HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Spain vs Netherlands

Old
07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
How much soccer do you actually watch?
I watch a ton and played even more.....Without having to tell where I played before retiring do to illness (cancer) I played some very good football.

In any event if you are a fan of Spain or Holland I'm sure you're opinion of the game is much different then mine and that's okay.

The end result is this game is it did not live up to expectation and did not win over any NEW fans.

Congrats to Spain......

The football in this World cup was sub par to previous years.

There were too many cinderalla's in this years tournament and too many games decided by poor officiating.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 10:28 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
The football in this World cup was sub par to previous years
Having seen every single game of the last two WC, I definitely have to agree with this.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Fifthgear

Congrats for spain for their Win in the World Cup of Africa

Congrats for spain for their Win in the World Cup of Africa!
Viva Espana! Viva Paul the Octopus!

Fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:49 PM
linp

Just remember one thing. Iniesta got a yellow for fouling van Bommel. He got another yellow after he scored. How come he was allowed to continue to play. The Dutch should request the game to be replayed.

linp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I watch a ton and played even more.....Without having to tell where I played before retiring do to illness (cancer) I played some very good football.

In any event if you are a fan of Spain or Holland I'm sure you're opinion of the game is much different then mine and that's okay.

The end result is this game is it did not live up to expectation and did not win over any NEW fans.

Congrats to Spain......

The football in this World cup was sub par to previous years.

There were too many cinderalla's in this years tournament and too many games decided by poor officiating.
i'd be interested to know if one of those games decided by poor officiating was the final, in your opinion.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by linp View Post
Just remember one thing. Iniesta got a yellow for fouling van Bommel. He got another yellow after he scored. How come he was allowed to continue to play. The Dutch should request the game to be replayed.
Iniesta was not yellow carded for fouling Van Bommel, he was talked to and warned.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:56 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
i'd be interested to know if one of those games decided by poor officiating was the final, in your opinion.
If the game was refereed like a regular game and not a World Cup final, De Jong would have been sent off straight away for the studs first at upper chest level tackle on Xavi Alonso, Van Bommel would have received two yellows and would have been sent off for repeated dirty play and fouling, Robben would have received his second yellow for kicking the ball into the net deliberately and been sent off, etc.. that would have been fun for Dutch fans.

You could I guess argue that Iniesta deserved at least a yellow for retribution on Van Bommel off the ball, I would argue a red, but that still leaves you 10 men for Spain against 7-8 for the Dutch, lol.

BTW, the Dutch admitted after what was painfully obvious to many, their strategy was to repeatedly foul the spanish midfielders when they got the ball and slow the play down.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Iniesta was not yellow carded for fouling Van Bommel, he was talked to and warned.
Yep, no yellow for Iniesta other than after the goal.

http://g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/...-spain-64.html

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well right off the bat, and I forget the culprits name but the Karate drop kick to the chest should have been a automatic RED card and the Dutch should have been down a man at that point. That being said the Spaniards did a lot of needless diving and selling the infractions.

It's a tough sport to be a ref at. If you think of other sports the use two Referees plus linesman, heck even in basket ball they use a ref at each end of the court.

Lets not forget the instant replays to help the refs out in other sports.

Football needs to catch up when it comes to this.

Things like Questional goals allowed or disallowed by an offside should go to instant replay
A two ref system or allow linesman to call the diving and infractions would help the Head ref.

But in this World cup particularly the Refs were horrible, mostly due to the fact that each nation needed to be represented rather then just having the best refs, period!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
couris

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:43 PM
habtastic

meh....Robben should have won it.

Iniesta was pathetic in his attempts to draw fouls and while def yes, the kick to Alonso's chest was red-card worthy, Heittinga's second yellow was the biggest BS ever considering Puyol clearly impeded Robben on his second choke.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:09 PM
JrHockeyFan

3rd place game was a much more entertaining and cleaner game

Mueller and Forlan were fun to watch

Not a memorable final to watch but I am sure Spaniards everywhere were happy anyway

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
3rd place game was a much more entertaining and cleaner game

Mueller and Forlan were fun to watch

Not a memorable final to watch but I am sure Spaniards everywhere were happy anyway
I thoroughly enjoyed the Germany-Uruguay game. My family-in-law was jabbing away at me when Uruguay took a 2-1 lead, but I was the last one laughing. I just wish Klose would have played a bit cleaner during the Spain game. He was going in way too hard sometimes for those tackles and every time he was called for a foul, my stomach clenched.

And believe me, I spent the day on Saint-Laurent, near the Spanish club. After they won, EVERYONE was going completely insane. Bottles of champagne were being opened up and sprayed on everyone and chugged in the middle of the street, people were dancing, laughing and crying and everyone with a car that held a Spanish flag was bombarded with Spanish fans, smacking their windows and getting them to honk their horns. Truly a fun time I had with everyone.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:26 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the Germany-Uruguay game. My family-in-law was jabbing away at me when Uruguay took a 2-1 lead, but I was the last one laughing. I just wish Klose would have played a bit cleaner during the Spain game. He was going in way too hard sometimes for those tackles and every time he was called for a foul, my stomach clenched.

And believe me, I spent the day on Saint-Laurent, near the Spanish club. After they won, EVERYONE was going completely insane. Bottles of champagne were being opened up and sprayed on everyone and chugged in the middle of the street, people were dancing, laughing and crying and everyone with a car that held a Spanish flag was bombarded with Spanish fans, smacking their windows and getting them to honk their horns. Truly a fun time I had with everyone.
I would seriously love to see a semi final replay of Spain and Germany with Mueller in the lineup. I thought his second yellow for a hand ball vs Argentina was bogus anyway seeing as Messi hand balled before kicking it at Mueller seconds later

Oevil and Mueller made some great plays together. Mueller might have made a difference against Spain

Amazing how many starters Germany had out for the 3rd place game. No Podolski, Klose, Lahm or Neuer (although Butt played terrific)

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote