HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Betmann's salary tops $7M

Old
07-13-2010, 06:48 AM
shortcat1

vCash: 500
Just being 'witty'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/66196

I really don't have anything witty to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcat1 View Post
I'll try...

1. "How can he live on that?"

2. "I guess he must have signed that contract with Glen Sather."

3. "Big bucks come to small packages."

4. "Did he sell his house in Québec yet? Boy, those taxes are just going to eat that salary up."

5. "Is that over one year or 10 years or 17 years?"

6. "I guess the team owners actually did win that group purchase of the scratch & win 'Cash For Life' lottery."

7. "Does that money come from the profits of the Phoenix, Columbus, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa Bay & Florida organizations?"

How's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel55 View Post
What profits?

That's right... what profits? It's simply a part of the humour of the post. I was simply saying 'witty' things.

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Turboflex*

I bet most people can't even elaborate on why they dislike Bettman (BUTTMAN)

yes there's a few southern US NHL franchises that aren't thriving for various reasons, but the southern expansion to bring hockey to non-traditional areas has been overall most a success, 25% of US hockey activity is now taking place in non-traditional areas, this sort of growth is the NHL's long term goal to take hockey from a regional sport to a true continental sport.

You can disagree with the strategy, and believe that hockey should remain a regional game (personally I dont live vicareously through NHL TV ratings, and could care less about it's sucess, but I am glad as a humanist more people now have a chance to be happy experiencing the best sport in the world), but the NHL owners have been working on it for decades and they are happy with the job Bettman is doing so he is not going anywhere. The NHL is a profitable 7 billion $$ operation and the guys who are running it are going to be well compensated just like they would at any other large & profitable company.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
4Beliveau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I bet most people can't even elaborate on why they dislike Bettman (BUTTMAN)

yes there's a few southern US NHL franchises that aren't thriving for various reasons, but the southern expansion to bring hockey to non-traditional areas has been overall most a success, 25% of US hockey activity is now taking place in non-traditional areas, this sort of growth is the NHL's long term goal to take hockey from a regional sport to a true continental sport.

You can disagree with the strategy, and believe that hockey should remain a regional game (personally I dont live vicareously through NHL TV ratings, and could care less about it's sucess, but I am glad as a humanist more people now have a chance to be happy experiencing the best sport in the world), but the NHL owners have been working on it for decades and they are happy with the job Bettman is doing so he is not going anywhere. The NHL is a profitable 7 billion $$ operation and the guys who are running it are going to be well compensated just like they would at any other large & profitable company.
Why not like Bettman?

In his time he's added the following teams:

Tampa
Florida
Atlanta
Anaheim
San Jose
Ottawa
Columbus
Minnesota
Nashville

And moved...

Hartford -> Carolina
Winnipeg -> Phoenix
Quebec City -> Colorado

How many of those teams are doing well? I count 5 of 12. How many are hanging on? How many are clearly markets that have failed?

Bettman pushed for teams all over the States because he wanted a national TV deal and you can't broadcast hockey in Florida if there's no team anywhere close and expect anyone to watch. Of course, no one's watching anyway and the NHL moved away from ESPN to OLN (now Versus) so mission accomplished I guess.

Meanwhile, it took the league a decade to come back from the flood of marginal NHLer's that made their way into the league to fill out the now 30 teams, thereby diluting the quality of the league.

So now we've got more teams with worse players in worse markets with a worse TV deal in the States that allows American's to not watch the quality entertainment that is Columbus vs Nashville. Woohoo!

Also, we've lost a 1 1/2 of hockey over labour disputes during his time (unprecedented).

I understand the reasons for expansion and I think it's great more American's are playing hockey and their development program is so strong. We're seeing future stars rise from California all of a sudden and that's great. But we didn't need to go back to Atlanta to know it wasn't going to work. We didn't need to award a team to Fort Lauderdale after giving one to Tampa without knowing if that was going to work. Phoenix and Columbus didn't sound like a good idea from the beginning and they haven't been.

Ironically, I've actually come around to liking Bettman a bit. I like that he's pretty straightforward and accommodating to interviews for pieces that will do nothing but question his decisions. That's being a good citizen of the NHL. However, if you look at his track record, he hasn't been great. A less than 50% success rate with placing teams is not good enough. I don't know who would do a better job, but I'm going to guess it's likely someone who understands hockey more.

4Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Why not like Bettman?

In his time he's added the following teams:

Tampa
Florida
Atlanta
Anaheim
San Jose
Ottawa
Columbus
Minnesota
Nashville

And moved...

Hartford -> Carolina
Winnipeg -> Phoenix
Quebec City -> Colorado

How many of those teams are doing well? I count 5 of 12. How many are hanging on? How many are clearly markets that have failed?

Bettman pushed for teams all over the States because he wanted a national TV deal and you can't broadcast hockey in Florida if there's no team anywhere close and expect anyone to watch. Of course, no one's watching anyway and the NHL moved away from ESPN to OLN (now Versus) so mission accomplished I guess.

Meanwhile, it took the league a decade to come back from the flood of marginal NHLer's that made their way into the league to fill out the now 30 teams, thereby diluting the quality of the league.

So now we've got more teams with worse players in worse markets with a worse TV deal in the States that allows American's to not watch the quality entertainment that is Columbus vs Nashville. Woohoo!

Also, we've lost a 1 1/2 of hockey over labour disputes during his time (unprecedented).

I understand the reasons for expansion and I think it's great more American's are playing hockey and their development program is so strong. We're seeing future stars rise from California all of a sudden and that's great. But we didn't need to go back to Atlanta to know it wasn't going to work. We didn't need to award a team to Fort Lauderdale after giving one to Tampa without knowing if that was going to work. Phoenix and Columbus didn't sound like a good idea from the beginning and they haven't been.

Ironically, I've actually come around to liking Bettman a bit. I like that he's pretty straightforward and accommodating to interviews for pieces that will do nothing but question his decisions. That's being a good citizen of the NHL. However, if you look at his track record, he hasn't been great. A less than 50% success rate with placing teams is not good enough. I don't know who would do a better job, but I'm going to guess it's likely someone who understands hockey more.
OK let me adress your points in order.

1) I'd say 6 of those teams are doing well (Ottawa, Colorado, San Jose, Carolina, Minnesota), the rest are doing OK in non-traditional markets, struggling but achieving the NHL's long term goals of promoting hockey groundwork and participation. You could only say that maybe Atlanta, Phoenix & Florida are real losers, a complete lack of any on ice success along with bad arena, bad ownership & bad arena locations doesn't help. No one ever claimed they did a perfect job in all those moves and expansion choices, but overall it has not been a disaster (like say the CFL's attempt at US expansion hehe), I would rank it as a reasonable success.

2) The ESPN thing, I would read this article:
http://www.lightthelamp.com/2010-art...th-repost.html
Very good points brough up regarding the "ESPN myth".

3) Expansion dillution, a viable point but it doesn't bother me personally too much. But then again I'm a guy who's also happy to go watch a CIS game or even hang around a local arena watching Senior A hockey.

4) All leagues have labour disputes, right now the NHL is good financial shape with a hard cap & floor with few CBA loopholes. There is little chance of a labour dispute for the upcoming CBA renewel period. The mighty NFL is facing a lockout in 2011, The MLB & NBA have a lot of franchise inequity, and many NBA franchises bleed money (they too are facing a 2011-2012 lockout). Do I need remind a Montrealer about the 1994 MLB dispute?

Bettmen is the agent of the owners, he has a lot of influence but he is also reflecting their wishes. Bringing in someone who knows hockey better won't be some magic bullet. I'm sure if you caught Bettman in private he would admit there's been some mistakes, he obviously won't admit it in public as it would damage a franchise. Anyways, you kind of need a smart lawyer like Bettman there as disagreeable a profession as they are, there's a lot of sharks in the water such as Balsillie.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote