HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spaling vs. Smithson

Old
07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
Spaling vs. Smithson

These two guys play a relatively similar game. Spaling is significantly younger though. Do you think there is room for them both in the lineup?

If one had to be let go/traded before training camp, as of right now, would you keep Spaling or Smithson??

I just feel that both will not be needed this season with our forward depth. Spaling may have more upside and is younger, but is Smithson more of what we need right now to push into the playoffs??

I personally think Spaling will have taken Smithson's job by mid season at the very latest. What do you guys think??

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
These two guys play a relatively similar game. Spaling is significantly younger though. Do you think there is room for them both in the lineup?

If one had to be let go/traded before training camp, as of right now, would you keep Spaling or Smithson??

I just feel that both will not be needed this season with our forward depth. Spaling may have more upside and is younger, but is Smithson more of what we need right now to push into the playoffs??

I personally think Spaling will have taken Smithson's job by mid season at the very latest. What do you guys think??
Spaling is the player I want on the team for next season

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

We might wanna call this the Spaling vs. Smithson vs. Andersson vs. Thurreson fight. All have a chance to get a roster spot and with Smithson being on his last year he might turn into trade bait if the youngsters out play him.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Smithsons time has come and gone...Give me Spaling.

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
JamboPred

Keep spaling because has potential but I think smithson does his job a little better but spaling will take his job no doubt in the near future because he will develop into a much better player than smithson. Hopefully with some scoring to his game.

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 02:48 PM
goalscorer

I'be been dying to get rid of Smithson. I hope Spaling, Thurreson and Anderson all prove they are capable of taking those minutes. All three have a bigger upside then Smithson. It's time to move on.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 03:24 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

To me, the battles in camp are as follows:

O'Reilly vs. Kostitsyn.
Per Montreal fan SK is a playmaker, much like O'Reilly. If O'Reilly really kick it up a gear and shows he can feed Legwand and Ward (If my idea of lines plays out) then he might force SK out but frankly SK is waiver eligible (155 NHL games with Montreal) and O'Reilly could be put in Milwaukee at the beginning of the year and not lose him. Is SK's potential better than O'Reilly's? Yes. I say SK unless he goes prima donna then Adios.

Spaling vs. Smithson vs. Andersson vs. Thuresson for 2 spots.

Nashville is going to have a good 4th/energy/defensive line. Who's going to be on it is the question. Goc is a lock and what a center to have for a 4th line. The wings are in flux. The bottom 5 players in TOI are Sulzer, Tootoo, Belak, Smithson, and O'Reilly. Offensively, the best player last year was, sit down for this, Tootoo with 6 goals and 10 Assists. Defensively, it's a push between the many players listed. Belak is a lock for the "Good guy in locker room, guy who can pulverize occipital bones with his fist, looks good in a suit in the Press box guy". Spaling can go to Milwaukee without waivers. Same with Thuresson. Smithson is on his last year on his contract and because of the 9 goals he scored he might just be a 4th liner in demand. Andersson is a wildcard. Money wise, Spaling and Tootoo are the two expensive guys followed by Smithson.

I could see Spaling and Thuresson in Milwaukee, Tootoo and Belak as extra forwards and O'Reilly as future draft pick to be traded for.

Old
07-13-2010, 03:35 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
To me, the battles in camp are as follows:

O'Reilly vs. Kostitsyn.
Per Montreal fan SK is a playmaker, much like O'Reilly. If O'Reilly really kick it up a gear and shows he can feed Legwand and Ward (If my idea of lines plays out) then he might force SK out but frankly SK is waiver eligible (155 NHL games with Montreal) and O'Reilly could be put in Milwaukee at the beginning of the year and not lose him. Is SK's potential better than O'Reilly's? Yes. I say SK unless he goes prima donna then Adios.

Spaling vs. Smithson vs. Andersson vs. Thuresson for 2 spots.

Nashville is going to have a good 4th/energy/defensive line. Who's going to be on it is the question. Goc is a lock and what a center to have for a 4th line. The wings are in flux. The bottom 5 players in TOI are Sulzer, Tootoo, Belak, Smithson, and O'Reilly. Offensively, the best player last year was, sit down for this, Tootoo with 6 goals and 10 Assists. Defensively, it's a push between the many players listed. Belak is a lock for the "Good guy in locker room, guy who can pulverize occipital bones with his fist, looks good in a suit in the Press box guy". Spaling can go to Milwaukee without waivers. Same with Thuresson. Smithson is on his last year on his contract and because of the 9 goals he scored he might just be a 4th liner in demand. Andersson is a wildcard. Money wise, Spaling and Tootoo are the two expensive guys followed by Smithson.

I could see Spaling and Thuresson in Milwaukee, Tootoo and Belak as extra forwards and O'Reilly as future draft pick to be traded for.

Do you think Thuresson really has much of a shot coming right out of camp to make the roster or maybe down the stretch?? With all the extra forwards, I just feel he has not got much of a shot unless he very much so impresses!

Kostitsyn will get a shot no matter what happens in camp. Poile has a hunch on this guy I think and he could turn out to be an outstanding signing!

I agree with most of you that Spaling has better offensive upside and can also probably be better than Smithson long term.

I can definitely see Smithson as a hot commodity at the trade deadline beacuse he is a good 4th liner and, as above mentioned, he has 9 goals on fourth line!

O'Reilly better be given a very fair chance with solid linemates before it is even thought about trading him, he could really screw us over I think if dealt (see Peverley).

All in all, I see Spaling a full time NHLer as of the end of last season. Smithson will be in his last season with Predators.

What do you think Spaling's biggest upside could be pointwise??? I was thinking maybe 20G 35A (biggest upside).

It would also be interesting to see if Matt Halischuk who was acquired from New Jersey in Arnott deal steps in. Him and Spaling used to play AMAZING together on the Kitchener Ranger's first line of the OHL. (They won OHL title that year).

Old
07-13-2010, 03:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Do you think Thuresson really has much of a shot coming right out of camp to make the roster or maybe down the stretch?? With all the extra forwards, I just feel he has not got much of a shot unless he very much so impresses!

I do. I would not be surprised if he had the camp of a lifetime he could force the Preds hands and trade Tootoo. Thuresson doesn't quite have the irritating personality but he can be an effective 4th liner.

Kostitsyn will get a shot no matter what happens in camp. Poile has a hunch on this guy I think and he could turn out to be an outstanding signing!

Agreed

I agree with most of you that Spaling has better offensive upside and can also probably be better than Smithson long term.

To me, Smithson's 9 goals was a bitof a fluke but if he keeps it up I can live with it.

I can definitely see Smithson as a hot commodity at the trade deadline beacuse he is a good 4th liner and, as above mentioned, he has 9 goals on fourth line!

O'Reilly better be given a very fair chance with solid linemates before it is even thought about trading him, he could really screw us over I think if dealt (see Peverley).

I would rather have Rich Peverley v. 2.0 in the Eastern Conference than a black hole offensively on our roster.

I'm not sure about Spaling's potiential but to me with the roster moves the Preds made they can revamp their PK and PP. If that's the case they could move some players from the units. Remember that special teams take up 5-7 minutes a game but ES is more important if you can keep the penalties down.

Old
07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Well, we could use a decent fourth line center up here... what would y'all want for Smithson?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Well, we could use a decent fourth line center up here... what would y'all want for Smithson?
Draft pick note this is a weak draft and I'm already seeing value of threads for Smithson on HF so I think his demand is high.

Old
07-13-2010, 04:21 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
What do you think Spaling's biggest upside could be pointwise??? I was thinking maybe 20G 35A (biggest upside).
He didn't even do close to that in the AHL. 20g and 35 assists is almost a star. He's still young so I suppose he could do something big like that someday with good linemates, but to me his scoring high end is lower than that. He's a utility man, maybe up to a third line, not a second liner.

I think Spaling is ok. A bit overrated around here. Since Trotz loves "detail" we'll probably end up with both Spaling and Smithson, which I won't like. But either one of them does play a useful role. I'd prefer Smithson for his experience, but if Spaling makes the team as well, I'd rather Smithson go. I don't think I can take another year of seeing guys like Smithson and Spaling playing roles on what should be offensive lines. It makes me pull my hair out.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 06:23 PM
hatedandproud

Trotz loves Smithson. We won't see him replaced till next season IMO.
But if one of them had to be let go, I would take Spaling over Smithson.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
I'd think that a second rounder is fair value for Smithson, honestly.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:17 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
He didn't even do close to that in the AHL. 20g and 35 assists is almost a star. He's still young so I suppose he could do something big like that someday with good linemates, but to me his scoring high end is lower than that. He's a utility man, maybe up to a third line, not a second liner.

I think Spaling is ok. A bit overrated around here. Since Trotz loves "detail" we'll probably end up with both Spaling and Smithson, which I won't like. But either one of them does play a useful role. I'd prefer Smithson for his experience, but if Spaling makes the team as well, I'd rather Smithson go. I don't think I can take another year of seeing guys like Smithson and Spaling playing roles on what should be offensive lines. It makes me pull my hair out.

I guess just with me living in Kitchener, watching the Rangers tear it up and he was their second best forward, I have a little higher of hopes for him, he put up big numbers in the OHL, but that is a stretch from NHL by far. But he definitely plays a very, very well rounded game. I think he will be a good solid guy for years to come. Definitely a keeper! I really want to see what him and O'Reilly can do if given top line minutes, even just for a handful of games to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
I'd think that a second rounder is fair value for Smithson, honestly.

Yea? That sounds good to me! If he has that much value, maybe (like I have mentioned before) we package him with Dumont and get a little more juice out of the deal! Just a thought!

Who do you figure are the most likely candidates for Spaling's linemates???

Old
07-13-2010, 08:33 PM
jlsg

OK, chances of Dumont going anywhere are slim, very slim. It would take something biblical for him to allow a trade.
A 2nd for Smithson? Really? Not on a good day.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 08:58 PM
token grinder

jerred smithson would be lucky to fetch a 7th round pick.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 09:11 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
But he definitely plays a very, very well rounded game. I think he will be a good solid guy for years to come. Definitely a keeper!
I don't think he's shown that any scoring ability he flashed as a junior translates to a higher level, so far.

But he'll score more than Smithson already, and has more upside.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2010, 10:34 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I don't think he's shown that any scoring ability he flashed as a junior translates to a higher level, so far.

But he'll score more than Smithson already, and has more upside.

I hear ya! It is weird how some of these guys can tear it up in the juniors and some can translate that to the NHL and others cant.

I think that you guys are going to really really like Halischuk as well, he plays a similar game to Spaling. Both had tons of offensive flash in OHL together.

Also,

When I said Spaling's BEST POSSIBLE season could be 20G 35A, I agree that it was maybe a bit over exagerated, but I did not mean he will be doing that on the regular, but I mean once maybe he is well adjusted and if he shows enough potential to try some games on a top line, he could possibly get that IMO. But that is biggest possible upside that we could ever imagine for Nick!

What do you think happens with Thuresson?? Would he be packaged into a deal with Smithson possibly or just play in Milwaukee this season and wait another year for cracking Preds??? I do not know much about his game. Does he play similar to Spaling?

Also, do you think Smithson could use his body more effectively?? I have thought he could be more aggressive at times, maybe its just me...

Old
07-14-2010, 12:06 AM
roseyc

Quote:
I hear ya! It is weird how some of these guys can tear it up in the juniors and some can translate that to the NHL and others cant.

I think that you guys are going to really really like Halischuk as well, he plays a similar game to Spaling. Both had tons of offensive flash in OHL together.

Also,

When I said Spaling's BEST POSSIBLE season could be 20G 35A, I agree that it was maybe a bit over exagerated, but I did not mean he will be doing that on the regular, but I mean once maybe he is well adjusted and if he shows enough potential to try some games on a top line, he could possibly get that IMO. But that is biggest possible upside that we could ever imagine for Nick!

What do you think happens with Thuresson?? Would he be packaged into a deal with Smithson possibly or just play in Milwaukee this season and wait another year for cracking Preds??? I do not know much about his game. Does he play similar to Spaling?

Also, do you think Smithson could use his body more effectively?? I have thought he could be more aggressive at times, maybe its just me...
Smithson is not going anywhere he is Trotz's boy. Plus why give away a real good penalty killer. Good faceoff man. Spaling is still young and makes more than Smithson anyways. You also have to factor injuries which happen every year. So why get rid of either. Smithson can't go down to Milw. Spaling can.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:37 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
We keep touting our good penalty killers but our PK SUCKED last year so lets not act like we cant trade Smitty because of the PK.

Bottom line is someone has to go among the forwards. Smithson is likely to be too expensive for his role next year(much like Zanon was) and so trading him now to get something rather than losing him for nothing next summer is reasonable, though if we decide to keep him I wont be upset either, because we'd likely only be missing out on a 3rd rounder, at best.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
goalscorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
jerred smithson would be lucky to fetch a 7th round pick.
I'll take it, even in a weak draft.

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:02 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalscorer View Post
I'll take it, even in a weak draft.
I think he would fetch a hell of a lot higher than that. Scouting HF, BJs would have interest in him, Canucks, Chicago, Atlanta.

The guy has some scoring punch and plays a strong 4th line. 2nd or 3rd in this weak draft.

The players I could see jettisoned this season are Smithy and Sully. Both on the last years of their deals and the plan is to replace them with younger players (Smithson for one of the 8 billion forwards in Milwaukee. Radulov for Sully...... Maybe). Also I see a LOT of offensive forwards in the market who need homes.

I'm going to be insane on this because this goes WAY out of status quo for the Preds, but if the current batch of forwards can't find homes what if they are willing to take cheap 1 year offers to get into NEXT year's UFA market? Or say Nashville goes totally crazy, finds a way to trade Sully and Tootoo and one other forward for picks and offers Kovy a 1 year 5.5 million dollar deal. Doesn't risk Weber because it's a 1 year deal.

You GOT to think the forwards in the UFA system are beginning to feel desperate.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
glenngineer

Grebs cost us a 2nd, Boyd a 4th. How does anyone figure Smithson would net us a 2nd or a 3rd? Guys like him are a dime a dozen in this league. I could see a 5th or 6th for him, not much more and honestly, I could care less if we got a pick for him or not. Spaling and Thuresson will be upgrades over him in time. Personally, I just wish we'd get rid of him at this point and let Spaling, Halischuk and Goc be our 4th line.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Grebs cost us a 2nd, Boyd a 4th. How does anyone figure Smithson would net us a 2nd or a 3rd? Guys like him are a dime a dozen in this league. I could see a 5th or 6th for him, not much more and honestly, I could care less if we got a pick for him or not. Spaling and Thuresson will be upgrades over him in time. Personally, I just wish we'd get rid of him at this point and let Spaling, Halischuk and Goc be our 4th line.
This is a weak draft and a 2nd rounder most likely has a 4th round value.