HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Briere instead of Gagne

Old
07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
how do you figure? they put up similar offensive numbers and gagne is leaps and bounds ahead of briere on defense. a magical playoff run vs an injured playoff run is not the best indicator.
Gagne had the best playoff run of his career.

I like how people assume that Briere had one very good run that's never gonna repeat itself. Sure, he's not going to score 12 points in the SCF again, but nobody is saying that he will.
Briere had 19 points in 18 games in 06, 15 points in 16 games in 07, and 16 points in 17 games in 08.
In the playoffs, Gagne and Briere do not put up similar offensive numbers.

By the way, I can't believe I'm actually making an argument for Briere over Gagne.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Clown Baby

Maybe we'll be lucky and Briere will go the way of Mike Rathje.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
Maybe we'll be lucky and Briere will go the way of Mike Rathje.
He will just retire three years from now, or does anybody think he will play for a total $5MM as a 37/38 year old?

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 06:20 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I had a dream Briere was traded to the Bruins. I hope that doesn't happen.

07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
He will just retire three years from now, or does anybody think he will play for a total $5MM as a 37/38 year old?
I guess it all depends on both his finances (sure he has made a fair bit of money, but not everyone is good at keeping the money they earn). While he will earn less those two years, 5 million is still a fair bit of money, not like Prongers last two seasons at $500K each. He also seems to be a player that quite enjoys the game. On the flipside, if news about his divorce are true (didn't care enough to follow that rumour in depth), he may leave a bit early if his kids will be in a different state as he seems to be a family man.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Foreverinour

briere, like giroux need talented players to play with. a la leino, and zherdev.

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I honestly think if either Danny or Giroux is paired with Zherdev, then Zherdev looks like an allstar next year. I can really see both of them exploding next year for points.

Danny showed just how good he is with the right teammates in the play-offs. I just hope leino brings his A-Game in the regular season too.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Why are we still even entertaining this? NO ONE IS TAKING BRIERE. He was waived. He was shopped. He was shopped again THIS SEASON.

No one wants 5 years at 6.5M, even if they get a de facto discount. The cap number is horrendous, the value for production is below average and the length is probably the worst part of the deal.

He was a symbolic signing to usher us into the New NHL, every GM in the league still knows this. That it's paid off in his performance in two deep playoff runs is a saving grace for the Flyers but not enough to sway any other team into taking him. I have my doubts that he'd be claimed if he were waived today, the contract is THAT bad.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
Why are we still even entertaining this? NO ONE IS TAKING BRIERE. He was waived. He was shopped. He was shopped again THIS SEASON.
What, 10 years ago? That's relevant.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 01:19 PM
tuckrr

How do you threaten briere That you will waive him with a NMC? That's how we got gags to waive his NTC

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:06 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
What, 10 years ago? That's relevant.
uh, no dude, three years ago. the FLYERS waived him. he was not claimed. thanks for playing.

Old
07-13-2010, 01:20 AM
FlyerEra2010

Quote:
uh, no dude, three years ago. the FLYERS waived him. he was not claimed. thanks for playing.
Are you sure? I don't remember ever hearing about that one and wouldn't his NMC prevent it?

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:21 AM
decadentia

Quote:
The Flyers waived Briere? You realize with a NMC Briere cannot be waived.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:58 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

McKenzie said it during a HNIC segment and it was on The Hot Stove as well, of course that doesn't mean it is true. It came up in discussions of his woeful +/- that year.

I thought he had NTC but you guys are right, NMC, hmmm, perhaps a matter for further research now.

EDIT: Not seeing it in any transaction listings, hmmmmmm, well apologies but anyway I still believe he is unmovable for better or worse. NMC+high cap hit+lengthy commitment+age+weak defense=dealbreaker. I am not broken up about it, dude is a gamer and more or less worth the loot when healthy.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 07-13-2010 at 02:06 AM.
Old
07-13-2010, 03:03 AM
decadentia

Quote:
McKenzie said it during a HNIC segment and it was on The Hot Stove as well, of course that doesn't mean it is true. It came up in discussions of his woeful +/- that year.

I thought he had NTC but you guys are right, NMC, hmmm, perhaps a matter for further research now.

EDIT: Not seeing it in any transaction listings, hmmmmmm, well apologies but anyway I still believe he is unmovable for better or worse. NMC+high cap hit+lengthy commitment+age+weak defense=dealbreaker. I am not broken up about it, dude is a gamer and more or less worth the loot when healthy.
I think you might be thinking when he was on LTIR, and played a few conditioning games with our AHL team and then was brought up.

Trust me, if he was ever waived by the Flyers it would be brought up in every 2nd conversation with regards to him and trading him.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:56 AM
rayearth

Quote:
You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

Lol smooth. Oh and briere's contract can be moved. quite easily. If scott Gomez can be moved for a return then danny briere can be moved.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Cartsiephan*

Briere, 30 pts in the 2010 playoffs, 87pts in 86 playoff games overall.

Carter, 41 playoff games and 19 pts, including a stellar -11.

Yes, trade Briere. Seriously, sometimes I am embarrassed for Flyers fans.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:10 PM
BlueWings4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post

I'm still pissed at Carter for not burying that puck in the wide open net 3rd Pd. of Game 6. He is the most talented and best player on the ice whenever HE wants to be. Unfortunately he is not a clutch performer, and in professional sports that is all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I honestly think if either Danny or Giroux is paired with Zherdev, then Zherdev looks like an allstar next year. I can really see both of them exploding next year for points.

Danny showed just how good he is with the right teammates in the play-offs. I just hope leino brings his A-Game in the regular season too.
Danny and Zherdev... on the same line? You better have Blair Betts centering that one because if not it would be a defensive NIGHTMARE.

BlueWings4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWings4 View Post
I'm still pissed at Carter for not burying that puck in the wide open net 3rd Pd. of Game 6. He is the most talented and best player on the ice whenever HE wants to be. Unfortunately he is not a clutch performer, and in professional sports that is all that matters.

High and wide within 6ft cannot put it high enough and directly at the center of the net...

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
High and wide within 6ft cannot put it high enough and directly at the center of the net...
Thats pretty much exactly where he put it... Niemi's head just happened to be there. But i see what you're getting at none the less.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
EasyMac

Quote:

The one big difference is that Briere was 29 years old when he started to play a lot of playoff games (1 game at age 22, 5 games at age 24, then nothing until he was 28). So at the same age as Carter is now, Briere had only played in 6 NHL playoff games (and scored 3 points).

I am not saying we should get rid of Briere (although his salary likely will keep looking worse and worse) and I do think Briere is awesome in the playoffs. However while at times Carter can be frustrating, he still is quite young and I can easily see him becoming more of a force in the playoffs as he gets older. I think it is still way to early to write Carter off as a playoff bust (plus he has shown before he can play well in the playoffs, 23 points in 21 games as a 20 year old in the AHL playoffs, on a team he only joined for the playoff run).

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 04:56 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWings4 View Post

Danny and Zherdev... on the same line? You better have Blair Betts centering that one because if not it would be a defensive NIGHTMARE.
to be fair, everyone thought the Briere-Harts-Ville line would be atrocious defensively, and they ended up just making life miserable for the other teams and only had a few gaffs here and there.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

I was looking for a thread to bump to give Danny some kudos for being #2 in the league in +/- and came across this thread.

Good for a laugh

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:01 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Briere deal is still too long.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote