HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagne to Habs?

Old
07-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
There is another buy out window later in the summer, but he won't be bought out. They could bury him in the minors, but don't expect that to happen either.
The second window is for teams which get an uncomfortable arbitration award, though. We don't have any players going to salary arbitration, so the buyout period is over for us.

Hamrlik is in the opening night lineup.

And to be honest, I think we should all be hoping that he finishes the season with us. Because the alternative... well, in order for him to be a trade option at the deadline, after his NTC expires, it probably means our season is a lost cause. I hope our season doesn't go down the tubes. I'll be hoping Hamrlik sticks with the team all year. That Subban and O'Byrne show they will be 20-minute regulars, that Spacek has a bounce-back season, and that we can peacefully let Hamrlik walk as a UFA next summer without any real impact to our D.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 02:56 PM
Bekbe

I f we can have a good deal for Hamrlik I will be ok but maybe we should keep him, he's been very good whit the young defencement ( phaneuf ) He will be a good match whith subban. He just have a season at 5.5 so I dont want to buy him out for 2 years.
But did some of you ever think that he like montreal and next year he won't make 5.5, he will have a hudge cut , maybe we will resign him between 2-3 milion a year. I think I can live with that...it's deepnest in defence

Bekbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I would keep hammer lick but at a major pay cut
and i mean like cut in half
for a season or 2

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The issue is you can move him and greatly improve your top 6 - seems like a no brainer to me, but this organization will never eat 5.5 million. Other teams will, but not us.
Who are the other teams eating 5.5 million in salary at the moment? We all heard stories about how Wade Redden and Cristobal Huet would be immediately buried in the minors, yet lo and behold, they're still with their NHL teams...and they provide far less value for their cap hits than Hamrlik does. In fact, Chicago lost Versteeg, Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager, Ladd and now possibly Hjalmarsson and Niemi...all before they were willing to sacrifice Huet.

This notion of burying lousy players on big contracts in the minors for cap relief seems to be popular with fans and no one else.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Who are the other teams eating 5.5 million in salary at the moment? We all heard stories about how Wade Redden and Cristobal Huet would be immediately buried in the minors, yet lo and behold, they're still with their NHL teams...and they provide far less value for their cap hits than Hamrlik does. In fact, Chicago lost Versteeg, Byfuglien, Sopel, Eager, Ladd and now possibly Hjalmarsson and Niemi...all before they were willing to sacrifice Huet.

This notion of burying lousy players on big contracts in the minors for cap relief seems to be popular with fans and no one else.
I'm getting the sense that given your name you are happy Avtsin is in Montreal aren't you?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:28 PM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
I f we can have a good deal for Hamrlik I will be ok but maybe we should keep him, he's been very good whit the young defencement ( phaneuf ) He will be a good match whith subban. He just have a season at 5.5 so I dont want to buy him out for 2 years.
But did some of you ever think that he like montreal and next year he won't make 5.5, he will have a hudge cut , maybe we will resign him between 2-3 milion a year. I think I can live with that...it's deepnest in defence
I think Hamrlik has been a wonderful defenseman for us, but I would rather not have both Spacek and Hamrlik in our starting lineup in 2011. We would have too many old and slow defensemen. I would rather have someone like O'byrne starting for us in 2011. I would hope PG would not re-sign Hamrlik after this season, even at a big discount (unless we can unload Spacek)

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
gusfring

Quote:

New Jersey did it with Mogilny and Malakhov and Washington successfully traded Kolzig to Toronto.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
I'm getting the sense that given your name you are happy Avtsin is in Montreal aren't you?
Never heard of him

Old
07-12-2010, 03:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
New Jersey did it with Mogilny and Malakhov and Washington successfully traded Kolzig to Toronto.
Mogilny & Malakhov were special cases done in the wake of the lockout five years ago, and no one has really done it since (Michael Nylander is the only remotely similar case I can think of but even then, he wanted out of WSH as well. Haven't seen any indication that Hamrlik wants out of MTL).

