HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Dan Carcillo to 1-year deal worth $1.075 mill

Old
07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
mypunkrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Powe>Carcillo>Shelley

I'm really not sure why Powe is slowly becoming the odd man out.
Because he isn't flashy or a fan favorite. The guy put up 15 points playing predominantly on the fourth line. Carcillo put up 22 playing a lot of time on the first line.

Carcillo is a pest, but Powe is the type of player every team needs. High energy, defensively responsibly forechecker who can play multiple forward positions and pk.

Zherdev basically put Powe out of the lineup, since I see the current gig being:

Gags - Richie - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
JvR - Carter - Giroux
Carcillo - Betts - Lappy
Powe/Shelley/Nodl

I'd rather have JvR on the first line, Carcillo on the third, and Powe on the fourth. But this is what happens I suppose.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:55 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Because he isn't flashy or a fan favorite. The guy put up 15 points playing predominantly on the fourth line. Carcillo put up 22 playing a lot of time on the first line.

Carcillo is a pest, but Powe is the type of player every team needs. High energy, defensively responsibly forechecker who can play multiple forward positions and pk.

Zherdev basically put Powe out of the lineup, since I see the current gig being:

Gags - Richie - Zherdev
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
JvR - Carter - Giroux
Carcillo - Betts - Lappy
Powe/Shelley/Nodl

I'd rather have JvR on the first line, Carcillo on the third, and Powe on the fourth. But this is what happens I suppose.
I think I found your problem ...

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:58 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I think I found your problem ...
Our lineup is way better with Gagne in it than out of it. That's the reason I see a defenseman being moved instead of him.

If Gagne is moved, I don't know who they move up that is defensively responsible enough at wing.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Our lineup is way better with Gagne in it than out of it. That's the reason I see a defenseman being moved instead of him.

If Gagne is moved, I don't know who they move up that is defensively responsible enough at wing.
You're right.

Only problem is that you're not accounting for Holmgren, who has decided to turn this offseason into the most complex problem ever.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
JVR was 8th overall in rookie scoring.
JVR was 71st overall in rookie ATOI.

JVR was 8th overall in rookie ES goals.
JVR was 75th overall in rookie ES TOI.

JVR was 10th overall in rookie PP points.
JVR was 46th overall in rookie PP ATOI.

I think it's time we slow down on the JVR was a disappointment tack.
This changes my perspective. wow.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Terence Peterman

I want to know why Paul Holmgren hates Mike Richards so much he insists on finding ways to not give him two capable wingers.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
This changes my perspective. wow.
JVR had a very solid rookie season, playing for a team with a lot of forward depth. It's tough to put up big numbers when you have good players above you on the depth chart. He certainly has areas to improve, and he absolutely hit the wall midway through the season. He had 3 goals, 0 assists in the final 28 games of the season (some of that was bad luck, some of it was that he was playing the most grueling hockey schedule of his life). In the first 50 games of the season he put up 31 pts and was near the top in rookie scoring.

There was a lot to like about his rookie year, and every reason to believe he's going to have a VERY strong NHL career as he grows into his frame (it's tough to play a big man's game as a young player in the NHL because you're way behind the muscle development of well-trained professionals).

It may take another year or two, however, for him to really blow up. Even Vinny didn't break 30 goals until he was 22.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:27 PM
CerpinTaxt

Just watched some of Carcillos goal highlights on the Flyerstv website. He had some pretty goals against Carolina and Toronto.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:29 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
It's either 4M Meszaros on the 3rd pairing, or 3.2/3.4M Coburn/Carle on the 3rd pairing. Either way, we're overpaying for that roster spot.
It's neither. It's a guy they think could replace Timonen in a couple of seasons for 4 years/$4M.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
JVR was 8th overall in rookie scoring.
JVR was 71st overall in rookie ATOI.

JVR was 8th overall in rookie ES goals.
JVR was 75th overall in rookie ES TOI.

JVR was 10th overall in rookie PP points.
JVR was 46th overall in rookie PP ATOI.

I think it's time we slow down on the JVR was a disappointment tack.
Where did you find these stats? I would be interested to see how he stacked up against other big time rookies.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
How is it that Carcillo's stat of drawing 43 minors versus taking 17 is never reported and is totally foreign to the average fan? That's third best in the damn league.

That's 26 net PPs for a team with a wickedly efficient PP. That directly led to us winning games, all of which were necessary for this team to even make the playoffs.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Zherdev-Richards-Carcillo
JVR-Carter-Giroux
Shelly-Betts-Lappy
Powe

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'D

Turco
Leighton

I do feel bad for Richards though. If Zherdev plays lazy and Carcillo plays like Carcillo, that line is gonna suck

Meszaros is not a third pairing defenseman. Timonen and Meszaros is a fantastic 2nd paring. No way he plays fewer minutes than Coburn (I hope)

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:

Agreed. Carle must be the one to go. No way they trade Timmonen, Pronger, Coburn, Meszaros or O'Donnell. Pronger/Meszaros as your 1st pairing would be horrendous to play against.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
How is it that Carcillo's stat of drawing 43 minors versus taking 17 is never reported and is totally foreign to the average fan? That's third best in the damn league.

That's 26 net PPs for a team with a wickedly efficient PP. That directly led to us winning games, all of which were necessary for this team to even make the playoffs.
Read the big logo at the top of this page and there is your answer. Sometimes it boggles my mind how some people get to 5-10,000 posts and seriously don't know a damn thing about the sport they claim to love. This site is full of a bunch of sheep that read things from other idiots and take it as a fact instead of actually using their brain. Example: Zherdev will wear #99. I was in the main board a week or two ago and a thread was started about who was the most likely to be the first person called for a blindside hit to the head. You would be shocked at the amount of people that are sure it will be Carter. Morons.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Where did you get this stat? Im actually more interested in the rest of the team compared to him. Its pretty easy to get pp time when you agitate people. Avery does the same thing.

The thing is though the guy IS NOT a top 9 player and thats sadly where he will be playing. He just isnt. Plain and simple (not talking to you directly). Im fine with him on a 4th line but the guy is just crazy. If he isnt put on a damn leash and held back at full force he is causing a problem for your team. See the last Stanely Cup finals and yearly suspensions.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I gotta tell you, this team is looking good even if Gagne just gets dumped for salary and we sign Turco at around $2.0 mil. I know everyone is condemning this team and the GM and saying that the Flyers will probably have to move out of Philadelphia because they are going to win maybe one game this season, but take a look at this potential lineup, assuming Turco is signed...

2010-11 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Jeff Carter ($5.000m) / Claude Giroux ($0.822m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m)
* Darroll Powe ($0.820m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Ian Laperriere ($1.167m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.438m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Sean O\'Donnell ($1.300m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
* Marty Turco ($2.000m) / Michael Leighton ($1.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.930m; CAP ROOM: $1.408m; BONUSES: $0.938m

That's $1.5 mil in cap space and a pretty mean looking team. It's not time to jump ship just quite yet.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Where did you get this stat? Im actually more interested in the rest of the team compared to him. Its pretty easy to get pp time when you agitate people. Avery does the same thing.
Behindthenet.ca is amazing. If you don't read it, then you are going to be woefully unprepared to argue hockey. Your eyes lie. Facts don't. It's actually 42, not 43. But, still...

Screenshot_82.jpg

Old
07-13-2010, 05:16 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:

The thing is though the guy IS NOT a top 9 player and thats sadly where he will be playing. He just isnt. Plain and simple (not talking to you directly). Im fine with him on a 4th line but the guy is just crazy. If he isnt put on a damn leash and held back at full force he is causing a problem for your team. See the last Stanely Cup finals and yearly suspensions.
I dont like Carcillo, but if we didnt roll 3 scoring lines he could be a 3rd line player

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I gotta tell you, this team is looking good even if Gagne just gets dumped for salary and we sign Turco at around $2.0 mil. I know everyone is condemning this team and the GM and saying that the Flyers will probably have to move out of Philadelphia because they are going to win maybe one game this season, but take a look at this potential lineup, assuming Turco is signed...

2010-11 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR
FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Jeff Carter ($5.000m) / Claude Giroux ($0.822m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m)
* Darroll Powe ($0.820m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Ian Laperriere ($1.167m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.438m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Sean O\'Donnell ($1.300m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
* Marty Turco ($2.000m) / Michael Leighton ($1.550m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.930m; CAP ROOM: $1.408m; BONUSES: $0.938m

That's $1.5 mil in cap space and a pretty mean looking team. It's not time to jump ship just quite yet.
1) If you think people complaining about Homer and how ****ed up this off-season is is representative of us "jumping ship" and thinking the team is "going to win one game" then you're missing the point completely and don't get it at all.

2) You're assuming best-case-scenario (or close to best-case-scenario) in your roster. Since our GM is Homer, I really, really doubt that he's going to sign Turco or any other legitimate goalie at this point.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:28 PM
MojoJojo

If the big money free agents: Gagne, Hartnell and Briere refuse to waive their NTCs, the only way we are getting under the cap is we stuff Odonnell, Shelly and Cote in the minors. Forget about a new goalie. So strange we signed these guys at all.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
It is, but they call it diving and use it to admonish them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
If the big money free agents: Gagne, Hartnell and Briere refuse to waive their NTCs, the only way we are getting under the cap is we stuff Odonnell, Shelly and Cote in the minors. Forget about a new goalie. So strange we signed these guys at all.
We can always trade Carle

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
We can always trade Carle
I'd rather stuff the detritus in the AHL... though that would never happen.

Old
07-13-2010, 05:36 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Good deal imo. After the minutes he played, he deserves a small bump.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
O' Donnell and Shelley make sense as an extra forward and d-man. As is though they're both over-payed and there's a decent chance that Shelley won't just be a 13th forward.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote