HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers re-sign David Laliberte

Old
07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Flyersguru

vCash: 500
Flyers re-sign David Laliberte

1 year, 2 way deal for $550,000.

www.capgeek.com

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 08:58 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

1 year eh? I like Laliberte. No problems with this. Probably a good guy for Wellwood to learn from.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:04 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

2 way deal, good. No issues here. Well deserved.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:30 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
2 way deal, good. No issues here. Well deserved.
I always wonder why people are excited when they see a 2 way deal. Unless, I'm completely wrong, and I'm 85% sure I'm not....2 way deals don't effective a player's ability to be called up/sent down. It merely defines 2 salaries for them, it's not our money, and has really no effect on anything hockey related.

Which brings me to my question, because I keep meaning to look it up, what exactly DOES define call up/send down eligibility?

I'm now starting to question myself haha...

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I always wonder why people are excited when they see a 2 way deal. Unless, I'm completely wrong, and I'm 85% sure I'm not....2 way deals don't effective a player's ability to be called up/sent down. It merely defines 2 salaries for them, it's not our money, and has really no effect on anything hockey related.

Which brings me to my question, because I keep meaning to look it up, what exactly DOES define call up/send down eligibility?

I'm now starting to question myself haha...
http://nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Awesome, thank you sir!

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Good for David. He filled in admirably last year and more than likely will be called on this year.

07-14-2010, 09:51 AM
teddygmr

So, having turned 24 in March and played 3 years in the AHL....Laliberte would have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors.
At 6'1 and 203 pounds and a goal scoring touch, along with just a $550,000 cap hit, I could see him being claimed by a team like Chicago or some other team with serious cap challenges.
Flyers certainly have their own cap challenges and (having played one NHL playoff game,) it seems like if he comes to camp in great shape, he could win a job with the Flyers!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddygmr View Post
So, having turned 24 in March and played 3 years in the AHL....Laliberte would have to clear waivers to be sent to the minors.
At 6'1 and 203 pounds and a goal scoring touch, along with just a $550,000 cap hit, I could see him being claimed by a team like Chicago or some other team with serious cap challenges.
Flyers certainly have their own cap challenges and (having played one NHL playoff game,) it seems like if he comes to camp in great shape, he could win a job with the Flyers!
He played 3 years in the AHL, what does that have to do with clearing waivers? He has to play the number of games in the NHL to be waiver eligible.

Old
07-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Terence Peterman

Don't really understand this.

So it makes sense in accordance to the rest of the offseason.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:18 AM
ki11joy

ki11joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
I wish EA Sports would get their act together and follow these rules for their GM mode in the NHL games.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
He played 3 years in the AHL, what does that have to do with clearing waivers? He has to play the number of games in the NHL to be waiver eligible.
It's either a certain amount of games or a number of years after signing the first NHL contract, whatever is reached first. Laliberte signed at 21, so it's three years or 80 games, he completed the three years with the last season so he is waiver eligible next season.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
See I was always under the assumption that a 2-way also meant you can be called up or sent down without going through waivers like you would have to go through waivers if sent down with a 1-way contract. Guess I was mis-informed, if I'm reading that page right. Interesting, good to know. Thanks.

Edit: Looking deeper online, flyersfan333 appears to be right. It's a misconception created by a bad job at EA Sports. Which I was basing it off of. And apparently I'm not the only one that's been fooled by this.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
See I was always under the assumption that a 2-way also meant you can be called up or sent down without going through waivers like you would have to go through waivers if sent down with a 1-way contract. Guess I was mis-informed, if I'm reading that page right. Interesting, good to know. Thanks.
That's how the NHL video game series makes it out to be. Really all the "two-way" contract means is that the player has two separate salaries in the AHL and NHL.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
That's how the NHL video game series makes it out to be. Really all the "two-way" contract means is that the player has two separate salaries in the AHL and NHL.
Ok so just to verify. Please, correct me if wrong.

Say we call Laliberte up. And then send him back down. He passes through waivers, correct?

If he is "waived" does that mean that any time after clearing waivers, another team can pick him up because he is waived? Or is it only the time when he is "clearing waives" can another team claim him?

Also, if he was waived and then called up again, he would have to go through re-entry waivers also, correct?

Old
07-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
That must be insulting to Laliberte. I mean, Homer always signs players for 500k more than they are worth, so I guess he thinks that Laliberte is only worth 50k... ouch.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:

Say we call Laliberte up. And then send him back down. He passes through waivers, correct?

If he is "waived" does that mean that any time after clearing waivers, another team can pick him up because he is waived? Or is it only the time when he is "clearing waives" can another team claim him?

Also, if he was waived and then called up again, he would have to go through re-entry waivers also, correct?
He can only be claimed while on waivers. After he clears he will stay with the Phantoms until the event that he is called back up. Also, by reading the website I posted I don't think that he has to go through re-entry.

Quote:
Re-entry waivers – new to this CBA is the provision that certain players recalled to the NHL must clear waivers to join the team holding his NHL rights; any other team may claim said player for 50% of his cap hit and salary, with the team attempting to recall taking the other 50% of each. In general, players are not subject to re-entry [recall] waivers unless:

The player is on a -way contract and is subject to waivers when assigned to the minors; or
The player is on a 2-way contract whose minor league salary is in excess of
2007-08: $100,000
2008-09: $100,000
2009-10: $105,000
2010-11: $105,000
2011-12: $105,000

#2 above does not apply to a player who

If a goalie, the goalie has played in 180 or more professional games [NHL, AHL, or ECHL; regular season and playoffs] or, if a skater, 320 or more professional games; AND
Has not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the prior 2 seasons or 40 or more games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:

He can only be claimed during the time he is "clearing waivers", after clearing waivers he can be called up and down as often as the Flyers want, until he reaches either 30 days on the active roster or 10 NHL games.

Re-entry waivers do not apply to him because he only gets $100K in the AHL. If he would earn more, re-entry waivers would apply ... thats also the reason two-way contracts are preferred to one-way contracts (aside from the money).

Old
07-14-2010, 11:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
He can only be claimed during the time he is "clearing waivers", after clearing waivers he can be called up and down as often as the Flyers want, until he reaches either 30 days on the active roster or 10 NHL games.

Re-entry waivers do not apply to him because he only gets $100K in the AHL. If he would earn more, re-entry waivers would apply ... thats also the reason two-way contracts are preferred to one-way contracts (aside from the money).
Yes, at 10 games that locks him in at the NHL level salary. Does that effect the cap as well (meaning once he has passed 10 games, his cap hit is locked too). Also, up and down as often as they want, does that mean if he comes up and goes down again, he doesn't need to clear waivers again because he already is technically "waived?"

Old
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Yes, at 10 games that locks him in at the NHL level salary. Does that effect the cap as well (meaning once he has passed 10 games, his cap hit is locked too). Also, up and down as often as they want, does that mean if he comes up and goes down again, he doesn't need to clear waivers again because he already is technically "waived?"
That rule has nothing to do with his salary or his caphit. It only says that he has to clear waivers again after he has been on the NHL roster for 30 days or after playing 10 games.

Basically, Laliberte is waived at the beginning of the season, he clears and is sent to the Phantoms. Later someone on the Flyers roster is injured and he gets called up. Laliberte can now play nine games or be on the roster for 30 days and be sent down without clearing waivers, if he plays more than ten games or is on the NHL roster for more than 30 days he has to clear waivers again before being sent down.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

While we're on the topic of things we don't completely understand....how exactly does your salary work if you're on a 2-way and get called up? Whether it's just once for a few games, or whether you get bounced back and forth throughout the year...how does it work? I mean...does any time you spend in the NHL get you your NHL salary? For instance, in the case of Laliberte, whose AHL salary is $50,000 and NHL salary is $550,000...if he gets called up to the Flyers for let's say 7 games, do they average out his NHL salary for those games? If so, he'd make $50,000 right there. So, could Laliberte in fact basically make what he's set to make in 82 games with the Phantoms by playing just 7 games with the Flyers? Or in other words, basically double his salary for the year by getting in those 7 Flyers games? If that's how it works, imagine how ****ing excited you would be to get called up for that reason alone, haha.

Another thing that has always struck me as being pretty crazy about the whole AHL/NHL pay scale difference, is how difficult it must be to be a fringe player and deal with the gigantic pay difference between you and players that are just slightly better than you. Take a guy like Jared Ross for instance...been battling it out for years to try and cut it in the NHL, probably making around 50k per year or something, and then there are these guys jussst above him that he gets called up to play with every once in a while that are making ****ing millions. Mentally...that has to be extremely hard to deal with. Surely motivating in a sense, but still, it just has to be ****ing tough to handle.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:33 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
While we're on the topic of things we don't completely understand....how exactly does your salary work if you're on a 2-way and get called up? Whether it's just once for a few games, or whether you get bounced back and forth throughout the year...how does it work? I mean...does any time you spend in the NHL get you your NHL salary? For instance, in the case of Laliberte, whose AHL salary is $50,000 and NHL salary is $550,000...if he gets called up to the Flyers for let's say 7 games, do they average out his NHL salary for those games? If so, he'd make $50,000 right there. So, could Laliberte in fact basically make what he's set to make in 82 games with the Phantoms by playing just 7 games with the Flyers? Or in other words, basically double his salary for the year by getting in those 7 Flyers games? If that's how it works, imagine how ****ing excited you would be to get called up for that reason alone, haha.

Another thing that has always struck me as being pretty crazy about the whole AHL/NHL pay scale difference, is how difficult it must be to be a fringe NHL player and deal with the gigantic pay difference between you and players that are just slightly better than you. Take a guy like Jared Ross for instance...been battling it out for years to try and cut it in the NHL, probably making around 50k per year or something, and then there are these guys jussst above him that he gets called up to play with every once in a while that are making ****ing millions. Mentally...that has to be extremely hard to deal with. Surely motivating in a sense, but still, it just has to be ****ing tough to handle.
My guess is days on active roster. If he's on the Flyers for 20 days of the year, he'll make 20/365 * NHL Salary + 345/365 * AHL Salary.

As for your second paragraph, I guess they hope that it's a good motivator to get them to perform at their best and continue to improve at all times.

Old
07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
My guess is days on active roster. If he's on the Flyers for 20 days of the year, he'll make 20/365 * NHL Salary + 345/365 * AHL Salary.

As for your second paragraph, I guess they hope that it's a good motivator to get them to perform at their best and continue to improve at all times.
Exactly so.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2010, 11:42 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Yeah, I was figuring something like that also, as I forgot to mention...I guess you could be making your NHL salary and not even be playing in the NHL games, correct? In situations, which often happen, where a player gets called up but then for various reasons winds up being carried with the team for a bit, but as a healthy scratch. Like, for instance, I guess Laliberte could be called up for a couple weeks, and spend most or all of that time in the pressbox, and double his take-home salary for the year? That's crazy stuff. Basically, players have gotta be pretty damn stoked when they get called up...no matter how you slice it, no matter the duty.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote