HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Dan Carcillo to 1-year deal worth $1.075 mill

Old
07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Shelley is far less useful, but the Meszaros trade is costing us a hell of a lot more and having a hell of a lot more ramifications.

Shelley could actually fill the role of 13th forward well, his cap hit just sucks. Even despite the fact that his cap hit does suck, it's still only 1.1 mil. That's only about 300k more then any decent 13th forward would cost.

Meszaros doesn't really have a useful role on this team because we already had four top-four d-men before we traded for him. So now he's just kind of excess.

A cap hit of 4 mil is also a hell of a lot tougher to fit into a team then 1.1 mil. If you think about it, Meszaros' cap hit is probably going to cost us whoever we end up trading to get under the cap (let's just say it's Gagne). So, in the end, Meszaros is likely going to end up costing Gagne (or whoever else gets traded) plus our only 2nd rounder and maybe our shot at signing an actual starter. That sucks balls.
Kind of excess?! Our 5th and 6th d sucked. Everytime they were on the ice the other team got jacked up. Say what you want our top four were gased in the finals. We can now mix match and roll out three pair and keep everyone fresh.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Love it.

We would have missed Carcillo's physical presence on the forecheck. If we moved Carle and Boosh and acquired Turco I think I'd be fine with our offseason. Shelley isn't really necessary but most teams are carrying a useless heavyweight, ours will be a little more useful than most of them. I guess that's a "glass half full approach."

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Well............ ****.....

Please for the love of **** waive Shelley now. We have NO USE FOR HIS ASS!

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It is time we stop feeding JVR milk and cookies. He really needs to show marked improvement over last year. I just pray he is not a mama's boy like 88 and gets with the program. We need him big time this coming season and I hope he comes through.
JVR was 8th overall in rookie scoring.
JVR was 71st overall in rookie ATOI.

JVR was 8th overall in rookie ES goals.
JVR was 75th overall in rookie ES TOI.

JVR was 10th overall in rookie PP points.
JVR was 46th overall in rookie PP ATOI.

I think it's time we slow down on the JVR was a disappointment tack.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Kind of excess?! Our 5th and 6th d sucked. Everytime they were on the ice the other team got jacked up. Say what you want our top four were gased in the finals. We can now mix match and roll out three pair and keep everyone fresh.
Then let Bartulis develop on the 3rd pairing with a vet and make a deal during the course of the year if the 3rd pairing isn't where you need it. You don't need to solve your 3rd pairing by July 1st... you really don't. Especially when you don't have a legitimate starting goalie in the first place... 3rd pairing looks a lot better if they're backed up by a better goalie.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I actually think his hands are bad enough that he hurts us in the defensive zone as well. He can't really pass or receive a pass, so we have a much harder time getting clean outlets when he's on the ice.

I just don't really see a spot for him right now, I'd rather see what one of the college kids can do tbh.
For how cheap I would expect Powe to be (cheaper than the college kids), I'd prefer to have him signed. If he doesn't make the team, or gets outplayed... waive him. His hands aren't great, but he hits and hustles and chips in some goals... and is improving. He's also a quality PKer.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:45 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
We would have missed Carcillo's physical presence on the forecheck. If we moved Carle and Boosh and acquired Turco I think I'd be fine with our offseason. Shelley isn't really necessary but most teams are carrying a useless heavyweight, ours will be a little more useful than most of them. I guess that's a "glass half full approach."
What irritates me was that Carcillo was at his best while playing on the 4th line... they were really effective together. So, does Shelley move to the 3rd line (as per Holmgren's idiotic comment)?

Old
07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
What irritates me was that Carcillo was at his best while playing on the 4th line... they were really effective together. So, does Shelley move to the 3rd line (as per Holmgren's idiotic comment)?

Agreed, Dan was a beast when he was alongside BB. I'd much rather see him on lines 3-4 as opposed to alongside Richie.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
JABEE

How many more years are you going to keep Giroux on a line with poor wingers. Giroux should be up with the Gagne, Briere or Leino not Asham and Shelley. If Giroux is third line center with Shelley on one side and a minor league player this year it will be a disgrace.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
How many more years are you going to keep Giroux on a line with poor wingers. Giroux should be up with the Gagne, Briere or Leino not Asham and Shelley. If Giroux is third line center with Shelley on one side and a minor league player this year it will be a disgrace.
Very little critical thinking appears to go into overall lineup construction.

Old
07-13-2010, 02:57 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
JVR was 8th overall in rookie scoring.
JVR was 71st overall in rookie ATOI.

JVR was 8th overall in rookie ES goals.
JVR was 75th overall in rookie ES TOI.

JVR was 10th overall in rookie PP points.
JVR was 46th overall in rookie PP ATOI.

I think it's time we slow down on the JVR was a disappointment tack.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
For how cheap I would expect Powe to be (cheaper than the college kids), I'd prefer to have him signed. If he doesn't make the team, or gets outplayed... waive him. His hands aren't great, but he hits and hustles and chips in some goals... and is improving. He's also a quality PKer.
Eh? I'm guessing they'd be around the same amount. Testwuide is at .900 (including bonuses), Holmstrom would be .75.

The problem (again) is that Homer has absolutely no plan here. With the money he gave Shelley, I assumed Shelley would be a 4th line wing. But now we're resigning Carcillo, but we're also going to try to have 3 scoring lines.

But we just saw that although Carcillo can be useful, he can't consistently play on a scoring line, he's not an Upshall even. We could have gone 1 of 2 directions here...

1) Sign a 3rd line C (Belanger for sake of argument), resign Carcillo, keep Gagne.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Belanger-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Laperriere

2) Try to roll 3 scoring lines with players that might have some scoring touch.

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Zherdev-Richards-Tanguay (just a hypothetical, he signed for 1.7)
Carcillo-Betts-Laperriere

Basically, in the first scenario, we stack the top-6, have a 3rd line that could potentially chip in a bit, and a good 4th. Second scenario, we essentially try to win every game 5-4. Both are strategies, I personally think the 2nd one would be foolhardy, but we've apparently committed to the 3 scoring line strategy.

But instead, we've jumped off of WTF Mountain. We are somehow going to keep the Briere line (which I disagree with), while drastically downgrading our 4th line (which I disagree with), while probably putting one of our best ES guys (Richards) with 1 guy who can't play offense and 1 guy who refuses to play defense.

In and of itself, I like the Carcillo signing, but considering we're going to be rolling 3 scoring lines (which I disagree with), it's sheer idiocy to have 4 (and possibly 5) players in your top-6 who are non-factors offensively.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Garbage Goal

That's another thing with this off-season, Homer had to commit to either 3 scoring lines or the traditional two scoring lines, a checking line, and a grinding line. He didn't do either so now we'll probably have guys like Carcillo playing with our skill guys...again. It doesn't make any sense. Since he's not committing to either plan we just kind of have a cluster-**** at forward.

Shame of it is that, if Homer didn't over-pay for Shelley and Leighton and didn't trade for Meszaros, then I think it was actually possible to have three actual scoring lines this coming season and still have enough cap room for an actual starter.

Gagne-Richards-Zherdev
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy

Turco/Mason
Ellis/Leighton/Boucher

That would have been a terrific lineup and I honestly can't think of any other team that can or could have pulled off three actual scoring lines like that.

That's all in the past though because Homer ****ed it all up now that we'll likely have to trade Gagne or Hartnell.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
So, does Shelley move to the 3rd line (as per Holmgren's idiotic comment)?
wait! what?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:14 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
It is time we stop feeding JVR milk and cookies. He really needs to show marked improvement over last year. I just pray he is not a mama's boy like 88 and gets with the program. We need him big time this coming season and I hope he comes through.
Uhhh, what? I see that Jester has since responded with the cold hard facts for ya, but you honestly have no idea what the development curve for his player type is and no eye for skills if you think last year was a disappointment. He'll get more playing time, and I do think he's ready for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's funny that, when you think about, trading Hartnell or Gagne would be the best thing for JVR's development. As is, JVR is going to be stuck behind those two on our third line again if neither Hartnell or Gagne get moved. If Gagne gets moved then we lose our best winger though...so it's kind of a double-edged sword there.
It is a tough situation. Hartnell's not the same player as we saw in the regular season, and never consistently the player we saw in the playoffs either, but Gagne's cap hit makes him the much better trade candidate. Moving up a slot in the depth chart is really something that I'd rather JVR earn than be given, but as I said before, I think he's ready for the playing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I actually think his hands are bad enough that he hurts us in the defensive zone as well. He can't really pass or receive a pass, so we have a much harder time getting clean outlets when he's on the ice.

I just don't really see a spot for him right now, I'd rather see what one of the college kids can do tbh.
Thought you were talkinag about Hartnell for that part.

Now that Shelley is likely to occupy that 4th line spot (or 13th on some nights) I find it hard to fit Powe. I do like his energy game, but there's no denying that he's not a great defensive player. I'm wary of giving any of the college guys a shot because of how difficult the adjustment to the pro level can be in terms of speed and number of games. Usually I'd say a guy coming out of NCAA could use at least a year of AHL even if they're physically NHL-ready.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Kaktus*

I am glad we re-signed him.

Mad-man made real progress last year and was outstanding in playoffs.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Garbage Goal

I like Asham far better over Powe or Shelley. I don't know how much it would have taken to sign Asham, but I know for certain that it wouldn't have cost as much as Shelley does (especially since Asham still doesn't have a job...).

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:26 PM
DenverBoone

Let's give it time. You can't argue with results, so lets see how next season plays out before we vilify everybody.

Who knows, maybe Shelley will find that extra gear and contribute?

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:29 PM
JSTAFF

I'm glad we signed him. Good price. A damn crying shame he got less than Superstar though.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Mgkibbles

Wasn't sure I wanted Carcillo back, but if hes only making a tad over 1 million thats too good for the Flyers to pass up.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:33 PM
mypunkrock

Powe > Shelley

Sign Powe, waive Shelley. Although it would suck if some team picks up Shelley and we owe 550k on him...

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
wait! what?
2 goals in the last 2 games. He's clearly breaking out. Give that man PP time!

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Powe > Shelley

Sign Powe, waive Shelley. Although it would suck if some team picks up Shelley and we owe 550k on him...
Powe>Carcillo>Shelley

I'm really not sure why Powe is slowly becoming the odd man out.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:42 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol at people saying trade coming. Uhhh, how else are we going to magically lose 2 million in cap space
Yeah It's a bit obvious isn't it. Don't worry, when it happens we will all claim to have predicted it.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Nice. I was worried we'd have to deal with Carcillo on another team. He's that Sean Avery type player that other teams HATE to play against. I just wish it was a longer contract so I could feel comfortable getting a Carcillo jersey. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote