is the reason its IMPOSSIBLE to "like" another team...you come to realize they have fans that can't accept reality.
Did the Mods here have your back at least? I mean that's like playing Net and getting run by the captain of the other team. Needs immediate response ya know!!!!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.