Kolzig to Toronto was a trade, obviously...I wasn't refuting the idea of trading Hamrlik for picks, I think it's entirely feasible. It's the idea of magically dumping players in the minors to clear up capspace that I was taking umbrage with.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Corey

Has anyone heard of Gagné's willingness to come to Montréal? It would be news to me. Without his consent, the Flyers can't trade him here. If he refuses, does that make him a traitor to the province? He wouldn't be the only homeboy to take that position.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
RBR

Quote:
Mogilny & Malakhov were special cases done in the wake of the lockout five years ago, and no one has really done it since (Michael Nylander is the only remotely similar case I can think of but even then, he wanted out of WSH as well. Haven't seen any indication that Hamrlik wants out of MTL).

Kolzig to Toronto was a trade, obviously...I wasn't refuting the idea of trading Hamrlik for picks, I think it's entirely feasible. It's the idea of magically dumping players in the minors to clear up capspace that I was taking umbrage with.
Dan McGillis, Cheechoo, Witt, Kyle McLaren, Peter Schaefer, Mark Bell, Darius Kasparaitis, Curtis Joseph, Vitaly Vishnevski, Manny Legace, and Miroslav Satan were all dumped in the minors. There are more that I'm forgetting.

Teams do what it takes to win. Why would they not? Dumping players is a common thing and, if a team is not willing to do it, then that is not a team a fan should rightly support. Who the hell wants to be the fan of a team with a cheapskate owner who only focuses on the bottom line?

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
Yeah, keep that soft midget.
Kadri, Nazem- Ht: 6'0 Wt: 183 PIMS: 105

Not sure if serious..

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Because he's passed the point where signs of talent is enough. We need him to be a consistent offensive threat, not play like a 3rd line guy that can pot occasional goals if he's put in a top 2 line position which is he now.
So market a future talent to get a rental? Don't think so.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:30 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:

Isn't Redden in the minors? I know it happened to someone.

Also, minors doesn't affect internal cap. Chicago is a big market, but sending Campbell down to the minors (or huet) is like saying that they're aloud to go 5-7 million over the cap. Can they do this?

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
Kadri, Nazem- Ht: 6'0 Wt: 183 PIMS: 105

Not sure if serious..
Yeah I'm serious, he gets pushed around way too easily.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Gio View Post
Yeah I'm serious, he gets pushed around way too easily.
No he doesn't. How many times have you seen him play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYhE2ojzA8

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Has anyone heard of Gagné's willingness to come to Montréal? It would be news to me. Without his consent, the Flyers can't trade him here. If he refuses, does that make him a traitor to the province? He wouldn't be the only homeboy to take that position.
I remember reading an article on this a few years ago... Gagne was saying that he would like to play in Montreal, where hockey is extremely popular instead of playing in a mediocre hockey market.

I'm pretty sure that's what he still thinks.

But I doubt the habs are interested...

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

So I thought a trade was supposed to have happened today?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
De Montreal
help

I wouldn't mind keeping Hamrlik around for extra years once his contract is up... I mean at really cheap, something like 5.2M$/2 years (2.6M$ cap hit). That would make Hammer a Hab until he's 40 of age and ready to retire.

But then again, I really wouldn't mind seeing Hamrlik leave THIS year and thus letting us more cap space to sign another forward plus a cheaper defenceman. But I dont think it will happen... who of us really do?

So yeah, in two years I see us in this situation defensively: Markov, Subban, Gorges, are still around for sure. Gill and Spacek leaving to free agency (for the better). O'Byrne might still be with the team if he have improved enough to take Gill's spot as the big number six dman playing a regular shift on the PK.

Regarding to our playoff pool, one of Weber or Carle is bound to stick with the team. Can't see two players so similar sticking with the team full-time, especially not a team that already has Markov and Subban.

I've kind of lost all hopeness in Alexei Emelin. The Tinordi selection kind of make-up for that wasted pick. But yeah, Tinordi is at least three years away from being a NHLer.

So that leaves Markov, Subban, Gorges, one of Carle/Weber and maybe O'Byrne. Four, maybe five NHL ready defenceman. Hamrlik would surely fill a hole until Tinordi is ready. I'd like to see him stick to the left of Ryan O'Byrne.

Andreï Markov (33) - PK Subban (23)
Josh Gorges (27) - Mathieu Carle (24)
Roman Hamrlik (38) - Ryan O'Byrne (27)

In brackets, age the player will be in two seasons. At the end of the renewed contract, Hamrlik's spot will be assured by Tinordi. Then we can have him play with Gorges on the second pairing, and have Carle play with O'B.

Looks solid enough to me. Thoughts?

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
So I thought a trade was supposed to have happened today?
he didnt wanna take away from the home run competition

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:17 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Isn't Redden in the minors? I know it happened to someone.
You might be thinking of Cheechoo? But I think that's more because Cheechoo can't actually play hockey anymore...

Old
07-12-2010, 11:40 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
Dan McGillis, Cheechoo, Witt, Kyle McLaren, Peter Schaefer, Mark Bell, Darius Kasparaitis, Curtis Joseph, Vitaly Vishnevski, Manny Legace, and Miroslav Satan were all dumped in the minors. There are more that I'm forgetting.

Teams do what it takes to whttp://hfboards.com/images/editor/quote.gifin. Why would they not? Dumping players is a common thing and, if a team is not willing to do it, then that is not a team a fan should rightly support. Who the hell wants to be the fan of a team with a cheapskate owner who only focuses on the bottom line?
Funny that those teams sending veterans to the minors never won anything like you suggest.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Simon Gagné is one hit (concussion) away from having to retire. He's battled injuries in the last few years and his cap hit is substantial. The Habs would have to give more assets (picks/prospects) to gamble on him. For those reasons, I would stay away from him.

As a matter of fact, I'll go as far as saying that I'd take Raffi Torres ahead of Gagné. For one thing, he'd be cheaper against the cap. He's also more physical and he wouldn't cost the team anything (UFA) as far as assets go.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
The 35-and-Older Clause:
- If the player is sent to the minor leagues, his cap hit is reduced by $100,000.

source: http://proicehockey.about.com/od/lea...salary_cap.htm
That only true if a player signs a contract after 35.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:34 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I wouldn't mind keeping Hamrlik around for extra years once his contract is up... I mean at really cheap, something like 5.2M$/2 years (2.6M$ cap hit). That would make Hammer a Hab until he's 40 of age and ready to retire.

But then again, I really wouldn't mind seeing Hamrlik leave THIS year and thus letting us more cap space to sign another forward plus a cheaper defenceman. But I dont think it will happen... who of us really do?

So yeah, in two years I see us in this situation defensively: Markov, Subban, Gorges, are still around for sure. Gill and Spacek leaving to free agency (for the better). O'Byrne might still be with the team if he have improved enough to take Gill's spot as the big number six dman playing a regular shift on the PK.

Regarding to our playoff pool, one of Weber or Carle is bound to stick with the team. Can't see two players so similar sticking with the team full-time, especially not a team that already has Markov and Subban.

I've kind of lost all hopeness in Alexei Emelin. The Tinordi selection kind of make-up for that wasted pick. But yeah, Tinordi is at least three years away from being a NHLer.

So that leaves Markov, Subban, Gorges, one of Carle/Weber and maybe O'Byrne. Four, maybe five NHL ready defenceman. Hamrlik would surely fill a hole until Tinordi is ready. I'd like to see him stick to the left of Ryan O'Byrne.

Andreï Markov (33) - PK Subban (23)
Josh Gorges (27) - Mathieu Carle (24)
Roman Hamrlik (38) - Ryan O'Byrne (27)

In brackets, age the player will be in two seasons. At the end of the renewed contract, Hamrlik's spot will be assured by Tinordi. Then we can have him play with Gorges on the second pairing, and have Carle play with O'B.

Looks solid enough to me. Thoughts?
Hamrlik is gone after this year. His game is not suited for this NHL loaded with puck moving defensmen and tall, big and mobile specimen defensmen. We already have Gorges who will do his job and is way younger. This team needs another skilled D in their squad. Subban and Markov is good but not enough. O'Byrne is no more than a 6th D and I still don't know about Carle.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote