HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Dan Carcillo to 1-year deal worth $1.075 mill

Old
07-13-2010, 01:47 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
With Cote gone, the Flyers have 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies at about $1.95 million over the cap.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:51 PM
turkinaa

I'm more upset that it's only a 1 year deal, which means we're going to have him come up again next year while we have Shelley for 3 total years.

Either way it does smell like a trade has to be coming real soon.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Garbage Goal

Everything just keeps on coming back to the Shelley signing.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Everything just keeps on coming back to the Shelley signing.
Shellys was bad but 4 mil, 3rd pairing Meszaros is hurting us alot also

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
No way in hell Meszaros is 3rd pairing FYI.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, he is. The team was worse defensively with him on the ice in each of the last 2 years.
This is true, but you're being unduly harsh to him. The first year was his rookie year, and last year he was a 2.59 GAON guy, which isn't terrible and represented an improvement over the year before. He's still early in his career, and should improve defensively as he goes along.

He also suffers from linemates. His most common line last year? Playing with Asham and JVR (17.14%). A full 14% of his shifts was on the 1st and 2nd lines (which is over his head). 5.86% with Giroux and JVR, so on and so forth. Powe is a 4th liner, and needs to be played as such.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
It's either 4M Meszaros on the 3rd pairing, or 3.2/3.4M Coburn/Carle on the 3rd pairing. Either way, we're overpaying for that roster spot.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I definitely agree. I think Meszaros is definitely the worst move of our off-season. However, the Shelley signing is the one that keeps getting talked about by fans for some reason.

Quote:
We have five top four d-men and Meszaros is the new guy so logic and reality dictate that Meszaros, or at the very least some other top four d-man, will be playing on our third pairing. Which is retarded.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU SUCK BIG ONES.

That being said, then its either Coburn or Carle then

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
I definitely agree. I think Meszaros is definitely the worst move of our off-season. However, the Shelley signing is the one that keeps getting talked about by fans for some reason.
shelley is far less useful than meszaros, imo, so it bothers me more. im not all peaches and cream over meszaros though.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:07 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Trade coming?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol at people saying trade coming. Uhhh, how else are we going to magically lose 2 million in cap space

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:11 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I'm more upset that it's only a 1 year deal, which means we're going to have him come up again next year while we have Shelley for 3 total years.

Either way it does smell like a trade has to be coming real soon.
Nah, he will be traded by the deadline. Then a year later Shooter will overpay in a trade for a similiar player saying the teams lacks this type of player.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Atta Carbomb, there was no way the organization was letting him go.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Another season of fantastic photoshops awaits us.

For that reason alone -- solid deal.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Atta Carbomb, there was no way the organization was letting him go.
Depending on arbitration award.... I think it was quite likely he wasn't going to be here.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
shelley is far less useful than meszaros, imo, so it bothers me more. im not all peaches and cream over meszaros though.
Shelley is far less useful, but the Meszaros trade is costing us a hell of a lot more and having a hell of a lot more ramifications.

Shelley could actually fill the role of 13th forward well, his cap hit just sucks. Even despite the fact that his cap hit does suck, it's still only 1.1 mil. That's only about 300k more then any decent 13th forward would cost.

Meszaros doesn't really have a useful role on this team because we already had four top-four d-men before we traded for him. So now he's just kind of excess.

A cap hit of 4 mil is also a hell of a lot tougher to fit into a team then 1.1 mil. If you think about it, Meszaros' cap hit is probably going to cost us whoever we end up trading to get under the cap (let's just say it's Gagne). So, in the end, Meszaros is likely going to end up costing Gagne (or whoever else gets traded) plus our only 2nd rounder and maybe our shot at signing an actual starter. That sucks balls.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Shelley is far less useful, but the Meszaros trade is costing us a hell of a lot more and having a hell of a lot more ramifications.

Shelley could actually fill the role of 13th forward well, his cap hit just sucks. Even despite the fact that his cap hit does suck, it's still only 1.1 mil. That's only about 300k more then any decent 13th forward would cost.

Meszaros doesn't really have a useful role on this team because we already had four top-four d-men before we traded for him. So now he's just kind of excess.

A cap hit of 4 mil is also a hell of a lot tougher to fit into a team then 1.1 mil. If you think about it, Meszaros' cap hit is probably going to cost us whoever we end up trading to get under the cap (let's just say it's Gagne). So, in the end, Meszaros is likely going to end up costing Gagne (or whoever else gets traded) plus our only 2nd rounder and maybe our shot at signing an actual starter. That sucks balls.
Yeah, we should have just rolled with an O'Donnell-type and Bartulis (hell, we should have re-signed Parent...cuz Hamhuis was equally overkill on D if you're not going to move one of Carle/Coburn). Then our third pairing is nice and cheap, you have some space under the cap... and you can look for a deadline acquisition to help out the third pairing if it falters.

'Course, we also shouldn't have signed Leighton when we did, so really it remains an idiotic offseason.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yeah, we should have just rolled with an O'Donnell-type and Bartulis (hell, we should have re-signed Parent...cuz Hamhuis was equally overkill on D if you're not going to move one of Carle/Coburn). Then our third pairing is nice and cheap, you have some space under the cap... and you can look for a deadline acquisition to help out the third pairing if it falters.

'Course, we also shouldn't have signed Leighton when we did, so really it remains an idiotic offseason.
I definitely agree with all of that.

The thing with the Shelley and Leighton signings is that, even though they were idiotic, they were below 1 mil in over-payment. Shelley by about 300k and Leighton by about 600k. That's not hard to fit under the cap.

So even despite all the idiocy, if Homer never trades for Meszaros (or over-spends on the third pairing) then he could actually get away with all the other stupid crap he pulled and the team would most likely be fine.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Terence Peterman

This deal isn't terrible, but every time I think about our offseason I really want to punch a kid. Hard. Really ****in hard.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Flyers are putting alot of pressure on JvR this upcoming season... He has to step up big time
It is time we stop feeding JVR milk and cookies. He really needs to show marked improvement over last year. I just pray he is not a mama's boy like 88 and gets with the program. We need him big time this coming season and I hope he comes through.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Good Deal for both parties. Glad to see Carcillo coming back. Upset to see Shelly on the payroll.
They can always waive Shelley.

More signings like this just keep pointing me to the fact that Gagne is gone.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It is time we stop feeding JVR milk and cookies. He really needs to show marked improvement over last year. I just pray he is not a mama's boy like 88 and gets with the program. We need him big time this coming season and I hope he comes through.
It's funny that, when you think about, trading Hartnell or Gagne would be the best thing for JVR's development. As is, JVR is going to be stuck behind those two on our third line again if neither Hartnell or Gagne get moved. If Gagne gets moved then we lose our best winger though...so it's kind of a double-edged sword there.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is true, but you're being unduly harsh to him. The first year was his rookie year, and last year he was a 2.59 GAON guy, which isn't terrible and represented an improvement over the year before. He's still early in his career, and should improve defensively as he goes along.

He also suffers from linemates. His most common line last year? Playing with Asham and JVR (17.14%). A full 14% of his shifts was on the 1st and 2nd lines (which is over his head). 5.86% with Giroux and JVR, so on and so forth. Powe is a 4th liner, and needs to be played as such.
I actually think his hands are bad enough that he hurts us in the defensive zone as well. He can't really pass or receive a pass, so we have a much harder time getting clean outlets when he's on the ice.

I just don't really see a spot for him right now, I'd rather see what one of the college kids can do tbh.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Pressure, how so? Do you want them to play him 4th line minutes? It's time to play and produce like the second overall pick. What's so terrible about that?
IMO he still isint ready, but i hope he scores 20 this year... He is constentatly is working out and trying to muscle up though.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote