HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brock Trotter & Mathieu Carle - Must clear waivers to be sent down...What happens?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
  #51
HABitual Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Trotter was signed as an UFA.
This implies him being a player nobody wanted. This is far from the truth, he was signed as a free-agent out of university, The same way Toronto signed Bozak and Hanson, and the Rangers signed Gilroy. I don't think it bodes well for the chances of signing players outside the draft(i.e. US colleges or Canadian Juniors) in the future if he is not at least given a chance at the NHL level. Agents and players will be hesitant if they perceive that to be the situation here.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
  #52
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
This implies him being a player nobody wanted. This is far from the truth, he was signed as a free-agent out of university, The same way Toronto signed Bozak and Hanson, and the Rangers signed Gilroy. I don't think it bodes well for the chances of signing players outside the draft(i.e. US colleges or Canadian Juniors) in the future if he is not at least given a chance at the NHL level. Agents and players will be hesitant if they perceive that to be the situation here.
Didn't we get Trotter from the Rangers?

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:27 PM
  #53
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Didn't we get Trotter from the Rangers?
No we got him after he left college and chose the Habs out of like 10 teams.

Taupy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
  #54
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Didn't we get Trotter from the Rangers?
Nope, FA signing.

Trotter looked great in his limited time in montreal, but so did Desharnais... I'm not sure either of them would be good in a
bottom six role, but it's worth a shot. Clearly both players have more offensive upside than our other bottom 6 players and we have pleks, gomez and
gionta on our top 6 who can eat alot of PK (not subban...) minutes.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 08:18 PM
  #55
Darth Joker
Registered User
 
Darth Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
I'd actually play Carle in a No. 6 D role until Markov comes back.

And then hope that he played well enough to either:

1)Make a team interested in acquiring him via trade.

2)Actually beat out one of our regulars for a spot.

Either way, I'd play Carle as a No. 6 D until Markov comes back, and then make a trade just before Markov returns. The hope is that Carle's value can go up from us playing/showcasing him.


I really don't think that Carle would clear waivers. He's an offensive defenseman with some real potential. I can really see a team like Boston or New Jersey, a team that really could use a young inexpensive offensive D, taking a chance on him if Carle has to go through waivers.


Trotter, OTOH, I think could clear waivers. With one obvious exception. And that's Tampa. If Boucher thinks that highly of him, then it's quite possible that Tampa might claim him.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:15 PM
  #56
HABitual Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Didn't we get Trotter from the Rangers?
You mixed him up with Ryan Russell who we got from the Rangers.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:17 PM
  #57
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
If we lose either of them for nothing it will be a dark day in Hamilton History.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:50 AM
  #58
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Trotter would clear no problem, Carle im not sure

Does Weber need to clear to be send down?
no, it's the last year for Weber, the following season he will have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
This implies him being a player nobody wanted. This is far from the truth, he was signed as a free-agent out of university, The same way Toronto signed Bozak and Hanson, and the Rangers signed Gilroy. I don't think it bodes well for the chances of signing players outside the draft(i.e. US colleges or Canadian Juniors) in the future if he is not at least given a chance at the NHL level. Agents and players will be hesitant if they perceive that to be the situation here.
Not sure how signing a FA implies nobody wanted him. But if they did want him, they could have drafted him in either of the two previous drafts before he signed.

But the Habs have to do what's best for them, not what's best for Brock Trotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Danielson View Post
No we got him after he left college and chose the Habs out of like 10 teams.
I don't recall hearing 10 teams were intersted, as his signing sort of came out of no where since he was being kicked off his team and possibily out of school so he opted to sign with an NHL team, and it was said that the Habs showed a lot of interest in him for the '07 draft but never selected him so he signed with us.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
  #59
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
no, it's the last year for Weber, the following season he will have to clear waivers to be sent down.



Not sure how signing a FA implies nobody wanted him. But if they did want him, they could have drafted him in either of the two previous drafts before he signed.

But the Habs have to do what's best for them, not what's best for Brock Trotter.



I don't recall hearing 10 teams were intersted, as his signing sort of came out of no where since he was being kicked off his team and possibily out of school so he opted to sign with an NHL team, and it was said that the Habs showed a lot of interest in him for the '07 draft but never selected him so he signed with us.
There were a bunch of teams interested in him accoring to a lot of the articles I read when they signed him.

After the season he just had in Hamilton I don't see him getting through waivers. He hasn't turned 23 yet and he was putting up over 1 ppgm in the regular season and playoffs.

As I said I think the Habs need to give him at least part of next year in the NHL before risking waivers, he'd be a good fit to push guys like Pouliot and AK or fill in in case of injuries, maybe on the PP when he is dressed.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:30 AM
  #60
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
There were a bunch of teams interested in him accoring to a lot of the articles I read when they signed him.

After the season he just had in Hamilton I don't see him getting through waivers. He hasn't turned 23 yet and he was putting up over 1 ppgm in the regular season and playoffs.

As I said I think the Habs need to give him at least part of next year in the NHL before risking waivers, he'd be a good fit to push guys like Pouliot and AK or fill in in case of injuries, maybe on the PP when he is dressed.
Would you happen to have a link to any of these articles, I know it came out of no where that he was going to turn pro, I looked but couldn't find anything saying any other teams were interested.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:39 AM
  #61
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Would you happen to have a link to any of these articles, I know it came out of no where that he was going to turn pro, I looked but couldn't find anything saying any other teams were interested.
It was 2+ years ago, but I remember reading it.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
  #62
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It was 2+ years ago, but I remember reading it.
I found it

http://www.thespec.com/article/324211

says all 30 teams were interested in him. Seems kind of odd though, since he was passed over in the draft twice, no one wanted him in June but 30 teams wanted him 8 months later.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
  #63
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I found it

http://www.thespec.com/article/324211

says all 30 teams were interested in him. Seems kind of odd though, since he was passed over in the draft twice, no one wanted him in June but 30 teams wanted him 8 months later.
You are getting a player for free. If the draft was 12 or 15 rounds I could see that as a bit strange, but with only 7 rounds, it leaves a lot more FA contracts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:42 AM
  #64
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
You are getting a player for free. If the draft was 12 or 15 rounds I could see that as a bit strange, but with only 7 rounds, it leaves a lot more FA contracts.
I understand that, but for a kid that was just passed over in the draft, it seems odd that all 30 teams wanted him, no one wanted him badly enough to use a 7th rounder on him. I could see if we are talking about someone like Gilroy who was a walkon at BU but years after he's draft eligible then he turns it on. But Trotter was just passed over in the draft, how many guys do you think that get passed over in the draft, have all 30 teams interested in them? Just seems odd to me. He was having a great year though, was among the leading scorers in the NCAA at the time he was removed from the team.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:46 AM
  #65
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
http://theahl.com/stats/statdisplay....tive=&confId=0

AHL top scorers :

1.K.Aucoin
2.A.Giroux
3.C.Locke
4.J.Samson
5.D.Desharnais
6.B.Trotter


Eller was 35.
I love how people use stats and don't even know how to analyze them lol

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:07 AM
  #66
Strik_IX
No excuses!
 
Strik_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Yes. Even if carle were better, O'byrne wins based on what he brings to the table.
Stolen purses?

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.