HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jody Shelley a good signing?

Old
07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Here is my take on this signing. As a UFA tough guy who is very big, very tough, character guy - the least we could have signed him or anyone similar is about 800,000. So lets say we overpaid 300,000 per year, and Cote is gone off the books for 550,000. However, Meszaros makes 4 million per year and is likely our #5 d-man. He makes 700,000 per year more than Coburn and 600,000 more than Carle. We could have filled that spot with a rookie for 800,000 or 3.1 million less.

The point, **** Shelley, that signing is OK. The trading for Meszaros is the one I am scratching my head about. I would turn around and deal him to a Carolina or San Jose (team looking for a top d-man) for a similar return and keep Shelley, Zherdev, O'donnell and most importantly Gagne.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I need a proper link or this will have to be closed.

...and no, it's a horrible signing.
Link fixed, Sorry - posted from my IPHONE. Cheers.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:38 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Isn't Philabright the guy who made up the Carter-Hartnell crap?

EDIT: Maybe not, it's still a retarded article though.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Flyersguru

Why Jody Shelley?

Because Colton Orr took out Mike Richards shoulder in March and was playing injuried with it the rest of the season.

No one on the team stood up to Orr that night.

With Shelley in the lineup, Richards doesn't get hurt that night.

We don't need an enforcer?

Almost every team in the Eastern Conference has one.

Shelley is a fantastic signing.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:46 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Why Jody Shelley?

Because Colton Orr took out Mike Richards shoulder in March and was playing injuried with it the rest of the season.

why do you htink it is a fantastic signing? So do you really think Orr will nto go after richards because Shelley is on the team. Why doesnt Richards get hurt is Shelley was in the lineup?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
This was in an email I got from the Flyers:

Quote:
The Eastern Conference Champions are set to take the ice in less than 10 weeks! Be in your seats as your favorite players, Mike Richards and Chris Pronger, join the highly anticipated new Flyers including Nikolai Zherdev and Jody Shelley.
Yeah, Jody Shelley. Not the $4M per year defenseman they traded for. Not...any goaltender. Come watch someone play 6 minutes a game.

I have no doubt that Shelley will be a quality person for the team, but the contract is retarded. And I'm not scared of Colton Orr, I was at the game against the Flyers too that he almost singlehandedly lost for his team. I'm more interested in winning games, not fights. It seems that's how Laviolette saw it once he got a hold on the team.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:52 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
This was in an email I got from the Flyers:

Yeah, Jody Shelley. Not the $4M per year defenseman they traded for. Not...any goaltender. Come watch someone play 6 minutes a game.
well maybe Shooter has a plan and that includes trading Mezaros lol. Goons and fighting sell tickets for the flyers, not skill players.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:03 AM
tuckrr

Were gonna love him :/ sux but its true

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersguru View Post
Why Jody Shelley?

Remember that game, remember that hit. Injury? Not so much. Was it really an injury?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
well maybe Shooter has a plan and that includes trading Mezaros lol. Goons and fighting sell tickets for the flyers, not skill players.
I was going to say this. Frank Bialowas for the Phantoms in the 90's put people in the seats because that was a guaranteed fight each game. Same with Shelley.

I thought this was so Lavy had a disciplined fighter, unlike Carcillo. But they re-signed Carcillo anyway...so who knows.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Remember that game, remember that hit. Injury? Not so much. Was it really an injury?
There is no one in the league going to deter Orr(or any player for that matter) from running someone if that is what he decides to do. The way to counter that is to then run Kessel into the ground. Eye for an Eye. I dont want to see Shelley and Orr fight as that is just plain boring.

Teh flyers wanted a fighter, fine. There were cheaper option available to address that area and def not for 3 years. Shelley is 34, don want an aging fighter.
Whether or not he still wants to play i have no idea. I would imagine if George Laroque had any pride he would want back in the league in a bad way and try to reestablish himslef as the top dog. Would rather have signed him for 600k 1 year, that is if he had that fire to do his role. Mcgratton, Ivanis all <600k and 1 year. You laugh at the rangers for giving Boogard that contract, 4 years is to long i agree. However for 500k extra i would rather have the biggest, baddest of them all if that was my choice.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
kevinjd182

With Shelly fighting Boogy, Carcillo can take on Gaborik

kevinjd182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
We'll see. I smell failure all over this project. He was signed because of the one good game he had against us.
Are you that stupid to actually regurgitate something you saw here like that. If you really think he was offering a contract based on the last 2 games of the season your crazy. Apparently multiple teams were after Shelley, I guess all of those GMs caught those games? Get real, he's been in the league for a long time, well before he scored a goal against us. Stop believing everything you see on the Internet and spewing it later like a fact.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Are you that stupid to actually regurgitate something you saw here like that. If you really think he was offering a contract based on the last 2 games of the season your crazy. Apparently multiple teams were after Shelley, I guess all of those GMs caught those games? Get real, he's been in the league for a long time, well before he scored a goal against us. Stop believing everything you see on the Internet and spewing it later like a fact.
Besides the Rangers what other teams where going after him? Thos 2 games against the flyers did have some impact to them signing him. If you dont think that was part of the reason he was signed you kidding yourself

Old
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I will be very pleasantly surprised if we look back 2 years from now and agree that it was a good signing. I just don't see it happening.

He'll be 37 when the contract ends (assuming he's still around by then) - how many fighters are still effective at 37?

Apparently he's a great guy in the room. So was Cote, but for a hell of a lot less money.
Cheap crap is still crap though. Shelley is a much better player and fighter than Cote ever was. He will not replace Asham's production (who says he has to though?) and do we really need him to? No - he's there to answer when Boogard/Orr/etc. separate Briere's or Giroux's shoulder - or to hopefully prevent that from happening. Think of the elbows to the head Gagne and Giroux have taken over the last couple years. Those guys may not be taking a beating from Shelley but he sure as hell will do something about it - something Cote or Asham couldn't do because they either weren't tough enough (Asham) or good enough (Cote) to see the ice.

So the guy makes 500k more than he should - so maybe he's that much more motivated. I love the signing and think he will be a fan favorite for the next few years.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I haven't read anyone other than the Rangers was really going after him. I also would be shocked if those last two games didn't have a significant effect on Holmgren's thinking.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Here is my take on this signing. As a UFA tough guy who is very big, very tough, character guy - the least we could have signed him or anyone similar is about 800,000. So lets say we overpaid 300,000 per year, and Cote is gone off the books for 550,000. However, Meszaros makes 4 million per year and is likely our #5 d-man. He makes 700,000 per year more than Coburn and 600,000 more than Carle. We could have filled that spot with a rookie for 800,000 or 3.1 million less.

The point, **** Shelley, that signing is OK. The trading for Meszaros is the one I am scratching my head about. I would turn around and deal him to a Carolina or San Jose (team looking for a top d-man) for a similar return and keep Shelley, Zherdev, O'donnell and most importantly Gagne.
You can question the logic of the Meszaros signing (and I agree with that), but he will be playing 20 minutes a night for this club. Jody Shelley will not, and likely won't even dress come playoff time.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:49 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I see Homer trying to Knuble Shelley. Honestly with his size he can be a huge presence in front of the net. Maybe with some work on deflections and rebounds he could fulfill that role. I'm hopeful

07-14-2010, 10:54 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I see Homer trying to Knuble Shelley. Honestly with his size he can be a huge presence in front of the net. Maybe with some work on deflections and rebounds he could fulfill that role. I'm hopeful
Well why havent any other teams tried that with shelley on a consistent basis? He isnt good enough thats why. an occasional look when th epp is struggling, maybe but that is even pushing it. I love the people who say he will be a fan favorite. Big deal. almost every fighter is a "fan fvaorite". You odnt give 34 yera old fighters 3 year deals. Period.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
...he has a career high of 3 goals. Mike Knuble needed the opportunity, but he had been a scorer at lower levels before coming up and being used as a grinder. Shelley has never shown real offensive output.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
With all due respect to Mr. Shelley, I don't care if he wakes up in the morning and pisses leadership and eats 5 minute majors for breakfast. This was a bad signing.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:03 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Shelley is not here to score goals, he's here as an enforcer. Plain and simple. Yeah, the 1.1 cap hit doesn't make sense for that role, but it doesn't help when Homer also goes out and spends cap money on other non-needs.

Homer pulled the trigger way too early on the Leighton deal and the entire offseason spending spree just went completely nuts. Had he just waited to see what happened, could have had Dan Ellis for 1.5 or Chris Mason for 1.8? You really think if the spot was open that these guys would play for Atlanta or Tampa Bay over Philly?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
El Emperor

So I have a question... if Jody Shelley is going to be a consistently dressed player for a majority of games, is this what we are looking forward to?

JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Carter-Giroux
Shelley-Betts-Lappy

All assuming Gagne's salary is what ultimately is gone. But by some miracle Homer wakes up one morning and realizes having both Carle and Meszaros is a mistake and trades one of them, where does that leave Shelley?

1.1 million dollars to show up to the arena and end up watching from the locker room?

Last edited by El Emperor: 07-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.
El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

The way I see it playing out is Homer waiving him at some point and then calling him back up at some point only for him to be claimed on Re-Entry.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
So I have a question... if Jody Shelley is going to be a consistently dressed player for a majority of games, is this what we are looking forward to?

JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Carcillo-Carter-Giroux
Shelley-Betts-Lappy

All assuming Gagne's salary is what ultimately is gone. But by some miracle Homer wakes up one morning and realizes having both Carle and Meszaros is a mistake and trades one of them, where does that leave Shelley?

1.1 million dollars to show up to the arena and end up watching from the locker room?
We seem headed in that direction, yes... and, therefore, the VERY GOOD 4th line we had last year of Carcillo-Betts-Lappy will continue to not be put together.

Of course, who knows, maybe Maroon or someone makes the team out of camp and pushes Shelley out of the lineup. There's also the whole Powe thing. If we re-sign Powe, I can't see Shelley dressing all that often...