HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jody Shelley a good signing?

Old
07-14-2010, 05:07 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Jody Shelley a good signing?

Don't flame me yet - I read this and now I am thinking this might be the laps signing last year?

Diagramming Jody Shelley's role with #Flyers. http://philabright.com/2010/07/13/sh...e-with-flyers/
web • 7/13/10 6:34 PM

from philabrights Twitter. Sorry for no link I'm on my iPhone

Quote:
When the Flyers acquired big-bodied forward Jody Shelley, on July 1 for $1.1 million a year for three years, fans shrieked in confusion. *Why? They asked. Why would general manager Paul Holmgren pay that much for an enforcer that will only play a shift or two, take a penalty and ride the bench?

The answer is simple — Holmgren sees 6’3, 225 lbs. Shelley as a player, not just an enforcer.

“We feel we got a guy who can play a role for our team we haven’t had in quite some time and play a third or fourth line,” Holmgren told the media after the signing. “He’s a bigger body, so I’m very happy.”

Sure, Shelley (34) is still known more of a brawler than anything, proving his ability in February when he buckled Toronto’s Colton Orr in a short bout. But despite the reputation as solely a tough guy, when the grizzled veteran became older and more mature, so did his game.

As *Larry Brooks wrote in a piece for the N.Y. Post prior to free agency…

“It’s beyond me, just beyond me, why the Rangers GM would risk losing such an important piece as Jody Shelley in order to perhaps pursue someone else he can’t know will fit as well as the universally respected enforcer who came to the Rangers in February and immediately established himself as a badly needed force off the ice as well as on it.”

He continued

“In two months of wearing the Blueshirt, Shelley established himself as important fabric of team.”

In his 21 games with the New York Rangers last season, Shelley averaged seven minutes of ice time a game under notorious*stickler John Tortorella. *That is three minutes less than recently departed Flyers forward Arron Asham, who managed 10:04.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-14-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: fix link and quote article (length exceeded rules)
phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
This won't end well.

In all honesty while he is not needed I really think he is just a replacement for Cote. Obviously Homer thinks we need a true heavyweight to take some of the fighting responsibilities away from Carcillo so he can play a top 9 role, even more so since Asham wont be back and Lappy really shouldn't be fighting as much with his skull being permanently damaged. It obviously was not a good idea to pay an extra 600k for a fighter but If he is in the lineup every night on the 4th line its not so bad considering Cote only played a handful of games because he was a complete liability with his gloves on.

I know there are people on here that think he is going to play a top 9 role because they claim Homer thinks he is that kind of player. Get real, while Homer is terrible at managing the cap he knows talent and he knows Shelley isn't a top 9 player. Hes a true heavyweight and he is a great guy to have in the locker room. Seriously, lets stop acting like a guy making 1.1 million is the reason we are in cap hell, even if we waived Shelley and didnt even replace his roster spot we would still be over.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:22 AM
phillyfanatic

1.1 million or .5 over the minimum you could sign a guy for isn't crazy. If he adds more than a fighter to the team, I am willing to take a wait and see approach on this signing! Sounds like he will get a regular shift. We shall see

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 05:22 AM
dookie88

I just don't think he will be able to provide anything what's near Asham's level of offensive output.
Asham is completely underrated, he has a great shot, can skate decently and is not a bad all-round player.
For a team that last scoring depth for the second straight time in the off-season and lacked scoring last year, that's not a bad sign.

And we don't have to talk about this contract.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Subject Orange

This whole mess is questionable and at this point we'll have no idea whats going to happen until we are 20 games into the season. Even then, since its the Flyers, we may not know.

I was wrong about Carcillo, I was furious when we traded for him, but he proved me wrong. Atleast to a degree of acceptability. Right now shelly isn't acceptable. Maybe he can be. But I believe we could have gotten him for less than a million, and not for three years. That would have atleast made it less of a shock...

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:42 AM
CharlieGirl

I will be very pleasantly surprised if we look back 2 years from now and agree that it was a good signing. I just don't see it happening.

He'll be 37 when the contract ends (assuming he's still around by then) - how many fighters are still effective at 37?

Apparently he's a great guy in the room. So was Cote, but for a hell of a lot less money.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:47 AM
FlyerEra2010

We paid him too much, but I don't hate the idea of Jody Shelley being on the roster nearly as much as a lot of people seem to.

“In two months of wearing the Blueshirt, Shelley established himself as important fabric of team.”

You've gotta like the sound of that, especially when it's coming from a NY Post writer.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 06:49 AM
ThePiousInfant

He's overpaid by $200-300k, and was signed at a time when cap space was precious. Those are the reasons most fans hate the signing - otherwise, Jody Shelley is a considerable upgrade from Cote, both as a fighter and as a player. The fact that NY is upset at losing him, that he was pursued by multiple teams, and that he is apparently great in the locker room also help.

Still, this was way down the list of needs...

ThePiousInfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

I think we're all more upset about the paycheck.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:21 AM
PhillyCurt12

so in order to fill asham's role, we sign a guy with less offensive upside who is slower than asham? he likely costs about equal or probably more than asham. granted, he is like 10 pounds heavier

i think asham could have filled asham's role quite well. or fedotenko. or forsberg. or thoresen. or an ahl'er. there are so many other directions the flyers could have, and should have, gone.

you can call this signing whatever you want to, but it's still garbage.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:22 AM
decadentia

This is interesting...we're going to analyze this until its a good deal?

This isn't some crazy move that has a secret agenda, we signed Jody Shelley for more than he's worth.

This is similar to being impressed by something on an infomercial, paying out the ass for it, then realizing you really don't have a need for asshair clippers after all in your daily life...regardless of how immaculate Chewbacca's buttcheeks seemed after the demonstration. It just doesn't make sense.

We didn't need him, we needed the cap space. That's all there is to it.

...unless you want to discuss Homer's raging hardon for him, personally I find it a bit homo-erectus.

Last edited by decadentia: 07-14-2010 at 07:29 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:28 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Shelley seems like a great character guy, etc. I'd be fine with having him...but not when we 1) overpaid him and 2) have Laperriere. Laperriere does PK, so it's a bit different, but in my mind they basically play the same basic role -- they will fight, go balls out, play with heart, and not look pretty doing it.

Also, this whole thing about Shelley playing above the 4th line is ridiculous. He shouldn't be there, and if Holmgren really has that plan, he's a ****ing moron. If he wants to go 3 scoring lines, do it. Don’t hamstring Richards or Giroux with somebody like Shelley. At least give them a chance.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:29 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
We paid him too much, but I don't hate the idea of Jody Shelley being on the roster nearly as much as a lot of people seem to.

You've gotta like the sound of that, especially when it's coming from a NY Post writer.
Very true!

And let's all be serious... what goon was really scared by Riley Cote as our enforcer? Dan Carcillo is more like a pest if anything. Having Shelley on the roster actually gives us a real enforcer that A) win fights, and B) puts some fear into the Matt Cookes of the league.

I'm not happy about the 1.1 mil cap hit, however like what was said in previous posts, if he is in the line-up consistantly, it's not really that bad.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:34 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I don't even care about the price, I still don't think we need this guy.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:43 AM
DUHockey9

I don't doubt that Shelley will contribute in some manner. For all I've heard, he's a great guy and he'll certainly do his job.

Basically, I don't expect to have any issues with Shelley the person or player. In fact, I may even like him. My issue is with his contract when I don't feel it was even close to our biggest need. Just poor asset/cap management.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 07:43 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

We'll see. I smell failure all over this project. He was signed because of the one good game he had against us.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:02 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

We'll see how he does. Some people play better in some systems/teams than others. So maybe he'll play up to his worth. But time will tell, and my guess is the odds are against Shelley for playing up to this contract.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
I need a proper link or this will have to be closed.

...and no, it's a horrible signing.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
FlyerEra2010

http://philabright.com/2010/07/13/sh...e-with-flyers/

There's a proper link.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:14 AM
Kaktus*

Even if we do need him which we don't, we paid too much.

Last year was a perfect example that Flyers do not need pure enforcer on our team to succeed.

On the other hand if you look at our team Carcillo, Shelley, Lappy, O'Donnell, Pronger, Richards, Hartnell thats a lot of grit.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:17 AM
flybynite77

So basically the major reasoning in that article on why Shelley was a good signing besides the GM who gave him the ridiculous contract is what Larry Brooks had to say about him.

Umm yea... If the major basis of anything is Larry Brooks' opinion of it I think you need to rethink things.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Even if we do need him which we don't, we paid too much.

Last year was a perfect example that Flyers do not need pure enforcer on our team to succeed.
Not completely sure on that one when it came to the regular season. They did however prove it in the playoffs... but having an enforcer is probably on the bottom of priorities for the playoffs, IMO.

For a long season with many games being pointless for underacheiving teams (especially down the stretch), having an enforcer on the ice will cut down on a lot of the crap, making it easier for our skilled players to stay out of trouble and out of the penalty box.

Even looking back to the Ottawa game (the dreaded Volchenkov hit on Gagne), had Gagne had a real enforcer waiting on the bench, maybe he would have thought twice about attacking Volchenkov immediately after the hit on him.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:28 AM
dawkins121

In a vacuum I would still be pretty pissed off that we are paying him $3.3 over 3 years. When you look at the opportunity cost and how that signing could be holding us back from making moves that improve the team significantly more then it is pretty indefensible.

Even if he does play above and beyond expectations, something like a 20 point season where he plays 10 mins a night which to me is a pretty if, then it probably still wouldn't have been worth it just because of what we missed out on.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Not completely sure on that one when it came to the regular season. They did however prove it in the playoffs... but having an enforcer is probably on the bottom of priorities for the playoffs, IMO.
What do you mean not sure? Cote was sitting on his ass and played only because we had injuries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Even looking back to the Ottawa game (the dreaded Volchenkov hit on Gagne), had Gagne had a real enforcer waiting on the bench, maybe he would have thought twice about attacking Volchenkov immediately after the hit on him.
Doubt it, he won't think twice. Volchenkov does not care because thats his game to hit people and block shots, he will hit you now and ask questions later.

Orr on the other hand did give us some problems but he was a moron. He took penalties we scored goals on PP and won games. So, who gives a ****.

NYR signed Boogaard? Big deal. He is no hockey player. He sucks in every aspect of the game.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:31 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Doubt it, he won't think twice. Volchenkov does not care because thats his game to hit people and block shots, he will hit you now and ask questions later.
I agree.

And if Toronto wants to dress Orr or the Rangers want to dress Boogaard in place of a skilled player, it's a bonus for the Flyers if they don't have someone to dance with those guys - it's a complete wasted spot on the roster that game.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote