HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stralman arbitration hearing set for 7/28

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2010, 12:39 PM
  #26
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Last year was Stralman's first full year in the NHL. He went from a call up guy to 20 mins per game. That is a very difficult leap to make. Not that last year offered a lot of choices. He also endured a great deal of personal upheaval. Again not that others haven't it's just I think you need look at the overall circumstances. He brings skill to the position on a team that, as has been mentioned, doesn't have a lot to spare. The defensive aspects can be coached. I think he is another one of those guys that we need to see what the new staff can do to improve him. It think it is apparent that he is not a 20 min a night defenseman at this point but he does offer value to the team.

Roadman is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 12:59 PM
  #27
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,062
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Hopefully they can agree on something before the hearing.

Timeless Winter is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 01:07 PM
  #28
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
And this is all Stralman's fault?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I'm on record saying don't overpay Anton, but this stat? Do we have causal evidence?
All Stralman's fault? Please. No.

But when you're -16 on the road while you're team had 9 less points on the road, it was certainly a contributing factor. He was exposed on the road. We can try and say he'll do better this year. Who knows he might. But he's not very good in his own zone and his offense isn't good enough to make up for that, IMO.

We have a bunch of junk on defense. Please, let's just keep re-signing the same crap. I hate signing players based on desperation. "But OMG, he's like our best offensive dman. The team will just implode if we have 8 less PP goals over the course of the year. Nevermind that he'll be more or less responsible for additional 15 ES goals over a stronger defender. We must has him!".

Seriously if we're going to have a crappy defensive puck mover that can run the PP, you might as well develop Moore up here, after all Arniel is going to make all things young instantly awesome over night, for like 1/4 (or more) the price. Moore was already the best puck mover and second most mobile defender last year before we sent him back.

blahblah is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 01:11 PM
  #29
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
We have a bunch of junk on defense. Please, let's just keep re-signing the same crap. I hate signing players based on desperation. "But OMG, he's like our best offensive dman. The team will just implode if we have 8 less PP goals over the course of the year. Nevermind that he'll be more or less responsible for additional 15 ES goals over a stronger defender. We must has him!".
This. Stralman is a small piece who cannot be trusted at even strength.

Our offensive production is not the problem, especially when you consider that Nash had a down year and that Filatov/Brassard/Voracek should improve. Our weakness, by far, was our defense and goaltending. I'm in favor of improving our D at a slight expense to our offense.

Crede777 is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 01:36 PM
  #30
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
This. Stralman is a small piece who cannot be trusted at even strength.

Our offensive production is not the problem, especially when you consider that Nash had a down year and that Filatov/Brassard/Voracek should improve. Our weakness, by far, was our defense and goaltending. I'm in favor of improving our D at a slight expense to our offense.
I'm not sure our offense is as great as some believe--right now, we've got two lines that have any offensive skill and that is pretty easy for an opponent to defend, particularly on the road. For that matter, Torres was a solid power play contributor that someone is going to have to fill the void of.

As for Stralman, I think he's been overrated by many. He's a stop gap and nothing more, which is why I wouldn't want to give him any more than was given to Kris Russell and preferably less and a shorter term.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
  #31
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Last year was Stralman's first full year in the NHL. He went from a call up guy to 20 mins per game. He also endured a great deal of personal upheaval. He brings skill to the position on a team that, as has been mentioned, doesn't have a lot to spare.
really good points. Also, pretty similar to what Hainsey did. Ron was a waiver wire pick up from Montreal IIRC. I'm 100% OK with us having cut bait with Hainsey, seeing what he fetched, and I'd be OK cutting bait with Anton if he's awarded too much. I just thought we could determine how much is "too much" all things considered.

It sounds like those amongst us who'd like to see him back think 2-2.25mil range seems fair for what he brings and makes sense with respect to our budget. I don't think he's a guy we can afford to let go of this season. I think it could take 3mil for 1yr.

PCH is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
  #32
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,313
vCash: 500
Personally, I'm a Stralman fan so I'll suffice it to say this may be jaded.

For handling 20 min per game and scoring at a clip of 0.47 pts/game in his firts full time gig in the NHL I think he handled himself pretty well. He obviously needs some work in the defensive zone but so does every young d-man (or forward for that matter). He led the team in points from the back end and although his +/- on the road was abysmal it can be compensated for.

I thought he looked best early in the season and seemed to get more lost as the year went on. I think he's a valuable asset but in no way is he worth $3M per right now.

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 03:37 PM
  #33
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I think he's a valuable asset but in no way is he worth $3M per right now.
To play devil's advocate-why not?

If I were his agent, here are the reasons why I think he is worth $3M on a multi-year (to someone):

1. He's Young and injury free thus far
2. Puck moving/point getter (34 pts in 73 games)
3. He'll cut his +/- in half this season, only his 2nd in the NHL
4. If he repeats or improves on last season (a la Ron Hainsey) he'll be looking for 4+

Hainsey
2006-07 CLS 80 9 25 34 -19
2007-08 CLS 78 8 24 32 -7
**these are the numbers that landed hainsey an average of 4.5mil over 5 years, although that was in Atlanta (sorry, ATL)

Stralman
2009-10 CLS 73 6 28 34 -17

Again, it probably seems like I'm gung-ho to sign up Anton and give him whatever he wants-certainly not the case, I'm just making the argument that is likely being made on his behalf, and it's pretty strong.

I think this one may make it to arbitration, and possibly the team letting him walk. Truth told, I don't like that scenario much. Curious to see how shrewd Scotty can be in this situation. Also curious how anxious Anton is to ship off to another squad/city, with a new wife, baby, etc.

PCH is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:01 PM
  #34
rmp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
I doubt he's too anxious to leave. Columbus needs a power play Dman and there aren't many teams that have such a need that they'll overlook his defensive deficiences. He may have trouble finding another NHL home, for sure he won't find one that gives him the opportunity that Columbus does.
After toiling on the depth charts of Toronto and (briefly) Calgary, I hope whatever money he's asking for he gives consideration for Columbus finally giving him a chance to play quality minutes for a whole season.

rmp is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:02 PM
  #35
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
The team is going to say 1.5M. Strahlman is going to ask for 2.5M. The arbitrator will award between 1.75M-2.125M

And the reason Strahlman isn't making more than that is because he was horrible on defense last year. He's our worst defensive defender.

Gulvorn is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
  #36
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
...and while there's absolutely no question that Hainsey is significantly overpaid, I wouldn't say he's paid double what he's actually worth.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
  #37
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
The team is going to say 1.5M. Strahlman is going to ask for 2.5M. The arbitrator will award between 1.75M-2.125M
This would make me very happy indeed.

Viqsi is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:06 PM
  #38
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly
 
PCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I doubt he's too anxious to leave. Columbus needs a power play Dman and there aren't many teams that have such a need that they'll overlook his defensive deficiences. He may have trouble finding another NHL home, for sure he won't find one that gives him the opportunity that Columbus does.
Yea, I think Columbus is a good fit for him. If I was Stralman, I'd take $4mil total for 2 years and be happy. I think there are probably 1 or 2 teams that may be interested in him now, but you never know. He knows he has a team he can get some playing time with here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
After toiling on the depth charts of Toronto and (briefly) Calgary, I hope whatever money he's asking for he gives consideration for Columbus finally giving him a chance to play quality minutes for a whole season.
Let us not forget-Ron Hainsey was a waiver wire pick-up from MTL!

PCH is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
  #39
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
And the reason Strahlman isn't making more than that is because he was horrible on defense last year. He's our worst defensive defender.
And yet, Hainsey was even worse!

pete goegan is online now  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
  #40
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
And yet, Hainsey was even worse!
Hainsey was a -7 his last season with the Jackets (playing more minutes than Stralman). Stralman was a -17. The much maligned Kristian Backman (albeit with significantly less time on ice) was a +5 the prior season to really put into perspective Stralman's suckitude.

In 2008-09, Russell was worst on the blueline with a -10. Now some people are talking about giving Stralman $2 million plus based on one season in which he was a -17?!


CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
  #41
cpmCBJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
The blind faith in +/- being a reliable indicator of defensive ability is laughable.

cpmCBJ is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:39 PM
  #42
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
The blind faith in +/- being a reliable indicator of defensive ability is laughable.
Arbitrators tend to side more with teams than with players. All they have to do is say compare him to Russell who is making 1.3M and ask them how Strahlman is worth more when he's marginally better offensively (because of his right handed shot) yet even quite worse than Russell defensively.

Oh and plus/minus does mean things. It just isn't a great indicator because bad teams rack up a lot of minus' and good teams get a lot of pluses. But if you look at the teams themselves, Strahlman has the worst plus/minus on the whole team last year.

Compare to Russell who was a +3 with 7 goals and 15 assists playing in 70 games and 32 PIM
Strahlman was a -17 with 6 goals with 6 goals and 28 assists playing in 73 games and 37 PIM

So 1 less goal, 13 more assists is worth a lot more than 1.3M despite the fact that he was absolutely horribly defensively?


Last edited by Gulvorn: 07-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Gulvorn is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:41 PM
  #43
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,065
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Hainsey was a -7 his last season with the Jackets (playing more minutes than Stralman). Stralman was a -17. The much maligned Kristian Backman (albeit with significantly less time on ice) was a +5 the prior season to really put into perspective Stralman's suckitude.

In 2008-09, Russell was worst on the blueline with a -10. Now some people are talking about giving Stralman $2 million plus based on one season in which he was a -17?!

You wanna say his plus/minus again? I think I heard somebody say it was -15, maybe it's not being posted enough.

Plus/Minus doesn't do these guys justice. I'm not saying that the people who are throwing out his point totals are giving Stralman a fair shake.

But just for comparisons sake, here's what plus minus would look like if we included all the goals they were on ice for. (the last column is PP Goals by the other team)

FORWARDS
NameEV GFPP GFEV GAPP GAAdj. +-
Russell451442314
Stralman383455512
Clitsome1111002
Tyutin54346127E
Jurcina130113-1
Paetsch0250-3
Roy181207-8
Klesla1932611-15
Methot4104918-26
Commodore3724422-29
Hejda3725125-37

What does this mean...Stralman isn't going to be winning the Norris Trophy but he certainly is adding value. I'd love a lineup full of one-dimensional defensive defensemen as much as anybody but teams need guys like Stralman,

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.

Last edited by Samkow: 07-13-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Samkow is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:47 PM
  #44
Gulvorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio St/Cincy/Dayton
Country: United States
Posts: 4,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
You wanna say his plus/minus again? I think I heard somebody say it was -15, maybe it's not being posted enough.

Plus/Minus doesn't do these guys justice. I'm not saying that the people who are throwing out his point totals are giving Stralman a fair shake.

But just for comparisons sake, here's what plus minus would look like if we included all the goals they were on ice for. (the last column is PP Goals by the other team)

FORWARDS
NameEV GFPP GFEV GAPP GAAdj. +-
Russell451442314
Stralman383455512
Clitsome1111002
Tyutin54346127E
Jurcina130113-1
Paetsch0250-3
Roy181207-8
Klesla1932611-15
Methot4104918-26
Commodore3724422-29
Hejda3725125-37

What does this mean...Stralman isn't going to be winning the Norris Trophy but he certainly is adding value. I'd love a lineup full of one-dimensional defensive defensemen as much as anybody but teams need guys like Stralman,
No offense but the power play goals on ice is misleading because Strahlman basically played on the ice for the full 2 minutes and Russell would maybe get 30 seconds out there occasionally. And how can you count power play goals against? Obviously our defensive defenders are going to be out there and are going to take minus' because teams typically score on the power play.

Gulvorn is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 05:49 PM
  #45
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,065
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulvorn View Post
No offense but the power play goals on ice is misleading because Strahlman basically played on the ice for the full 2 minutes and Russell would maybe get 30 seconds out there occasionally.
Stralman averaged 3:36 PP TOI a game, Russell, 2:29.

So true, to an extent.

Samkow is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
  #46
Ludicrous Speed
Registered User
 
Ludicrous Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Killumbus
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 11,061
vCash: 500
Stralman is worth $1.7-2.2 million IMO. 2.3-2.5 would be overpayment, but I could live with it, and anything over that isn't worth our trouble.

Ludicrous Speed is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
  #47
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmCBJ View Post
The blind faith in +/- being a reliable indicator of defensive ability is laughable.
Who's talking "blind faith"? It is one indicator. The other would be my own two eyes. Stralman is routinely caught out of position and has to be bailed out by his defensive partner. To the point where when I saw and odd man rush in the latter parts of the season I fully expected to see Stralman out of position on the replay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
You wanna say his plus/minus again? I think I heard somebody say it was -15, maybe it's not being posted enough.

Plus/Minus doesn't do these guys justice. I'm not saying that the people who are throwing out his point totals are giving Stralman a fair shake.

But just for comparisons sake, here's what plus minus would look like if we included all the goals they were on ice for. (the last column is PP Goals by the other team)

FORWARDS
NameEV GFPP GFEV GAPP GAAdj. +-
Russell451442314
Stralman383455512
Clitsome1111002
Tyutin54346127E
Jurcina130113-1
Paetsch0250-3
Roy181207-8
Klesla1932611-15
Methot4104918-26
Commodore3724422-29
Hejda3725125-37

What does this mean...Stralman isn't going to be winning the Norris Trophy but he certainly is adding value. I'd love a lineup full of one-dimensional defensive defensemen as much as anybody but teams need guys like Stralman,
Thanks for the graph proving my point. Who was "better" based on your own graph, Russell or Stralman?

So, why should Anton Stralman get paid more than Kris Russell based on one season? Particularly on a team where 4 defenseman are signed through 2011/12 and there are an abundance of young prospects in Springfield starting this fall?

CapnCornelius is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:21 PM
  #48
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 14,065
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Who's talking "blind faith"? It is one indicator. The other would be my own two eyes. Stralman is routinely caught out of position and has to be bailed out by his defensive partner. To the point where when I saw and odd man rush in the latter parts of the season I fully expected to see Stralman out of position on the replay.



Thanks for the graph proving my point. Who was "better" based on your own graph, Russell or Stralman?

So, why should Anton Stralman get paid more than Kris Russell based on one season? Particularly on a team where 4 defenseman are signed through 2011/12 and there are an abundance of young prospects in Springfield starting this fall?
You're the one adding the part about him getting paid more then Russell. (Although I also do enjoy putting words in people's mouths).

I posted that to show that Stralman isn't some Hitch-hater who is Andy Delmore: Redux.

Samkow is offline  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
  #49
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Who's talking "blind faith"? It is one indicator. The other would be my own two eyes. Stralman is routinely caught out of position and has to be bailed out by his defensive partner. To the point where when I saw and odd man rush in the latter parts of the season I fully expected to see Stralman out of position on the replay.
It's so rare that I agree with you, but this is one of those times. I saw the same things out of Strahlman that you did; where we differ, however, is that my two eyes told me that Hainsey was even worse.

pete goegan is online now  
Old
07-13-2010, 06:40 PM
  #50
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
You're the one adding the part about him getting paid more then Russell. (Although I also do enjoy putting words in people's mouths).

I posted that to show that Stralman isn't some Hitch-hater who is Andy Delmore: Redux.
Speaking of putting word's in people's mouths, perhaps you should show me where I, the person you responded to, said anything to that effect?



Me: Now some people are talking about giving Stralman $2 million plus based on one season in which he was a -17?!
You: Plus/Minus doesn't do these guys justice. Here's a better measure...
Me: ...which shows Stralman as no better than the guy getting paid $1.3 million.

I really don't care how we arrive at the point, it remains the same--Anton Stralman isn't worth $2 million.

CapnCornelius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.